Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Old 02-11-19, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Originally Posted by Brack View Post
Yeah, who knew you actually have to sell your movie if you want it to hit massively. Plus taking 5 years to release a sequel? Too much wasted time.
Yep, while much of the content it geared toward adults, if you were 10 at the time of the original, you're 15 now and may have moved on from LEGO. Also, if you're 10 now, you don't even remember the first one.
Old 02-11-19, 03:26 PM

I was going to take a group of young people to see this last weekend but they balked and we ended up not going. They're around 14-15 and insisted the first one was really old. Reading between the lines, I think they were saying the first one is a kid's movie because it came out when they were kids. They haven't thought much about it since becoming "mature" teenagers. That five-year gap is real, in terms of taking a box office hit with fans of the first film. I'll also echo a gigantic lack of advertising, a "free" Unikitty show so my kids can watch their favorite character anytime they want online, and when I was going to get tickets for that aforementioned group, they didn't even have advance ticket sales until less than 2 weeks before opening weekend, that's crazy! How did the sneak peek weekend do a couple weeks ago, does that factor? Just seems like they really dropped the ball.

I hope to see it with my family in a week or two.
Old 02-11-19, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know anyone who buys tickets to anything 2 or more weeks in advance unless it's Star Wars or Avengers.

My Kids are 8 and 9, and remember the original and wanted to see this. It was fun, but nowhere near as good as the original. I also think the dilution of the brand is a very real thing.