Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you eat at theater?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Do you eat at the theater?
Yes, I always stop at the concession stand
32.88%
Yes, I go to theaters that serve meals
5.48%
Yes, I sneak in food
27.40%
No, never
26.03%
Only a drink
8.22%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Do you eat at theater?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-13, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts
Re: Do you eat at theater?

Originally Posted by BambooLounge
Ritualistic eating habits are a thing. People eat during sporting events, snack at the movies, etc. For some it is part of the "experience" of going out to the movies. It is really no different from random food-event connections such as tailgating before a football game (something I still don't get having not attended a big sports college).
I did attend a big sports college, and am still a football season ticket holder, and I still don't get tailgating. Probably because I'm not much of a drinker. A lot of people do it to get their buzz on before going into the stadium, since you can't buy alcohol inside.
Old 01-13-13, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
No, never.

My parents taught me that it's a movie theater, not a restaurant.

Put another way, let's say you're at work from 8-5. Most people would easily have two 4-hour stretches without eating (8-12 and 1-5) and think nothing of it, but then they act like they'll die of malnutrition in a theater if they go 2 hours without food. Doesn't make sense.
What is this I don't even
Old 01-13-13, 08:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I regularly buy something at the consession stand, unless I've just eaten prior.

Our thing now is buying popcorn and peanut M&Ms and then pouring them into the popcorn. Dee-lish.

My other movie fave is Dots. There should be a law requiring all theaters to carry them. As that is not the case, it's the one item that I will sneak in from time to time.
Old 01-13-13, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is super rare that I eat something in the theater. If I do, I sneak it in. The only time I've paid for popcorn is about 10 years ago when the theater was selling small bags for $1. Most recent was me sneaking a soda in during Hobbit.
Old 01-13-13, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, never.

My parents taught me that it's a movie theater, not a restaurant.

Put another way, let's say you're at work from 8-5. Most people would easily have two 4-hour stretches without eating (8-12 and 1-5) and think nothing of it, but then they act like they'll die of malnutrition in a theater if they go 2 hours without food. Doesn't make sense.
what a load of horse shit

and your parents were absolutely right about everything all of the time

Do you ever think for yourself, or are you such an absolutist that your opinion about anything never changes.
Old 01-13-13, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I did attend a big sports college, and am still a football season ticket holder, and I still don't get tailgating. Probably because I'm not much of a drinker. A lot of people do it to get their buzz on before going into the stadium, since you can't buy alcohol inside.
What I don't understand is the people who tailgate before PRO games. Why sit outside, most likely in the cold, and drink beer, when you could just as easily sit at home before the game and drink beer or go to a bar before the game and drink beer? Plus you're free to buy all the beer you want during the game.

I guess it's the social aspect but you can experience the same social activities at a bar near the stadium as you can freezing in some parking lot.
Old 01-13-13, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't get you people that sneak food and drink into movies. I thought all you guys were movie fans and enjoy going to the movies. If everybody snuck food and drinks in, there wouldn't be any movie theaters or they'd be God awful dumps that still charged $25 per ticket. Would you sneak a Budweiser into a bowling alley?
Old 01-13-13, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

A big tub of popcorn with loads of butter and a soda are must haves when I go to the movie. It's all part of the experience for me, and I won't have it any other way.
Old 01-13-13, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I don't get you people that sneak food and drink into movies. I thought all you guys were movie fans and enjoy going to the movies. If everybody snuck food and drinks in, there wouldn't be any movie theaters or they'd be God awful dumps that still charged $25 per ticket. Would you sneak a Budweiser into a bowling alley?
Maybe if the prices more were reasonable i would go to the concession stand. The prices they have currently are horribly overpriced. I always say if you make it more affordable, a lot more people would not sneak food and drink in!
Old 01-13-13, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
Maybe if the prices more were reasonable i would go to the concession stand. The prices they have currently are horribly overpriced. I always say if you make it more affordable, a lot more people would not sneak food and drink in!
Well I know how much bag in a box soda costs and it's pennies per cup. A large soda, including product, cup, lid and straw probably costs less than 50 cents so the profit margin is huge. But since most theaters seem to have similar prices there must be a business reason for it. Movie theaters are large and very expensive buildings, both to construct and operate. They have to make their money somehow.
Old 01-13-13, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Well I know how much bag in a box soda costs and it's pennies per cup. A large soda, including product, cup, lid and straw probably costs less than 50 cents so the profit margin is huge. But since most theaters seem to have similar prices there must be a business reason for it. Movie theaters are large and very expensive buildings, both to construct and operate. They have to make their money somehow.
By slashing prices you would get more people getting food and drink from the theater. Increase of people along with the regular customers you may even make more profit.
Old 01-13-13, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
By slashing prices you would get more people getting food and drink from the theater. Increase of people along with the regular customers you may even make more profit.
Doesn't always work like that. There's a break even point where anything below price x the business will lose money on every sale. There's much more than just the cost of product that goes into deciding how much to charge for something. Like I said, since the vast majority of theaters charge a lot for concessions it's obviously not as simple as just charging less than the nearest competitor.
Old 01-13-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Chef
what a load of horse shit

and your parents were absolutely right about everything all of the time

Do you ever think for yourself, or are you such an absolutist that your opinion about anything never changes.
It's not about obeying my parents at this point; it's about having grown up that way, I don't even associate movies to food even today. Those worlds never mixed.

And WTF is with your attitude? This is a simple discussion.
Old 01-13-13, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll pick up a soda, but I rarely get popcorn unless I get a Regal Rewards free popcorn or an AMC Stubs rewards. Getting a soda though depends on the concession line. The last few times I've been to a theater, I ended up giving up on getting anything because the lines were ridiculously long and slow. I wish when it was busy that they'd have an express line for one or two items or less. It pisses me off to stand in a line and listen in to the people in front of me as they're not sure what they want when they reach the cashier.
Old 01-13-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

What I don't understand is the people who tailgate before PRO games.
Besides the social aspect...

Economics: you bring your own beer to the parking lot and you can bring a whole case for the cost of 3-4 of the same beer in a bar.

Logistics: get the driving done before you start drinking.
Old 01-13-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Roybq
I'll pick up a soda, but I rarely get popcorn unless I get a Regal Rewards free popcorn or an AMC Stubs rewards. Getting a soda though depends on the concession line. The last few times I've been to a theater, I ended up giving up on getting anything because the lines were ridiculously long and slow. I wish when it was busy that they'd have an express line for one or two items or less. It pisses me off to stand in a line and listen in to the people in front of me as they're not sure what they want when they reach the cashier.
Off topic a bit but I deal with this almost everytime I go to a fast food place. I mean really...you don't know what you want at McDonalds or Taco Bell? You really need to study the board? Every time I end up behind one of these idiots I ask myself "Why me? Why do I always end up behind an idiot?" Then I remember that the average person is simply stupid so by law of averages, whoever is in front of me is going to be a moron that doesn't know what they want by the time it's their turn to order even though they've probably ordered from the same place a hundred times in the past. I've never had a problem ordering fast food before so why these dolts run into problems baffles me.
Old 01-13-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Besides the social aspect...

Economics: you bring your own beer to the parking lot and you can bring a whole case for the cost of 3-4 of the same beer in a bar.

Logistics: get the driving done before you start drinking.
Yeah I understand that but considering the cost of an NFL ticket and the parking pass and merchandise that people buy, most people that go to NFL games aren't exactly on welfare. You've already spent a boatload of cash...is it really worth it to save another $20 on beer?
Old 01-13-13, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Doesn't always work like that. There's a break even point where anything below price x the business will lose money on every sale. There's much more than just the cost of product that goes into deciding how much to charge for something. Like I said, since the vast majority of theaters charge a lot for concessions it's obviously not as simple as just charging less than the nearest competitor.
The concession stands at the theaters I go to always seem fairly busy, even with the high prices. It would certainly be curious how many more people would actually decide to buy food or drinks if everything was $2-3 cheaper and if it that was actually enough of a deterrent on people buying concessions. That and whatever cost it would be to higher more employees to handle any increase in concession lines. Obviously cheaper would be better for me, but since I also recall hearing how little theaters make on actual ticket sales as well, i'm not surprised. I don't see it much different from the higher costs people pay for a beer at a bar versus at home.

Off topic a bit but I deal with this almost everytime I go to a fast food place. I mean really...you don't know what you want at McDonalds or Taco Bell? You really need to study the board? Every time I end up behind one of these idiots I ask myself "Why me? Why do I always end up behind an idiot?" Then I remember that the average person is simply stupid so by law of averages, whoever is in front of me is going to be a moron that doesn't know what they want by the time it's their turn to order even though they've probably ordered from the same place a hundred times in the past. I've never had a problem ordering fast food before so why these dolts run into problems baffles me.
On this point, while 90% of the time I go specifically knowing what I want, I can see why others might look and see if there's any specials going on, a new product that they might want to try, or maybe there's 3 or 4 people in the car that all have to decide and order. I think for a lot of people swinging through the drive thru might just be a quick impulse thing so they weren't even thinking about what they wanted. Calling it stupidity is unnecessarily harsh.

That said, I think if you're ordering for 4+ people or spending $40+ worth of food, you shouldn't go through the drive thru and make everyone wait for your big order
Old 01-14-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No, I don't eat at the movie theater. But I did something to eat at the movie theater I was little.
Old 01-14-13, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
On this point, while 90% of the time I go specifically knowing what I want, I can see why others might look and see if there's any specials going on, a new product that they might want to try, or maybe there's 3 or 4 people in the car that all have to decide and order. I think for a lot of people swinging through the drive thru might just be a quick impulse thing so they weren't even thinking about what they wanted. Calling it stupidity is unnecessarily harsh.

That said, I think if you're ordering for 4+ people or spending $40+ worth of food, you shouldn't go through the drive thru and make everyone wait for your big order
I've always been of the opinion that if it takes you longer than 30 seconds to order at the drive-thru, you should go inside.
Old 01-14-13, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
The concession stands at the theaters I go to always seem fairly busy, even with the high prices. It would certainly be curious how many more people would actually decide to buy food or drinks if everything was $2-3 cheaper and if it that was actually enough of a deterrent on people buying concessions. That and whatever cost it would be to higher more employees to handle any increase in concession lines. Obviously cheaper would be better for me, but since I also recall hearing how little theaters make on actual ticket sales as well, i'm not surprised. I don't see it much different from the higher costs people pay for a beer at a bar versus at home.

Agreed. Frankly, I don't really care about wait times at fast food places b/c (a) I rarely go to fast food places and (b) I'm never in that dire need of a Chalupa that waiting an extra minute to get it will drive me insane.

Maybe if you are accustomed to eating fast food, it can become "not fast enough" for you, but I've never found myself waiting too long even when there have been lines at the drive thru.
Old 01-14-13, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I love to have a hotdog (only nathans) and drink and it pisses me off when they dont have any up on the grill. I have even ask for the manager and explain to him how much they are losing out money wise for not keeping up those hotdogs. lol

Got me some free tickets for that advise. =)
Old 01-14-13, 09:22 AM

No, I generally don't snack much so there's no real temptation.
Old 01-14-13, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyMovie
No, I don't eat at the movie theater. But I did something to eat at the movie theater I was little.
What?
Old 01-14-13, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I think the percentage of people who sneak food in among an average audience is pretty small. Most people buy their crap at the concession stand. I would buy at the concession stand if they offered some decent food at reasonable prices (yogurt, bagel, fruit, coffee, baked goods, sandwiches, etc.). But most concession stands offer garbage at high prices and with long lines because the management is so poor at these places. You'd think that if a manager would pay enough to hire experienced food service personnel he'd easily make back the extra money he pays out with increased sales. (If you serve more customers more efficiently in the limited time before a movie starts, you'd make more money, right?)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.