Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread
6.20%
15.50%
32.56%
20.16%
10.85%
6.20%
3.10%
0%
2.33%
0.78%
1.55%
Go home Gojira!
0.78%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-14, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Godzilla (Edwards, 2014) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by gp1086
Haha. You're right. Unfortunately unless I monetize my videos and add advertising I have 3 to choose from, so it's oftentimes picking the best of the worst.

Thanks for checking out! I viewed the script flaws as:

Spoiler:
They take a nuclear bomb (supposedly much stronger than Hiroshima) a couple hundred yards off the coast of San Fran, it detonates, the next day people are just walking around. (This is the serious one for me)

Was Godzilla breathing fire or electricity? He can just do this all the sudden?

There is a gigantic MUTO underneath the railway that was able to remain completely stealth as they walked right by it?

Godzilla was taller and much larger than all the buildings in SF, when one collapses it almost kills him after loads of bombs and guns did nothing to slightly deter him.

Was it ever totally explained why all of the sudden they just decided to let Godzilla fight to MUTOs after they conducted this elaborate plan to use a nuke for killing them all? I may be forgetting something here - did they believe it wouldn't be effective after further consideration?

In retrospect, some of these are a little nitpicky for an action, monster movie, but nevertheless things I thought about during and afterwards.
I had the same problems with the script.
Old 05-18-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Spoiler:
I assume that Godzilla was an "Alpha Predator" from back during the dinosaur days, and that his ability to use his atomic breath is some sort of byproduct of mutations caused by the radiation, particularly the nuclear tests which woke him up. As for the nuke going off and people wandering around, let's be honest, that's something you just sort of have to go with in the way that radiation's magic powers are depicted in monster movies.

I wonder what deleted scenes from the cutting room (or the back of the hard drive, as the case may be) will wind up on the Blu?
Old 05-18-14, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
A fan art but very cool looking.

Nice, but we'll almost certainly get Mothra in Godzilla 2.

Especially since Gamera isn't a Toho monster.
Old 05-18-14, 06:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Nice, but we'll almost certainly get Mothra in Godzilla 2.

Especially since Gamera isn't a Toho monster.
I'd love to see Mothra via Edwards. My issue with that is that I don't think the tone of this new series would allow her priestesses to be in there.

Though if we did get JUST a Mothra vs. G film... It could be a nice transition to G being just a beast. Though slightly, if not totally, polarizing to the audience who just accepted him as their hero. He's awake and out and about... Turns out G causes us trouble and Mothra somehow just wants to take him down. I dunno. That's where the priestesses kind of give us her backstory usually. A lot of regular G foes/friends don't have something like what Mothra has. The regular Kaiju cast could survive easily with a new origin. Mothra's baggage is rather consistent with hers.
Old 05-18-14, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

As far as the building knocking G down from an earlier post...he was pretty spent by that point. Makes sense that the building would take him down like that.
Old 05-18-14, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was thinking about how well they animated G's face. His huffing and puffing like a bull and his eyes being more like a real animal. They did a great job.
Old 05-18-14, 06:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. G was top notch. I do hope we get a feature that talks about how Serkis helped out G's movement.
Old 05-18-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Holy shit, this was a turdfest. I can't believe anyone could like this from a nostalgic standpoint, or even from a "fresh idea" aspect if you knew nothing about the original.

Let's begin with the sound effects. You see a storm cloud and it is black and scary. It's well done. And then they go in and use a bit of animal growl in their sound effects. HOLY FUCK, did I accidentally get tickets to Twister 2? I hope Bill Pullman is in this one, too!

And the musical score was so freaking poor. Like they went to an orchestra at a college and asked them to come up with the score. It isn't that it isn't fine music, but it doesn't fit the scene. Musical score can MAKE a movie epic instead of just good. Or it can make a turd like this movie show it's corn. The music is a distraction rather than an incredible compliment to the scenes.

And what a bunch of contrived bullshit. Okay we have this evolutionary monster type and survival of the fittest, and all that, and that is really a decent rewrite of the origin. But at one point, in what feels like halfway through the movie, I'm thinking "GET ON WITH IT!" If you are going to tweak and reshow the origin some, at least do it in a clever way like Man of Steel,

But what do they come up with next? Let's see....sitting around the table with the producers and one of them wants broader appeal for this because they've seen the script and expect they could lose a lot of money. And a young middle management monkey says, "I've got it sir, we can put the praying mantis monster in America, and let the real finale fight scenes, because that is all this turd has, take place in San Fransisco!"
"Get that young middle management monkey one of our special cigars," says the top dog, and that is what we are left with. And then for good measure, the top dog says to the director, "Hey I also want the hero to be American, and even though we've highlighted the survival of the fittest, get me some shots where Godzilla appears to be connecting with us humans. That's a good hook."
"Yes sir," says everyone and as they leave they hear the top dog say to the other money men, "Let's get rid of the writers, hire that kid with the idea and take the money we saved to get that Walter White guy. We can advertise with that."

I really think the only way to enjoy it is to really downplay it in your mind and watch it later. The worse you think it probably will be, the better you will enjoy it. So in that spirit, and because even this may not be able to downplay it enough....if there were a religion based on hating this movie, I would disavow everything I believe and go join that religion and devote my entire life to it.

Look at my post history in this thread, and you will see that I don't post here. Let that be just a small token of how much this movie sucked pure ass.
Old 05-18-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Holy shit, this was a turdfest. I can't believe anyone could like this from a nostalgic standpoint, or even from a "fresh idea" aspect if you knew nothing about the original.

Let's begin with the sound effects. You see a storm cloud and it is black and scary. It's well done. And then they go in and use a bit of animal growl in their sound effects. HOLY FUCK, did I accidentally get tickets to Twister 2? I hope Bill Pullman is in this one, too!

And the musical score was so freaking poor. Like they went to an orchestra at a college and asked them to come up with the score. It isn't that it isn't fine music, but it doesn't fit the scene. Musical score can MAKE a movie epic instead of just good. Or it can make a turd like this movie show it's corn. The music is a distraction rather than an incredible compliment to the scenes.

And what a bunch of contrived bullshit. Okay we have this evolutionary monster type and survival of the fittest, and all that, and that is really a decent rewrite of the origin. But at one point, in what feels like halfway through the movie, I'm thinking "GET ON WITH IT!" If you are going to tweak and reshow the origin some, at least do it in a clever way like Man of Steel,

But what do they come up with next? Let's see....sitting around the table with the producers and one of them wants broader appeal for this because they've seen the script and expect they could lose a lot of money. And a young middle management monkey says, "I've got it sir, we can put the praying mantis monster in America, and let the real finale fight scenes, because that is all this turd has, take place in San Fransisco!"
"Get that young middle management monkey one of our special cigars," says the top dog, and that is what we are left with. And then for good measure, the top dog says to the director, "Hey I also want the hero to be American, and even though we've highlighted the survival of the fittest, get me some shots where Godzilla appears to be connecting with us humans. That's a good hook."
"Yes sir," says everyone and as they leave they hear the top dog say to the other money men, "Let's get rid of the writers, hire that kid with the idea and take the money we saved to get that Walter White guy. We can advertise with that."

I really think the only way to enjoy it is to really downplay it in your mind and watch it later. The worse you think it probably will be, the better you will enjoy it. So in that spirit, and because even this may not be able to downplay it enough....if there were a religion based on hating this movie, I would disavow everything I believe and go join that religion and devote my entire life to it.

Look at my post history in this thread, and you will see that I don't post here. Let that be just a small token of how much this movie sucked pure ass.
So... Did you like it?
Old 05-18-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fair responses to some of the script flaws I pointed out.

I did start cracking up
Spoiler:
when the MUTOs kissed

I actually think I may check this one out again tomorrow (although kind of want to see Chef or Million Dollar Arm too).
Old 05-18-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I should say, that despite all that I said, this was still better than the one with Matthew Broderick.
Old 05-18-14, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Dave's mad because the dog lived by breaking it's leash before the wave hit

Last edited by TomOpus; 05-18-14 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-18-14, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

I agree that Mothra carries too much baggage. The fact that she is supposed the be a good spirit creates a dilemma after they've established Godzilla as a good guy. Of course one possibilty is we get both Mothra and King Ghidorah , and the aliens controlling Ghidorah also find a way to control Big G. He goes nuts and Mothra has to bring him back to the light. Only problem with that is I feel the whole aliens attack and use King Ghidorah angle has been played out to the point of exhaustion. I just want to see Ghidorah attack out of his own mean nature, like when he first appeared.
On the bright side, since Elizabeth Olsen was in this one, maybe she can convince her sisters Mary Kate and Ashley to play the twin maidens of Mothra.

Old 05-18-14, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

^ sooo what was with all the Moth images in the film? I want a big god damn moth in the sequel!!

Not really...but whatever.
Old 05-18-14, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Liz Olsen is a strange looking woman. Kinda distracting....
Old 05-18-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Dave's mad because the dog lived NY breaking it's leash before the wave hit
That did piss me off. It would have really had an impact in setting the tone for this movie. And they chickened out.
Old 05-18-14, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kvrdave
That did piss me off. It would have really had an impact in setting the tone for this movie. And they chickened out.
Honestly, based on the speed and force of the water...there is no way that dog or all those people lived.
Old 05-18-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was wishing Godzilla would have lured the Mutos out to a less populated areas....
Old 05-18-14, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
People complain too much. Godzilla was in the movie for the right amount of time. If anything, there wasn't enough
Spoiler:
Walter White.
People just respond to things differently.
Old 05-18-14, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Some of my favorite quotes from Letterboxd:

The final fight is pretty cool, when the main characters decide to look in that direction so we can see it.
I wanted to scream every time they cut away from an action scene that was about to start. And after the 5th time you show Godzilla in full, don't try to be all secretive and mysterious by showing us a tail or a blurry image through a military dude's goggles. You've already shown us the big monster. You don't have the right to be secretive and mysterious anymore after that.
The most interesting guy in the movie gets written out after the first 20 minutes and the rest of the time we're stuck following Aaron Taylor-Johnson, who has more names than facial expressions.
Old 05-18-14, 08:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I was wishing Godzilla would have lured the Mutos out to a less populated areas....

At least they showed that there was an attempt to evacuate the city in advance.
Old 05-18-14, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This sounds like the Kaiju equivalent of Step Up Revolution.
Old 05-18-14, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I really liked this movie. I guess I was the only one who laughed about the fact that after Godzilla's big reveal they show the first big fight on a small screen? No one else thought that was maybe played as a joke? No? Okay, yeah, the human element is poor but not much poorer than some of the other Summer blockbusters. I really enjoyed the fact that Godzilla is kind of a hero. It could be the fact that I mainlined a bunch of the Godzilla movies this past year with my kid but I was sort of relieved that Godzilla was "good".
Old 05-18-14, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Liz Olsen is a strange looking woman. Kinda distracting....
Say what you will but she's leagues better looking than her creepy sisters.
Old 05-18-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

The first time I saw Elizabeth Olsen appear in a movie a few years ago, I was wondering if she was somehow related to the Olsen twins because she looked a lot like them. I had no idea they had a younger sister because she kind of came out of nowhere and is a lot better at acting than the both of them combined.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.