Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
35.43%
30.29%
28.00%
4.00%
1.14%
0%
0%
0.57%
0.57%
0%
0%
MCU can kiss my lilly ass aka Who the hell are these guys?
0%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 07:09 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Guardians of the Galaxy" (Starring: Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Lee Pace, Bradley Cooper, Vin Diesel, Dave Bautista)

Release Date:
8/1/14

Rating:
PG-13 (for intense sequences of sci-fi violence and action, and brief strong language throughout.)

Running Time:
122m. (2h. 02m.)

Budget:
$150 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
After stealing a mysterious orb in the far reaches of outer space, Peter Quill, a half human/half alien is now the main target of a manhunt lead by the villain known as Ronan the Accuser. To help fight Ronan and his team and save the galaxy from his power, Quill creates a team known as the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' to save the world.

IMDb Info and Rating:
9.0 (4,767 votes as of 7/31/14

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:68 Rotten:08 (89% as of 7/31/14)

Metacritic:
74 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/31/14)

Trailer:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://v.traileraddict.com/92279" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" mozallowfullscreen="true" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Poster Art:

Old 07-24-14, 07:11 PM

Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

reviews are flooding in. i'm just so excited!!
Old 07-24-14, 07:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question: why not just use a YouTube trailer?
Old 07-24-14, 07:24 PM

i like traileraddict.com.
Old 07-29-14, 02:35 PM

IMDb Info and Rating:
9.0 (3,412 votes as of 7/29/14

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:32 Rotten:01 (97% as of 7/29/14)

Metacritic:
77 metascore ('Generally favorable reviews' as of 7/29/14)
Old 07-29-14, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This was gigantic fun and exceeded my (reserved) expectations at every level. Well directed, well paced, great action direction, and most of all very, very funny. I hope this breaks August records because Gunn & Co deserve it. May be the first movie of the year I see twice.
Old 07-29-14, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

I am dying to know about the after credits scene that they just shot recently.
Old 07-30-14, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Much like early prints of The Avengers, there was no after-credits scene. That's OK, I will see this again. Very soon.
Old 07-30-14, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's Thursday night screenings tomorrow night for the US, so the UK might have screenings tonight since it releases tomorrow there.

We should know what the top secret credit scene is soon.
Old 07-30-14, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
I do as well, they have been so secretive about it, I hope its really something good. Or could be as good as Tony Stark and Bruce Banner playing shrink (Which was funny though)
Old 07-30-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
This was gigantic fun and exceeded my (reserved) expectations at every level. Well directed, well paced, great action direction, and most of all very, very funny. I hope this breaks August records because Gunn & Co deserve it. May be the first movie of the year I see twice.
Would you call it a true 'family' movie, where most members of a family could go watch? (IE Kids)
Old 07-30-14, 10:33 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it has some sexuality and alien blood flowing about in the air.
Old 07-30-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Thompson on Hollywood has nice things to say about it:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...nster-20140729
Old 07-30-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

From the above review
The real question is what Marvel's got that the Hollywood studios don't--presumably a deep understanding of the Marvel world and a desire to share it with an audience. They're saying, "we love and believe in this and know you will too." As opposed to: "eat this pablum that we made sweet and tasty so you'll like it."
A cogent and concise an outline of the schism between the way Marvel approaches it's properties for live action and the way Warner/DC approaches theirs.
Old 07-30-14, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Looks like we know why a certain character was listed in the credits now:

Credits scene info:
Spoiler:
he scene, which briefly appeared over at Vulture before being yanked, is essentially a one-off joke. Yet it boasts a surprise - a character Marvel owns and that Gunn has previously indicated he's a big fan of. In a film that takes a lot of chances, the appearance is actually pretty daring.

The sequence opens on Benecio del Toro’s The Collector character, beaten up and exhausted, sitting in what remains of his collection following events in the film. Cosmo, the Russian dog, comes over to lick his face as The Collector takes a drink from a green cup.

A voice offscreen says "What do you let him lick you like that for?" and pans over to.... Howard the Duck. This Howard doesn't look like the tubby, blue-eyed version seen in the infamous film flop, it's a much more duck-like design. "Gross," the duck says before drinking from a similar green cup. Cut to a title card: 'Howard the Duck created by Steve Gerber and Val Mayerik'.
Old 07-30-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

My friend enjoyed it:

While the word is out on what the future holds for the films from Marvel Studios, they are currently in a place of comfort, as the films produced are consistently entertaining, despite fitting into familiar structures. Given that the films all have reasonable budgets and lots of talent both behind and in front of the camera, it is not too much of a surprise that audiences generally really enjoy these movies. Guardians of the Galaxy is both the wildest step yet for Marvel and the biggest risk since 2008’s Iron Man, as it is based on an obscure comic property and lacks huge name stars in the lead roles for audiences to be easily sold on the film. With that in mind, Guardians of the Galaxy will be a real test of the Marvel brand. It helps that the film is very good. It may only break some new ground, given the setting and style of the film, but even while fitting into a familiar mold, it is a total blast of space opera-style joy.

http://whysoblu.com/the-guardians-of...-movie-review/
Old 07-30-14, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I loved it - most fun movie of the year. I was already a fan of James Gunn going in and he kills it. Great scripts, awesome music choices, stellar action and PERFECT casting. I've known for years how awesome Chris Pratt is but now the world will know. Quill is excellent and totally earns the comparisons to characters like Mal Reynolds and Han Solo (hell, even Rocket and Groot are kind of like a Han & Chewie duo). I thought this movie had a ton of heart and they really sold the emotion of the ending without going overboard or getting me to roll my eyes. The 3D was solid and I can't wait to see it again in IMAX.
Old 07-30-14, 10:03 PM

I just came out of a preview screening.

Fantastic movie, quite possibly my favorite in the Marvel canon so far. Solid storytelling, hilarious at times, great directing (especially the action sequences, but everything looked so lush), and a lot of heart.
Old 07-31-14, 09:04 AM

how was the 3D? post-convert?
Old 07-31-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's an excerpt from my full review:

After opening in 1988, with the abduction of Peter's nine-year-old self from Earth by Yondu (Michael Rooker, a Gunn regular) and his band of space pirates, the Ravagers, the film wastes little time, leaping ahead 26 years to the abandoned planet of Morag, where we bear witness to Peter's liberation of a mysterious orb (whose importance shall soon be made apparent) from its resting place amid the ruins of some cavernous temple. It’s a rollicking scene — made even more enjoyable by the classic rock soundtrack played through Peter's vintage walkman, a gimmick that Gunn uses to great effect throughout the film — that pays playful homage to Raiders of the Lost Ark, quickly establishing Peter as a rogue and a scoundrel who's cut from the same cloth as another iconic Harrison Ford role, Han Solo.

Pratt does an impeccable job of translating the comic timing he's honed on Parks and Recreation to his new gig as a buff action hero, and the rest of the cast follows suit, exuding just the right amount of charm to bring their oddball characters to life. Bautista (a former wrestler) gives his most endearing performance to date, as a muscle-man (and occasional comic relief) with a soft spot, while Saldana is at her usual best as an alien femme fatale who carries the extra burden of being the last of her species. Surprisingly, however, it's Rocket and Groot who end up being the heart of the team (and the film). Thanks to bleeding-edge visual effects and pitch-perfect voice work by Cooper and Diesel, the pair come across as authentic as any of the other characters and not merely visual gags.

But for all its zany characters (including Doctor Who's Karen Gillan as the bald, blue-skinned, cybernetically-enhanced assassin, Nebula) and head-spinning sci-fi plot points, what it ultimately boils down to is a fun time at the movies. Because while there's a definite pathos underlying the story and its characters, Guardians of the Galaxy isn't defined by it, which places it in stark contrast to the grim-n-gritty Captain America: The Winter Soldier (the "other Marvel movie" to have been released this year). Even The Avengers, which previously held the title of being the most tongue-in-cheek Marvel movie to date (thanks to writer/director Joss Whedon), pales in comparison.
4.5 out of 5. Loved the visual nods to The Empire Strikes Back (Peter coming up through the airlock of the Milano reminded me of Lando coming up through the airlock of the Millenium Falcon, and Ronan speaking to the giant holographic projection of Thanos' head called to mind Vader speaking with the Emperor) and the cameos (like Cosmo the Dog) in The Collector scene as well.
Old 07-31-14, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Kyle Smith gives it one star in the New York Post:

http://nypost.com/2014/07/31/guardia...is-space-junk/

Here are the first and last paragraphs of it:

“Guardians of the Galaxy” brings to mind some of the most unforgettable sci-fi event movies of the last 30 years. Alas, those films are “Howard the Duck” and “Green Lantern.”
The one-liners in “Star Wars,” an obvious inspiration, got laughs while maintaining the illusion that the characters were in danger.

Here, a joke about “Footloose” does the opposite. Told that a legendary hero called Kevin Bacon saved the people who had sticks up their butts, Saldana’s character asks, “Who put the sticks up their butts?” It’s supposed to be Drax’s job to be the sitcom cretin here, but in “Guardians of the Galaxy” there’s so much stupid being delivered that everybody has to chip in.
Old 07-31-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I got to see it with a big group of local cosplayers this afternoon through a special arrangement with a local theater and Marvel Studios due to one of them being part of a 5-person group winning a contest on hosting community service events through Marvel cosplay, and that was a good crowd to watch this kind of film.

The film has the tough task of introducing a lot of characters, give some insight to what motivates them, and come up with reasons for banding together, and for objectives to be accomplished through uneasy alliances. But, for the most part, the script is funny enough to keep it all together throughout its 2+ hour running time, while showing the audience a cosmically-fueled backdrop for which the main characters are pitted against one another, directly or at cross-purposes for plenty of adventure and even some unlikely heroics from this hodge-podge of not-so-charitable personalities.

Solid fun all around.

I saw it in RPX 3D, and it was a good presentation, both in brightness and the 3D post-conversion. No complaints.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 07-31-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Kyle Smith gives it one star in the New York Post:

http://nypost.com/2014/07/31/guardia...is-space-junk/

Here are the first and last paragraphs of it:
Sounds like that guy has a stick up his butt.
Old 07-31-14, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Just got back from it, one of the better movies from Marvel. The projector conked out during a key action sequence though, so I'm about to write to Regal about that shit.
Old 07-31-14, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just back from seeing GOTG at the local faux IMAX 3D. What a fun movie! The house was packed, and the audience was laughing so hard at some scenes that I could not hear some of the dialogue. Every member of the Guardians had their hero moments, and there were a few down right heartfelt scenes. There was a couple of scenes with a bit of crude dialogue, but overall, a rather enjoyable, exciting, and very funny movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.