Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-19, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Well, I’m a 59 year old Godzilla fanboy, and my wife is going with me tomorrow, even though she could really care less, so when I write my review, between the two of us we’ll be able to come up with an honest balance on how good or bad it really is.
Old 05-29-19, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
Re: Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

I didn't see the first one in theaters but I'll probably be checking this one out soon. I was a big fan of the Godzilla movies as a kid, even had the NES game. The films where he teams up with Ultraman, or has a kid, or fights King Kong were good, cheesy fun. As an adult, I much more appreciate the original 1954 Godzilla, with the Hiroshima anti-nuclear bomb allegory, and even Godzilla 1985.

I'm hoping the tone of this one shows how the devastation of these "titans" affect humanity, and it's not just humans cheering "kick his ass Godzilla! Yeah!!!!"
Old 05-29-19, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

question, did they film the Godzilla vs Kong movie? im surprised that its coming out next year and no word on it.
Old 05-29-19, 03:37 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by raven56706
question, did they film the Godzilla vs Kong movie? im surprised that its coming out next year and no word on it.
Yes. https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...d-wingard.html

Word... as in... marketing? They aren't going to market that until after this comes out.

I’m assuming a post credit scene will tease it.

Last edited by dex14; 05-29-19 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-29-19, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Thanks to Entertainment Weekly's coverage of this film, I have now learned that Millie Bobby Brown has absolutely no relation to Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/29/mil...ranger-things/
Old 05-29-19, 06:42 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Thanks to Entertainment Weekly's coverage of this film, I have now learned that Millie Bobby Brown has absolutely no relation to Bobby Brown and Whitney Houston.

https://ew.com/movies/2019/05/29/mil...ranger-things/
Being white and British didn't give it away?
Old 05-29-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Sounds like this is a true Godzilla movie. When I was a kid, I taped a lot of these kaiju fests off of late night TV and after an initial viewing, would pretty much fast forward through the human stuff and only watch the monster fights. While it would be nice to see a movie like the 1954 undubbed original that had some rather interesting human characters, I am fine with this approach as it is consistent with 95% of what I have seen. We get Godzilla vs. Kong regardless, and we've got all our famous kaiju in this one, so I think we've won.
Old 05-30-19, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I went to buy tickets for tomorrow night for my birthday and accidentally bought them for tonight so I guess we're seeing it sooner than expected. My wife and son will be with me, my son enjoys them and my wife likes a variety of movies, so I think we'll all have a good time.
Old 05-30-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 827 Likes on 548 Posts

I love how tons of people (no one here in particular) complained that 2014 Godzilla didn’t show enough of him. Now the complaint is there’s too much.
Fucking humans. We deserve to get crushed and dominated by Kaiju.
Old 05-30-19, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what the hell do you expect with a movie with gigantic animals... for fuck sake. what the hell do the critics want?
Kong Skull Island JUST came out a few years back, and was well received. It's a movie in this same universe with giant monsters and it's pretty wonderful. The script is paper thin, but there is a there there. I don't think people are asking for the world with these movies, just a little something.

Originally Posted by K&AJones
Bingo....with many or most of these so-called "Professional Critics, like everything else Political Correctness has gotten out of hand along with taking things way too seriously especially in the area of Sci-Fi/Fantasy IGN has their review up...7.8....with heaps of praise on the CGI, action, fights and Godzilla kicking serious booty.....but then does a slight put-down on the characters, their use, the plot.....which how many times have we seen that complaint in Sci-Fi/Fantasy Movies.... https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/05...onsters-review.
I don't know where political correctness comes into play, but I see nothing wrong with wanting better from a thing. I'm not saying writing a script is an easy thing to do (making movies is hard!), but even in a Godzilla movie it's ok to want decent characters and a decent plot. Given the choice would you rather have a Godzilla movie with great action AND and good plot and good characters, or a Godzilla movie with just good action? Also, regarding this movie, the plot and characters feel especially egregious because they're so convoluted. There were more than a few times things would shift to focus on the humans, and they were so blah and forgettable, I wanted them to get trampled so I could see more Godzilla action! I cannot stress enough how right they got that stuff. The monster stuff is truly awesome.

I'm not saying you (or anyone) will have the same response to the characters and plot of this that I did (I actually think the skeleton of the plot is fine, it's just the dialog and characters leave a lot to be desired), but I just think it's unfair to scoff at people who want a better movie surrounding the giant monster action. Doesn't have to be oscar worthy shit either, but again I use Skull Island as a good example of a movie like this delivering on most fronts.

I think that IGN review is more than fair. Maybe even a bit generous.
Old 05-30-19, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

what the hell do you expect with a movie with gigantic animals... for fuck sake. what the hell do the critics want?
From what ive read, they just want it to be good. Maybe with coherant visuals and exciting action. Seems easy enough.