Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
35.43%
30.29%
28.00%
4.00%
1.14%
0%
0%
0.57%
0.57%
0%
0%
MCU can kiss my lilly ass aka Who the hell are these guys?
0%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-14, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
His point was that there were movies that dvdtalk loved, then after a couple of years everyone shots on it. The only one that gets shat on really is IM2, but no one was loving it when it first aired.
I understand his point, and I'm saying that of the MCU movies, the only ones I've seen people be negative about consistently are IM2 and Thor 2 (IM2 definitely more so than Thor 2). And yes, both of those had negative reactions from the beginning.
Old 12-21-14, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just saw it, I liked it, but I liked Super more.
Old 12-21-14, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
I understand his point, and I'm saying that of the MCU movies, the only ones I've seen people be negative about consistently are IM2 and Thor 2 (IM2 definitely more so than Thor 2). And yes, both of those had negative reactions from the beginning.
While true, it does seem like a lot of people come out of the woodwork to talk about how something like Avengers did nothing for them these days.
Old 12-22-14, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Eh, the Marvel movies fill the niche they're trying to fill. I didn't care for The Avengers, Iron Man 2, Thor 2, Captain America 1, The Incredible Hulk, but felt Captain America 2, Thor 1, and Iron Man 3 were worth a single watch. Iron Man was the best of that bunch.

But regardless, they're all competently made for what they are. Though not a single one of them had a great villain, not sure what the deal is with that.

I've watched Guardians a handful of times now, and it's easily my favorite of the bunch despite having terrible villains, and the movie sort of loses a little bit of steam after the half way mark, still it's an actual fun movie.
Old 12-22-14, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Though not a single one of them had a great villain, not sure what the deal is with that.
It's probably because the best Marvel villains belong to Sony and Fox. The Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and X-Men franchises have the best rogues galleries. The Avengers rogues gallery is rather lackluster in comparison.

I have heard rumors that Marvel would like the Fantastic Four property back, not so much as to have the Fantastic Four themselves back, but rather so they could have villains like Doctor Doom and Galactus back.

I wonder what Marvel will do after phase three for villains. Ultron is coming up, and Thanos will be phase three. What other big villains do the Avengers even have? The only big one I can think of is Kang. The rest of the Avengers villains I can think of are minor, like Gravitron (who appeared in Agents of SHIELD already), Taskmaster, and maybe Beyonder if they get desperate.

Last edited by taffer; 12-22-14 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-22-14, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The New York Times says today that GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY was the highest grosser at the U.S. box-office for the year. (TRANSFORMERS 4 was the highest worldwide grosser.)
Old 12-22-14, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hrrmmm. What was the gap between the two in domestic and international take?
Old 12-22-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Guardians of the Galaxy:
Domestic: $332,552,345 43.1%
+ Foreign: $439,600,000 56.9%
= Worldwide: $772,152,345

Transformers 4:
Domestic: $245,439,076 22.6%
+ Foreign: $841,965,423 77.4%
= Worldwide: $1,087,404,499
Old 12-22-14, 10:16 AM
Banned

Hell of a fucking gap in the international.
Old 12-22-14, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snake too lazy to do his own homework like usual.

Taken from wikipedia:

Guardians of the Galaxy:
$332.5 million in North America
$439.6 million in other countries
$772.1 million worldwide

Transformers:
$245,439,076 in North America
$841,850,000 in other territories
$1,087,404,499 worldwide

GOTG did better domestic, but Transformers really killed it overseas making almost double what GOTG did international.

Edit: RichC2 beat me to it, but at least I ain't a lazy fuck like Snake! Geez man how difficult is it to google something or look it up on wikipedia? Lazy ass kids today...
Old 12-22-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
GOTG is pretty plugged into American pop culture jokes, a few may not translate well.
Old 12-22-14, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
Snake too lazy to do his own homework like usual.

Taken from wikipedia:

Guardians of the Galaxy:
$332.5 million in North America
$439.6 million in other countries
$772.1 million worldwide

Transformers:
$245,439,076 in North America
$841,850,000 in other territories
$1,087,404,499 worldwide

GOTG did better domestic, but Transformers really killed it overseas making almost double what GOTG did international.

Edit: RichC2 beat me to it, but at least I ain't a lazy fuck like Snake! Geez man how difficult is it to google something or look it up on wikipedia? Lazy ass kids today...
Why should he look it up when you enablers keep doing the work for him?
Old 12-22-14, 05:52 PM
Banned

Considering somehow DVDtalk isn't blocked at work but other movie sites are...even Google somehow. So therefore...the asking.
Old 12-22-14, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

To be fair to Snake, a lot of what is talked about here could be Googled. But when someone brings up the box office take, there's nothing wrong with asking for some follow-up info.
Old 12-27-14, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Funny that you bumped this thread, taffer. Yesterday I tried giving GotG another shot. I only made it until when they first arrive at the prison (just before Drax shows up). I just can't get into it. So I took out the disc and watched CA:TWS again. That one fires on all cylinders for me.
Creepy. Last week I tried watching Guardians, and I literally turned it off at the exact same time due to boredom and disinterest. This genre of films, the comic book based actioners is simply not working for me. For the record, I also disliked The Winter Soldier and even Avengers. I'd like to give them up completely, but I keep hearing how this latest film is "different" than the last comic book flick. I'm just not seeing it.
Old 12-28-14, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
I'd like to give them up completely, but I keep hearing how this latest film is "different" than the last comic book flick. I'm just not seeing it.
Well, once the good guys start dying off (For Good) within the next 4 films
Spoiler:
(You'll have to skip Ant-Man & Doctor Strange for that)

we might be getting some different responses towards these films.
Old 12-28-14, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Creepy. Last week I tried watching Guardians, and I literally turned it off at the exact same time due to boredom and disinterest. This genre of films, the comic book based actioners is simply not working for me. For the record, I also disliked The Winter Soldier and even Avengers. I'd like to give them up completely, but I keep hearing how this latest film is "different" than the last comic book flick. I'm just not seeing it.
It's okay, Not all people are meant to enjoy all films.
Old 12-28-14, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are a lego fan, TRU is selling exclusive Rocket with baby groot minifigures. Not sure how long these have been out, but they haven't been out longer than a month:

Old 12-28-14, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

BTW, since I've been looking at a lot of "Best movies of the year" videos, I still can't believe how many people keep on saying that GOTG has an "80's soundtrack".
Old 12-29-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
Just saw this.

Cons: The 70's song soundtrack was a bit gimmicky--yes, it worked okay in this film, but I would hope this type of thing isn't a trend, as it could get old really fast. Also, some of the non-humorous dialogue was a bit stiff and expository here and there.

Those are minor nitpicks, however----another winner from Marvel. Especially compared to something like Man of Steel, this was bright and fun rather than dour and gloomy--yet it still had some depth and characters you cared about. As a 35+ year (casual) Marvel reader, it's just satisfying to see their rich universe brought to life and treated respectfully. I always liked their cosmic characters, and this really opened up that world and made you want to see more. I think it points to the great resource Marvel has with all their years of talented storytelling from creative people in the comics----as opposed to something like the Transformers franchise, whose basic backstory was written by the toy marketing department of Hasbro (or whoever). Great seeing the Nova Corps in action! Great action and big cinematic scenes and sci-fi images, good humor, and distinct, likable characters----a fun ride.
I know this is a super old post, but the Transformers backstory was actually created by Marvel. Hasbro got the license to the toys and went to Marvel for story, Jim Shooter did a hurried 8 page treatment and then asked for a last minute volunteer (on Thanksgiving weekend) to flesh the characters and backstory out, and Bob Budiansky in a single week came up with all the names and tech spec histories.

Shooter wrote a couple of entries about this:
http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/06/se...rs-part-1.html
http://www.jimshooter.com/2011/06/se...rs-part-2.html

Of course, you were probably pointing to the Transformers movies, which didn't use any of this info, but it is amazing that this (and GI Joe) were developed by Marvel creative talent and are still held onto fondly by so many fans.

---

So anyway, I just saw the movie. I'm a huge Guardians fan from the Valentino incarnation to the Abnett and Lanning series, but I rarely see movies in theaters, and finally had time to watch the blu (btw... I like the steelbook, and I understand the theme, but no title on the spine?)

I avoided this thread like the plague even though I knew most of the plot points of the movie. Loved the move just as I thought I would, though the treatment of the Nova corps made me a little sad... but still, Nova on the big screen!

I didn't really understand why Quill thought the Nova Force would be a good guardian for the Infinity Stone. I realize Ronan had the power of the stone, but they were basically annihilated by a rogue Kree faction and a bunch of suicide bombers. And their big secret weapon is a net, which takes up their entire fleet and does nothing but stop the progress of one ship? Hopefully there's actually a Nova Force sometime in the future.

I don't mind the Collector being brought down like that... he was brought down by the Infinity Stone, not by Ronan or anything, so we still have no idea how powerful he really is.

Momma Quill's gift was a big surprise to me. I was expecting some kind of legacy from his father, showing him that he had some alien heritage, or even pieces of his "Element Gun." But that present fit perfectly.
Old 04-07-15, 05:47 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally got around to seeing this (had been saving it), watched it on bluray on my new 130 inch screen with HD projector

Looked and sounded great !

Marvel definitely got this right. Putting Marvel cosmic universe characters on screen in a somewhat believable way which can tie into the rest of the MCU in the future was a fine balancing act

I can already picture Groot and the Hulk fighting side by side, ditto Rocket and Iron man

i was a bit disappointed that Groot didn't grow as big as he does in the comics

Rocket Racoon looked so believable from the first second he was on screen. I forgot he was a cgi character. I would have loved to have seen his gun go just a bit bigger

Thanos was cool, Ronan the Accuser a tad disappointing

Going to be interesting to see how the weaker avengers like Hawkeye and Black widow hang with the power of the characters in the future films
Old 04-07-15, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
Going to be interesting to see how the weaker avengers like Hawkeye and Black widow hang with the power of the characters in the future films
I was pleasantly surprised in the Avengers that they kept those two relevant. But you are right, especially Black Widow has no super powers so fighting side by side will be difficult. Once Hawkeye runs out of arrows he's a doorstop.
Old 04-27-15, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

finally got around to seeing it. My previous exposure to the characters was limited to the avengers assemble cartoon. I figured it might have some level of tie in to avengers 2 though so I should watch it before A2

should have seen it sooner. It was a lot of fun.
Old 04-27-15, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

So when Zoe Saldana's career ends she will have at least 7 films in which she played a character with green or blue skin. Unlike some others I think this movie holds up really well to re-viewings.
Old 08-03-15, 08:14 AM
wlj
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love this movie so, so much. I didn't see it in the theaters, only on blu-ray. I have seen it 4 times total. Me and my son watched it twice this weekend. GotG and Big Hero 6 are the two best marvel films in my opinion. GotG is a feast for the eyes and is so fun to watch. There is nothing about this movie I don't like. I love it even more after every repeat viewing.

This is the Star Wars of the new century so far. No, it won't have the cultural impact SW has, but as far as sci fi/space flicks it is right up there with it. I can't wait for the sequel.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.