Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
21.15%
25.64%
33.33%
10.26%
4.49%
1.28%
0.64%
0.64%
0%
0%
0.64%
DjanNo Unchained
1.92%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-12, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's not KKK. KKK is younger than that.
It was meant to be Tarantino's "origin" story of the KKK.
Old 12-30-12, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
It was meant to be Tarantino's "origin" story of the KKK.
Kind of makes sense, hence the problem with the eye-holes , one that was obviously rectified.

Anyone else notice how QT likes to do some parallels with his own movies?

Spoiler:
In Basterds Watlz's character's lack of sympathy was his downfall, whereas in this one , it was his abundance of sympathy and humanity that caused it.
Among other things as well.
Old 12-30-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

First of all, loved it but I definitely felt the editing was a bit off so I definitely felt the absence of Sally Menke. It made me feel more appreciative towards her contributions to Tarantino's films. And now that I think about its missing the requisite foot fetish shot/dialogue moment and the POV trunk shot. They may be there but I'm having a hard time remembering them. Everyone is fucking aces in this thing. I don't mind the directions it goes
Spoiler:
with Schultz ultimately going with his emotions rather than leaving. I like his decision even though yeah, he ends up fucking things up. It also sets up the rise of Django as a hero of his own. I think the people who would've rather it ended with the deal going great are flat out wrong. After seeing the atrocities that these slaves went through, there has to be some retribution. This isn't only a western but a blaxploitation film and if Django didn't get to stick it to "the man", that would've been dissappointing.

Loved how the blood squirts out in this movie, love the final Auf Weiderzen, actually loved the Tarantino cameo and how he goes out, loved the "klan" scene, loved that James Remar plays two characters, loved everyone basically and there's just a lot of love here. There's definitely something a little off but I still loved the damned thing. Also, liked the sprinkling of names from previous Tarantino movies(Schultz=Paula Schultz from Kill Bill, Koons(A name off one of their bounties, I think)=Captain Koons from Pulp Fiction). I think this fits in somewhere in the middle of Tarantino movies for me. Looking forward to seeing it again.
Old 12-30-12, 01:01 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know why but the name "Tuttle" racks in my mind. Is that from something or just a name he used? Cuz my only connection is Brazil. That name just sticks out cuz it's a weird name to me. Unless it's a connection to Frank Tuttle, the director. And I've no real knowledge on that guy's work but I bit QT does in some form. So maybe they are connected.
Old 12-30-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't think of a Tuttle in previous Tarantino movies but I wouldn't be surprised if he got from the director. I've never heard of Frank Tuttle until today. Gonna have to look him up.
Old 12-30-12, 01:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 12-30-12, 02:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I understand that. I wonder if it really is that or the director?
Old 12-30-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

It's probably the director:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0878338/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
Old 12-30-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loved the film but i was, surprisingly, underwhelmed by Richardson's cinematography. It was completely boring and not in line with his past work.

That lynch mob scene was hilarious. Loved that.
Old 12-30-12, 02:55 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I understand that. I wonder if it really is that or the director?
I just love that screenshot.
Old 12-30-12, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I don't know why but the name "Tuttle" racks in my mind. Is that from something or just a name he used? Cuz my only connection is Brazil. That name just sticks out cuz it's a weird name to me. Unless it's a connection to Frank Tuttle, the director. And I've no real knowledge on that guy's work but I bet QT does in some form. So maybe they are connected.
Frank Tuttle made three great crime movies with Alan Ladd: THIS GUN FOR HIRE (1942), an early noir; LUCKY JORDAN (1942); and HELL ON FRISCO BAY (1955), co-starring Edward G. Robinson and notable for being shot on location in color and widescreen.

But there was a more overt reference to an obscure director in DJANGO UNCHAINED. Dennis Christopher plays DiCaprio's lawyer in the film and his character name is Leonide Moguy, which is the name of a Russian-born director who worked in Italy, France, and briefly in Hollywood. I'm guessing his film, WHISTLE STOP (1946), a not-so-classic noir with Ava Gardner and George Raft, was QT's inspiration for using the name. Here's his IMDB page:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0595804/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1
Old 12-30-12, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Saw this last night and enjoyed the heck out of it. I was actually a little sleepy going into it and it was a 10:10 showing so I brought a mountan dew in with me, but I really don't think I needed it. Great fucking flick.
Old 12-30-12, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Was the role played by Dennis Christopher originally going to be played by Kevin Costner? I seem to recall hearing that his role was split over several characters, so I am guessing it was the lawyer and Walton Goggins' character(I would have liked to have seen more of this one, Goggins is so friggin awesome as an evil redneck).
Old 12-30-12, 05:42 PM
Banned

You'd be incorrect.

Costner was cast as Ace Woody. A mean son of a bitch. Costner dropped out. Russell came in. Then Russell for some damned reason went out. Russel would have been a fucking amazing addition for that role cuz the shit coming out of that fucker would have been like sweet candy from Russell. Russell dropped out...so later that character's shit got merged w/ Goggins' character.

On Goggins' character, I don't think the film makes evidence of it but I feel it does in the sense of it's production. I wonder how much of that guy was cut.
Old 12-30-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
Surprised to see myself giving this the lowest score so far (3/5). There was a lot of good stuff in there, to be sure. But it really went downhill for me when
Spoiler:
Waltz's and DiCaprio's characters died. Besides taking two of the best characters and actors out of the movie too soon, it struck me as a monumentally stupid action by a character which 2+ hours of the movie had been building up as smart. For what he knew, Schultz was essentially signing the death warrant of Django, Hildy, and himself. All because he couldn't swallow his pride for a handshake. After that, all the gore and action just felt hollow to me. I didn't feel the surge of emotion that the best revenge movies elicit. It felt like a filmmaker's indulgence. I knew Schultz shaking Candie's hand and walking out would've been a shit ending. But surely the script could've been written in a different way.
I just saw the film and I read this thread up to your post, wondering if anyone thought the same thing as I did.
Spoiler:
I freaking couldn't believe it. A brilliant guy who had full control over his emotions goes full on stupid. It seemed set up to serve the ending Tarantino wanted rather than to serve the character who had been set up in a certain way. Really pulled the movie down a lot for me. I had already decided the movie was 3/5 before I saw your post and I will vote that way momentarily.

I also thought Schultz's elaborate plan with the Mandingo fighters was silly. I read that Mike Ryan article and I don't buy Tarantino's rationalizations for it. To me it just seems like lazy writing rather than trying to find something that makes sense to set up what you want for the rest of the film. I'm not sure how it could be done, but then I'm not a (usually) brilliant filmmaker.
I did like the KKK scene ... got huge laughs in the theater.
I fully understood what Tarantino was doing with his pre-Klan Klan. I thought the first couple of lines about the issue were hilarious. It was the next ten repetitions that hammered it into the ground. But that's just a quibble.

And the acting was top-notch, especially Waltz.
I agree and I will add Jackson. I thought those were the two best performances in a film filled with great performances.

I think there's a great movie in there. But as is, to call this one the best movies of the year feels like massive overrating.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 12-30-12, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As much as I enjoyed seeing this today I consider this my least favorite QT movie (yes I like Death Proof)

Waltz, Jackson, and DiCaprio were all fantastic
Old 12-30-12, 09:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw it last night. Wow, it was totally different than I thought it was going to be, but in a really good way. I'm not sure where I'd rank it with QT's movies, I need to watch it a few more times, but damn was it awesome. Really looking forward to getting this one on bluray.

What the hell is Tarantino going to do next?
Old 12-30-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronalive
What the hell is Tarantino going to do next?
Retire.
Well, maybe not next, but soon.

Tarantino, who turns 50 in March, reveals that it might be time for him to retire soon. "Who knows what I’ll do? I just don’t want to be an old-man filmmaker," he says. "I want to stop at a certain point. Directors don’t get better as they get older. Usually the worst films in their filmography are those last four at the end. I am all about my filmography, and one bad film f---s up three good ones. I don’t want that bad, out-of-touch comedy in my filmography, the movie that makes people think, 'Oh man, he still thinks it’s 20 years ago.' When directors get out-of-date, it’s not pretty."
Old 12-30-12, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really enjoyed it. It was long, but I was never bored. Waltz was excellent, as was Sam Jackson & Leo. I also laughed at the use of
Spoiler:
2Pac
for the soundtrack.
Old 12-30-12, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

You'd be incorrect.

Costner was cast as Ace Woody. A mean son of a bitch. Costner dropped out. Russell came in. Then Russell for some damned reason went out. Russel would have been a fucking amazing addition for that role cuz the shit coming out of that fucker would have been like sweet candy from Russell. Russell dropped out...so later that character's shit got merged w/ Goggins' character.

On Goggins' character, I don't think the film makes evidence of it but I feel it does in the sense of it's production. I wonder how much of that guy was cut.
Goggins' was pretty much reduced to a glorified cameo. I'm sure there's more to him in that 4-hour cut of the film that QT was talking about. The same with Zoe Bell's "Tracker" character.
Old 12-30-12, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib
I just saw the film and I read this thread up to your post, wondering if anyone thought the same thing as I did.
Spoiler:
I freaking couldn't believe it. A brilliant guy who had full control over his emotions goes full on stupid. It seemed set up to serve the ending Tarantino wanted rather than to serve the character who had been set up in a certain way. Really pulled the movie down a lot for me. I had already decided the movie was 3/5 before I saw your post and I will vote that way momentarily.

I also thought Schultz's elaborate plan with the Mandingo fighters was silly. I read that Mike Ryan article and I don't buy Tarantino's rationalizations for it. To me it just seems like lazy writing rather than trying to find something that makes sense to set up what you want for the rest of the film. I'm not sure how it could be done, but then I'm not a (usually) brilliant filmmaker.
I agree 100% with that spoiler.
Old 12-30-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Kind of makes sense, hence the problem with the eye-holes , one that was obviously rectified.

Anyone else notice how QT likes to do some parallels with his own movies?

Spoiler:
In Basterds Watlz's character's lack of sympathy was his downfall, whereas in this one , it was his abundance of sympathy and humanity that caused it.
Among other things as well.
There was also the talking in another language so not to alert the others scene.
Old 12-30-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a little point I found interesting.

I used one of those internet inflation calculators which said $12,000 in 1859 would be $296,000 in 2011.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
Old 12-30-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by movielib
Just a little point I found interesting.

I used one of those internet inflation calculators which said $12,000 in 1859 would be $296,000 in 2011.

http://www.westegg.com/inflation/
Spoiler:
Dr. Schultz must have been loaded because when they take the 12K from his wallet he still has a bunch of money left.
Old 12-30-12, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Tarantino said that he made the numbers artificially larger to raise the stakes, relative to his $300 price of a slave that is.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.