Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Riddick (Twohy, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Riddick (Twohy, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
3.23%
6.45%
32.26%
12.90%
22.58%
3.23%
6.45%
3.23%
3.23%
0%
3.23%
Riddickulous
3.23%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-13, 12:46 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

Please continue pre-release discussion here.

Movie:
"Riddick" (Starring: Vin Diesel, Jordi Mollà, Matt Nable, Katee Sackhoff, Dave Bautista, Bokeem Woodbine, Karl Urban)

Release Date:
9/6/2013

Rating:
R (for strong violence, language and some sexual content/nudity throughout.)

Running Time:
119min. (1h. 59m.)

Budget:
$38 million (estimated)

IMDb Synopsis:
Spoiler:
Riddick, the latest chapter of the groundbreaking saga that began with 2000's hit sci-fi film Pitch Black and 2004's The Chronicles of Riddick reunites writer/director David Twohy (A Perfect Getaway, The Fugitive) and star Vin Diesel (the Fast and Furious franchise, xXx). Diesel reprises his role as the antihero Riddick, a dangerous, escaped convict wanted by every bounty hunter in the known galaxy. The infamous Riddick has been left for dead on a sun-scorched planet that appears to be lifeless. Soon, however, he finds himself fighting for survival against alien predators more lethal than any human he's encountered. The only way off is for Riddick to activate an emergency beacon and alert mercenaries who rapidly descend to the planet in search of their bounty. The first ship to arrive carries a new breed of merc, more lethal and violent, while the second is captained by a man whose pursuit of Riddick is more personal. With time running out and a storm on the horizon that no one could survive, his hunters won't leave the planet without Riddick's head as their trophy.

IMDb Info and Rating:
7.7 (2,550 votes as of 9/6/13)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:50 Rotten:37 (57% as of 9/6/13)

Metacritic:
46 metascore ('Mixed or average reviews' as of 9/6/13)

Trailer:
<object width="720" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/78642"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/78642" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" allowfullscreen="true" width="720" height="344"></embed></object>

Poster Art:

ATTENTION:

dan30oly, Arpeggi, Spottedfeather & PenguinJoe please do not enter your "traditional" star review in these threads any longer. Whether intentional or not, it is a troll move to always vote 0 or 1.0 stars, whether you've seen the movie or not, and no longer appreciated in these, somewhat, legitimate reviews threads.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION AND UNDERSTANDING IN THIS MATTER**
Old 09-02-13, 01:39 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Riddick (Twohy, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

so, does Starbuck live or what?
Old 09-03-13, 01:20 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Any word on this yet? If I have time this weekend I'll try and see it. But, it looks too similiar to the plot of Pitch Black.
Old 09-03-13, 01:23 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
ATTENTION:

dan30oly, Arpeggi & PenguinJoe please do not enter your "traditional" star review in these threads any longer. Whether intentional or not, it is a troll move to always vote 0 or 1.0 stars, whether you've seen the movie or not, and no longer appreciated in these, somewhat, legitimate reviews threads.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION AND UNDERSTANDING IN THIS MATTER**
Since the moderators don't read every thread cover-to-cover, please flag any objectionable posts. I think these folks have been asked nicely, so hopefully that will do the trick.
Old 09-03-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

So this is gonna be this years Dredd, right? A well reviewed genre film that bombs.
Old 09-03-13, 02:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm a sucker for Riddick, so I'm seeing it no matter what.
Old 09-03-13, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho
Since the moderators don't read every thread cover-to-cover, please flag any objectionable posts. I think these folks have been asked nicely, so hopefully that will do the trick.
they don't post. that's just it. they merely vote 0-1.5 stars way before the movies are ever released (in almost every review thread). people ask for explanation of why voted, but they have never respond. they merely think they are being comical (assumably)...
Old 09-03-13, 03:18 PM

i'm gonna try and watch Pitch Black and Chronicles prior to seeing the new one...
Old 09-04-13, 09:22 AM

Spottedfeather...you're now on the list! welcome to trollocrity...
Old 09-04-13, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Scott Foundas in Variety gives this a rave review:

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews...akingnewsalert

He even makes me want to see it.
Old 09-04-13, 03:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spottedfeather...you're now on the list! welcome to trollocrity...
Seriously? That's quite a jerk move considering how on the edge he already is.
Old 09-04-13, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

they don't post. that's just it. they merely vote 0-1.5 stars way before the movies are ever released (in almost every review thread). people ask for explanation of why voted, but they have never respond. they merely think they are being comical (assumably)...
But, but, but it's soooo funny when dan30oly shits on Citizen Kane and then praises Adam Sandler!
Old 09-04-13, 03:16 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Looks solid. Really liked "Pitch Black" and this looks similar.
Old 09-04-13, 04:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice. That review gets me giddy.
Old 09-04-13, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Looks solid. Really liked "Pitch Black" and this looks similar.
i'm in the midst of my mini-marathon and loving it!!
Old 09-05-13, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Given how the characters behave, I'm not sure the writers of Riddick have ever met any people.

The film doesn't start for an hour. In that time we see a lot of Riddick stranded on a mostly-dead world, fighting off all manner of cartoons while he gets back on his feet. He makes it a point of saying he's gotten soft and he needs to become tough and brutal again. First step is he gets a puppy.

That half, with Diesel playing Cast Away with an animated dog, is the good half. In the second half of the film, the wafer-thin plot doesn't amount to much more than a Pitch Black remake with hardly any of the original's charm or character depth. Lots of talented actors here (well, and that one guy from The Canyons, so you can imagine how seriously I could take his performance), all wasted. The beautiful CGI landscapes do look beautiful, but they do also look CGI; actors standing "outside" look like they're standing in front of very fancy wallpaper.

Skip it, guys. It kinda stinks.
Old 09-05-13, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Given how the characters behave, I'm not sure the writers of Riddick have ever met any people.

The film doesn't start for an hour. In that time we see a lot of Riddick stranded on a mostly-dead world, fighting off all manner of cartoons while he gets back on his feet. He makes it a point of saying he's gotten soft and he needs to become tough and brutal again. First step is he gets a puppy.

That half, with Diesel playing Cast Away with an animated dog, is the good half. In the second half of the film, the wafer-thin plot doesn't amount to much more than a Pitch Black remake with hardly any of the original's charm or character depth. Lots of talented actors here (well, and that one guy from The Canyons, so you can imagine how seriously I could take his performance), all wasted. The beautiful CGI landscapes do look beautiful, but they do also look CGI; actors standing "outside" look like they're standing in front of very fancy wallpaper.

Skip it, guys. It kinda stinks.
Wow. Most everywhere else I read that it was good but no Pitch Black. But the "First step is he gets a puppy" bit made me laugh.

How was Karl Urban's cameo, at least?
Spoiler:
Do they off him or at least leave him alive for a potential return in another sequel?
Old 09-05-13, 07:32 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I'm in for another Riddick movie. I enjoyed both its predecessors, I'm sure this one will entertain as well.
Old 09-05-13, 07:36 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
"First step is he gets a puppy" bit made me laugh.
...“alien jackals” that look like the offspring of a zebra and a pit bull...
Hardly fits the image of "a puppy".
Old 09-05-13, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne

That half, with Diesel playing Cast Away with an animated dog, is the good half.
I would have been more entertained by CAST AWAY if Diesel had starred in it--as Riddick.
Old 09-05-13, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

61% currently on Rottten Tomatoes, it will probably drop a bit with only 31 reviews in. That said, I think this is a movie i'm intent on watching no matter if the reviews dip lower.
Old 09-05-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Loved Pitch Black. Thought Chronicles of Riddick was a long and boring mess. Even the Unrated cut didn't help it. This looks more in the realm of Pitch Black. If I have time, I'll try to check it out.
Old 09-05-13, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Yeah, this is one movie I dont care what RT numbers are. I loved Pitch Black and thought CoR was ok at best.
Old 09-05-13, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
]How was Karl Urban's cameo, at least?
Spoiler:
Do they off him or at least leave him alive for a potential return in another sequel?
It is very much a cameo. One short scene, maybe five lines. Small but pivotal, as they say.

Originally Posted by kd5
Hardly fits the image of "a puppy".
I've seen the movie. You haven't.

Spoiler:
Riddick steals a puppy from a litter and raises it as his trusty, yappy companion. It's happy, it has a cute whine, it loves its master, and is definitely twice as fearsome and well-animated as that Blarp thing from Lost In Space.

Last edited by DonnachaOne; 09-05-13 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Went into detail about the puppy. Because it is a puppy.
Old 09-05-13, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

David Twohy: If we have the flexibility to go wherever we want in the next movie and Vin and I are talking about two more movies. It would be good to do a close ended franchise rather then a franchise that just keeps spitting them out just to spit them out. We would like to get back to the Necromongers, I’m actually cutting the DVD right now, directors cut, which includes an epilogue which had Riddick returning to the Necromongers empire and setting things right there in terms of the guy who abandoned him on this planet and left him for dead and his search for Vaako who he thinks has the answer to where his home world lies. So a couple more movies in the franchise would be nice. We want to pay off the fans who stuck with us the whole time and never stopped talking about this movie to us and it was them who opened up our eyes and make us make another movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.