Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-18, 12:55 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts
Re: The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) --> News, casting, rumors, etc...

Originally Posted by E Unit
Is that poster digging at I Come in Peace? That is damn funny. The Lego Batman has been my favorite out of all of them so far, so I'll see this.
Wasn’t there another movie that used “I come in pieces” as a tag line? Probably a horror film.
Old 01-24-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,704 Likes on 2,662 Posts

FYI
There are some early afternoon screenings for this on Saturday. In my area, they are at 2pm.

Check your local listings.
Old 01-24-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,324 Likes on 4,322 Posts

^ and $5 tickets, per Regal Cinemas
Old 01-25-19, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Just picked up a ticket for tomorrow’s screening at our local AMC. Thanks to my Stubs Premiere membership, I only paid 2.19 for my ticket. Man, I’m seeing a LOT of kids movies the next few weeks...
Old 01-25-19, 08:52 PM

Received 1,981 Likes on 1,166 Posts

I saw the advance screenings but too busy. Meanwhile, I have a group who wants to go opening weekend and none of our local AMCs have advance tickets for sale yet, really frustrating.
Old 01-25-19, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 780 Likes on 377 Posts

AMC's prices are too expensive after noon, especially when you're dragging along 3 kids, and these advance screenings are never before noon, so I pretty much never hit them.
Old 01-26-19, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 428 Likes on 292 Posts

Saw the sneak today. While it was good, it was not as good as the original. My wife fell asleep and ive never seen her do that in the theater. The first half is kinda slow and dark. The 2nd half things pick up a lot.

I would rank them Batman, Lego 1, then Lego 2.
Old 01-27-19, 04:39 PM

Saw it, working up my review, but I seemed to have enjoyed it a lot more than others. More funny songs, and the movie had so many winks at the adults, you'd think we were the target audience.
Old 01-31-19, 09:04 AM

From my review page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES:

THE LEGO MOVIE 2: The Second Part (PG) - Everything is decidedly NOT awesome in this inspired follow-up to the 2014 hit based on toys

Back in 2014, The Lego Movie became a surprise hit, taking the box office by storm. Based on the famous building toys, Lego Movie followed the adventures of an everyday Lego guy named Emmett (Chris Pratt) and the fearless Wyldstyle, also known as Lucy (Elizabeth Banks), as they try to thwart Lord Business’ (Will Ferrell) plan to quash inventiveness and creativity by gluing everyone in place. By the end of the movie, we learn that everything that’s happening is actually the manifestation of a real world conflict between a father (also Will Ferrell) who is a Lego hobbyist, and his son Finn, who just wants to play with his dad’s Lego creations. The film ends with the Lego world being invaded by Duplos belonging to Finn’s little sister.

Lego Movie 2: The Second Part opens with the final scene of the first film. The Duplos begin destroying things, despite Emmett’s attempts to resolve the conflict peacefully. Then the movie makes a jarring jump to 5 years later. Devastated by the Duplo attack, the Lego landscape has turned into an apocalyptic wasteland straight out of the Mad Max movies. Emmett is still his generally optimistic self, but he keeps having a dream about a coming Ar-momma-geddon.

An emissary from the Sis-Star system shows up and captures Lucy, Batman (Will Arnett), Unikitty (Alison Brie), Metalbeard the Pirate (Nick Offerman), and Benny The Spaceman (Charlie Day). They encounter Queen Watevra Wa’Nabi (Tiffany Haddish), ruler of a Utopian society, and who has matrimony on her mind. In the meantime, Emmett is determined to rescue his friends, and encounters a future version of himself, Rex Dangervest (also Pratt), who is a combination of famous action characters, including StarLord, Owen from Jurassic World, Indiana Jones, and even Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China. Together, Emmett and Rex hatch a plan to stop Queen Watevra and rescue Emmett’s friends.

Lego Movie 2 suffers only from the fact that we now know the Lego characters’ situations are manifesting from the real world conflict between Finn and his sister Bianca. There’s no more surprise in that revelation, and the Ar-momma-geddon scenario ushers in Mom (Maya Rudolph), who’s tired of their fighting. Outside of that, Lego Movie 2: The Second Part is a delightful, fun-filled continuation of the original. In fact, there is much more music throughout Lego Movie 2, and the lyrics, along with most of the dialogue, are aimed squarely at a teen-to-adult audience, as most of the verbal humor will go right over the heads of younger movie goers. Queen Watevra’s song about her dating preferences had me in stitches, and The Catchy Song is gonna get stuck inside yo’ head. But there’s plenty on display here for an extremely broad audience.

The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part is wonderfully zany, bright, colorful and extremely funny. I have to be honest, I liked it a bit more than the first one (which I’ve watched at least a dozen times). I am giving Lego Movie 2 4.5 out of 5 lightsabers.

NOTES TO PARENTS (Mild Spoilers): The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part is rated PG for animated action mayhem, themes and uh, stuff aimed more at adults than at the kids, but nothing offensive. The worst violence I can recall is Mom stepping on some Legos on the floor, and her threats of putting ALL the Legos into storage bins.

MID- and AFTER-CREDIT SCENES: The first half of the credits is covered by a very funny song about just how great the credits are. The second half of the credits has pictures of kids and what I am assuming are their original Lego creations.

ADULT ENJOYMENT-O-METER: 9 out of 10.

LIKE the page ORBI-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES, and SHARE it with family and friends.

ORB-WAN GOES TO THE MOVIES is protected under Creative Commons.
Old 02-04-19, 07:56 AM

Received 4,663 Likes on 3,157 Posts

^^^ Thanks, Orbi-Wan. You make an interesting point about watching the sequel and knowing it has the outside real world aspect going on. I gave the first a rewatch yesterday and am looking forward to this.

Reviews are strong. Currently 93% on https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the...he_second_part

There are some 4pm screenings on Thursday. If I can get out of work a little early, I may try and see it then.
Old 02-05-19, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by dex14
^^^ Thanks, Orbi-Wan. You make an interesting point about watching the sequel and knowing it has the outside real world aspect going on. I gave the first a rewatch yesterday and am looking forward to this.
Yeah, this is definitely NOT a stand-alone movie. And knowing that this is basically two kids fighting over sharing toys helps the movie make a lot more sense.
Old 02-06-19, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Saw the sneak today. While it was good, it was not as good as the original. My wife fell asleep and ive never seen her do that in the theater. The first half is kinda slow and dark. The 2nd half things pick up a lot.

I would rank them Batman, Lego 1, then Lego 2.
Thanks. I didn't like the first Lego movie as much as most did, so this looks like a home video rental for me.
Old 02-08-19, 07:15 AM

Received 4,663 Likes on 3,157 Posts

This song's gonna get stuck inside your heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaad.

Loved the air duct cameo.
Old 02-08-19, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 655 Likes on 453 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
This song's gonna get stuck inside your heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaad.
You mean this song?

Old 02-09-19, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

​Everything’s not awesome for The LEGO Movie 2. Warner Bros.’ sequel to their 2014 blow-out hit The LEGO Movie opened yesterday with just $8.5 million. Counting the sneak previews from a few weeks ago, that’s essentially a $9.1m “opening day.” That is down a whopping 46% from the $17m opening day of The LEGO Movie five years ago this weekend and 37% below the $14.4m opening day of The LEGO Batman Movie two years ago.​​​​​​
Old 02-09-19, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got back from an IMAX. Good, not great. Agree that the 1st half was a little slow. It didn't pick up until later. I do think if you weren't a fan of the 1st movie, this one is probably not for you. It relies a lot on the goofy humor, puns and pop culture references like the 1st one.

"This song is going to get stuck inside your head" was annoying, but also funny.

I know IMAX showings are a little more expensive, but the theatre I was in was practically empty and this is a late Saturday matinee. Maybe they waited a little too long to release this. I feel like there wasn't a lot of hype to see this one.

What Men Want might actually beat it this weekend.

Last edited by DJariya; 02-09-19 at 09:45 PM.
Old 02-09-19, 10:37 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, who knew you actually have to sell your movie if you want it to hit massively. Plus taking 5 years to release a sequel? Too much wasted time.
Old 02-10-19, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The article I quoted above theorized the opposite. That too many Lego movies have been done in the past 5 years, (Batman, Ninjago, Lego 2) and the countless direct to video movies, have over saturated.
Old 02-10-19, 06:27 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

I was kinda making that same point though. Had the sequel come out sooner, the movie would’ve done better. Having all these other movies in between and expecting a similar opening after such a length of time was unrealistic.
Old 02-10-19, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,324 Likes on 4,322 Posts

Not much to add. It was okay, not great. Much more scattershot and less interesting than the first movie. Liked the post Apocalyptic world a lot more than the rest of the setting. Thought Rex wasn't a very interesting main character. Loved the Catchy Song, and the other ones as well. Definitely an inferior sequel.
Old 02-10-19, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,268 Likes on 2,100 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
The article I quoted above theorized the opposite. That too many Lego movies have been done in the past 5 years, (Batman, Ninjago, Lego 2) and the countless direct to video movies, have over saturated.
Thats exactly what I would think. The first Lego Movie was original. Since then there have been countless straight-to-video LEGO movies, plus Ninjago and Batman, that are all basically the same.

I remember people clamoring for a Batman LEGO movie after the first movie came out. Since that time there’s not only been a Batman movie but Aquaman, The Flash, Superman, another Batman movie, several Justice League movies, etc. and they’re all basically the same.

The novelty has worn off. At least for theatrical releases. And Emmet is not a strong enough character to get butts in the seats. In fact, he’s the opposite. He’s purposely average.
Old 02-10-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk God

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

$34.4M estimated this weekend. #1 at Box office.

But, the 1st movie grossed $69M opening weekend 5 years ago.

This is definitely going to make far less than the 1st movie.
Old 02-10-19, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ I’ve also seen dick for advertising for this. Frankly, I didn’t even know there was a second one out until I looked up movies to see this weekend.
Old 02-10-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Weird, I feel like i've seen a lot of advertising and commercials for this.

But yeah, I mentioned it way back a few months ago on here that the other LEGO movies coming out diminished the uniqueness of this. I think if this were out 2-3 years ago my wife would have wanted to see it still, but when i asked her the other day she didn't care to.
Old 02-10-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Weird, I feel like i've seen a lot of advertising and commercials for this.
Strange that I’ve missed almost EVERYTHING for this. I usually stay at least somewhat up-to-date on new movie releases. If I don’t know the exact release date, I at least know it’s comong soon. This one snuck up on me completely.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.