Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
35.43%
30.29%
28.00%
4.00%
1.14%
0%
0%
0.57%
0.57%
0%
0%
MCU can kiss my lilly ass aka Who the hell are these guys?
0%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 07:57 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
Re: Guardians of the Galaxy (Gunn, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

I didn't appreciate the fact that IM3 barely had Ironman in it. I thought the multi-Ironmen fight at the end was a bit sillier than the usual stuff. But the airplane part was cool, saving everyone mid-air.
Old 12-15-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

To me the best example of where Black zigged where he should have zagged was the final battle. After seeing Stark's iron man suits fail throughout the movie we finally get our big hero moment where the suit is flying toward Stark, we're about to see it finally work correctly so Stark can kick some ass as Iron Man and instead we get one last cheap laugh of the suit falling apart just as it's about to assemble around Stark. Do you chuckle? Maybe, but the movie would have been so much better had that cheap laugh been shelved for a great action sequence. thats one example but the movie was littered with stuff like that throughout.
Old 12-15-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

IM3 was great if you watched it as a funny buddy cop movie, ala Lethal Weapon, as a superhero movie, not so much.
Old 12-15-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
To me the best example of where Black zigged where he should have zagged was the final battle. After seeing Stark's iron man suits fail throughout the movie we finally get our big hero moment where the suit is flying toward Stark, we're about to see it finally work correctly so Stark can kick some ass as Iron Man and instead we get one last cheap laugh of the suit falling apart just as it's about to assemble around Stark. Do you chuckle? Maybe, but the movie would have been so much better had that cheap laugh been shelved for a great action sequence. thats one example but the movie was littered with stuff like that throughout.
I think the worst part of IM3 for me, save for the twist, was that he went to Miami without the suit because it wasn't fully powered, but it flies to him a short time after he gets caught. He couldn't wait a half an hour to charge it before leaving???
Old 12-20-14, 08:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally watched GOTG tonight. I give it a 4 out of 5. It is good, but not great.

I think the biggest thing is that while I do like these characters, they just are not as appealing to me as the "classic" Avengers of IM, Cap, Thor, and Hulk. I never actually read any GOTG comics at all, so I am completely new to these characters.

I also hate pop culture references. That shit if a major turn-off for me. Yes, I know previous MCU movies have had pop culture references as well, but just a few. GOTG was full of them. It's why I can't stand watching TV shows like Community because it's just non-stop pop culture reference one after another.

I do like GOTG, but it doesn't live up to the hype for me.

My rankings of the MCU:
1. Avengers
2. Iron Man
3. Captain America Winter Soldier
4. Thor
5. Guardians of the Galaxy
6. Incredible Hulk
7. Thor The Dark World
8. Captain America The First Avenger
9. Iron Man 2
10. Iron Man 3

I like all the MCU movies, even the ones at the bottom of my list. And yes, I do rank Thor that highly. I love that movie. Thor is my favorite Marvel superhero. I especially love the Destroyer scene with Thor finally becoming worthy of Mjolnir again. I get a big smile on my face every time I watch it.
Old 12-20-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Funny that you bumped this thread, taffer. Yesterday I tried giving GotG another shot. I only made it until when they first arrive at the prison (just before Drax shows up). I just can't get into it. So I took out the disc and watched CA:TWS again. That one fires on all cylinders for me.

A friend just offered to buy GotG from me. I think I'll take him up on his offer.
Old 12-20-14, 08:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Funny that you bumped this thread, taffer. Yesterday I tried giving GotG another shot. I only made it until when they first arrive at the prison (just before Drax shows up). I just can't get into it. So I took out the disc and watched CA:TWS again. That one fires on all cylinders for me.

A friend just offered to buy GotG from me. I think I'll take him up on his offer.
It wasn't much of a bump considering the last post before mine was five days ago.

Anyway, I don't dislike GOTG at all. I like all the MCU movies. I have marathoned them all twice, and I plan to do so a third time before watching Age of Ultron. I plan to do all of phase one on a Saturday, and then all of phase two on a Sunday.

Man, by the time we get up to phase four or five this is going to become one long marathon... Even more so if I start including Agents of SHIELD in the marathon...
Old 12-20-14, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by taffer
It wasn't much of a bump considering the last post before mine was five days ago.
I don't mean it due to the length. It was just coincidental that I saw the thread bumped right after my friend offered to buy the BD from me.

Anyway, I don't dislike GOTG at all. I like all the MCU movies. I have marathoned them all twice, and I plan to do so a third time before watching Age of Ultron. I plan to do all of phase one on a Saturday, and then all of phase two on a Sunday.

Man, by the time we get up to phase four or five this is going to become one long marathon... Even more so if I start including Agents of SHIELD in the marathon...
I've done a phase one marathon and it was fun. I couldn't do a phase two marathon until my copy of IM3 arrived today. I'm in the minority in that I very much enjoy it (and for the reasons most dislike it - Tony out of armor and relying on his wits, the humor, the twist, etc).

The only other MCU movies that I ever disliked were IM2 and T:TDW. I've grown to simply tolerate them (and actually enjoy certain elements within them) and I assumed I could do the same with GotG. But I couldn't even finish a second viewing. I've been able to watch the other two to completion several times. But GotG just fails to connect with me in every level.

Last edited by RocShemp; 12-20-14 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I think the cast of GoG trumps the Avengers.
Old 12-21-14, 05:02 AM
Banned

I'm in the minority in that I very much enjoy it (and for the reasons most dislike it - Tony out of armor and relying on his wits, the humor, the twist, etc).
Yeah, I liked the Mandarin twist. I don't care if it isn't exactly like the comics. No movie ever is. I also didn't mind that the movie was mostly about Tony and not Iron Man. We had three movies with Iron Man already (Iron Man 1+2 and Avengers) so let's give some time to Tony. Who cares. The only thing I really dislike about Iron Man 3 is the stupid kid subplot, but it's not enough to make me dislike the whole movie.

Now that I have had time to think about my viewing of GOTG a little more, I can think of some other things I didn't really like. I didn't really like that there wasn't much backstory. I know people hate origins, but that is for well-trodden characters like Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man. GOTG is unknown to most people, so their backstories should have been explored more.

Why did Yondu kidnap Peter Quill in the first place 20 years ago? That's never really explained. It's a running joke that Yondu says Peter should be grateful that they never ate him, but is that really it? Do they just go around kidnapping people to cannibalize them?

I think they mentioned that Rocket was actually created through an accident where someone gave sentience to a raccoon or something like that. So Rocket is completely unique? He's not an actual alien species with others of his kind?

The movie also suffers from typical villain overload that always happens when there are several villains in one movie. Ronan, Nebula, and Korath are too many villains for one movie. None of them are really fleshed out very well.

I also didn't like that they didn't explain the Infinity Stones very well. The backstory was only like a minute long. I am a comic fanatic, like most people here know, but I am mostly a DC fanatic. I don't really read much Marvel at all. Greater than 90% of my comic collection is DC. I am very unfamiliar with cosmic Marvel, so I never read anything with Infinity Gems or Thanos before. I wish the movie would have explained it more. All it basically said was that the Infinity Stones are basically older than the Big Bang itself, and only beings of "great power" can wield them or something.

And what about the Collector himself? What is his motivation? Is he a villain or what? He apparently enslaves people to work for him, and adds them to his collection when they displease him. Why is he collecting the Infinity Stones? Is he planning to destroy the universe with them? Is he planning to give them to Thanos? Or does he just want them in his collection like people who collect comics or baseball cards or whatever? I just don't understand what his purpose is, and I wish they would give more explanation to his character.

Also, isn't the Nova Corps significantly more powerful in the comics? Like I said before I am unfamiliar with cosmic Marvel, but I always thought they were basically equivalent to the Green Lantern Corps from DC. The Nova Corps in the movie seemed largely ineffectual. Similar to the Mandarin twist, I don't mind that they changed the Nova Corps, but it does seem like they wrote themselves into a corner if they ever wanted to make a Nova movie with Richard Rider in the future.

Last edited by taffer; 12-21-14 at 05:11 AM.
Old 12-21-14, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why did Yondu kidnap Peter Quill in the first place 20 years ago? That's never really explained. It's a running joke that Yondu says Peter should be grateful that they never ate him, but is that really it? Do they just go around kidnapping people to cannibalize them?
They mention it in two brief sentences (once when you first meet Yondu and finally towards the end of the movie). Apparently, Quill's dad is an alien and hired Yondu to fetch his son. Yondu liked the kid and pretty much said "fuck it. I'm keeping him."

The movie also suffers from typical villain overload that always happens when there are several villains in one movie. Ronan, Nebula, and Korath are too many villains for one movie. None of them are really fleshed out very well.
All the villains (Thanos included) had zero menace and were unmemorable. Hell, I keep forgetting the lead Smurf with dark cum all over his face is called Ronan.
Old 12-21-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree that the villains weren't fleshed out (many people agree with that). And yes, what is the deal with the nova corps? Is it changed for the MCU, or are the powerful nova members elsewhere? And if they are elsewhere, why the hell wouldn't they all be called back help defend?

As for the Collector, he collects things. That's basically it. If there is something nefarious to his collecting the stones, why does it have to be revealed in this movie? Many aspects of the MCU are a slow burn.

Same can be said regarding the character backstory. Gunn was going for ragtag outlaw gang movie. You don't get fleshed out backstories for every character. We got a few lines explaining each person (Aside from quill), and that's all that's needed IMO. Did we really need to see rocket being created, or drax's family getting murdered? I say no.

And yes, yondu's motivation for kidnapping quill was mentioned a few times. As early as his first appearance (henchman says "we shoulda delivered him like we were hired to do"), and then later when they reveal that it was quill's father that hired them.

Not saying there aren't nitpicks to be had with the film (like the villains, as mentioned). But these other items were fleshed out enough for me. Not everything needs to be a drawn-out explanation. I know marvel decently well, but never really followed GOTG. In fact, I knew more about the early team that had yondu on it over this new team.

Last edited by Big Boy Laroux; 12-21-14 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-21-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

This will be one of the first MCU movies I do not purchase. I couldn't get into this one at all either. The third act is horrible; the whole movie is been there done that with a ragtag bunch of anti-heroes. I am quite stunned at all the love this is getting. Especially from this board. But in a couple of years everyone here will be shitting on it like they do with the other past MCU movies when they loved them when first released.
Old 12-21-14, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
But in a couple of years everyone here will be shitting on it like they do with the other past MCU movies when they loved them when first released.
You say that as if it's an actual thing, rather than a construction entirely inside your own head.
Old 12-21-14, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

RockShemp, so you hated this, but liked the Transformers movies? WTF?!
Old 12-21-14, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
You say that as if it's an actual thing, rather than a construction entirely inside your own head.
It is stated in this actual thread. You apparently don't read very well. Read any MCU thread its there...people forget you can go back and see what they rated a movie in past threads.
Old 12-21-14, 12:55 PM
Banned

They mention it in two brief sentences (once when you first meet Yondu and finally towards the end of the movie). Apparently, Quill's dad is an alien and hired Yondu to fetch his son. Yondu liked the kid and pretty much said "fuck it. I'm keeping him."

All the villains (Thanos included) had zero menace and were unmemorable. Hell, I keep forgetting the lead Smurf with dark cum all over his face is called Ronan.
I saw the part where Quill's father was an alien, but I guess I missed it where they said he hired Yondu to get Quill. Which leads me to ask, why didn't Quill's father just go to to Earth and do it himself? And wouldn't he have some point over the last 20 years tried to find Yondu and get his son back?

I don't count Thanos as being a villain in the movie. He was just a cameo appearance like the Emperor in Empire Strikes Back. (And like the Emperor one of his two appearances was a hologram.) That was kind of dumb for Thanos to meet Ronan through hologram once Ronan got the Orb though. Why did Thanos not meet Ronan in the flesh again, then he could have killed Ronan for his betrayal? Convenient plot device...

Do the Nova Corps not actually know about the Infinity Stones? Quill gives a message to John C. Reilly's character that Ronan has the Orb Infinity Stone. Then he relays the message to Glenn Closes's character and says something like, "Ronan has an Infinity Stone whatever that means." Reilly's character acted like he had never heard of Infinity Stones before. Close's character maybe acted like she knew what they were, but it's still weird that a key ranking Nova member wouldn't know.

Is this summary of the known Infinity Stones correct?

1. Tesseract - on Asgard in Odin's Vault
2. Aether -The Collector has it, but since his place was blown up in GOTG who knows now
3. Orb - Nova Corps has it
4. Loki's scepter - Not sure where this one is currently
5. Unknown
6. Unknown

I haven't started the second season of Agents of SHIELD yet, but I have heard the Kree have a big part in it. So I wonder if it has any ties to GOTG. Season one had ties to Iron Man 3, Thor The Dark World, and Captain America Winter Soldier.
Old 12-21-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Baron Strucker has Loki's Sceptor at the end of Winter Soldier.

Season 2 of Shield mentions the Kree, but they don't have a big direct part in what happens other then just being a mysterious plot device. There aren't really any direct ties to Guardians.
Old 12-21-14, 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Baron Strucker has Loki's Sceptor at the end of Winter Soldier.
Yeah, I keep forgetting that scene.

Season 2 of Shield mentions the Kree, but they don't have a big direct part in what happens other then just being a mysterious plot device. There aren't really any direct ties to Guardians.
It's just what I have heard that
Spoiler:
the Inhumans have been introduced (with Skye being revealed as an Inhuman) and the Kree are responsible for creating them.
Old 12-21-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

It's just what I have heard that
Spoiler:
the Inhumans have been introduced (with Skye being revealed as an Inhuman) and the Kree are responsible for creating them.
All true, but those are just the culmination of everything that's been going on from the dangling plot lines from the first season and really only unfold the last couple episodes. The Kree are mentioned by name maybe only once or twice, and standalone without GotG as reference.
Old 12-21-14, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
But in a couple of years everyone here will be shitting on it like they do with the other past MCU movies when they loved them when first released.
Old 12-21-14, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Only movie I see people shit on are IM2 and Thor 2. And most of the time, it's just remarking that they are their least favorite MCU films.

People do take issue with the action directing in Avengers, but I don't see people shitting on it.
Old 12-21-14, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

And what about the Collector himself? What is his motivation? Is he a villain or what? He apparently enslaves people to work for him, and adds them to his collection when they displease him. Why is he collecting the Infinity Stones? Is he planning to destroy the universe with them? Is he planning to give them to Thanos? Or does he just want them in his collection like people who collect comics or baseball cards or whatever? I just don't understand what his purpose is, and I wish they would give more explanation to his character.
Think of The Collector as Alan Smithee and the Infinity Stones as VHS tapes. Then go read the thread of the year.
Old 12-21-14, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Only movie I see people shit on are IM2 and Thor 2. And most of the time, it's just remarking that they are their least favorite MCU films.

People do take issue with the action directing in Avengers, but I don't see people shitting on it.
His point was that there were movies that dvdtalk loved, then after a couple of years everyone shots on it. The only one that gets shat on really is IM2, but no one was loving it when it first aired.
Old 12-21-14, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Think of The Collector as Alan Smithee and the Infinity Stones as VHS tapes. Then go read the thread of the year.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.