Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (D: Joe Johnston)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 10:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SOURCE

I really hope Will Poulter and Liam Neeson will return for this.

The C.S. Lewis Company has entered into an agreement with The Mark Gordon Company to jointly develop and produce The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair, the fourth book published in C.S. Lewis' famed fantasy series. The announcement was made today by The C.S. Lewis Company.

Mark Gordon stated, "Like many readers, both young and old, I am a huge fan of C.S. Lewis's beautiful and allegorical world of Narnia. These fantasy stories inspire real-world passion among millions of devoted fans around the world. As we prepare to bring the next book to life, we are humbled and excited to contribute to the outstanding legacy of Narnia."

Douglas Gresham, stepson of C.S. Lewis stated, "I have a great deal of respect for Mark Gordon's work and am confident that together we can bring the beauty and magical delight that Narnia engenders in the hearts of those who read the books to the screen in 'The Silver Chair.' I am very much looking forward to diving once more into Narnia, this time with Mark Gordon and his team."

Mark Gordon and Douglas Gresham along with Vincent Sieber, the LA based Director of The C.S. Lewis Company, will serve as producers and work with The Mark Gordon Company on developing the script. Michele Wolkoff and Sara Smith will oversee for The Mark Gordon Company.

Vincent Sieber stated, "We are very excited by this partnership and to be able to work on this movie from its earliest conception on such a collaborative basis. It gives us the opportunity to develop a script and then produce a film with some of the most talented industry professionals whilst remaining completely faithful to this much loved book.”

The first three Narnia films combined have grossed over $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office.

A classic series of seven novels that have sold over 100 million copies worldwide, C.S. Lewis' "The Chronicles of Narnia" began with the publication of "The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe" in 1950. Six more novels (including the prequel, "The Magician's Nephew," and the sequels, "The Horse and His Boy," "Prince Caspian," "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," "The Silver Chair" and "The Last Battle") would follow in the next six years. The final title in the series, "The Last Battle," was awarded the highest mark of excellence in children’s literature, the prestigious Carnegie Award.
Old 10-01-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
re: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (D: Joe Johnston)

Everything after the first film has sucked. I did like the director's cut of the first Narnia film but they yet to release it on Blu-ray.
Old 10-01-13, 10:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I dunno, I've liked them so far. I don't think they're great, but I'd be down to see another one. Although based on the lackluster business they've done, I doubt we'll see the remaining 3 see the big screen.
Old 10-01-13, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I think releasing the second one in the summer did some permanent damage to this series. It seems like a perfect fit for the holiday season.
Old 10-01-13, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

They're the most well made religious allegory series out there so sure why not, they're at least competent.

I would like to see the rest of the His Dark Materials movies made too.
Old 10-01-13, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
I dunno, I've liked them so far. I don't think they're great, but I'd be down to see another one. Although based on the lackluster business they've done, I doubt we'll see the remaining 3 see the big screen.
You posted pretty much what I was going to post.
Old 10-01-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Didn't really care for the 2nd one. Never saw the 3rd.
Old 10-02-13, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
They're the most well made religious allegory series out there so sure why not, they're at least competent.

I would like to see the rest of the His Dark Materials movies made too.
I'd love to see His Dark Materials flicks but the first one bombed so badly we'll never see them. I love the books, though.
Old 10-02-13, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,470 Likes on 935 Posts

The Silver Chair is an major downer of a book. Jill screws up in the first chapter and is punished by God for the rest of the story. It's always cold and muddy. A major character is named "Puddleglum" and he's more negative than Eeyore.

I doubt that people will want to see it. Because of that, I expect it to kill the series.
Old 10-02-13, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Hard to imagine them ever making it to "The Last Battle" (Book 7) which is basically the Rapture with a lion. I would love to see "The Magician's Nephew" which I always liked, Book 6, it tells how Narnia came to be. (But also pretty heavy on the Bible thumping when I re-read it a while ago.)

I really don't think very much of "The Silver Chair" or "A Horse and His Boy" which I barely remember. Actually, "Dawn Treader" was always my favorite of the whole and while it wasn't a great movie it was decent, and nice to see that one done up in the cinema.
Old 10-02-13, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

I think the series has turned out better than I initially expected. They haven't made too many drastic changes from the books and the spirit of the books is on the screen. In a better world this series would have been more popular than the Harry Potter franchise.
Old 10-02-13, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I'd love to see His Dark Materials flicks but the first one bombed so badly we'll never see them. I love the books, though.
$372m on a $180m budget isn't THAT massive of a bomb. But yeah I see your point.
Old 10-02-13, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Didn't really care for the 2nd one. Never saw the 3rd.
Same here. I like the first one a lot, but the second one was a bore. I need to get off my ass and watch #3.
Old 10-02-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

They should have went with The Magician's Nephew instead.
Old 10-02-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,470 Likes on 935 Posts

Originally Posted by The Antipodean
Hard to imagine them ever making it to "The Last Battle" (Book 7) which is basically the Rapture with a lion. I would love to see "The Magician's Nephew" which I always liked, Book 6, it tells how Narnia came to be. (But also pretty heavy on the Bible thumping when I re-read it a while ago.)

I really don't think very much of "The Silver Chair" or "A Horse and His Boy" which I barely remember. Actually, "Dawn Treader" was always my favorite of the whole and while it wasn't a great movie it was decent, and nice to see that one done up in the cinema.
I thought "A Horse and His Boy" rocked. I re-read it as an adult and still liked it. A boy escapes slavery, rides across the countryside on a talking stallion, is joined by a girl, has thrilling adventures, is taken in by knights in shining armor, saves the day, and learns that he is really a prince. It's loaded with wish-fufillment and has almost no moralizing.
Old 10-02-13, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Same here. I like the first one a lot, but the second one was a bore. I need to get off my ass and watch #3.
I was so bummed by the quality of the second on that I avoided the third one like the plague. But when I finally sat down to watch it (reluctantly), I was pleasantly surprised. It's decent.
Old 10-02-13, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
$372m on a $180m budget isn't THAT massive of a bomb. But yeah I see your point.
Well, it's one of the main reason why New Line ended up merging with WB:

Overseas rights to the film were sold to fund the $180 million production budget for the film, so most of these profits did not go to New Line. This has been cited as a potential "last straw" in Time Warner's decision to merge New Line Cinema into Warner Bros Pictures.
Old 10-02-13, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, it's amazing to me that the company that produced Lord of the Rings could find themselves in such an issue. But I suppose them deciding to sell foreign rights where the property is actually well known would make me think twice about a company as well.
Old 10-02-13, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I only watched the first one, which I enjoyed quite a bit. Never watched the next two, although I've been meaning to. I read the books, but was never a huge fan and don't recall them that much except for the first book. I did remember loving the Magician's Nephew though.

I actually think it would be nice if these make enough to complete the series. Every time the series seems dead, it seems to manage to limp along for the next sequel.
Old 10-02-13, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wonder who they'll pick for the director this time? I enjoyed the first film quite a bit, thought it was excellent, was a little less enthusiastic about the second, though it was just OK. Never saw the third.

As regards the His Dark Materials trilogy, was Northern Lights actually quite successful overseas whereas The Golden Compass bombed here in the US, and Paramount or whoever it was sold the overseas rights to a separate company because it apparently never occurred to them that since the book was British, perhaps it had an audience over there?
Old 10-02-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's a mistake to skip viewing the third movie. It was much better than the second one and even has some touching moments.
Old 10-02-13, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked all three well enough. I too would have preferred The Magician's Nephew, though.
Old 12-05-13, 06:17 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Life Of Pi scribe David Magee has signed on to write The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Silver Chair, the latest adaptation of CS Lewis’ fantasy book series that the the Mark Gordon Company and the C.S. Lewis Company are developing and producing. The pic would extend the franchise that last appeared with The Chronicles Of Narnia: The Voyage Of The Dawn Treader, which Fox released in 2010. There’s no distributor for this one yet; the companies announced their reboot plans in October. Magee has been nominated for two screenwriting Oscars, the last for 2012′s Life Of Pi — also an adaptation of a bestseller. In 2004 he earned an Oscar nom for Finding Neverland. “I have always loved The Chronicles Of Narnia and I endlessly imagined myself finding my own passage into Narnia someday”, Magee said in the release announcing the deal today. “All these years later, I’m getting to fulfill that wish just a little bit by writing the film adaptation of The Silver Chair and could not be more excited about it.” Mark Gordon and Douglas Gresham along with Vincent Sieber, the LA-based director of the C.S. Lewis Company, are producing. Michele Wolkoff and Sara Smith will oversee for the Mark Gordon Company. The first three Narnia films — covering the first three of seven novels in the book series — combined grossed more $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office.
Old 12-05-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Glad to see this series continuing. I love 'em. They just need to get them out faster to keep interest up. Look at Harry Potter, Twilight, Hunger Games and the LOTR/Hobbit films. Gotta strike while the iron is hot.
Old 12-08-13, 02:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

so I assume the role of Eustace Scrubb will be recast.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.