Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Bryan Singer Rape Allegations

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Bryan Singer Rape Allegations

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Bryan Singer Rape Allegations

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
He wasn't happy either when he learned Aliens was given a teal wash.
Yeah, no one would be. Or he saw the Predator:Ultimate Hunter Edition.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
That was Singer's claim when he made the first movie. From what I recall, he was just a gun for hire on a project that had like almost 10 screenwriters. In the end, all but David Hayter refused to take credit for the finished script. Though I think Singer got a story credit (or perhaps that was for the sequel).
He received story credit for both of the first two films and First Class.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I credit Singer and the producers for starting the 'good comic book movie' era. It was also an early example of taking a lower-budget director and putting him in a big project. Christopher Nolan was also part of that earlier group that went from making really good lower-budget movies, and being able to work on really large projects. Now that's what a lot of producers look to do (the new Jurassic Park and Godzilla movies, in example ... straight from $1M to $100M).
That is true, Singer did kick off the wave of comic book movies which are still going going strong. Personally, as a filmmaker, I like Singer, I think he composes actin sequences well, does a good job with ensemble casts, and is a talented director who's made some pretty good films, and who handled his transition for low-budget indie director to blockbuster filmmaker pretty well. I'm surprised at all of the "He was never a very good filmmaker anyway" stuff that's flying around. That being said, much of the information coming out in this thread is quite disconcerting.

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
"Never even heard of the X-Men before he first movie"?

How is that even possible? The X-Men were a pop culture phenomenon well before the movies.

Not questioning you RocShemp or the veracity of the claim, but it just seems very odd that he had never heard of them.
Yeah, even my dad knows who Wolverine is. The X-Men are pop culture icons. I don't watch reality TV, but I know what Duck Dynasty is. There are some things which are so widely engrained in culture that they're hard to miss.

Originally Posted by inri222
Some people think Michael Bay is a genius
Hundreds of millions of them judging by the box office of his films.
Old 04-22-14, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I consider Blade as the start of the good Comic Book movie era and The Matrix kicking open the door.
Old 04-22-14, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really think he's all that great honestly. I liked TUS, AP, X1, and X2. But there's nothing in them in the sense of a director that I don't think others couldn't have done. Visually speaking I don't think could tell what a Singer film is.

But yeah. I give him credit for getting the comic book genre a solid boost.
Old 04-22-14, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
The Usual Suspects is my favorite movie so I'm more disappointed that Singer hasn't made anything along those lines, even though X2 was fantastic. Other then those 2 he hasn't really impressed me with his other work.
Old 04-22-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 927 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014, Singer)

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
"Never even heard of the X-Men before he first movie"?

How is that even possible? The X-Men were a pop culture phenomenon well before the movies.

Not questioning you RocShemp or the veracity of the claim, but it just seems very odd that he had never heard of them.
I never heard of X-Men until someone told me about the movie being in production. Of course, I never read comics... and I'm assuming if you don't read/follow comic books - you won't hear about it unless it's huge and spilled into other forms of entertainment (ie. Superman, Batman, etc).
Old 04-22-14, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 828 Likes on 390 Posts
Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014, Singer)

Originally Posted by Coral
I never heard of X-Men until someone told me about the movie being in production. Of course, I never read comics... and I'm assuming if you don't read/follow comic books - you won't hear about it unless it's huge and spilled into other forms of entertainment (ie. Superman, Batman, etc).
There was a pretty popular animated series in the nineties, which I think was a lot of kids first exposure to the X-men, and also spawned a toy line. They appeared in tons of video games before the movie ever came about. They certainly weren't on the level of a Superman, Batman, or Spider-Man, but they definitely had a place in pop culture.
Old 04-22-14, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm still surprised that people are shocked about the lack of knowledge of comic book characters out there, at least prior to all the movies coming out.
Old 04-22-14, 01:29 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd never heard of rape until Bryan Singer started raping.
Old 04-22-14, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I'd never heard of rape until Bryan Singer started raping.
Now that's just bullshit, sir. You knew me... You knew what rape was.
Old 04-22-14, 01:36 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Now that's just bullshit, sir. You knew me... You knew what rape was.
Solid Snake is...Bryan Singer?!
Old 04-22-14, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Solid Snake is...Bryan Singer?!
"Solid Snake" does sound like a euphemism for a Singer-style-rape. OMG, it all fits now... We've been Keyser Söze'd for the last six years!
Old 04-23-14, 10:20 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread in my opinion has gone off topic, dissolved into side comments that are not pertinent, as well very crass, explicit language regarding 'rape' on the whole and therefore

the thread is closed.