Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, McFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

I think they need to release two versions of this movie. A rated R cut for most of the country, and then an NC-17 version (if it's raunchy enough to merit the rating) to play as the late feature in select markets.
Old 01-31-14, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, McFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I know some people have mentioned getting tired of McFarlane's humor, but lately I'm feeling that way about Silverman.
I've honestly never found Silverman funny. She seems like she tries way too hard and I rarely get a genuine laugh from her. This film looks kind of iffy to me. I'll probably see it as I don't mind some of MacFarlane's work but it seems like it could use a bit of fine tuning. Maybe that will happen before the final release of the film though.
Old 05-04-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

So I saw a new trailer for this in front of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. There's one bit in here that sold me on seeing the film (even though I probably would have seen it anyways). I'll put it in spoiler tags in case people want to be surprised.

Spoiler:
There's a scene with Christopher Lloyd reprising his role as Doc Brown and he's in what appears to be a barn similar to the one his lab was in from Back to the Future Part III. He has the DeLorean and quickly covers it with a sheet right as someone is about to walk in just like he and Marty did when Clara unexpectedly shows up. Not sure how large of a cameo it is but I'm pretty stoked about seeing the film now just for that.
Old 05-04-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
So I saw a new trailer for this in front of The Amazing Spider-Man 2. There's one bit in here that sold me on seeing the film (even though I probably would have seen it anyways). I'll put it in spoiler tags in case people want to be surprised.

Spoiler:
There's a scene with Christopher Lloyd reprising his role as Doc Brown and he's in what appears to be a barn similar to the one his lab was in from Back to the Future Part III. He has the DeLorean and quickly covers it with a sheet right as someone is about to walk in just like he and Marty did when Clara unexpectedly shows up. Not sure how large of a cameo it is but I'm pretty stoked about seeing the film now just for that.
That's interesting, since McFarlane has stated in interviews that he didn't want any jokes that played off of modern-day references.
Old 05-04-14, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike86

Spoiler:
That's bullshit that Universal put that in a trailer as that's one of the film's best gags. The scene lasts no longer than a minute, but it's still funny nonetheless.
Old 05-05-14, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Neeson poser made me laugh what with the legend of him carrying an Evian bottle around with him everywhere he goes.
Old 05-05-14, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Movie looks funny to me still, I'm kind of surprised by the ad they keep airing on Hulu though (with the shadow fellatio).
Old 05-05-14, 06:09 PM
Suspended

Universal tweeted they're giving away free advance tix to the movie in select cities, here's the link. Act quick.

http://www.universalscreenings.com/?...xfSRgcf18tTh91
Old 05-05-14, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Universal tweeted they're giving away free advance tix to the movie in select cities, here's the link. Act quick.

http://www.universalscreenings.com/?...xfSRgcf18tTh91
Sold out
Old 05-05-14, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
I wish Seth Mcfarlane would stick to his repetitive dead animated sitcom and stop porting over a bunch of cutting room floor fodder from that show into live action movies.

I mean really, are people really clamoring for "Peter Griffin does Blazing Saddles?"

Ted was 60% crappy Family Guy material and 40% clips from Flash Gordon.
I'm sure there's a lot more money to be made from feature films than from what he does on TV. Moreover, he can do R-rated stuff, and lets face it, that's the one thing missing from his TV work, it just isn't vulgar enough!

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
McFarlane seems to be trying serious stuff in non-serious environments lately (Brian dying on Family Guy, end of Ted) and it doesn't really work. He just needs to do straight comedy.
A random string of gags can only get a movie so far, I think he's at least trying to tell some semblance of an actual narrative.

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Anyway, I made some really angry and outrageous comments about Relativity films in general. The straw that broke the camel's back was Skyline.
In the theater or in print? Because seriously, if they press-screen a movie and then they're made that it get bad reviews, that's kind of stupid.

I'm not/never was. I know people.

Yes. The joke works because the film is "self aware" [*]The film is too self-aware. MacFarlane's mannerisms feel totally out of place in late-1800s Arizona. On the plus side, the film is mostly devoid of MacFarlane's non-stop pop culture references. There are a few, but one is so goddamn great I am not going to spoil it as it got the biggest laugh of the film. The callbacks to MacFarlane's past outings work well too.
That's literally so postmodern that my head hurts.

There's really not a lot of cursing in the film, but Silverman goes into depth about various sex acts.
So basically I could just stay home and thumb through a Judith Krantz novel ?

Originally Posted by Groucho
There are only two types of movies: trash and masterpieces! There is no middle ground! All comedies are of equal quality!
This is the Internet man. You have to speak in hyperbole or no one understands you.

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah, where's that contingent of people who usually say "At least we're getting a new Western"?
They're saying "Oh, it's a Seth McFarlane movie?"

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
That's interesting, since McFarlane has stated in interviews that he didn't want any jokes that played off of modern-day references.
I really don't think that he's physically capable of doing that.
Old 05-05-14, 11:20 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Well, that's up to the manatees isn't it.
Old 05-07-14, 01:41 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QG4rSUpB8RA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 05-07-14, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The tooth fairy/horse shit joke alongside the shadows during the duel weren't in the edit I saw.
Old 05-07-14, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QG4rSUpB8RA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
That was awesome.

Old 05-08-14, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Holy shit. That new red band trailer is awesome. Hopefully, they're showing that in front of movies in the theater.

Can't wait to see this.
Old 05-08-14, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Old 05-08-14, 03:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Yaaa looks ok

Really wish McFarlane wasn't the lead
Old 05-08-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

The shadow fellatio joke at the end of that one is what I keep seeing on the Hulu ads, seemed so odd seeing that
Old 05-08-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I did not laugh once during that trailer. Seth McFarlane is like nails on a chalk board to me. He is his own biggest fan and seems to feel he is the funniest man to have ever lived. Ted was more of the same with the only decent thing being Sam Jones making an appearance.

Will be giving this movie a big miss and might check it out in the future if it ever plays on TV or on a plane and i have nothing else better to do.
Old 05-08-14, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"Someone is gonna get fuuuuuuuucked up!"

The ice falling on the dude's face is hilarious as is the horse shit scene and the body being dragged off by coyotes.

Old 05-08-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by james2025a
I did not laugh once during that trailer. Seth McFarlane is like nails on a chalk board to me. He is his own biggest fan and seems to feel he is the funniest man to have ever lived. Ted was more of the same with the only decent thing being Sam Jones making an appearance.

Will be giving this movie a big miss and might check it out in the future if it ever plays on TV or on a plane and i have nothing else better to do.
Well, good for you.
Old 05-08-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Big time 'eh' for me. Some funny bits I guess. I'm not big on McFarlane as the star. I'll probably wait till I can watch it at home.
Old 05-08-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The red band trailer looks amusing, but with so many other movies I'd rather watch right around this comes out this is probably something I watch when it hits streaming or red box.
Old 05-08-14, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't a movie I am seeing in the theater this summer but I'll certainly by it the moment it comes to blu-ray. I'm over Family Guy and Ted is something I never need to see again but this film looks like something I will really love.
Old 05-08-14, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I will be seeing this in theaters and I usually never see fucking comedies at the show. I will also be getting fuuuuuucked up beforehand.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.