Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat (Liman, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Edge of Tomorrow (Liman, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
13.79%
26.44%
44.83%
11.49%
2.30%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
YAAWMWMT (Yet Another Apocalyptic Wasteland Movie With Mechanical Things)
1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat (Liman, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-14, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts
re: Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat (Liman, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by My Other Self
I don't know what he can do at this point to reset his image.

Honestly, Cruise's dislike (if indeed it's as bad as everyone thinks - I'm not sure it is) only extends to the borders of the United States, because - honestly - we're the only civilized country that gives a rat's ass about a person's religious beliefs. Edge of Tomorrow has already made a cool $180 million overseas - assuring that Warners will still turn a profit when all is said and done.

If you have the time, I encourage everyone to go and listen to Chris Hardwick's podcast with Cruise on www.nerdist.com - you might come away with a different opinion about him.

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 06-15-14 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-15-14, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 130 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt

If you have the time, I encourage everyone to go and listen to Chris Hardwick's podcast with Cruise on www.nerdist.com - you might come away with a different opinion about him.

Just started listening to it. Wow - good find. They're having a ball shooting the shit.
Old 06-20-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I saw the movie today and enjoyed the hell out of it. It is certainly the kind of story i have seen before, but it felt fresh and was really well done. On a side note, anyone ever read Bad Company when it was printed in 2000AD? The story of Danny Franks and the Krool Heart was coming through my mind with this movie a lot....which is a good thing.

With regards to Mr. Cruise, i like the guy. I don't give a shit about his religious beliefs, he makes damn entertaining movies and he always seems to really invest himself in them. I don't get why he seems to get so much hate in the US these days. So he had a rough patch and did a few silly things....hell we have all been there, and there are loads more celebs who have been through the same anfd acted much worse.
Old 06-20-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

He hasn't been bankable in a long time. I don't know what he can do at this point to reset his image.
Old 06-20-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is something from Bad Company that i was thinking of for the climax of this movie. Funny that All You Need Is Kill was published in 2004 but Bad Company was originally published (for the Krool Heart storyline anyway) back in 1988. Its well with checking out. In fact 2000AD was a wealth of great characters and stories. Still waiting on movies for Strontium Dog, Rogue Trooper and Nemesis the Warlock.

Spoiler:
Old 06-20-14, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
I like the guy, but I don't know if I'd still consider him part of Hollywood's A-list. M:i - GP seems to be the exception of his movies being a hit versus the norm. I'm not including international receipts because I believe his religion is more of a problem with people here than in other countries, but in the States I don't think he can pull in crowds like he used to. These weren't hits in the US:

Oblivion
Jack Reacher
Knight and Day
Rock of Ages
Valkyrie
Lions for Lambs

Then you have an established franchise like Mission: Impossible (for M:i-III and M:i-GP), a Steven Spielberg helmed Sci-Fi film (War of the Worlds), and a cameo in Tropic Thunder. These, along with Collateral (which did break the $100mil mark here in the states) are his output for the last 10 years.

This isn't a bash, but as a general consensus I don't know if you can say that people are having a difficult time separating real-life Tom from his movies.
Old 06-20-14, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These weren't hits in the US:

Oblivion
Jack Reacher
Knight and Day
Rock of Ages
Yet they were all entertaining and highly underrated, all due to this country's hatred of the man. (Okay, Rock of Ages is more of a guilty pleasure.)

Outside of Valkyrie and Lions for Lambs which are two of his biggest misfires (ever), I still see his work on opening weekend. Cruise is still one of the few actors who I think is still truly a "movie star."
Old 06-20-14, 03:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yet they were all entertaining and highly underrated, all due to this country's hatred of the man. (Okay, Rock of Ages is more of a guilty pleasure.)

Outside of Valkyrie and Lions for Lambs which are two of his biggest misfires (ever), I still see his work on opening weekend. Cruise is still one of the few actors who I think is still truly a "movie star."
Oblivion was ok and I really like Jack Reacher. Knight and Day and Rock of Ages were not highly underrated. They were pretty bad movies.
Old 06-20-14, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

Oblivion
Jack Reacher
Mission Impossible 4

are awesome. I'm going to give Knight and Day another chance but I hated the first 30 minutes I watched. Maybe I was in a bad mood. I have no desire to watch ROck of Ages. I also enjoyed parts of Lions For Lambs and enjoyed Valkyrie. I've never thought Cruise was a freakshow and believe they blew the stupid couch jumping thing way out of proportion. At the time he was just happy to be banging one of the most desirable women in the entertainment industry. Most dudes in his position would have been jumping up and down too.

I think the last flick of his I thought was garbage was War of the Worlds.
Old 06-22-14, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what is up with tom cruise ripping off duncan jones movies?
Old 07-17-14, 01:41 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Wanted to see this before it got bumped out of 1st run theaters. Managed to see this in 3D (which looked really good IMO), and have no regrets. By far my favorite movie I've seen in a theater this year (I haven't seen a whole lot this year, just not that motivated to go to the theaters with the awful winter we had). Cruise and Blunt were perfect. The action was exciting and funny all at the same time (or at the very least transitioned from thrilling to funny almost seamlessly). I had no problem with the ending; to me it made perfect sense (if you can accept the initial premise, but think the ending is a cop out, I find that a little ironic, but hey, people feel how they feel).

I saw this at a theatre that presents everything in Sony 4K projection or whatever, and I must say it's consistently the best looking image (sound at the theater is superb as well) in my neck of the woods.

I still think the film was promoted too generically. I would have pushed Blunt more in the ads given how successful strong women in action movies have been in the last couple of years with The Hunger Games movies and Divergent, though maybe Blunt's too "old" or not established enough to appeal to younger female audiences (just pure speculation, I have no idea). But perhaps this was doomed to disappoint domestically with The Fault of Our Stars released the same weekend and 22 Jump Street the week for young females, and too "sci-fi" and Tom Cruise-centric to be on a lot of people's radar, which is a shame. I can't think of many other actors who could have pulled it off like Cruise. He is not to blame for it underperforming; he is why it has made close to $100m despite a bad and crowded release date.

This movie is going to do very well with home video sales/viewing; that I have no doubt. I think WB made a huge mistake not releasing this in April and releasing Transcendence, well, whenever, considering how much people didn't care for that one, and Cruise proved he can open a movie very well in April like he had with Oblivion.
Old 07-17-14, 06:20 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to seeing this but probably will wait for the BD. Just had too much going on (wife's badly sprained ankle, business, etc.)...it's on its last legs in theaters here, so don't know if we'll get to see it (I believe it's down to a 10 PM showing, and we'd never make it through awake).

It is :headscratch:ing about the public image of Cruise. If it were about some of his more alleged questionable moves, such as the rumors that he "auditions" prospective gfs/wives sort of like a casting call, I'd understand. I don't see what he & others see in Scientology, but then I think that about a lot of beliefs. If I wrote off entertainers based upon their crazy atheistic views, we'd never watch anything.

Don't watch talk shows since they're just shilling their latest products & rarely tell very entertaining stories (IMHO), but have seen plenty of silly stunts pulled on them. Drew Barrymore can stand on Letterman's table & flash him, but Cruise can't jump on a couch? Cruise must have rubbed a lot of media people the wrong way for it to be portrayed as thought he was going totally bonkers or committing a crime.

Cruise has been in some stinkers, but so has every other A-list actor in Hollywood. Depp? Washington? Will Smith? Streep? Bullock? Go back through film history, and try to find any actors/actresses who worked for a decade or more who didn't have some bombs in their resumes.

I'm not a major Cruise fan, but he does throw himself enthusiastically into his roles (and must have some Dorian Gray-like deal with the devil to maintain his looks). Jack Reacher was one of the biggest surprises we caught on DVD. Like the novels, but didn't see the small-statured Cruise in the role...and the marketing campaign made it seem more like comedy/drama than a thriller.
Old 07-17-14, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

It wasn't the fact that Cruise was acting goofy on Oprah, it was the fact that nobody bought it and he came off as a goofy fraud.

He was good in Jack Reacher but the writing in that movie was just so incredibly bad.
Old 07-17-14, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

Oh, and speaking of Knight and Day, I finally got through it the other day and it was really fun. I don't know what the hell kind of mood I was in when I first saw it but K&D was very cool.

Carry on.
Old 07-17-14, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 463 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Cruise has been in some stinkers, but so has every other A-list actor in Hollywood. Depp? Washington? Will Smith? Streep? Bullock? Go back through film history, and try to find any actors/actresses who worked for a decade or more who didn't have some bombs in their resumes.
True, but I do think Cruise does have a much better track-record than most other A-listers (save for maybe Clooney or Pitt).
Old 07-17-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am not sure why Tom Cruise gets so much hate. I tend to enjoy most of his movies, especially the action orientated ones. He has been smart enough to work with the worlds best directors and this has made his choices interesting. Interview with the Vampire, A Few Good Men, The Firm, Eyes Wide Shut, the Mission Impossibles, Jack Reacher, Knight and Day....the list goes on and on. All enjoyable. Even something like Vanilla Sky which seems to generate a lot of hate i enjoy. EoT was really excellent all round for me.
Old 07-17-14, 12:56 PM

"...you chose the way of the hero. And they found you amusing for a while, the people of this city. But the one thing they love more than a hero is to see a hero fail, fall, die trying. In spite of everything you've done for them, eventually they will hate you..."
Old 07-18-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Brack
Wanted to see this before it got bumped out of 1st run theaters. Managed to see this in 3D (which looked really good IMO), and have no regrets. By far my favorite movie I've seen in a theater this year (I haven't seen a whole lot this year, just not that motivated to go to the theaters with the awful winter we had). Cruise and Blunt were perfect. The action was exciting and funny all at the same time (or at the very least transitioned from thrilling to funny almost seamlessly). I had no problem with the ending; to me it made perfect sense (if you can accept the initial premise, but think the ending is a cop out, I find that a little ironic, but hey, people feel how they feel).

I saw this at a theatre that presents everything in Sony 4K projection or whatever, and I must say it's consistently the best looking image (sound at the theater is superb as well) in my neck of the woods.

I still think the film was promoted too generically. I would have pushed Blunt more in the ads given how successful strong women in action movies have been in the last couple of years with The Hunger Games movies and Divergent, though maybe Blunt's too "old" or not established enough to appeal to younger female audiences (just pure speculation, I have no idea). But perhaps this was doomed to disappoint domestically with The Fault of Our Stars released the same weekend and 22 Jump Street the week for young females, and too "sci-fi" and Tom Cruise-centric to be on a lot of people's radar, which is a shame. I can't think of many other actors who could have pulled it off like Cruise. He is not to blame for it underperforming; he is why it has made close to $100m despite a bad and crowded release date.

This movie is going to do very well with home video sales/viewing; that I have no doubt. I think WB made a huge mistake not releasing this in April and releasing Transcendence, well, whenever, considering how much people didn't care for that one, and Cruise proved he can open a movie very well in April like he had with Oblivion.
Agree. This movie is going to do great in rentals which will probably generate more sales. Because it truly is a fantastic film. "Rock of Ages" aside (which was awful IMO), Cruise has made consistently entertaining movies. I actually loved "Valkyrie". But he absolutely killed his mega success at the box-office starting with that appearance on Oprah to his interview with Matt Lauer.
Old 07-19-14, 01:31 PM

Edge of Tomorrow has done well in foreign markets so hopefully it will be enough to make some profit even if it didn't do so well in the U.S. Really enjoyed it myself, it deserves all the love it can get.
Old 07-19-14, 05:50 PM
Banned

Movie was overrated, a grab-bag of elements from The Matrix, Source Code, Avatar, etc. Ending was cheesy and unnecessary. I don't see it having much replay value. Having to start from the beginning and wade through 40 minutes of Cruise figuring out what the hell is going on again? FF-time. The best part of the movie was when he decides to take a day off and spends the time drinking at a bar.

--
Old 07-19-14, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I thought it was OK as lightweight fun. Basically a conflagration of Groundhog Day, Starship Troopers, and Saving Private Ryan. Not as good as any of them, but a perfectly acceptable popcorn flick.
Old 07-19-14, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
I thought it was OK as lightweight fun. Basically a conflagration of Groundhog Day, Starship Troopers, and Saving Private Ryan. Not as good as any of them, but a perfectly acceptable popcorn flick.
All movies listed, including Edge of Tomorrow, were better than Starship Troopers. Yes, I really didn't think the satire was that clever at all. I liked it better in movies like RoboCop and Total Recall where it was actually clever.
Old 07-20-14, 02:23 PM

Takes elements from other movies but does it cleverly and that is what really matters to me. Easy 8.5/10 out of me.
Old 07-20-14, 03:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Movie was overrated, a grab-bag of elements from The Matrix, Source Code, Avatar, etc. Ending was cheesy and unnecessary. I don't see it having much replay value. Having to start from the beginning and wade through 40 minutes of Cruise figuring out what the hell is going on again? FF-time. The best part of the movie was when he decides to take a day off and spends the time drinking at a bar.

--
Good Lord what a horrible post. And another person using the word overrated when it doesn't apply. The movie if anything is underrated.
Old 07-20-14, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts

The movie has done $357 million but I think I said it would do $400 million. Ohwell. I thought word-of-mouth would propel it higher.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.