Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-14, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Far from a spoiler, since every TV ad has this scene. Which is lame, because people will go to the film thinking that actor has a big role instead of just a cameo.
Probably exactly what the marketing team wants.
Old 05-29-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, McFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

He looks like this guy (whom everybody knows):

It's Enrico Palazzo!
Old 05-30-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, McFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Yeah I thought this was okay. I agree with my friend who said it took itself way too seriously.
Old 05-30-14, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Saw this last night at 10:30 and there were maybe 6 other people in the theater. Not great, but not bad, I liked it.
Old 05-30-14, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is really a film for Family Guy fans. It really feels like a live-action, extended episode of that show. It doesn't have as much heart as Ted, but that doesn't mean it's completely devoid of sentiment. 3.5 out of 5 in my books.

Here's a snippet from my full review:

MacFarlane is completely within his element here, as the film's overall tone caters perfectly to Family Guy's loyal fan base. And if you're appreciative of his trademark schtick, then you'll find enough nuggets of comedy gold nestled within the film's nearly two-hour runtime to fill Fort Knox. MacFarlane and co-writers Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild keep the jokes flying fast and furious — running the gamut from bodily function gags to sexual innuendo — so if any one of them falls shy of its mark, chances are there's another right around the corner that won't. And, of course, there's a flagrant disregard for historical accuracy on display, as well as a spirited (moustache-themed) musical number and a handful of irreverent and crowd-pleasing cameos (and film crossovers) thrown in for good measure.
Old 05-30-14, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There were some funny bits but meh. Some of the humor is along my lines of funny but the way it is done is just mediocre. I like where it kind of went but it never solidified it's script.

I'd probably give a 3 out of 5. I was mostly bored. But I chuckled a bit.
Old 05-30-14, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

He looks like this guy (whom everybody knows):

Who the fuck is that?
Old 05-30-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Not a fan of the Brady Bunch, eh?
Old 05-30-14, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Not a fan of the Brady Bunch, eh?
I haven't watched that show in years and had no clue what Peter looked like when finally grown up.
Old 05-30-14, 02:42 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Christopher Knight's ex wife was some super model that was ridiculously hot. They had a reality show for a while.
Old 05-30-14, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
Christopher Knight's ex wife was some super model that was ridiculously hot. They had a reality show for a while.
I tend to ignore reality TV so I'm not surprised I'm unaware of his show or his wife.
Old 05-30-14, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PenguinJoe
There's one really awkward joke that ended up having a pretty funny and unexpected cameo.
Spoiler:
Jamie Foxx as Django
shows up.
I guess I am seeing this again since that wasn't in the cut I saw.
Old 05-30-14, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I tend to ignore reality TV so I'm not surprised I'm unaware of his show or his wife.
Google images of Adrianne Curry and get caught up Photos are PG-13 so be aware of who's around.
Old 05-30-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Neeson and Theron seem game, Harris and Seyfried are underused -- not sure why you just wouldn't give Harris the big musical number, instead of just do-si-do-ing it -- and Silverman and Risbi are just around for one extended joke.

I knew what I was getting into going in, Family Guy bits on the big screen, but I really wish MacFarlene would have taken a chance -- well, any chance out of his comfort zone -- and cast someone else as the lead. It ends up being Brian Griffen in the Old West and he's not as strong as a screen presence as he thinks he is.

A few laughs here and there, and not an outright disappointment, but just OK. 2 1/2 Stars out of 5.

Weak crowd at my afternoon showing as well, I wouldn't be surprised if this underperforms this weekend.
Old 05-30-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Far from a spoiler, since every TV ad has this scene. Which is lame, because people will go to the film thinking that actor has a big role instead of just a cameo.
I had to look this up on Youtube, had not seen that ad at all and I watch a decent amount of tv.
Old 05-30-14, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Google images of Adrianne Curry and get caught up Photos are PG-13 so be aware of who's around.
Lovely lady. Thanks for enlightening me.
Old 05-30-14, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I guess I am seeing this again since that wasn't in the cut I saw.
It's at the very end. (and it was in the premiere showing I went to on the 21st).
Old 05-30-14, 08:30 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Lovely lady. Thanks for enlightening me.
Definitely check out her convention outfits.
Old 05-30-14, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
It's at the very end. (and it was in the premiere showing I went to on the 21st).
I saw it nearly four months ago.

From reading the plot summary on The Movie Spoiler, the entire Indian drug sequence that kicks the third act into gear has been completely changed alongside the cameo at the end.
Old 05-31-14, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,155 Likes on 901 Posts

It wasn't anything outstanding but I found it pretty entertaining for what it was and thought it had some funny bits. A lot of good cameos throughout. I didn't think MacFarlane did bad for his first big live action role. Theron was great as always and NPH and Seyfried were good but I agree a bit underused. Same goes for Neeson who's really not in the film much at all. I agree it was more like a live action Family Guy but I was okay with that. Overall though I though that Ted was a more fun film from MacFarlane personally. I'd probably give this about a 3.5 out of 5 though.

Spoiler:
I knew it wasn't going to happen but during the part with the train I thought to myself it would have been great if Doc was there again and the train was pushing the DeLorean into the future or something.
Old 05-31-14, 05:19 PM

Received 4,579 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
It wasn't anything outstanding but I found it pretty entertaining for what it was and thought it had some funny bits. A lot of good cameos throughout. I didn't think MacFarlane did bad for his first big live action role. Theron was great as always and NPH and Seyfried were good but I agree a bit underused. Same goes for Neeson who's really not in the film much at all. I agree it was more like a live action Family Guy but I was okay with that. Overall though I though that Ted was a more fun film from MacFarlane personally. I'd probably give this about a 3.5 out of 5 though.

Spoiler:
I knew it wasn't going to happen but during the part with the train I thought to myself it would have been great if Doc was there again and the train was pushing the DeLorean into the future or something.

I thought that same thing about the train.
Old 05-31-14, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
I thought that same thing about the train.
My friend with me said the same thing. Felt like kind of a missed opportunity to me.
Old 05-31-14, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

I liked it. It's not going down as a comedy classic but for a fun way to kill two hours it does it's job well. I actually thought MacFarlane did OK as the lead and wouldn't mind seeing him in another movie. Unfortunately most of the best jokes are shown in the trailer but it kept me laughing consistently.

Overall I'd give it about a 3.5/5. Maybe even a 4/5. I enjoyed it more than Neighbors and if you just want to unwind and have a couple laughs it fits the bill well.
Old 06-01-14, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts
Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Saw this for 50 cents using my Spidey 2 movie cash and still felt ripped off. It has a couple of laugh-out-loud moments, but it's mostly just an uninspired vanity piece for MacFarlane, who gets to cast himself as the lead in a western even though he's completely bland as an actor (and his mismatched eyelash-less eyes are distracting). Would have been better if he had cast Jay Baruchel, who has way more expressiveness and is more adept at playing these type of redeemable losers, though the film still would have tanked regardless.

I did like the jokes about Amanda Seyfried's oversized orbs though.
Old 06-01-14, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen a lot of people complaining about MacFarlane's acting. I guess I don't see what was so bad about it. It's not like he was going to give an award winning performance or anything, but I thought for his first big live action role (actually has he even done any acting live action before this?) I thought he did alright.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.