Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat (Liman, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Edge of Tomorrow (Liman, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
13.79%
26.44%
44.83%
11.49%
2.30%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
0%
YAAWMWMT (Yet Another Apocalyptic Wasteland Movie With Mechanical Things)
1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat (Liman, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 956 Posts
re: Edge of Tomorrow - Live, Die, Repeat (Liman, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Judging by the comments, those that see it have really enjoyed it.

Judging by number of poll selections, not many have seen it yet (which includes me but I hope fix that tomorrow).
Old 06-08-14, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Yeah but I want to see them work in those suits on set or in training. That'd be cool to see a good chunk of.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nQ_rdGzabw

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3nQ_rdGzabw?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-08-14, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
I had a bit of a problem with the ending.
Glad I'm not the only one. I was fully behind this movie until the ending, which might have ruined it for me. Spoilerizing just so I can go into great detail without ruining it for anyone.

Spoiler:
I really appreciated how they built toward the ending. Clearly, he was going to "not die", get a transfusion, and lose the power, setting up a last chance for victory scenario. I didn't foresee him regaining the power, simply because it would undo everything if he did a reset. He can reset time, not alter reality! If he regains the power, and dies, all he can do is reset time to a point prior to the defeat of the Omega. So if time is reset to the point where he and Rita (and, presumably, the entire company of soldiers) were never killed, how the fuck is Omega dead?! All he could possibly do is reset time and alter their plan to try to kill Omega (again) without everyone else dying, right? And why does he reset to a day earlier than he was previously returning?

Please, someone explain this, I really enjoyed it up to the end, I hope I'm missing something.
Old 06-08-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,231 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Shoveler
Glad I'm not the only one. I was fully behind this movie until the ending, which might have ruined it for me. Spoilerizing just so I can go into great detail without ruining it for anyone.

Spoiler:
I really appreciated how they built toward the ending. Clearly, he was going to "not die", get a transfusion, and lose the power, setting up a last chance for victory scenario. I didn't foresee him regaining the power, simply because it would undo everything if he did a reset. He can reset time, not alter reality! If he regains the power, and dies, all he can do is reset time to a point prior to the defeat of the Omega. So if time is reset to the point where he and Rita (and, presumably, the entire company of soldiers) were never killed, how the fuck is Omega dead?! All he could possibly do is reset time and alter their plan to try to kill Omega (again) without everyone else dying, right? And why does he reset to a day earlier than he was previously returning?

Please, someone explain this, I really enjoyed it up to the end, I hope I'm missing something.

Spoiler:
Omega is dead and so are the rest of the aliens. He absorbed what was left of the goo from Omega. In essence, Cage is the new "Omega." He's patient zero so to speak.

I like the ending it's very
Spoiler:
optimistic.
Old 06-08-14, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Spoiler:
Omega is dead and so are the rest of the aliens. He absorbed what was left of the goo from Omega. In essence, Cage is the new "Omega." He's patient zero so to speak.
I get what happened to Cage.
Spoiler:
But I don't care how powerful he is, if he resets time to two days before he killed Omega, then Omega is still alive. He can control time, not reality.

I like the ending it's very
Spoiler:
optimistic.
And this is exactly why I have such a problem with it. It was contrived in order to achieve that.

Last edited by Shoveler; 06-08-14 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-08-14, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Spoiler:

Not sure that i'm right, but going off Why So Blu's assertion -

Spoiler:
If the Omega is destroyed and Cage is the new 'Omega' being able to control time, I imagine he would also control all the mimics since the assumption was that they were all connected as a type of hive-mind, and therefore he could either control them, or they would just stop functioning. I guess it's a bit of a paradox, but Wikipedia's plot summery says "Brigham announces that the Mimics have seemingly given up" which seems to point that Cruise's existence in any past day means the Mimics would stop regardless.

As far as waking up an extra day before, I don't think much of it other then the events that kick off all this wackiness is because of that helicopter ride and being sent to the war, so that's where his subconscious took him.

For what it's worth, I dislike the too convenient and happy ending and still thought it was predictable.
Old 06-09-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saw it this weekend. I'm not a Cruise fan, but I thought it was fantastic.
Old 06-09-14, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Here's the thing about the ending:
Spoiler:
I thought Cruise and Blunt were terrific and I liked their characters a lot. I wanted them to win. I think it would have been a major buzzkill if the movie ended on a somber note, because it was already somber enough as it was. When he smiles at her at the end and then it cuts to the credits was perfect.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (05-28-20)
Old 06-09-14, 11:46 AM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Spoiler:
Hopefully seeing it sometime this week.
Old 06-09-14, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to see it tonight, really looking forward to it.

I would not want Cruise as friend in real life, but I like most of his movies.
Old 06-09-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally, the How To Train Your Dragon 2 IMAX 3D version was only going to open for theaters outside the USA. I just saw a message from IMAX saying that this is no longer the case and it will opening in IMAX 3D screens this Friday. I guess Edge of Tomorrow opening in third place will do that to you.
Old 06-09-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I would not want Cruise as friend in real life, but I like most of his movies.
Really? He's a really nice guy - goes out of his way to be polite to people. I'd rather be pals with a nice guy with some rather odd religious beliefs than a 'normal' Christian who treats people like crap.
Old 06-10-14, 12:43 AM

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
One possible explanation is fairly simple. Cruise is NOT doing the resets the Omega is. The Omega resets time when an alpha dies. It is a signal to start a different path for a better outcome. Cruise seems like an Alpha to to the Omega so everytime he dies he resets time. To do this the Omega needs an anchor in time before the point at which he resets to. Once it gets a result it likes it resets that anchor. When Cruise kills the Omega he also kills an Alpha, which is a very bad result, so it uses the anchor time but since he is dead (the Omega) all versions of the the Omega (the current future, and the anchor point) are now dead. The anchor point was a day before the reset day for Cruise so he went there, but the Omega is dead at that point now so no more resets are possible and the Omega is dead too. This explanation assumes Cruise did not do the reset at the end himself which it appeared he might have. Also, it is unclear he truly lost the ability to reset after the blood transfusion

It was obvious there is a good 30 minutes or more of additional story. Unlike most instances of this it did not hurt the film, but an extended cut could be a blast.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (05-28-20)
Old 06-10-14, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A friend saw this today and assumed the ending
Spoiler:
was a dream. At least it felt that way to them.

I love the possibilities and hope that this leads to more people checking it out. Here's hoping the second week doesn't drop that much in terms of gross.
Old 06-10-14, 08:31 AM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it Sunday. Enjoyed it quite a bit and I appreciate the fact that the "groundhog day" elements weren't overly done --- meaning when he did repeat the day we didn't have to live through every event again in full (or almost in full). That was one thing I disliked about GHD as it caused the movie to drag until he started doing new things.

Good effects, good action, good story. Like you guys I felt the ending was a small let down. Still a good 4 star action flick in my book. Wouldn't have minded a little more from the battle scenes either.
Old 06-10-14, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Spoiler:
One possible explanation is fairly simple. Cruise is NOT doing the resets the Omega is. The Omega resets time when an alpha dies. It is a signal to start a different path for a better outcome. Cruise seems like an Alpha to to the Omega so everytime he dies he resets time. To do this the Omega needs an anchor in time before the point at which he resets to. Once it gets a result it likes it resets that anchor. When Cruise kills the Omega he also kills an Alpha, which is a very bad result, so it uses the anchor time but since he is dead (the Omega) all versions of the the Omega (the current future, and the anchor point) are now dead. The anchor point was a day before the reset day for Cruise so he went there, but the Omega is dead at that point now so no more resets are possible and the Omega is dead too. This explanation assumes Cruise did not do the reset at the end himself which it appeared he might have. Also, it is unclear he truly lost the ability to reset after the blood transfusion

It was obvious there is a good 30 minutes or more of additional story. Unlike most instances of this it did not hurt the film, but an extended cut could be a blast.
I appreciate your theory, but "fairly simple"?

I might be able to buy it, they way I'm thinking (which I think is pretty much what you are saying)...
Spoiler:
has nothing to do with the mix of Alpha and Omega being killed, but essentially presumes that the Omega has some extra-dimensional aspect, which grants it the time-altering ability, but which also means that the resets are part of the Omega's linear timeline. The problem I had with fumanstan's suggestion is that the Omega would be alive again after the reset, so the best you could hope for would be two Omegas, the original and Cage, struggling for control of the hive, and I couldn't see Cage winning that battle against an experienced Omega. But if reset-time is linear for the Omega, then dead is dead, even if another (new) Omega resets time. This would make sense, would explain why the Alphas and the rest of the Mimics are so expendable, but the Omage is so protected... because it is vulnerable.
Old 06-10-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

A friend saw this today and assumed the ending
Spoiler:
was a dream. At least it felt that way to them.

That seems like a far worse assumption then it was for Minority Report to me.
Old 06-10-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That seems like a far worse assumption then it was for Minority Report to me.
Minority Report was perfect. There was only one sequence in that film that should have been re-written and I only noticed it when a friend pointed it out to me.

I just thought was cool that that's what they thought the ending meant (EOT), because I didn't get that impression at all.
Old 06-10-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I really enjoyed it and can hardly wait to own the Blu-ray.

I am curious about one plot point:

Spoiler:
Why did the general go to such extreme lengths to not only send Cage into combat, but to virtually guarantee he'd be killed? He not only was sending essentially a PR flack into combat, he framed him for being a deserter.

The general mentioned something about people looking to pin the blame on him for how the war went, but was there evidence that Cage was targeting him for some reason? I don't think that was explained very well.

Any insights?
Old 06-10-14, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Minority Report was perfect. There was only one sequence in that film that should have been re-written and I only noticed it when a friend pointed it out to me.

I just thought was cool that that's what they thought the ending meant (EOT), because I didn't get that impression at all.
Right, I'm saying that there were many that felt Minority Report ended the same way that your friend thought for Edge of Tomorrow. But unlike Minority Report, I can't think of any clues that would even point to that being the case for Edge.
Old 06-10-14, 09:46 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

well wow - that was a blast. I know that the reviews have been fairly positive, but on the whole what a movie!

the 3D conversion was excellent and the Dolby Atmos mix was on par with last year's Tom Cruise sci-fi pic: 'Oblivion'
Old 06-11-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
I really enjoyed it and can hardly wait to own the Blu-ray.

I am curious about one plot point:

Spoiler:
Why did the general go to such extreme lengths to not only send Cage into combat, but to virtually guarantee he'd be killed? He not only was sending essentially a PR flack into combat, he framed him for being a deserter.

The general mentioned something about people looking to pin the blame on him for how the war went, but was there evidence that Cage was targeting him for some reason? I don't think that was explained very well.

Any insights?
Spoiler:
The general was originally planning to send him as an observer, but once Cage started refusing orders, then threatening to blackmail him, and then trying to run away, the General was so pissed off that he essentially arranged for Cage to be sent off to his own death.
Old 06-11-14, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Spoiler:
The general was originally planning to send him as an observer, but once Cage started refusing orders, then threatening to blackmail him, and then trying to run away, the General was so pissed off that he essentially arranged for Cage to be sent off to his own death.
Thanks. That's kind of what I thought, but it was so harsh I was wondering whether there was something I'd missed.
Old 06-11-14, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw the movie with my wife and son.

All enjoyed it a lot.

Time Travel is one of my all time fav Sci-Fi movie types, so I was really looking forward to this.

The movie was all I was hoping for and more.

2nd best movie I have seen this year, X-Men the most enjoyable, both movies have to do with time travel so no wonder they are my favs.
Old 06-11-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,347 Likes on 2,138 Posts

I saw this last night. Mostly to support a film in the theater that WASN'T a sequel or a superhero movie.

I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. It was fairly predictable but the aspects of re-living the same day over and over were filmed in a way that always kept the plot moving and never felt tedious (which is what I was worried about going in). There was also a good amount of humor, particularly in a couple of the surprising deaths for Cage. For some reason Tom Cruise's screams made me laugh as he died.

The ending had me scratching my head a little bit but I don't think it detracted enough from the overall film for me to fault it too much.

Overall 3.5/5

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.