Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019, Dougherty) S: Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah, Eleven

Old 05-19-14, 06:49 AM

Received 4,475 Likes on 3,036 Posts

EXCLUSIVE: After opening to $103M internationally — the biggest opening of 2014 so far — and grossing $93M domestic stateside this weekend, it should come as no surprise that Legendary Pictures and Warner Bros.‘ are already developing a sequel to the monster hit. It was confirmed to Deadline this morning that a Godzilla sequel is underway. The beast is currently stomping across international markets to take No. 1 spots in most territories.

The picture was directed by Gareth Edwards, a young British director who grew up on Star Wars and Steven Spielberg films. Godzilla has been made into features before over its 60-year history. The first being in 1954 when the Toho character appeared to be nothing more than a man in a rubber suit, but still fascinated both Japanese and American audiences. It was also made into a film in 1998 by Dean Devlin and director Roland Emmerich but had no where near the opening of this current one. In 1998, the film which starred Matthew Broderick, opened to $44M and went onto gross $136.3M. Worldwide, it grossed $379M. This one could double that.

Edwards has talked about what he would do with a sequel, saying he would use the same kind of restraint that he did for this one. He learned well from watching Spielberg films as the monster was only talked about for the first part of this film. And, of course, there were those reaction shots that added to the suspense. Edwards was given the chance by Legendary’s Thomas Tull who put faith in him to pull this off, having previously done Monsters which only grossed $2.6M in total. Tull has played coy in the media on the subject of a sequel, waiting for Godzilla‘s monster opening to confirm sequel plans. As Dan Fellman (WBros. head of domestic distribution) pointed out, they made more in one night (probably one late night run at 7 PM) than Edwards’ movie did in its entire run. Legendary’s Jon Jashni developed this along with Brian Rogers and Mary Parent. Max Borenstein scripted from a story by David Callaham. Alex Garcia at Legendary was instrumental in the development of this film working, closely with both the director and writer.

It should be noted that there is an ongoing legal dispute over payments/credit on Godzilla winding its way through the courts with filmmakers Roy Lee, Dan Lin and Doug Davison who brought the property to Legendary.

The marketing on this film was excellent, with Legendary Pictures in-house team of Emily Castel, Barnaby Legg, Matthew Marolda and Peter Stone working closely with Warner Bros. and those folks who cut the trailer and did the key art and outdoor, namely vendors Trailer Park and Ignition. The promotional spots — really thought the Fiat one was great — were overseen by Gene Garlock who worked with all the Legendary team as well. Kudos all around.

Godzilla surprised everyone right out of the gate in late nights Thursday with a $9.3M haul and continued to rake in the bucks through the weekend. It is the highest IMAX opener so far this year with $14.1M (or 15%) of the domestic gross and IMAX screens brought in 51% of the international gross.

So everyone wants to know: Will Mothra be in the sequel?
Old 05-19-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts
re: Godzilla 2 (201?, Edwards) S: Mothra, Rodah, Ghidorah

You can definitely see Spielberg's influence on Edwards: There are about a dozen (maybe more) shots in GODZILLA of a character staring at something happening off-screen. However, Steven would have done a much better job developing the human characters and making us care about them. I'm still not sure if Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character played any significant role in the outcome of the movie.
Old 05-19-14, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That kind of "camera follows the character while special effects are in the background" style shot was very reminiscent of Saving Private Ryan or War of the Worlds. Although to be fair, the Jurassic Park movies don't have the most compelling human drama in his filmography either.
Old 05-19-14, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If they are bringing in another Toho monster, I'd hope its King Ghidora, not Mothra. Never been a fan of her & don't see a moth as a worthy adversary.
Old 05-19-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

It'll be interesting to see where Edwards takes this story. The biggest complaints seem to be about the human drama, so does he drop the characters and create new ones? My gut feeling is that aaron taylor-johnson will be back and the military will be the focus of the human story.
Old 05-19-14, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

Godzilla 2: Atomic Breath Boogaloo
Old 05-19-14, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by resinrats
If they are bringing in another Toho monster, I'd hope its King Ghidora, not Mothra. Never been a fan of her & don't see a moth as a worthy adversary.
I agree but do they keep the alien origins of Ghidorah or do they make him an earth-based MUTO? Mothra seems more likely to be the next evolution of the MUTO.
Old 05-19-14, 10:58 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on what era of her you saw.

Showa era didn't really sell me that she could take him down. I loved those movies but...G had the upper hand from the skill set alone.

Heisei and Millennium series upped her skill set. She could kick ass in those. Though she did get her ass burned to a crisp as well. I hated her solo movies during the Heisei period.

I've stated this before but out of all the regular G Kaiju, Mothra has a narrative element that is very tied to her. Those priestesses of hers. The tone of this new franchise wouldn't allow that to be around. Oddly enough, while I've never cared for them... I do love it when they sing Mothra's tune.

Typically KG is the big baddie for G. I would hope they somehow redesign his body from the neck down. Considering there is no need for the size of a man in the suit anymore. Just slim him down a bit. He's always looked baggy to me. Cuz of the nature of his design combined with the linking involved.

I'd also love to see Rodan. He's a classic buddy character. Anguirus would be cool to see too. Man, all those Kaiju had very unique audio to them.

Originally Posted by Neil M.
I agree but do they keep the alien origins of Ghidorah or do they make him an earth-based MUTO? Mothra seems more likely to be the next evolution of the MUTO.
Well he wasn't alien all the time. The Heisei and Millennium series gave him new origins. But the last movie brought him back to being an alien again too. The millennium series rebooted itself for no reason, I guess. I think 3 times.

Obviously there are some regular Kaiju that wouldn't work as a MUTO. Gigan comes to mind.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-19-14 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-19-14, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Well he wasn't alien all the time. The Heisei and Millennium series gave him new origins. But the last movie brought him back to being an alien again too. The millennium series rebooted itself for no reason, I guess. I think 3 times.
That's why I asked the question. I imagine that as long as Edwards is involved, they will keep the film grounded in nature. But I could also see a different director wanting to add alien elements in the future. Mothra seems like the natural choice for the next film.
Old 05-19-14, 11:44 AM
Banned

She's a fan favorite.

My question with just adding her is... Do we make the "savior" of our last film the villain in the 2nd? I could see that happening. Cuz G's a beast. He doesn't give a shit about humanity.

Or do we make it a tag team against some other Kaiju? No way they'd make Mothra the baddie. She can be reacted to by humanity as that but if its just a one on one versus, Mothra is always the hero. Even in a tag team.

I wouldn't mind seeing G as a villain but in today's market it'd take major balls to make the hero into a villain.
Old 05-19-14, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 321 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil M.
It'll be interesting to see where Edwards takes this story. The biggest complaints seem to be about the human drama, so does he drop the characters and create new ones? My gut feeling is that aaron taylor-johnson will be back and the military will be the focus of the human story.
My gut feeling is that neither Edwards (at least as a director) or Taylor-Johnson will be back. We'll see.
Old 05-19-14, 12:16 PM
Banned

I think it'd be good to keep Watanabe and Hawkins. We don't need ATJ. REALLY wish Cranston could come back. That character had so much more to give than his son.

I dunno about Edwards. This was his big break. And he did damn fine with the direction. Depending on what he could and could not by regulation of Toho and WB. I'd think WB would want him back. Unless he had something else to do. I think Edwards would be someone I'd like for them to keep.

I remember Toho being very adamant about Legendary keeping G in Japan. Wonder what eased them up on it.

I'd also like to know if Toho has any plans for their own Japanese G. Seems like Toho liked this film.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 05-19-14 at 12:22 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Edwards will be back unless there are restrictions on where he can take the story and he has a falling out. Based on his comments, it sounds like he wants to come back.
Old 05-19-14, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

I would think that Edwards would want to come back now knowing how much more he can ramp it up. I'd like to see the formation of the JDF/EDF. Wasn't too keen on the US Armed Forces involved.

Last edited by devilshalo; 05-19-14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 05-19-14, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,285 Likes on 935 Posts

I wonder if any of them got a 3-picture deal that seems to be standard? Plus I would think their salaries would be a lot nicer.
Old 05-19-14, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully it's like a Rise of the Planet of the Apes deal. I liked the movie overall, but don't see the need for any of the human characters to return.
Old 05-19-14, 04:04 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

me too!
Old 05-19-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 596 Likes on 460 Posts

Here's hoping Godzilla gets a whole 15 minutes of screen time this go around.
Old 05-19-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I would like King Kong.
Old 05-19-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 704 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by antspawn
I would like King Kong.
And people want Marvel to get the rights back from Fox and Sony.
Old 05-20-14, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Bring back the Smog Monster!
Old 05-20-14, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to see KG, but the problem is the question "where do you go from there?" for G3.

KG is pretty much the "big baddie" of the Godzilla lore, so if you introduce him in the second film, you kind of have nowhere to go but down from there.
Old 05-20-14, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Damed
I'd love to see KG, but the problem is the question "where do you go from there?" for G3.

KG is pretty much the "big baddie" of the Godzilla lore, so if you introduce him in the second film, you kind of have nowhere to go but down from there.
Yeah, you kind of blow your load too soon by putting King Ghidorah in right away. I'd like to see a sequel with some of the lesser known monsters. Sort of like where a handful of monsters pop up(Smog Monster, Anguirus, etc.) and we have to rely on Godzilla to fight them. Halfway through, he's burnt out somewhat and we have to try to fight the monsters ourselves. Towards the end, Godzilla is rested up and he saves us. But not before a last cameo appearance/hint of Ghidorah (ala Batman Begins with The Joker)to set up the third movie. Maybe even have Ghidorah being able to wipe out the monsters that Godzilla got too tired to finish to make him seem even more like a threat.
Old 05-20-14, 09:40 AM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not sure how an updated Smog Monster would look any better, besides looking like polished poo.
Old 05-20-14, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
I'm not sure how an updated Smog Monster would look any better, besides looking like polished poo.
I think I just like the idea of them spending all kinds of money on doing an updated version of Smog Monster. He can even be an easy monster that Godzilla kills first, I just smile at the idea.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.