Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)
10.68%
8.74%
20.39%
19.42%
11.65%
9.71%
6.80%
3.88%
2.91%
2.91%
2.91%
Man of Steely Convictions
0%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Man of Steel (Snyder, 2013) — The Reviews Thread (Part II)

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
It never came off that Clark wanted to be the hero. Living under the guidance of a giant pussy will do that to a person. He damn near had to be forced into being a hero on a global scale. The rest of the flick he was a glorified firefighter. Its kinda telling that the ad people had to recolor the suit on the back of the packaging to give the impression this movie has a superhero in it.
So apparently you think fire fighters aren't heroes?
Old 11-18-13, 12:05 PM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Not the ones that wear tights and a cape.
Old 11-18-13, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
Not the ones that wear tights and a cape.
My uncle Clyde may be a little crazy, but he's still a hero!
Old 11-18-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
So apparently you think fire fighters aren't heroes?
As an EMT/FF. No.
Old 11-18-13, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,134 Posts

I think SOME people are missing the fact that Kryptonians, having been bred for SPECIFIC ROLES, seem to NOT think outside of the box...the box in this case being a Female babymaking Vagina. Zod, being a soldier created with a zealousness for preserving Krypton, only knows that he can create Kryptonians from the codex. He does not think like Jor-El and Lara.

Remember, They did something that had not been done for along time. They created and birthed a child the "traditional" way via said Vagina. So I can accept that Zod was obsessed with the Codex because that's all he knows.
Old 11-18-13, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 816 Likes on 690 Posts

I had no problems with Zod or his motivations. MOS's explanation for his background worked for me as a contemporary take on the character. The only real problem I had with Superman's portrayal was when Jonathan died in that tornado. That moment struck me as fundamentally wrong for the character.
Old 11-18-13, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,824 Likes on 1,134 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I had no problems with Zod or his motivations. MOS's explanation for his background worked for me as a contemporary take on the character. The only real problem I had with Superman's portrayal was when Jonathan died in that tornado. That moment struck me as fundamentally wrong for the character.
It was...for the traditional Supes. But this is not him and that's OK. I chose to look at it as a Clark trusts his Father even when if means he loses his Father forever.

Tell ya what...If it helps, think of this MoS as Superman from an alternate Earth/Timeline like Star Trek 2009.
Old 11-18-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I really really like this movie but i still think the tornado scene is pretty dumb
Old 11-18-13, 03:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I still think that the tornado scene is downright retarded, but I can move past it.
Old 11-18-13, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo

Tell ya what...If it helps, think of this MoS as Superman from an alternate Earth/Timeline like Star Trek 2009.
FWIW, My criticisms of MoS have never been in comparison with the Donner film. I've said many times I wanted this to be separate and something completely unto itself.
The problems I have are how these new ideas work within the film itself and for what themes the film wants to explore.

I agree with Phantom Stranger that the film desperately wants to break with the Donner material so much that it zigs only because Donners film zagged- which is one reason they went with such a retarded death for Pa Kent.
But at the same time it carries over one of Donners main contribution to the mythos to such a degree that it becomes way more of a deus ex machina than even Donners was- that is having Jor-el being not only an exposition source to Kal after death, but also being available to remedy plot complications in the physical universe.
Old 11-18-13, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 554 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by redrum
I really really like this movie but i still think the tornado scene is pretty dumb
I am still hoping for a scene in Batman Vs. Superman where Clark asks Bruce why he dresses up like a giant bat to fight crime and he tells him because he watched his parents get murdered in front of him as a kid. And then Clark says "yeah, I let my dad die in a tornado." Batman then goes ape shit, hits Clark and breaks his hand. The end and roll credits.
Old 11-18-13, 05:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
Batman then goes ape shit, hits Clark and breaks his hand. The end and roll credits.

Old 11-18-13, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Pretty shocked to say that I really liked this movie. Wasn't expecting it to have as much balls as it did.

With that said though - it does go, way, way, overboard in the action department. I mean, it was almost like those stupid transformer movies where shit is just moving around too fast.

But I still loved it and the fight with Zod was outstanding - actually very impressive now that I think about it considering with all the action that came before it - didn't think they could top all of it.

I also really loved
Spoiler:
The explanation of why he is so powerful but not so powerful that he can carry the entire planet earth off to some remote location - I don't follow comics at all but I loved how a lot of things were explained in this film

I can see a lot of people being turned off by all the sci-fi in this flick especially non-comic fans like myself. I also don't mind old school fans of the Reeve's films bashing this either - it doesn't bother me.

In all honestly, people talk about "Hey, let's ground this one in reality more" but to me, the Reeve's (Christopher not the other one) films were more grounded - this has nothing to do with my opinion of the film, just wanted to mention it as I heard a lot on the subject before seeing it.

Man of Steel had barely any casual, realistic flight shots (again, It doesn't bother me just doing a comparison here) whereas the old school ones had a ton - the flying in Man of Steel was great though.

Again, Surprised I dug this so much (even going to buy it on blu) but even the heartfelt moments of the old movies was captured great here. I don't know what's so upsetting about the tornado scene either - didn't bother me at all.

Oh and the score - it fit perfectly for the tone and feel of the film - I liked it a lot.
Old 11-18-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
FWIW, My criticisms of MoS have never been in comparison with the Donner film. I've said many times I wanted this to be separate and something completely unto itself.
The problems I have are how these new ideas work within the film itself and for what themes the film wants to explore.

I agree with Phantom Stranger that the film desperately wants to break with the Donner material so much that it zigs only because Donners film zagged- which is one reason they went with such a retarded death for Pa Kent.
But at the same time it carries over one of Donners main contribution to the mythos to such a degree that it becomes way more of a deus ex machina than even Donners was- that is having Jor-el being not only an exposition source to Kal after death, but also being available to remedy plot complications in the physical universe.
The Amazing Spiderman did the same thing (zig where the Raimi movies zagged) and people seemed to think it was the best thing ever that they separated themselves from the Raimi movies(though I strongly disagree).
Old 11-18-13, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
He did absolutely NOTHING heroic, except for save the entire planet from imminent destruction. Some hero...
And killed millions of people in the process
Old 11-18-13, 07:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
The Amazing Spiderman did the same thing (zig where the Raimi movies zagged) and people seemed to think it was the best thing ever that they separated themselves from the Raimi movies(though I strongly disagree).
Who on earth thought that movie was the best thing ever?
Old 11-18-13, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 631 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
I've seen the movie three times now. When did this "probing" take place, because I apparently missed it. In fact, I don't even recall anyone saying she was going to be probed, hence my initial question of why the heck she was even ordered to go along for the ride.
She mentions it in passing.

Honestly, watching it on BD I can see two reasons they'd want Lois. The most obvious is that Faora's ship arrived when Superman and Lois were having an intimate conversation. I'm sure Zod and the other Kryptonians would want to know who that particular human was.

The other reason, although pure speculation, would be that you figure the Kryptonian's would undoubtedly be monitoring human communications and would have see nthe news broadcast where that Blogger said that Lois Lane knew who Kal-El was. That would make her of interest to Zod as well.
Old 11-19-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
And killed millions of people in the process
Holy mother of God, he's got a set of rolleyes. EVERYONE LOWER YOUR WEAPONS AND WALK AWAY SLOWLY...

("millions of people")
Old 11-19-13, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I actually have wondered who fixes all of the collateral damage that happens in these superhero stories . It must make a lot of jobs!
Old 11-19-13, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
I actually have wondered who fixes all of the collateral damage that happens in these superhero stories . It must make a lot of jobs!
Why none other than Damage Control!

Old 11-19-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why none other than Damage Control!

Supposedly they were referenced at the end of Iron Man during one of the news broadcasts Tony is watching before his press conference but I've never been able to spot any mention of them.

I wish they'd done a Marvel One Shot about them instead of the shitty one included in the BD of The Avengers.
Old 11-19-13, 10:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd love for Damage Control to be in the MCU. A one shot would be very appropriate. Seriously... That was a missed opportunity for what could have followed The Avengers.

Does DC have anyone like that or is it just general massive clean up crews?
Old 11-19-13, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not? He's done that before in the comics, many times.
Yeah, the Kandor stuff. My question is, and I'm sure this was covered in the film and my dumb ass wasn't paying attention, if that's all he needs to do, why is Zod so hell-bent on doing it on Earth? Why not just go to some uninhabited planet?

Originally Posted by Brack
The codex had to do with bring back Krypton how Kal-El saw fit. He doesn't have to use it to create a new Krypton. Will this be explored in sequels? Probably not, but you never know.
They probably were going to before WB abandoned the notion of Superman being commercially viable by himself.

By far the best Superman movie since Superman II.
That's the very definition of faint praise though .

Originally Posted by Brack
The Codex is the Man of Steel's answer to Transformer's The Cube. It can be used to create new life, planets, etc. when needed. How it worked? Who knows, but how does the Flux Capacitor make time travel possible in Back to the Future? The answer: because Doc Brown said it did. That's all we need to know.
I get that. It's sort of like how you can fix the warp core that power a starship the size of a city with something the size of a cardboard box. I get that. And I'm willing to go with the Genesis device because it has symbolic significance relating to the film's themes of age, death, rebirth. Similarly, I'm willing to accept that the Codex represents Superman's heritage, and his choice to choose Earth over Krypton, and his new heritage. Simultaneously, as Krypton was choosing to become an increasingly sterile world and choosing the technical and moral decisions they did, it led to their destruction. They therefore sent Kal to Earth in the hope that he would absorb the best of their culture, and give them "an ideal to strive towards" and stop them from becoming like Krypton, whereas Zod represents the flip side. My problem then is that with so little of Clark's backstory given, I don't really get why he would choose the earth because of reasons we'll get to in a second.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Who on earth thought that movie was the best thing ever?
No one I've met, that's for damn sure.

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Honestly, watching it on BD I can see two reasons they'd want Lois. The most obvious is that Faora's ship arrived when Superman and Lois were having an intimate conversation. I'm sure Zod and the other Kryptonians would want to know who that particular human was.
If she had some sort of intimate relationship with Superman, I'd imagine they planned to use her as some sort of bargaining chip.

Originally Posted by Rex Power Colt-Robot Man
It never came off that Clark wanted to be the hero.
That was sort of my major problem with the film. Who is this version of Superman? Why does he want to help people? His father pretty much specifically tells him not to, it's kind of the opposite situation of the Donner film where the Earth father feels he's "here for a reason" and Jor-El tells him "not to interfere with human history." This movie actually feels more like a science-fiction movie about an alien discovering his identity than a Superman film, and I think that's why it pretty much neglects the whole mythology.

Living under the guidance of a giant pussy will do that to a person.
I cannot imagine a situation where I, invulnerable to harm, wouldn't want to save someone from a natural disaster. It wasn't even some sort of morally ambiguous situation where some human element with a possible morally understandable motivation would muddy the waters either. The bus fell in the water, Clark didn't want people to die, so he saved them. I don't get why Johnathan is being so dense about it.

He damn near had to be forced into being a hero on a global scale. The rest of the flick he was a glorified firefighter. Its kinda telling that the ad people had to recolor the suit on the back of the packaging to give the impression this movie has a superhero in it.
Like I said, the film doesn't really feel like a superhero movie. That isn't a problem necessarily if it's supposed to be some sort of deconstruction, but I don't think it works as that or that Synder was smart enough to pull it off, even after Watchmen. If the damn thing ever comes to Redbox, I'll rent it and reevaluate it. I'd get it from Blockbuster, but that damn sure isn't happening now.
Old 11-19-13, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Jonathan isn't being dense. He was very reluctant when he said "maybe" to Clark. He knows Clark did the right thing. He's just afraid that doing it so openly would get Clark caught. And Clark never stops helping people. That was the point of the fishing boat scene. He tries to keep his heroics secret and then disappears whenever he's forced to reveal himself (which is exactly what he told Lois at the cemetary). The point of this version of Jonathan Kent is to establish why he has a secret identity instead of being Superman 24/7. He helps whenever he can but he still remains hidden to an extent.

And if the rumours of the Lex in the sequel are true, that will be further explored in that Lex sees Clark as "too perfect" or too good to be true. That plays into what Jonathan told Clark after the bus incident and what Perry White told Lois. People learning of a Superman changes everything. And the only way for people to treat him normal is if he keeps pretending he's normal. Which is why he remains Clark Kent.

But this is muddled because it needs a better director than Snyder. Snyder is a great visualist but he is not a storyteller.

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
If she had some sort of intimate relationship with Superman, I'd imagine they planned to use her as some sort of bargaining chip.
Actually, they used her to find the Kent farm. After Clark rescues her from the escape pod, Lois mentions that she didn't mean to tell Zod anything but they probed her mind somehow. Then Clark tells her that he understands because they did the same to him.

Basically, Lois was a plan B in case they couldn't probe Clark's mind for wahtever reason.

Last edited by RocShemp; 11-19-13 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-20-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im alittle late to the game and there are a ton of posts here but again

why was the tornado scene dumb?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.