Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 11:00 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Elliot Page discussion thread (formerly Ellen Page)

Originally Posted by urrutiap
No i will not use the "proper pronoun" when it involved someone like Ellen Page or Bruce Jenner.
The great thing about being kind is that it costs you nothing.
The following 9 users liked this post by Groucho:
andicus (03-20-21), Bandoman (03-23-21), Daytripper (03-20-21), IBJoel (03-21-21), Inhumans99 (05-25-21), JayDerek (05-25-21), Kurt D (03-20-21), majorjoe23 (03-20-21), Nick Danger (05-29-21) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-25-21, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

New topless pictures after surgery :

The following users liked this post:
Kurt D (05-25-21)
Old 05-25-21, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Good on him, already got some abs.
Old 05-25-21, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 794 Posts

Old 05-25-21, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
I kinda wonder how much jokes like this have contributed to the difficulty in accepting trans people. For so long cross-dressing was just a joke, so people see transgender people as just being silly. We've been rewatching some M*A*S*H lately and I wonder how Klinger dressing as a woman trying to get a psychiatric discharge affected people's thinking?

Personally, seeing that kind of representation helped me accept the idea of transgender people. They complained about Klinger, but only because he was being a pain in the butt. But he did his job and the only person that really had an issue with him was Frank Burns, who was a certifiable asshat so that kinda proved the point.
The following 2 users liked this post by milo bloom:
IBJoel (05-25-21), majorjoe23 (06-04-23)
Old 05-25-21, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

^ While it's good that YOU have a good acceptance and tolerance of trans people partially due to Jamie Farr's Cpl Klinger, I've held that it has had a mostly negative effect. In that people think MTF trans people are like Klinger; clearly cis male but just wearing a dress, and that's while they get all up in arms about stupid shit like which restrooms people use. Yet I guarantee, absolutely guarantee, that if it was like a beach or public swimming pool and a shirtless Elliot Page came into the women's room (like they think should happen) they'd all freak out about a "man in the ladies room".
The following 4 users liked this post by Paff:
Decker (05-25-21), majorjoe23 (05-25-21), Obi-Wanma (05-25-21), Rocketsfan (05-25-21)
Old 05-25-21, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts

Absolutely. People just need to accept that sometimes a person's gender isn't just a chromosomal thing. Who could possibly have an issue with Elliot identifying as a man now?

And honestly I never ever understood the "restroom" issue in the first place. Let people go pee wherever they want (as long as it's like actually a toilet). What is the issue with having a trans man using the men's restroom? Is it any "worse" than a cis gay man using the same restroom? Of course not.
Old 05-25-21, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

How about referring to Elliot as "none of the above"?
Old 05-25-21, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The premise of the bathroom debate is that if you say a person who was born with male genitalia but who identifies as female can use the ladies' restroom, then you are opening the door to heterosexual men situation-ally claiming to be transgender so they can into the ladies' restroom. The ultimate question being: Do you want some perverted man having an excuse to go into the same restroom as little girls? Although I would contend that if a pervert wanted to go into the ladies' restroom badly enough, he's just gonna go.
Old 05-25-21, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I kinda wonder how much jokes like this have contributed to the difficulty in accepting trans people. For so long cross-dressing was just a joke, so people see transgender people as just being silly. We've been rewatching some M*A*S*H lately and I wonder how Klinger dressing as a woman trying to get a psychiatric discharge affected people's thinking?

Personally, seeing that kind of representation helped me accept the idea of transgender people. They complained about Klinger, but only because he was being a pain in the butt. But he did his job and the only person that really had an issue with him was Frank Burns, who was a certifiable asshat so that kinda proved the point.
How Klinger was portrayed on MASH was a complicated thing because what he represented changed as the series ran.
Old 05-25-21, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

The premise of the bathroom debate is that if you say a person who was born with male genitalia but who identifies as female can use the ladies' restroom, then you are opening the door to heterosexual men situation-ally claiming to be transgender so they can into the ladies' restroom. The ultimate question being: Do you want some perverted man having an excuse to go into the same restroom as little girls? Although I would contend that if a pervert wanted to go into the ladies' restroom badly enough, he's just gonna go.
yeah, it's amazing none of those perverts ever thought to just dress in drag, but rather patiently waited until transgender issues gained traction
majorjoe23 (06-04-23)
Old 05-25-21, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

This is the argument that has been thrown around since this issue became hot but I’m curious, how many documented cases of a perverted man, under the guise of trans rights, have there been?

My guess is, not many. Especially compared to say, regular skeazy dudes sexually assaulting females in public restrooms.
Old 05-25-21, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

And perverted men who have wanted to, and have been able to, go into the same bathroom as little BOYS since the inception of public washrooms? What about them?
Old 05-25-21, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Definitely not something I needed to see, but my remaining interest in this is how it will play out in the Umbrella Academy. He/she was always kind of a tomboy so I don't expect too much of a difference as far as the show goes.
Old 05-25-21, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
This is the argument that has been thrown around since this issue became hot but I’m curious, how many documented cases of a perverted man, under the guise of trans rights, have there been?

It's as widespread as voter fraud.
milo bloom (05-26-21)
Old 05-25-21, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
Definitely not something I needed to see, but my remaining interest in this is how it will play out in the Umbrella Academy. He/she was always kind of a tomboy so I don't expect too much of a difference as far as the show goes.
he
The following 3 users liked this post by Deftones:
Decker (05-25-21), IBJoel (05-26-21), majorjoe23 (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Clearly we need a perverts-only bathroom option.
Old 05-26-21, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Clearly we need a perverts-only bathroom option.
I thought that's what all the restrooms at public parks and rest stops were, at least in practice.
IBJoel (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's as widespread as voter fraud.
Comment of the year right there.

And a lot of the bathroom issues could be fixed very easily. How many times have you ever visited a place, like a small restaurant and it had two bathrooms, labeled for men and women, but each was a single occupancy bathroom? Why? Just label each one "restroom" and you immediately help with the issue of lines forming outside of the women's bathroom.
Old 05-29-21, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,463 Likes on 930 Posts

Lindsey Ellis made a YouTube video called Tracing the Roots of Pop Culture Transphobia.

I was genuinely disturbed at the ten minute segment starting at 26:45 Two Decades of Puking.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 06-01-21 at 01:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Nick Danger:
Dan (05-29-21), IBJoel (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 12:08 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

I've been going through old MST3K episodes and there's a fair bit of transphobia in a few episodes. Any woman that has any muscle definition is joked about being trans. I had to turn off one episode, since that "joke" got brought up every time the dancer was on screen.
Old 06-01-21, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I've been going through old MST3K episodes and there's a fair bit of transphobia in a few episodes. Any woman that has any muscle definition is joked about being trans. I had to turn off one episode, since that "joke" got brought up every time the dancer was on screen.
Yeah, I've watched some of the ones on YouTube where the new crew and Joel will re-watch older episodes and every time a joke like that or just an old fashioned sexist joke came up, more often than not you'd hear a "errrm" from one of the new people, clearly uncomfortable.

I still don't think the old show was ever meant to be truly hateful but the way they were doing so many jokes for an entire movie, they would just end up putting every kind of comment in and not always think about how they would age.
Old 06-01-21, 01:52 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

That's the, in my opinion, great thing about comedy in general. Some jokes age wonderfully, and some jokes fall completely flat 1, or 5, or 10, or 30 years later. In the case of those MST3K jokes, it's the latter, and that's ok, and they have made 100x more jokes that still hold up. I like what Seth Rogen said about that recently, too. There's no need for comedians to get defensive about their old jokes that don't play as well anymore. There's still plenty of room for irreverent humor instead of lazy punchlines.
IBJoel (06-01-21)
Old 06-01-21, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Received 1,068 Likes on 621 Posts

Yeah, I've watched some of the ones on YouTube where the new crew and Joel will re-watch older episodes and every time a joke like that or just an old fashioned sexist joke came up, more often than not you'd hear a "errrm" from one of the new people, clearly uncomfortable.

I still don't think the old show was ever meant to be truly hateful but the way they were doing so many jokes for an entire movie, they would just end up putting every kind of comment in and not always think about how they would age.
Oh no, I absolutely think it was just "Oh that's weird, funny stuff" in their minds. They couldn't see the future and know that discussion, prejudice, and acceptance of non-traditional gender norms was going to be a major issue, 20-30 years from then.
Old 06-01-21, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,203 Likes on 2,067 Posts

Jesus, they’re now making commentaries for the commentaries they originally made on those old movies?!

I guess I haven’t kept up with the MST3K crowd.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.