Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 05-20-20, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jay G.
Zack Snyder's Director's Cut discussion:
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk...exclusive.html
Print Wikipost

Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-17, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts
re: Justice League (2017, D: Snyder and Whedon) S: Gal Gadot, et al

Originally Posted by Jay G.

Robert Rogriguez resigned from the DGA in order to give Frank Miller a co-director credit for Sin City. He wasn't "kicked out'.
http://www.superherohype.com/news/84...irect-sin-city
Potato, Po-tah-to.

He wasn't allowed to both give Miller credit AND stay in the DGA.

And since he was resigning anyway, he decided to give an extra FU to the DGA by crediting Tarantino as "Special Guest Director"
Old 09-01-17, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Because this thread started back on 2007... some details on George Miller's version have come by way of Jay Baruchel.

AUGUST 30, 2017 6:37pm PT by Aaron Couch
Abandoned 'Justice League' Movie to Have Featured Brutal Wonder Woman/Superman Fight

Director George Miller's Justice League Mortal is one of the great lost films of our times, and it would included a brutal fight between two of DC's greatest heroes (no, not Batman and Superman), according to one of its stars.

Jay Baruchel was set to play the villain Maxwell Lord in the film, and he shared new details about the project in an episode of the Happy Sad Confused podcast, hosted by MTV's Josh Horowitz.

"They had all the costume design. They had all of the pre-vis. They had all of the sort of production design figured out, and so they would take us and walk us through this command center where they had everything," the actor said of checking things out down in Australia. "The aesthetic choices that they were making and the story and character choices they were making are so ballsy, and we won't ever see it."

Justice League Mortal had a cast in place and was deep into preproduction, with stars including Armie Hammer (as Batman), DJ Cotrona (as Superman), Megan Gale (as Wonder Woman) and Adam Brody (as The Flash). Warner Bros. had announced the movie in 2007 for a 2009 release date, but the project was pulled due to a number of factors, including the 2007-08 writers' strike.

Asked to describe what it would have felt like, Baruchel offered this: "Imagine Miller doing [Zack] Snyder ... it was very tableau ... they were paintings. And what the characters were doing had such teeth to it."

As an example, he described in detail a scene in which his character Maxwell Lord brainwashed Clark Kent.

"All of a sudden this guy's got Superman as a weapon," said the actor.

In the script, Lord would get a nosebleed whenever he took over someone's mind, but Baruchel pitched to Miller that taking over Superman's powerful Kryptonian brain would cause Lord to bleed out of every orifice in his head.

"I turn him into full red eye Superman, and then there's this big ass fight between him and Wonder Woman, where he breaks her fucking wrists and shit," he continued. "The first time you see Wonder Woman, the opening scene on Themyscira, it was just her. It's her on top of a steed ... and she stood about half a kilometer away from a Minotaur. The Minotaur has a battle-ax in his hand and she just rushes him. All the Amazons are there cheering her on, and she just beheads him. Gets off her steed ... holds up the Minotaur thing and doesn't say a goddamned thing. It's like, 'That's the Wonder Woman I want to see!' It would have been special."

In 2014, stuntman Greg Van Borssum posted a photo with Miller and most of the cast together in 2007:

A year later, a group of filmmakers announced they were making a documentary on the project, though there have been no recent updates on its progress. A decade after the pic was abandoned, Snyder's Justice League is set to hit theaters Nov. 17.
Old 09-01-17, 09:56 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Mmmm.... Theresa Palmer.
Old 09-01-17, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

They pulled that right from Infinite Crisis. This is how the fight ended:

Old 09-01-17, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I'm glad Armie Hanmer didn't end up playing Batman. Never been a fan of him.
Old 09-01-17, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

i mean it sounds rated R for sure.. but without knowing the script its hard to tell if it would have been better that what we are about to get....
Old 09-27-17, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Old 09-27-17, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
In before:

Old 09-28-17, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Danny Elfman is bringing John Williams’ classic Superman theme to ‘Justice League’

You’ve just been in London recording the score for Justice League. It’s been 28 years since you scored Batman. What was it like going back into the DC universe?

It was great. It was like I never left because I’m using the same thematic material that I used back then. It never actually went away [Laughs.] It just was great fun.

There are a few little fan moments. I instated a moment of the Wonder Woman theme that Hans Zimmer did for Batman Vs. Superman, but I also had two minutes where I had the pleasure of saying, “Let’s do John Williams’ Superman.” and that for me was heaven, because now I have a melody to twist, and I’m using it in an actually very dark way, in a dark moment. It’s the kind of thing that some fans will notice. Some won’t. It’s a moment where we’re really not sure whose side he’s on.

The people at DC are starting to understand we’ve got these iconic bits from our past and that’s part of us, that’s part of our heritage — we shouldn’t run away from that. Contemporary thinking is, every time they reboot something, you have to start completely from scratch — which, of course, audiences will tell us again and again, is bullshit. Because the single-most surviving and loved theme in the world is Star Wars, which they had the good sense to not dump for the reboots. And every time it comes back, the audience goes crazy.

Did you write new themes for such characters as Flash and Aquaman?

I created very simple motifs. There are so many themes, you can’t just do a big theme for everything. So i created a motif for Flash, for Aquaman and Cyborg — but they’re very simple things, and [DC] understood. I said, “These things may never be used again, but I’m giving you all the components, should you wish to have things to build on.” So they either will or they won’t, but that’s how I approach a project like this. You have to take the attitude that this is the beginning of a mythology and it all matters, it all comes to fruition, and with any luck they will.

I loved the people I worked with, they were wonderful. The DC guys were great. I kept talking about the DNA of John Williams in this other theme — using the DNA of Batman in these other variations, which were not the Batman theme — but it all derives from that… Musical themes are like genes, you carry the DNA along and it creates these subtle connections which are perceived on an unconscious level. It’s funny because I’m terrible at puzzles, but I love musical puzzles. It’s a different part of my brain.

Elfman also spoke about working with Justice League director Joss Whedon, who he worked with previously on Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Why do you love working with [Joss Whedon]?

It was the same as when I worked with him on Ultron. He appreciates melodies and pieces. He’s like, “Oh, you’ve given it identity here!” There was a moment where the Batmobile shoots out of a thing and he goes, “Go batshit crazy here! Batman the shit out of it!” When I’m using the Batman theme, I’m using the melodic sense of it, I’m wasn’t doing full-on Batman, and there’s a moment when he says, “No, right here, Full on!”
Old 09-28-17, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

^ Awwwee. Sigh...
Old 09-28-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Based on some of the early impressions and the last trailer I'm actually getting pretty excited for this. I know, "fool me once..." but still...

With the exception of Cyborg which just flat out looks out of place, everything seems to look really good in this. Snyder's somewhat limited involvement is definitely a plus for me as well.
Old 09-28-17, 03:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Apparently Elfman can't tell the difference between a reboot and a prequel/sequel. Not that it matters.
Old 09-28-17, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Apparently Elfman can't tell the difference between a reboot and a prequel/sequel. Not that it matters.
At least he knows he's not doing anything new.
Old 09-28-17, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm fairly certain that he knows the difference, and that his use of the word 'reboots' was just a minor slip of the tongue.
Old 09-28-17, 04:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I'm fairly certain that he knows the difference, and that his use of the word 'reboots' was just a minor slip of the tongue.
If I were Elfman I wouldn’t be paying close attention either.
Old 09-28-17, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As much as I love the Williams theme I'm not sure about it for this version of Superman. I'll be curious how it'll be used. Truthfully I don't mind Zimmer's Superman Theme even though it isn't as iconic. I'd rather he bring back the Batman theme as he didn't really seem to have one in Batman V Superman. I also think you could make that fit the tone more as it has a darker sound to it whereas the Williams Superman theme seems way too light hearted for the Cavill Superman.
Old 09-28-17, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Danny Elfman is bringing John Williams’ classic Superman theme to ‘Justice League’
Wow they doing everything in their power for this movie to make it
Old 09-28-17, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I'd rather he bring back the Batman theme as he didn't really seem to have one in Batman V Superman.
From the way he spoke at the end of that article, it sounds like he might be doing just that.
Old 09-28-17, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Someone working on a DCEU film that actually gets it. That statement all but confirms that Supes is the bad guy for at least half of the film. Hopefully Whedon makes his redemption as epic as it should be.
Old 09-28-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad
From the way he spoke at the end of that article, it sounds like he might be doing just that.
I wasn't really sure. It sounds like he might be using it but maybe not fully.
Old 09-28-17, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,212 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Wow they doing everything in their power for this movie to make it
The good news: they're using the Williams' Superman theme.
The bad news: it's the "Can you read my mind" piece...
Old 09-28-17, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
The good news: they're using the Williams' Superman theme.
The bad news: it's the "Can you read my mind" piece...
Old 09-28-17, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Superman's theme and possibly Burton's Batman theme and Wonder Woman's theme in there too?

Old 09-28-17, 10:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Wonder Woman doesn't have a theme, she has the same few notes just played over and over. She could use a great kick ass theme.
Old 09-29-17, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought her theme was the one from her movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.