Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

Old 12-19-23, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 974 Likes on 681 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

IMO it's not the comic book history that made Thanos such a great villain in the MCU. It's the writing and the acting. They could make any Marvel villain be a great MCU villain. They just need great writing.
The following 3 users liked this post by tanman:
Abob Teff (12-20-23), IBJoel (12-19-23), Spiderbite (12-19-23)
Old 12-19-23, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,574 Posts
Re: The General Marvel Cinematic Universe Film discussion thread - News, rumors, etc.

I say, bring on Annihilus!

The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (12-22-23)
Old 12-19-23, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,148 Likes on 702 Posts

I know they likely won't recast but if they did, my vote is for Mustafa Shakir. He played Bushmaster in the second season of Luke Cage.

The guy has a great comic book villain face, acts, moves and fights well and just has an overall great presence. He elevated an otherwise pretty dull, overlong season of Luke Cage.

Old 12-19-23, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,171 Likes on 913 Posts

I mean it’s not an ideal situation for anyone involved but I kind of feel like the storyline can be reworked to push Kang out of the picture and replace him with a different villain.
Old 12-19-23, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 480 Likes on 331 Posts

The end of Loki S2 did seem to give Marvel an out if they wanted to get rid of Majors and drop the Kang storyline.
IBJoel (12-19-23)
Old 12-22-23, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

This entire mishegas reminds me of when JMS was struggling to get Babylon 5 to a full five seasons in the mid/late 90s.

Really long story super short, he had to tell a five-year saga with absolutely zero guarantees he'd get picked up for another season (and this was a cliffhanger every freakin year, as Lurkers can attest), or that actors wouldn't leave for other projects, or budgets being cut (not that he had much, but he did more with it than anyone possibly could), etc. When you're telling that kind of interconnected story, real-life circumstances can and did drastically alter the original plan. Multiple times.

So when he wrote his series bible, he wrote "trapdoors" for every major character and narrative (and subplots). The series lead left after one season!. No problem. They were able to pivot and get where they needed to be with a new lead (and a completely different character) and slightly shift the narrative (without affecting the overall story). The season 4 finale was written as a series finale if the fifth season never happened. Many of the main characters in the pilot episode didn't even make it into the series (the original first officer, the doctor, the lead telepath [who eventually returned] and so forth). He even had storyline reasons for their "mysterious" disappearances.

I say all this because if Marvel wants to continue down this road, they need to implement contingencies like this. It also forces them to really have a driving storyline and not just hints at something that will happen 4 years down the line, maybe.

The original Marvel (through Endgame) was lighting in a bottle. I can't imagine that ever repeating again. I'd love them to prove me wrong though.
Old 01-01-24, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Disney self-corrects one of its most egregious instances of over-spending for no good reason . . .

https://www.screengeek.net/2023/12/2...marvel-studios

Not sure if Vin Diesel is actually out as the voice of Groot, but there are some speculative articles out there. Doesn't look like any formal announcement, just "somebody else did the voice in the new season of What if . . . ?"

However . . . on the heels of Kang:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...rmer-assistant
Vin Diesel Accused of Sexual Battery in Lawsuit by Former Assistant
Old 01-02-24, 04:38 AM

Another click-bait article. Everything in it is pure speculation that Vin Diesel is out of the MCU. Not everyone returned for the What If...? episodes.

Now the accusation is another story.
Old 01-02-24, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,255 Likes on 864 Posts

Originally Posted by Meathead
Another click-bait article. Everything in it is pure speculation that Vin Diesel is out of the MCU. Not everyone returned for the What If...? episodes.

Now the accusation is another story.
I wasn't going to post it because it did seem speculative and click-baity, but I thought the two pieces together were intriguing. I agree, not getting a major voice for animation is not new, however Diesel has done the voice of Groot in EVERY screen appearance up till this, no matter how small. Personally, I thought it made more sense as simply a cost-cutting measure. I never understood why they paid Diesel-money for that.
Old 01-02-24, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 652 Likes on 502 Posts

With rare exceptions, I assumed they'd have all the Diesel "I am Groot" line readings they'd ever need by now.
The following 2 users liked this post by RocShemp:
IBJoel (01-02-24), story (01-02-24)
Old 01-03-24, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,043 Likes on 640 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
With rare exceptions, I assumed they'd have all the Diesel "I am Groot" line readings they'd ever need by now.
I don't know exactly how these kind of contracts work, but I have heard of clauses that only allow video and/or audio recorded for a project to be used in that project alone. So that a studio wouldn't be able to just piece together a voice performance on a new project using prior recordings. Or, if they did, they would have to pay the performer for the use of their voice on the new project. Could be the case here.
Old 01-03-24, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 652 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I don't know exactly how these kind of contracts work, but I have heard of clauses that only allow video and/or audio recorded for a project to be used in that project alone. So that a studio wouldn't be able to just piece together a voice performance on a new project using prior recordings. Or, if they did, they would have to pay the performer for the use of their voice on the new project. Could be the case here.
I figure they'd pay him for each use, sort of as a likeness rights fee, but I figure "recycled" performances can't be as expensive as ones requiring a new recording booth session. And it's not like Disney is strapped for cash.

Then again, given Diesel's current legal troubles, and the fact most kids don't know/care who voices Groot, it's a simple cost cutting measure getting a no-name impersonator to record new renditions of the same line.
IBJoel (01-04-24)
Old 02-07-24, 05:02 PM

Received 4,685 Likes on 3,173 Posts

Old 02-07-24, 05:15 PM

Thunderbolts has been pulled from the 2025 releases and Iger also skipped mentioning Blade in 2025.

Recent comments by Disney boss Bob Iger might have some MCU fans left scratching their heads. During Disney's latest earnings call Wednesday, Iger skipped over both Thunderbolts and Blade while discussing films the company has set for release in 2025. Both productions have gone through many changes behind the scenes, causing a potentially worrisome scenario for fans hoping to see either movie.
https://comicbook.com/movies/news/bl...earnings-call/
Old 02-07-24, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 382 Likes on 271 Posts

How bout ya take a risk on something inspiring. They’re more interested in churning out more of the same.

it was nice while it lasted.
IBJoel (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 06:13 PM

Not mentioning it doesn’t meant it’s pulled from the schedule.

It starts filming soon.
IBJoel (02-07-24)
Old 02-07-24, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Received 1,080 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Not mentioning it doesn’t meant it’s pulled from the schedule.

It starts filming soon.
Yeah, Blade would seem to be a stronger franchise. Greater brand recognition and an Oscar-winning lead. Plus, it SHOULD require lower capital investment. But Lord knows Disney will figure out a way to sink $200M into a vampire movie.
Old 02-07-24, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,820 Likes on 1,939 Posts

They could also consider hiring better directors, show runners, and writers to develop their properties instead of just half-assing everything with a bloated budget.
Nesbit (02-21-24)
Old 02-21-24, 12:11 PM

Just over a year ago, Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania was set to take Marvel Studios to the next level. A new villain was going to be introduced, setting the stage for several years’ worth of storytelling. And the movie itself was a giant-sizing of a franchise that was previously modest in scope. Instead, the Peyton Reed-directed movie heralded a year’s worth of missteps, box office blunders and PR nightmares. It was all uncharted territory for Marvel, which had steadily been generating box office gold for 15 years.

But the Disney division is in the midst of a pretty darn good February, all things considered, despite the general gloom that surrounds the superhero genre as of late. The Super Bowl trailer for Deadpool & Wolverine became the most watched trailer of all time, with 365 million views in 24 hours. Yes, Disney’s math includes the 123 million people who tuned in for the game, which included just 30 seconds of the trailer, but Super Bowl fudging or not, the clip’s reach was an encouraging number for a studio whose last movie, The Marvels, became the lowest-grossing in the MCU’s 33-film run, hitting just $206 million globally.

Next came the Valentine’s Day unveiling of the cast of Fantastic Four — Pedro Pascal, Vanessa Kirby, Ebon Moss-Bachrach and Joseph Quinn, coupled with retro art teasing a 1960s setting for the movie. (The Fantastic Four are a cornerstone of the Marvel mythos, with writer Stan Lee and artist Jack Kirby introducing the team in 1961’s Fantastic Four No. 1, the comic that would initiate the Marvel Universe, so the symbolic launch of the new team carries a lot of weight for the film division. This will be the third incarnation of the Fantastic Four to hit the big screen, not counting the infamous Roger Corman version.)

A day later, Marvel launched the trailer for X-Men ’97, a revival of the 1990s cartoon that debuts in March. The trailer set an internal Disney record as the biggest launch for an animated series on Disney+, ahead of other Marvel shows such as What If …? and any animated Star Wars series.

These public-facing moves come as studio boss Kevin Feige recalibrates the creative direction behind the scenes. Early in February, the company completed reshoots for Agatha: Darkhold Diaries, the WandaVision spinoff starring Kathryn Hahn that is expected to hit Disney+ this fall. The company usually budgets five days of reshoots into the schedule, but the studio completed the work in just one, fueling a sunny outlook around the show internally, according to sources associated with the series.

The studio also quietly hired Eric Pearson to polish the script for Fantastic Four, which will shoot this summer in London. Pearson is a company stalwart who worked on Thor: Ragnarok and Black Widow and has a reputation for taking projects over the finish line. The stakes for that movie are high, as the studio is still searching for characters and actors who can carry its universe forward after the exits of Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Evans.

Marvel also hired Joanna Calo, the showrunner of acclaimed FX series The Bear, to work on the script for Thunderbolts, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The film will begin shooting in March in Atlanta. Her hiring adds a flair of prestige to the project, which stars Florence Pugh and — according to a source who has read previous drafts of the script — centers on villains and antiheroes going on a mission that was supposed to end with their deaths.

Marvel is also cleaning up the creative mess left in the wake of Jonathan Majors, the once-rising actor cast to play the lynchpin villain role in the next Avengers movies but who in December was found guilty of reckless assault in the third degree and harassment in a Manhattan court after a domestic incident with his ex-partner, a movement coach he met while working on Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania. Marvel dropped Majors hours after the conviction and is rewriting those movies, which will now either minimize the character or excise him entirely. The first of the new Avengers movies, due out in 2026, was initially titled Avengers: The Kang Dynasty but will be getting a new title to remove the character’s name, though sources say that even before Majors’ conviction, the studio was making moves to minimize the character after Quantumania underperformed, grossing $476 million.

On the TV side, Marvel has been reorganizing its operations to allow for greater control from showrunners, a move made after the critical failure of the expensive Samuel L. Jackson spy series Secret Invasion, which sidelined executive producer Kyle Bradstreet after a year, with various creative factions vying for influence in his wake. The show had about 2.5 billion minutes of viewing over its six-week run, per Nielsen, in the bottom third of Marvel’s live-action Disney+ offerings so far.

“The focus is internal this year,” says one insider of all the tinkering going on behind the scenes.

Execs are not calling it a reboot, not even a soft one, but more of a creative retooling. It’s no secret that since the 2019 Avengers: Endgame, the company was asked to scale up in an unprecedented way to feed its fledgling streaming service, Disney+, then a top priority for Disney, which was in the thick of the streaming wars. First under the direction of Disney CEO Bob Iger and, later, his short-lived successor, Bob Chapek, Marvel expanded into TV series and animation, with the goal of the MCU becoming a place with a seemingly endless procession of year-round releases. It was an ask that proved too unwieldy to sustain.

“Some of our studios lost a little focus. So the first step that we’ve taken is that we’ve reduced volume,” Iger said on a Feb. 7 earnings call. “We’ve reduced output, particularly at Marvel,” in order to ensure “the films you’re making can be even better.”

As the Hollywood strikes ended in November, the studio delayed Captain America: New World Order seven months to Feb. 14, 2025, to give it time to undergo reshoots. Iger touted Captain America 4, starring Anthony Mackie, as among the 2025 Disney releases he was most excited for during the earnings call. He did not mention Blade, leading to speculation it will be moved from its November 2025 date; it’s unlikely Marvel will release four films that year given Iger’s mandate to slim down.

The dual writers and actors strikes, while costly to Hollywood, ironically gave Marvel breathing space. It was able to reschedule its movies so that only Deadpool & Wolverine will be released in 2024. And only two series — Echo and Agatha — are bowing on Disney+ this year. Other movies remain in the script stage, while TV shows (such as Ironheart) have filmed, but have no release date in sight. It is all designed to give creatives some breathing room and give audiences the chance to miss the MCU, just a little bit.

“They’re not going to give up,” says a source who has worked with Marvel over the past year. “They want to make something great.”
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...es-1235830951/
Old 02-21-24, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 206 Posts

Seems like it fits
Old 02-21-24, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 751 Likes on 549 Posts

There was a point in time a Damage Control tv series was going to happen... maybe now is a good time?
Old 02-21-24, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I mean, don't people want them to fix things and course correct? Or should they just shut it all down?

It sounds like they are taking some good lessons from what has happened so far.
Old 02-21-24, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,721 Likes on 2,674 Posts

I glanced at that article this morning. It does sound like they were taking the steps to fix the mess they’re in.

Dumping Kang and the whole Kang story is probably a good idea.

I also don’t believe in the whole “Super hero fatigue”. There is a segment sick of spending their hard earned money on average or bad movies. You want to get people excited again like in 2018, 2019, work on making better movies. Going to the movies is really expensive for many people, and you got to make it a great experience with good characters that will bring good WOM. Then, people will get excited and not just say…”I’ll just stream it in 4 months”
Abob Teff (02-21-24)
Old 02-21-24, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,331 Likes on 1,574 Posts

I was never a big fan of Kang in the comics anyway, and his appearances in Marvel projects so far did nothing for me, so good riddance, and lets bring in a cooler villian (played by an actor who doesn't assault women).
The following 2 users liked this post by cultshock:
B5Erik (02-22-24), Spiderbite (02-22-24)
Old 02-21-24, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Received 1,080 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I glanced at that article this morning. It does sound like they were taking the steps to fix the mess they’re in.

Dumping Kang and the whole Kang story is probably a good idea.

I also don’t believe in the whole “Super hero fatigue”. There is a segment sick of spending their hard earned money on average or bad movies. You want to get people excited again like in 2018, 2019, work on making better movies. Going to the movies is really expensive for many people, and you got to make it a great experience with good characters that will bring good WOM. Then, people will get excited and not just say…”I’ll just stream it in 4 months”
My question is "how do you do this?". Do you focus on the mytharc? Do you just let creatives do their own thing (Feige laughs maniacally)? Do you deepdive on exploring themes and other genres?

The obvious answer is "Why choose? Do all three." But it's incredibly hard to do that. For every Winter Soldier, you end up with one or two divisive films like Iron Man 3 or Eternals (both of which I love!) or trade Guardians of the Galaxy (which expands the "universe" while focusing on fun characters) for something that's too bogged down in lore and setting up the next movie, like The Dark World or Age of Ultron.

It's hard to thread the needle, especially now that Marvel has settled its brand into Whedon-esque tone and by-the-numbers plot/pacing (because I mean, what, you're NOT going to have a beam of light/portal shoot into the sky in the third act? /s)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.