Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (D: Joe Johnston)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (D: Joe Johnston)

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-16, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
re: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (D: Joe Johnston)

Maybe make it PG-13?

I wonder if Peter Jackson would be interested in rebooting this. That would get audiences and the financing.
Old 01-14-16, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they wont let this die huh
Old 01-14-16, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I actually thought the movies turned out pretty well considering the liberties Hollywood usually takes with beloved children's properties. The thing with Narnia is that despite featuring mostly teen characters, it's a book series aimed more at pre-teens.

The perfect format would be a premium cable series on HBO or Starz, ala Game of Thrones.
Old 01-14-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I loved the books as a kid, but thought the first one was a pale LOTR wannabe, and Caspian was even worse. Then going in with zero expectations, I actually thought Voyage was decent.

I'll welcome further movies if they can manage to bump up the quality in writing, directing, acting, and effects. A clean slate makes a lot of sense.
Old 08-09-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 748 Likes on 370 Posts

Sony putting up the money and it is apparently on again:

http://deadline.com/2016/08/the-chro...ee-1201800919/

EXCLUSIVE: The C.S. Lewis classic series The Chronicles of Narnia will receive new life on screen. Sony-based TriStar Pictures is joining The Mark Gordon Company, The C.S. Lewis Company, and Entertainment One (eOne) to make The Silver Chair. The film will be financed by TriStar, eOne and The Mark Gordon Company with Sony and eOne distributing the picture. Mark Gordon, C.S. Lewis’ stepson Douglas Gresham, Vincent Sieber, and Melvin Adams will produce the film. Life Of Pi and Finding Neverland scribe David Magee was already writing the script.

This becomes the second live action iteration of the literary classic. The previous films grossed a collective $1.6 billion at the worldwide box office and they were 2005’s The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, 2008’s Prince Caspian and 2010’s The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. The first two came through Disney, and the latter through Fox 2000. The property fits TriStar head Hannah Minghella’s mandate to generate literary properties that will travel, something that fits Tom Rothman’s mandate at Sony. The seven novels in the series have sold over 100 million copies worldwide.

Said Gordon: “Developing this project with The C.S. Lewis Company has been immensely exciting and a real joy. We are so pleased to team up with our good friends at TriStar and our partners at eOne to introduce this new, magical chapter of the Narnia franchise to fans around the world, both old and new.”

Minghella grew up loving the books. “Reading The Chronicles of Narnia was one of the formative experiences of my childhood, just as it has been for children around the world for generations,” she said in a statement. “To have the opportunity to bring new life to the Narnia films with a new creative team is a career highlight. Our mission is to build TriStar Pictures as a home for filmmaker-driven literary and commercial movies, and this film represents a huge step forward for us. We’re thrilled to be working with Mark, Doug, Melvin, Vincent, and David as we adapt The Silver Chair.”

Gresham, the stepson of the late author Lewis said “It’s been both fun and exciting to work with Mark Gordon and David Magee to develop the next Narnian movie, and now it’s a thrill to welcome Tristar to our Narnia family. I greatly look forward to plunging again into the joys and challenges of once more bringing Narnia to the screen, this time with the wonderful story of The Silver Chair.”

Nicole Brown will oversee the project for TriStar with Minghella, with Sara Smith overseeing the project for The Mark Gordon Company. TriStar has the Ang Lee-directed Billy Lynn coming up next.
Old 08-09-16, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

We want that Intl $$
Old 08-09-16, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

I'm guessing they've discussed with their lawyers and accountants how to use this film as some sort of financial loss write-off cause this thing has Box Office dud written all over it.

And glad to see Nicole Brown recover from that whole being murdered by O.J. thing.
Old 08-09-16, 05:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Maybe make it PG-13?

I wonder if Peter Jackson would be interested in rebooting this. That would get audiences and the financing.
"As we wrote the script, we realized we couldn't possibly tell the story of The Silver Chair in one movie, so we've broken it into three, introduced a whole host of new original characters, and you won't like any of them!"

-Peter Jackson describing his creative process
Old 08-09-16, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I thought they were already filming on the same lot as The Golden Compass sequel.
Old 08-09-16, 08:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I thought they were already filming on the same lot as The Golden Compass sequel.
HAH ---- yeah... riiiiiight.
Old 08-09-16, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a mistake to skip viewing the third movie. It was much better than the second one and even has some touching moments.
I still haven't seen the third one, even though I own it on Blu-ray...may be time to pull it out. I did like the second one (although obviously not as much as the first).
Old 04-26-17, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

‘Captain America’ Director Joe Johnston Boards ‘Narnia’ Revival ‘The Silver Chair’ (EXCLUSIVE)

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/na...on-1202399920/
Old 04-26-17, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm psyched for more of these. I'm a huge Lewis fan--probably read more stuff by him than any other author, although I'm much more familiar with his non-fiction. I think I've only read the Narnia stories once. I like all three movies quite a bit, and to me, while not perfect, they were more substantial than the Harry Potter movies.

Besides being friends, of course, Lewis and Tolkien were both coming from a similar Christian worldview for their stories--but I think Tolkien's non-allegorical approach was probably a little more successful overall. Lewis did tend to mix in different elements somewhat haphazardly, IMO (like Father Christmas showing up in Lion, Witch, Wardrobe.)

Personally, I would love to see a big-budget movie series of Lewis's Space Trilogy.
Old 04-26-17, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm not a Christian but really love the way the Christ story and various Christian allegories are retold in and woven through the Narnia stories. And none of them never seemed truly forced until the last half of The Final Battle, but honestly where else could they go with Revelations?

Bring on The Silver Chair. Even though it's my least favorite of the saga, Joe Johnston is a better director than anyone they've brought aboard thus far. Although I long for the visuals of The Magician's Nephew...
Old 04-26-17, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Although I long for the visuals of The Magician's Nephew...
I'd have to read them again to refresh my memory, but as I recall The Magician's Nephew was one that really stood out for me.
Old 04-26-17, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
I'd have to read them again to refresh my memory, but as I recall The Magician's Nephew was one that really stood out for me.
The rings, the pools, the Woods between Worlds, the destroyed pre-Earth with a desiccated Jadis presiding over it, it's a pretty amazing story (and Narnia prequel). Probably my favorite after TLTW&TW, which pretty much captured my attention like nothing else when I was 8.
Old 04-26-17, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

About time. It made so much money overseas, always wondered why they dragged their feet on this.
Old 04-27-17, 05:59 AM

^If these things were money making machines, this franchise would not be on its third different studio.
Old 04-27-17, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 64 Posts
Re: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair (D: Joe Johnston)

The first one made $745 million worldwide, then the next two made over $300 million less each.

Agree on The Magician's Nephew--if it can be done right, it could really be spectacular. The world, Charn, where the White Witch is from used to creep me out.

The Silver Chair was my favorite of the old BBC telefilms, with the best casting by far of the movies. The kids were great and Tom Baker as Puddleglum was perfect.
Old 04-27-17, 01:11 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

This is going to be a hard book to transfer to film. The very 'British' cockney giants, puddleglum, underworld weirdness will all be hard to weave. Modern YA writers all craft their books to be movies (twilight, hunger games et al) It's sad to see Narnia suffer.
Old 04-28-17, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Since when did $400+ million dollars that a film makes (not including the money gained from rentals and DVDs/blu rays) become nothing? 12th highest-grossing film worldwide of 2010, as well as Fox's highest-grossing film of that year (the last film so far).
Old 04-28-17, 06:59 AM

It isn't nothing, but when the production budget is $155 Million before advertising, it isn't a rousing success either.
Old 04-28-17, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given the plot of The Silver Chair, the fourth book in the series, which takes places decades in future from where we last saw our heroes in 2010’s Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I also asked if we would see any of the original cast reprising their roles in the new film. The answer is a hard no.
It takes place the same year in England, but decades later in Narnia, which would have no impact on the English actors, except of course they've all aged out.

I never really enjoyed the Narnia books as much as some, but The Silver Chair was probably my favorite. It was the least preachy.
Old 04-28-17, 01:32 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Never was a fan, especially that "Tomorrow" song. Pass.
Old 04-28-17, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Since when did $400+ million dollars that a film makes (not including the money gained from rentals and DVDs/blu rays) become nothing? 12th highest-grossing film worldwide of 2010, as well as Fox's highest-grossing film of that year (the last film so far).
The series makes money at the box office but I think I heard the international rights are complicated, forcing profit-sharing beyond what most studios are comfortable with.

As we have seen with the Hulk and Disney, studios absolutely loathe having to share box office rights with anyone.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.