Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, MacFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

Old 01-31-13, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charlize Theron in Talks to Star in Seth MacFarlane’s Western Comedy A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST

Actor/writer/director Seth MacFarlane is roping in some Oscar-caliber talent for his second directorial feature film. Charlize Theron is in talks to star in the western comedy A Million Ways to Die in the West, which MacFarlane will both direct and star in. The story centers on a farmer whose girlfriend leaves him after he chickens out of a gunfight. “When he meets the wife of a notorious outlaw who offers to teach him how to shoot, the farmer at first sees a chance to win back his love but slowly falls for the woman. Complications ensue when the outlaw returns and reclaims his woman.” Hit the jump for more details.

News of Theron’s casting comes via Heat Vision, who reports that the actress is in final negotiations to star in the film. This sounds like spot-on casting for Theron, who has a wicked sense of humor and has proven herself to be a formidable badass. In addition to starring in and directing the live-action comedy, MacFarlane also co-wrote the script alongside Ted and Family Guy writers Alec Sulkin and Wellesley Wild. He’s currently busy preparing for his Oscar hosting duties in late February, but a May production start date is being eyed for A Million Ways to Die in the West.

Theron most recently wrapped a starring role in George Miller’s long-delayed Mad Max: Fury Road and she’s also set to lead a remake of Park Chan-wook’s Sympathy for Lady Vengeance, which she’s producing. MacFarlane has a sequel to Ted in the works, but it appears that A Million Ways is his current priority.
Old 01-31-13, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: A MILLION WAYS TO DIE IN THE WEST (D: Seth Mcfarlane; S: Charlize Theron)

I hope this movies doesn't consist of a million different clips like a Family Guy episode.
Old 01-31-13, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish Seth Mcfarlane would stick to his repetitive dead animated sitcom and stop porting over a bunch of cutting room floor fodder from that show into live action movies.

I mean really, are people really clamoring for "Peter Griffin does Blazing Saddles?"

Ted was 60% crappy Family Guy material and 40% clips from Flash Gordon.
Old 01-31-13, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like fun.

Westerns are always hard to toy with. Sci-fi westerns and comedy westerns are usually bad.

Other than the possible over-exposed Seth McFarlane overload, I like seeing him do all of this stuff.
Old 01-31-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sounds good to me.
Old 01-31-13, 10:15 AM

I'm sure it's better than the western that Insane Clown Posse did.
Old 01-02-14, 03:05 PM

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 01-02-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a test screening review over at AICN. Said it was funny but added serious romance stuff that might drag it down. Still not a final cut.
Old 01-02-14, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
There was a test screening review over at AICN. Said it was funny but added serious romance stuff that might drag it down. Still not a final cut.
So like the end of Ted with the dumb shit with Ribisi.
Old 01-19-14, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, McFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

I was invited to attend a test screening of the film later this week.

Based upon my past Universal test screenings, I'm now not looking forward to this.
Old 01-19-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: A Million Ways to Die in the West (2014, McFarlane) S: Theron, Seyfried, Harris

McFarlane seems to be trying serious stuff in non-serious environments lately (Brian dying on Family Guy, end of Ted) and it doesn't really work. He just needs to do straight comedy.
Old 01-19-14, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
I was invited to attend a test screening of the film later this week.

Based upon my past Universal test screenings, I'm now not looking forward to this.
If you go, please let us know what you thought of it.
Old 01-19-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
If you go, please let us know what you thought of it.
I'm going only because I'm now responsible for at least ten of my friends going. If I'm not there, none of them are allowed entry.

So expect a report by Thursday night.
Old 01-19-14, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm going only because I'm now responsible for at least ten of my friends going. If I'm not there, none of them are allowed entry.

So expect a report by Thursday night.
Awesome.

And thanks in advance. I'm such a whore for Westerns (even genre mashups and comedies) that I'm hoping for good/great news.
Old 01-19-14, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And thanks in advance. I'm such a whore for Westerns (even genre mashups and comedies) that I'm hoping for good/great news.
I really enjoyed Ted, but my track record for Universal test screenings is not a positive one.

I'm surprised I haven't been banned from them like I have been from Relativity's press screenings.

[In my defense on that one, Relativity's films are all garbage and they don't screen their films for critics until the Thursday before release.]
Old 01-19-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Geeze. How bad can it be? Do you get drunk and wave your dong around in the theater?
Old 01-19-14, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, how do you get banned from test screenings?
Old 01-19-14, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, how do you get banned from test screenings?
Press screenings, not test screenings. Different entities completely. Test screenings are always an assembly cut with people from the studio or involved with the production (director, producers, stars, etc.) actually in attendance, 90-95% of the audience in attendance were randomly selected, and everyone has to stick around to fill out the equivalent of a college multiple-choice exam and essay of what they thought of the movie. I can't recall seeing any good movie, let it be from Universal or otherwise, at a test screening.

Press screenings are always the final cut of the film (unless under special circumstances as in the film is not ready), all of the press in that selected city (i.e. film critics, media outlets, etc) have been invited and are treated like kings whereas everyone else has been given free passes from various other outlets (i.e. radio giveaways, online websites, etc).

Since the invention of MoviePass (I know, I know), I've stopped attending press and test screenings as now that I'm married, I don't have time to adjust my schedule to see a movie at a specific day and time.

Anyway, I made some really angry and outrageous comments about Relativity films in general. The straw that broke the camel's back was Skyline.
Old 01-19-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Press screenings, not test screenings. Different entities completely. Test screenings are always an assembly cut with people from the studio or involved with the production (director, producers, stars, etc.) actually in attendance, 90-95% of the audience in attendance were randomly selected, and everyone has to stick around to fill out the equivalent of a college multiple-choice exam and essay of what they thought of the movie. I can't recall seeing any good movie, let it be from Universal or otherwise, at a test screening.

Press screenings are always the final cut of the film (unless under special circumstances as in the film is not ready), all of the press in that selected city (i.e. film critics, media outlets, etc) have been invited and are treated like kings whereas everyone else has been given free passes from various other outlets (i.e. radio giveaways, online websites, etc).

Since the invention of MoviePass (I know, I know), I've stopped attending press and test screenings as now that I'm married, I don't have time to adjust my schedule to see a movie at a specific day and time.

Anyway, I made some really angry and outrageous comments about Relativity films in general. The straw that broke the camel's back was Skyline.
I knew the difference between a test and press screening but mistakenly assumed you were banned from the former. Never knew you were/are a critic.
Old 01-19-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I knew the difference between a test and press screening but mistakenly assumed you were banned from the former. Never knew you were/are a critic.
I'm not/never was. I know people.
Old 01-19-14, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Press screenings are fun and all, except like you said, the best seats are reserved for the critics, and everyone else is left to the front or back of the house. But sometimes not all of them attend so you can just sit in their section.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the test screening.
Old 01-20-14, 09:37 AM
Banned

Details, motherfucker.
Old 01-20-14, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Press screenings are fun and all, except like you said, the best seats are reserved for the critics, and everyone else is left to the front or back of the house. But sometimes not all of them attend so you can just sit in their section.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the test screening.
However, it's great being alone in the reserved seating and others are getting all pissed that they can't sit in your area and either have to sit in the nosebleeds or in the front. I've been to a few screenings where they never opened up the reserved seats either due to a low turnout or pure laziness.

Even then, you still have to arrive 30 minutes before to check-in and all of that bullshit. I just prefer being able to go to the movies whenever. It doesn't matter if I get to see it weeks prior to everyone else.

It'll be interesting to see what people are brought into this test screening. I've been told that nobody over the age of 40 will be allowed. When I took my wife to see Ted (I already had seen it previously due to a press screening), we ended up seeing it in North Las Vegas... where a majority of the population is African American or Hispanic. They did not appreciate the film's racial humor. I wonder if MacFarlane will tone it down or crank it up now with his recent film success.
Old 01-23-14, 09:46 PM

Old 01-23-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

However, it's great being alone in the reserved seating and others are getting all pissed that they can't sit in your area and either have to sit in the nosebleeds or in the front. I've been to a few screenings where they never opened up the reserved seats either due to a low turnout or pure laziness.

Even then, you still have to arrive 30 minutes before to check-in and all of that bullshit. I just prefer being able to go to the movies whenever. It doesn't matter if I get to see it weeks prior to everyone else.

It'll be interesting to see what people are brought into this test screening. I've been told that nobody over the age of 40 will be allowed. When I took my wife to see Ted (I already had seen it previously due to a press screening), we ended up seeing it in North Las Vegas... where a majority of the population is African American or Hispanic. They did not appreciate the film's racial humor. I wonder if MacFarlane will tone it down or crank it up now with his recent film success.
Yeah the 30 minutes early thing is annoying (and in the D.C. area, it's about 1 hour for acceptable seats), but another thing I forgot is that you have to check your cell phone at the door. I actually really like that, since you know that nobody has one and nobody will interrupt the show. Although somebody did throw up during Lincoln, but that was nowhere near where I was.

As for the movie's humor, someone in a test screening said that:

Spoiler:
There was some gag with a carnival game involving slaves, and that some audience members groaned or were pissed, something like that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.