Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-16, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: Alien: Covenant (Prometheus 2) (D: Scott) S: Fassbender

Given the hit and miss nature of Scott's work over the past decade, I'm a little skeptical about this one. I just feel this franchise has run its course and needs to go away, Predator as well.
Old 11-24-16, 10:27 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Given the hit and miss nature of Scott's work over the past decade, I'm a little skeptical about this one. I just feel this franchise has run its course and needs to go away, Predator as well.

Especially w/ Shane Black on it... Yeah. I want Predator more than ever.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 11-24-16 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-24-16, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

I agree and disagree. Scott has been more miss than hit and Prometheus was the nail in his coffin for me. I don't think the properties need to be left alone, but they need proper "champions" to take over the reigns.
Old 11-24-16, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I feel the same.

The original idea to use Giger's designs to expand the Alien universe, for Prometheus was a good idea IMO. However, all the crazy worlds and life forms Giger create in work like Necronomicon were pretty much ignored. Instead of getting some weird stuff like this:

we just got a snake, an albino bodybuilder, a zombie, an octopus, and the final shot of a xenomorph which looked less detailed than the ones seen in ALIEN and ALIENS.

I'm also wary of another Predator sequel. What made the first one so great is that we don't actually see the Predator for the majority of the film. There's something invisible stalking the team and it's in a jungle.
Old 11-24-16, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

What made the first 2 or 3 "Alien" movies work is that we had a protagonist that we could identify with. We cared about Ripley and her fight against the xenomorphs.

Who cares about the protagonists in "Alien vs Predator" or "Prometheus"? Can you even remember their names without Googling it? And without a Ripley, these are just shallow monster movies with no emotional investment. It's just monsters slaughtering lunch meat on legs.
Old 11-24-16, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ This. Until I see a teaser or trailer for Shane Black's Predator movie, I will remain skeptical. There was obviously some of Giger's material used in Prometheus, but not enough to make it noticeable. I can always hope they use some in Covenant, but I doubt it.
Old 11-24-16, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PatD
What made the first 2 or 3 "Alien" movies work is that we had a protagonist that we could identify with. We cared about Ripley and her fight against the xenomorphs.

Who cares about the protagonists in "Alien vs Predator" or "Prometheus"? Can you even remember their names without Googling it? And without a Ripley, these are just shallow monster movies with no emotional investment. It's just monsters slaughtering lunch meat on legs.
Yeah, I agree. The problem is that they're focused on making this a marketable film, instead of focusing on making a great film, THEN trying to find a way to market it.

Just let this series die already. Maybe license the designs from Giger's estate and do Del Toro's AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS.

Last edited by brayzie; 11-24-16 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-24-16, 08:13 PM
Banned

....I'm sure del Toro, fan as he is as we all are for Giger, has his own unique designs for that world we were so fucking close to getting. So goddamn fucking close.
Old 11-25-16, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I agree and disagree. Scott has been more miss than hit and Prometheus was the nail in his coffin for me. I don't think the properties need to be left alone, but they need proper "champions" to take over the reigns.
We can't have Denis Villeneuve take over everything.

Originally Posted by brayzie
...we just got a snake, an albino bodybuilder, a zombie, an octopus, and the final shot of a xenomorph which looked less detailed than the ones seen in ALIEN and ALIENS.
And lets not even get into the religious subtext being used to explain everything. I never would have thought that 30 years after watching the amazing original it would turn into this shit.

Originally Posted by brayzie
The problem is that they're focused on making this a marketable film, instead of focusing on making a great film, THEN trying to find a way to market it.

Just let this series die already..
I agree.
Old 11-25-16, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by inri222
And lets not even get into the religious subtext being used to explain everything. I never would have thought that 30 years after watching the amazing original it would turn into this shit.
I'll admit it can be a delicate balance between over-explaining/complicating a concept and just letting it be what it is. For all the shit I give The Walking Dead, it has never tried to go back and explain the origin of the zombie apocalypse. That is the right decision for that show. I think it is probably the right decision for Alien, but the can of white worms has been opened.

I get what Scott was trying to do, I just don't think it was the right decision.
Old 11-25-16, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ This whole origin story deal is something Scott wanted to do for a while. I remember listening to the commentary track for the first Alien movie back in 2000 and he mentioned doing that story is what would draw him back to the franchise. I actually feel that the best story to explain things is the little read graphic novel called "Aliens:Hive." It comes after Aliens, and the main character is Newt.
Old 11-25-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ This whole origin story deal is something Scott wanted to do for a while. I remember listening to the commentary track for the first Alien movie back in 2000 and he mentioned doing that story is what would draw him back to the franchise.
Problem with that is that it makes ALIEN not so alien. But I see why he would cite that as a reason to come back as opposed to just doing Alien 6 or 7.

I actually feel that the best story to explain things is the little read graphic novel called "Aliens:Hive." It comes after Aliens, and the main character is Newt.
Can you spoiler what happens? I remember the comic back in the day but it didn't appear that deep at the time. Kelley Jones on the art right?
Old 11-29-16, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Awesome, they must be feeling pretty confident. A teaser can't be far behind...
While I won't argue that they're feeling confident about it, I have to question whether it was the right choice to move it up like they did. Alien Covenant had the whole month of August practically to itself and they gave it up?
Old 11-29-16, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This movie is just one giant backpedal, looks like the studio bitchslapped him in a different direction.

Here is what Scott said a little over a year ago :

http://www.indiewire.com/2015/09/rid...-alien-259416/

Doing the rounds for "The Martian," the director recently spoke to German site FilmFutter and revealed "Prometheus" has its own story to tell before it eventually ties into the movie that started it all. "…it won’t be in the next one. It will be in the one after this one or maybe even a fourth film before we get back into the ‘Alien’ franchise," he said. Hoo boy. I guess that search for the Engineers will take a bit longer than expected.
Old 11-29-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Alien Covenant has moved from October 6, 2017 to August 4, 2017.

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/703824511796322310
Originally Posted by trespoochies
May 19th, 2017
October to August to May ... What does that say? It says "get this out of Ridley's hands so he'll quit tinkering with it".
Old 11-29-16, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Nice - I got something to look forward to on May 19th now.

The teaser will probably premiere soon, too.
Old 12-09-16, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

AvPGalaxy Exclusive: James Franco To Appear in Alien: Covenant!

He may have escaped fighting the Predator, but James Franco hasn’t been able to avoid the Alien! Alien vs. Predator Galaxy can exclusively reveal that James Franco will be making an appearance in Alien: Covenant.

We reported back in July that his agency was pushing hard for James Franco to be cast as McKenna, the lead role in The Predator. Franco apparently passed on that role to appear in a different science fiction film called Kin. That hasn’t stopped Franco from appearing alongside his long-time collaborator, Danny McBride, as a member of the crew of the Covenant though!

Franco will be appearing in Alien: Covenant as Branson, the captain of the Covenant and husband of Katherine Waterson’ Daniels. Franco’s appearance in Alien: Covenant will only be brief, though. He appears in the first ten minutes or so of the film with later small appearances.

Franco will also be reprising the role as Branson in some of the viral footage that has been shot for Alien: Covenant.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2016/12/09/...lien-covenant/
Old 12-09-16, 12:14 PM
Banned

Alien meets Alien.
Old 12-09-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Look at my sheeyit! I got... I got space shorts.
Old 12-22-16, 09:00 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Old 12-22-16, 11:13 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

giggity!!
Old 12-22-16, 11:15 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like Scott is doing a mash up of Alien and Aliens with those photos. Maybe the film will end with Sigourney Weaver bursting out of Katherine Waterston's chest.
Old 12-22-16, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by supermallet
looks like scott is doing a mash up of alien and aliens with those photos. Maybe the film will end with sigourney weaver bursting out of katherine waterston's chest.

Looks like all the philosophical mumbo jumbo from Prometheus that was supposed to go on for 2 to 3 films went out the window. No more Powder on steroids?
Old 12-22-16, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The pictures look fine to me, and don't think that it looking like Alien/Aliens is a bad thing. Still looking forward to this
Old 12-22-16, 01:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,188 Likes on 838 Posts

That first image is kind of haunting. Not sure I can handle all that strawberry jam everywhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.