Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Old 06-01-21, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

It's been interesting seeing how the MST3K people have changed their approach over the years. When The Mads (Frank & Trace) riffed Glen or Glenda live last year, they were very up front about how they wouldn't be making anti-trans jokes, at how that probably wouldn't have been the case in the 90s. Similarly, Bill Corbett made a joke about a trans Transformer on Twitter a few years back and some trans fans called him out and he apologized and has become a defender of LGBTQ rights. Part of that may tie in to his own teenage son coming out as gay a few years back.

My guess is it was The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies that IBJoel was having trouble with. It's definitly a tougher to watch episode given the anti trans jokes they make.

It was interesting in the reboot's riff of Avalanche a few years back, when Rock Hudson's name flashed up on the screen, Jonah said something like "We're not going to touch that," and when his character said something like "I'm up to my armpits in men here" he similarly said something like "Just ignore it, guys." I feel like the Sci-Fi era of the show wouldn’t have had that restraint.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 06-01-21 at 04:16 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by majorjoe23:
IBJoel (06-01-21), story (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 02:57 PM

Received 898 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
It was interesting in the reboot's riff of Avalanche a few years back, when Rock Hudson's name flashed up on the screen, Jonah said something like "We're not going to touch that," and when his character said something like "I'm up to my armpits in men here" he similarly said something like "Just ignore it, guys." I feel like the Sci-Fi era of the show would have had that restraint.
Those are actually really good rifts because it pokes fun at an older way of doing things and satirizes the pull some feel toward cheap shots. Very meta, well done.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Received 484 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
It's been interesting seeing how the MST3K people have changed their approach over the years. When The Mads (Frank & Trace) riffed Glen or Glenda live last year, they were very up front about how they wouldn't be making anti-trans jokes, at how that probably wouldn't have been the case in the 90s. Similarly, Bill Corbett made a joke about a trans Transformer on Twitter a few years back and some trans fans called him out and he apologized and has become a defender of LGBTQ rights. Part of that may tie in to his own teenage son coming out as gay a few years back.

My guess is it was The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies that IBJoel was having trouble with. It's definitly a tougher to watch episode given the anti trans jokes they make.

It was interesting in the reboot's riff of Avalanche a few years back, when Rock Hudson's name flashed up on the screen, Jonah said something like "We're not going to touch that," and when his character said something like "I'm up to my armpits in men here" he similarly said something like "Just ignore it, guys." I feel like the Sci-Fi era of the show would have had that restraint.
That was the one I just stopped watching, yes haha. Horror (Terror?) of Spider Island had one or two, I could also be misremembering. Might've been Devil Doll.
Old 06-01-21, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Jesus, they’re now making commentaries for the commentaries they originally made on those old movies?!

I guess I haven’t kept up with the MST3K crowd.
They did watch alongs of older episodes with different cast members. They were kind of themed, with Tom Servo voice actors doing one, Crows on another and female cast doing another. It was kind of a wall of babbling sound at times, but also pretty fun.