Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread
2.78%
1.39%
27.78%
38.89%
12.50%
5.56%
2.78%
1.39%
2.78%
0%
1.39%
World War Zzzzzz...
2.78%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts
Re: World War Z (Forster, 2013) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Jules Winfield
I know everyone is not me. I was using hyperbole to express how disinterested I am in this movie. It's just a thing Internet people do. As a big big zombie fan, it fills me with dread. PG-13 zombie movie? Not for me. Horrible looking CGI zombies(judging from the trailers)? I'm just shrugging at the whole thing. Can it prove me wrong? Definitely but where I'm coming from, it's got major hurdles to overcome. I'm not gonna sue you but I will hold you accountable if I see this movie and hate it.
Suck it up and catch a matinee. There's some good shit in there.
Old 06-21-13, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No zombie cat....FAIL!!!!

Got back a little while ago. OK movie. Pretty inventive way to not be eaten by the zombies. I listed to the audiobook last year. It was good they rewote it for the movie. Book wouldn't have worked as a movie. Might work as a TV series with episodes being different chapters. I don't remember how they won in the book. Just seemed to say they won but didn't say how.

It was pretty stupid that Isreal didn't have guards watching the walls that could have seen the zombies making the pile. You'd think that the one thing keeping your society alive would be watched better. Also would have designed it better since the Zombies were using specific parts to climb which should have not been there. Put those parts in side. I also would have put a tilt on the upper part going out so the zobmies would have had to defy gravity to get over it.
Old 06-21-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll be starting the novel today.
Old 06-21-13, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2 1/2 stars. I mostly loathed it.

Pitt runs around from place to place, finding out just what he needs to know in just the nick of time, all the while he's mentally piecing together clues that he sees in slo-mo while also running away from "zombies". It's a giant game of connect-the-dots, and once he does the end result is mind-numbingly stupid. I should've known any ending written by Lindelof would be. All the action is shot in such a frenzied way that you can never tell what's going on. The only aspect of the film I somewhat enjoyed was the score. It's proof positive that zombie/infected/whatever films work best on a smaller budget, because when a big major throws big dollars into making one it becomes a gargantuan, conventional, hackneyed, forgettable film.
Old 06-21-13, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
2 1/2 stars. I mostly loathed it.

Pitt runs around from place to place, finding out just what he needs to know in just the nick of time, all the while he's mentally piecing together clues that he sees in slo-mo while also running away from "zombies". It's a giant game of connect-the-dots, and once he does the end result is mind-numbingly stupid. I should've known any ending written by Lindelof would be. All the action is shot in such a frenzied way that you can never tell what's going on. The only aspect of the film I somewhat enjoyed was the score. It's proof positive that zombie/infected/whatever films work best on a smaller budget, because when a big major throws big dollars into making one it becomes a gargantuan, conventional, hackneyed, forgettable film.
I disagree about the action. It's "frenzied" to a certain extent but you were ALWAYS able to tell what was going on. Always. The action scenes in WWZ were directed much better than Quantam of Solace.

This is hardly proof that big budget zombies don't work. If memory serves me correctly it's the ONLY big budgeted zombie film ever made. The hype machine is what killed it early on even before we got to the reshoots.

Damn people can't get off of the book's jock.
Old 06-21-13, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, sure, you can tell what's going on if it's a master or wide shot, but get even a little close and everything is just cut cut cut cut. Granted, there weren't a lot of scenes like that, but the stairwell attack and the plane attack were absolutely shot like that.

Maybe this isn't proof that a big-budget zombie film can't work, but the end result is certainly diluted a great deal from what horror fans expect. No blood, all cutaway shots, very few closeups showcasing quality zombie makeup. Once you get a major studio involved with a lot of money on the line, all of a sudden horror movies lose their edge and blood seems to disappear.

Pitt's family unit was annoying, too. They looked and felt just like a manufactured film family. And I still don't buy him being married to that chick. The bald Israeli soldier was hotter. He should've traded up.

Last edited by islandclaws; 06-21-13 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-21-13, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, sure, you can tell what's going on if it's a master or wide shot, but get even a little close and everything is just cut cut cut cut. Granted, there weren't a lot of scenes like that, but the stairwell attack and the plane attack were absolutely shot like that.

Maybe this isn't proof that a big-budget zombie film can't work, but the end result is certainly diluted a great deal from what horror fans expect. No blood, all cutaway shots, very few closeups showcasing quality zombie makeup. Once you get a major studio involved with a lot of money on the line, all of a sudden horror movies lose their edge and blood seems to disappear.

Pitt's family unit was annoying, too. They looked and felt just like a manufactured film family. And I still don't buy him being married to that chick. The bald Israeli soldier was hotter. He should've traded up.

Yeah, I don't call this a "horror" film per se. I've been saying it's a damn good action film.

I do like the chick he was married to, because she's a redhead. I'm selfish that way.

I am glad that once the scenes of zombie mayhem calmed down we weren't treated to full on zombie creations like the lame vampires I Am Legend. That was my worst fear, because originally those vamps were supposed to be created with make-up spfx and ended up being cgi creations, which pissed me off. Not so with WWZ.

And the last quarter of the film had TONS of close-ups.
Old 06-21-13, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw this today. I liked it. Script was a bit weak but it had some good stuff in there. I do think an R rating could have pushed it better. Pitt was good in it. I do feel like there was a longer cut. Certain bits felt a bit short. Really loved the look of Israel it brought a jolt of life in the film. Cut too short though.

I'd give it a B at the most. A B- at the least.

@whysoblu?

Did you ever see what the vamps originally looked like in IAL? The cgi ones were better. Weren't great but was better than what they had before.
Old 06-21-13, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,854 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?

I do like the chick he was married to, because she's a redhead. I'm selfish that way.

That's the chick who played Twin Sister Wives on Big Love.

Old 06-21-13, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Saw this today. I liked it. Script was a bit weak but it had some good stuff in there. I do think an R rating could have pushed it better. Pitt was good in it. I do feel like there was a longer cut. Certain bits felt a bit short. Really loved the look of Israel it brought a jolt of life in the film. Cut too short though.

I'd give it a B at the most. A B- at the least.

@whysoblu?

Did you ever see what the vamps originally looked like in IAL? The cgi ones were better. Weren't great but was better than what they had before.
I saw some early make-up tests, because the dude that did the FX for 300 was supposedly going to be the supervisor for IAL until they decided to cgi the fuck out out of it. I think it stung a bit more, because IAL is one of my favorite novels of all time. In the book they're almost reptilian, which is what Ridley Scott was going to do with Arnold, if that project hadn't failed to start. It's ironic that they spent almost 200 million on the Will Smith version, when Ridley wanted not even 100 million to do his version and he was denied by the studio. This was like in '98-'99.

I do hope the Blu-ray of WWZ has tons of alternate footage, alternate cut, or the original ending.
Old 06-21-13, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
That's the chick who played Twin Sister Wives on Big Love.

Never seen one episode of that show. I've only seen the first season of The Killing. They cleaned her up a bit for WWZ, though.
Old 06-21-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,259 Likes on 2,096 Posts

^ I would love to see the original ending on the Blu-ray.
Old 06-21-13, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

I thought it was entertaining and yeah, it could've been better.

I like the screen in Korea.

I wanted zombie cat too... lol
Old 06-21-13, 07:36 PM
Banned

I really want to see what that original ending was as well. Was there any word as to its content?
Old 06-21-13, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently, right after Pitt leaves Israel he goes to Russia where there's a major battle comprising the final 40 minutes or so of the film. That couldn't have been cheap to scrap.
Old 06-21-13, 08:33 PM
Banned

Hrmm. I wonder if we got a glimpse of that in the film. In a montage of humanity winning we do see mention of a battle in Moscow.

Again I really loved the Israel bit. Liked how they showed the female soldiers and a good amount of them. Something I don't think many US people know about how military is formed over there. I would love to see an extended cut of the film. I think it'd add much needed layers to what was paced well but still looked truncated in visual and in running time for the locations Lane goes into.
Old 06-21-13, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to see it with a friend. We expected it could be bad. So, minimum expectations. And I have rated the film here "1 Star."

Awful movie. Biblically.

How much to say? I'll list a few.

Good:
Brad Pitt.
His wife. For the little she gets to do.
A few of the massive CGI moments. Which are almost all in the trailer.
A few of Pitt's moments. His character is very smart.
The word "Zeke" for zombies. Genius. I play a lot of COD Zombies. They are now Zeke's(Z).

Bad:
Everything else.
The beginning is acceptable. The middle is bad and lost. The entire ending is just awful.
The movie does not ever seem to come close to TWD for any Z kills. Not kidding at all other than a few early ones.
The previously mentioned "The Cloverfield Monster handicam shots" for Z attacks. Awful. So you don't know how to shoot a Z kill?
A story that begs the question of whether the person / people responsible like Z movies?
A confused and awful story. No sense to it. Badly constructed.
Characters come and go. Some seem possibly interesting. And they are gone in minutes. So the writer's hate characters. Interesting. And stupid.
The attack on Jerusalem has to be seen to be believed. On a Fawlty Towers level of stupid. I doubt this film is anti-Semetic as it is obviously just anti-sense.

This film reaches "Legion" levels of stupid. I'd suggest seeing it as cheaply as possible to laugh at it after. As I hate the original, I do not wish for a sequel. But they appear to hope to get one. For whoever finally put this together I offer pity. There is some other agenda here. Like someone wanted to final product to be an utter mess. And it is.
Old 06-21-13, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually enjoyed it. Just not as World War Z. It's the same problem I had with I Am Legend. They take one of my favorite books and do a shit job, which diminishes my chances of ever seeing a faithful adaptation.
Old 06-21-13, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Apparently, right after Pitt leaves Israel he goes to Russia where there's a major battle comprising the final 40 minutes or so of the film. That couldn't have been cheap to scrap.
It's not Russia. It's Wales. Cardiff.
Old 06-21-13, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
It's not Russia. It's Wales. Cardiff.
It was Russia. That was cut, as he said. At least that's my understanding as well.

Edit: yep.

But the main issue, Pitt says was a flawed original ending — a bloody battle set in Russia that just didn’t work.
http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1378980#bmb=1
Old 06-21-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
It was Russia. That was cut, as he said. At least that's my understanding as well.

Edit: yep.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1378980#bmb=1
Ah, I misread that. I thought you were talking about the ending that was actually used. Yes, the scrapped ending was in Russia.

This ending that wrapped up the film was set in Wales/Cardiff and finally wraps up in the Nova Scotia camp before montaging the rest of the ending.
Old 06-21-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Almost forgot, I just loved how the movie used flashbacks of scenes that JUST HAPPENED to remind viewers what "crumbs from Mother Nature" Pitt needed to remember. Felt like a Saw movie for a moment.
Old 06-21-13, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost forgot, I just loved how the movie used flashbacks of scenes that JUST HAPPENED to remind viewers what "crumbs from Mother Nature" Pitt needed to remember. Felt like a Saw movie for a moment.
Old 06-21-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They said Russia a few times in the trailer. But in the movie, they said India. What is strange is they didn't get to India, so they could have left the word Russia in since it doesn't really matter since they don't get there.
Old 06-22-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by resinrats
They said Russia a few times in the trailer. But in the movie, they said India. What is strange is they didn't get to India, so they could have left the word Russia in since it doesn't really matter since they don't get there.
They did show clips of both countries on fire here and there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.