Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-19, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Originally Posted by Brack
Yeah, who knew you actually have to sell your movie if you want it to hit massively. Plus taking 5 years to release a sequel? Too much wasted time.
Yep, while much of the content it geared toward adults, if you were 10 at the time of the original, you're 15 now and may have moved on from LEGO. Also, if you're 10 now, you don't even remember the first one.
Old 02-11-19, 02:26 PM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

I was going to take a group of young people to see this last weekend but they balked and we ended up not going. They're around 14-15 and insisted the first one was really old. Reading between the lines, I think they were saying the first one is a kid's movie because it came out when they were kids. They haven't thought much about it since becoming "mature" teenagers. That five-year gap is real, in terms of taking a box office hit with fans of the first film. I'll also echo a gigantic lack of advertising, a "free" Unikitty show so my kids can watch their favorite character anytime they want online, and when I was going to get tickets for that aforementioned group, they didn't even have advance ticket sales until less than 2 weeks before opening weekend, that's crazy! How did the sneak peek weekend do a couple weeks ago, does that factor? Just seems like they really dropped the ball.

I hope to see it with my family in a week or two.
Old 02-11-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

I don't know anyone who buys tickets to anything 2 or more weeks in advance unless it's Star Wars or Avengers.

My Kids are 8 and 9, and remember the original and wanted to see this. It was fun, but nowhere near as good as the original. I also think the dilution of the brand is a very real thing.
Old 02-26-19, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I find it odd that Lego city became a dystopian place after the events of the first Lego movie, but maybe that's just a parody in and of itself.
Saw the movie with my kids last weekend and they did do a good job of working that dystopian plot into the movie. I especially liked Wyldstyle's arc of desperately wanting Emmet to change with the times. The plot and the real world stuff probably flew way over the heads of my little ones but my eldest enjoyed it. It's also exactly what happens when you have siblings and a lot of legos in the house.

Went to legoland right after and that song was playing everywhere. I agree that the other lego movies that have come out probably diluted the product a bit, but these are a lot different with the real world aspect... that's gotta be really hard to market, though. Didn't Ninjago also flop really really badly?
Old 02-26-19, 03:01 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Saw this last weekend. Enjoyed it. It’s more of the same, but “the same” is good, funny stuff.
Old 02-26-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Saw this today.
More of the same, not a bad thing, just not really special.
Some of the commentary was just a little blunt, and it seems like a lot more of the movie was "meta"/self-aware.
Saw it in 3d and not sure it benefited greatly from it. It was good but not OH WOW.
I did love the end credits song.
Old 02-27-19, 07:44 AM
FM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really enjoyed it. I think it suffered a bit from knowing about the real-world aspect ahead of time, but overall it wasn't a big hindrance. I loved all of the songs, especially Everything's Not Awesome. I have major depression and though I've heard the ideas in the song before, having them set to upbeat music really struck a chord with me. I was especially tickled by how Queen Watevra Wa'Nabi manipulated Batman's narcissism.
Old 02-27-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FM
I really enjoyed it. I think it suffered a bit from knowing about the real-world aspect ahead of time, but overall it wasn't a big hindrance. I loved all of the songs, especially Everything's Not Awesome. I have major depression and though I've heard the ideas in the song before, having them set to upbeat music really struck a chord with me. I was especially tickled by how Queen Watevra Wa'Nabi manipulated Batman's narcissism.
I liked the chorus:
Everything's not awesome
Things can't be awesome all of the time
It's an unrealistic expectation
But that doesn't mean we shouldn't try
To make everything awesome
In a less idealistic kind of way
We should maybe aim for not bad
'Cause not bad right now would be real great
The weird thing is that "everything is awesome" was used in the first movie to placate the people into just considering what was on the surface and not how they were being manipulated by Lord Business. In that context, they didn't really need to subvert the song because it was fake to begin with (Emmett's overly optimistic outlook being the exception). But hey, it's a movie about legos, so it doesn't matter too much and the song is cool (though I was expecting more original songs).
Old 02-27-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Hopefully Lego movie fatigue doesn't carry over to the Playmobil movie.
Old 02-28-19, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by windom
Hopefully Lego movie fatigue doesn't carry over to the Playmobil movie.
I thought you were joking. Heck I watched the trailer and I'm still not convinced it's real.
Old 02-28-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 251 Likes on 186 Posts

Really enjoyed it and appreciating it more the longer I have to reflect on it. Don't like the whole
Spoiler:
future Emit being the villain
but the
Spoiler:
brother/sister queen stuff worked really well.