Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) The Reviews Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) The Reviews Thread
21.29%
25.81%
32.90%
10.32%
4.52%
1.29%
0.65%
0.65%
0%
0%
0.65%
DjanNo Unchained
1.94%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) The Reviews Thread

Old 12-27-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Django Unchained (Tarantino, 2012) The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by brainee View Post
So what old genre/style is left for QT? He's done martial arts (both Shaw Brothers and Baby Cart style), spaghetti western, blaxploitation, HK action, grindhouse thriller, war. I know he loves 60s and 70s eurohorror ... but that won't adapt to pleasing a modern audience as well as the others.
i think he's been chatting up his 30's gangster flick during some DJANGO interviews. personally i've love for him to tackle the slasher/giallo genre.
Old 12-27-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, an actual horror flick written and directed by him or a science fiction flick would be awesome.
Old 12-27-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
i think he's been chatting up his 30's gangster flick during some DJANGO interviews. personally i've love for him to tackle the slasher/giallo genre.
QT's strengths as a filmmaker seem to play in perfectly with a great Argento-like thriller (which sadly, Argento himself is no longer able to deliver). And giallos aren't without over-the-top visuals and moments of knowing silliness that are consistent with what audiences expect from QT.

There are plenty of other people making period piece gangster movies. I'd much rather see QT give me something no one else is.
Old 12-27-12, 04:53 PM

I saw it today and really enjoyed it. I am not what you'd call a Tarantino fan-boy. I've seen his movies probably one time each, but I usually enjoy them. His movies have been a little over-long for repeat viewings- but whatever... Out of the two 2 hour and 45 minute (ish) movies I've seen this holiday season- this one seemed the shortest (sorry Mr. Jackson). The characters were all great- I have nothing but more praise to heap on Waltz- who was compelling every time he was on screen. I found the Klan scene absolutely hysterical- and I really didn't mind QT's cameo (probably because every one here made it out to be terrible). Criticisms? I don't know- it probably could have been shorter, but for the life of me I couldn't tell you what to cut because it flew by. Maybe better cinematography? It could have been shot more epically? Is that a criticism? I don't know- I'm trying to come up with something. Maybe Foxx could have had a slightly more nuanced character- compared to Waltz he seemed a little wooden sometimes.
Old 12-27-12, 06:29 PM
Banned

Can't criticize the film for anything. Love the look, the music, everything. As a movie in general, nothing bothered me in it's level of quality. Grade A shit. Surprised by some music...didn't expect it in this one, not bad..just didn't expect. Had a heavy ass Peckinpah love letter in here for sure.

Having read the original script for this, released a while back. I'm slightly amazed and disappointed w/ some of the changes. Which come at my preference for certain elements in the script. Out of KB, IB, and DU. This one is the one that bothered me the most w/ some changes. Again..only because I really enjoyed some elements in the script. This film essentially leans out what was a longer but equally, if possibly slightly inferior, story. There was just stuff in this film that I saw more expansion of in the script. Like the Django's horse, what the Brittles would do w/ Django and Hildy, etc. I KNEW there were some changes from what I saw in the trailers, casting, etc etc. I can live w/ that. I'm just saddened that some of the stuff I enjoyed in the script wasn't in this.

I really enjoyed all the cameos in this. Tarantino has great taste in his casting. This is probably my favorite role for him in his own films as well. Great exit for that character.

Coming from the script. Waltz played it exactly as it read in that version, understandably. Jackson's character though...became much more powerful w/ him. Not a criticism on the script..just that SLJ elevated the fuck out of that w/ his presence. DiCaprio was awesome. I know someone mentioned it but yeah...he really cut his hand there for sure. You can tell, seeing that blood come out at it's speed. That caught everyone's attention in my showing.

I wouldn't mind seeing the extended cut of this. Probably wouldn't make the film better but it'd be enjoyable moreso for more information of certain things one could enjoy of. I just want more of that world which I found so much fun to see.

Unlike some people, I don't feel like this was a cut film. Though it was. Nothing felt short, abrupt, or lost. I wonder if they read the script as well.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-27-12 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 06:39 PM
Banned by request

I am so glad I didn't read the script before seeing this. Going in cold and being surprised was such a joy.
Old 12-27-12, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, we ranking Tarantino's filmography again?

Inglorious Basterds
Jackie Brown
Django Unchained
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Death Proof

The only problem I had with the film as already mentioned by others:
Spoiler:
The film loses a lot of steam and traction once DiCaprio and Waltz's characters are killed. The final twenty-to-thirty minutes don't compare to the prior two hours with the exception of the final scene of the film. However, that's not a problem with the editing as others have pointed out. It's a problem that lies within Tarantino's own script.
Tarantino seriously needs to keep on making films that take place in his own warped vision of the past.
Old 12-27-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What a surprise:

Spike Lee boycotts ‘Django Unchained’ to avoid being ‘disrespectful’

Spike Lee doesn't have much to say about Quentin Tarantino's new film about a slave-turned-gunslinger. When it comes to "Django Unchained" he simply won't watch it.
"It'd be disrespectful to my ancestors to see that film. That's the only thing I'm going to say. I can't disrespect my ancestors," Lee told VibeTV in a recent interview.
The director, known for films that examine race relations including "Do The Right Thing" and "Red Hook Summer," took to Twitter to further explain his position on "Django," writing, "American Slavery Was Not A Sergio Leone Spaghetti Western.It Was A Holocaust.My Ancestors Are Slaves.Stolen From Africa.I Will Honor Them." [sic].

Some have dubbed the film Tarantino's "Southern" -- a play on the fact the film's title borrows from 1966 Italian spaghetti Western "Django," includes Western film elements, but is set in the South. And as Tarantino does, he creates hyper-real comedic moments during scenes depicting grotesque violence. One is to assume Lee is not laughing when it comes to Tarantino's stylized take on slavery.
The film depicts several torture scenarios slaves endured -- and no, Tarantino doesn't make a joke out of those horrors. The slaves, including his leading man Django (Jamie Foxx), are the protagonists of the film for the most part -- with the exception of Stephen (Samuel L. Jackson). But Tarantino has admitted he took some artistic license. "When slave narratives are done on film, they tend to be historical with a capital H, with an arms-length quality to them. I wanted to break that history-under-glass aspect, I wanted to throw a rock through that glass and shatter it for all times, and take you into it," the director said recently in an interview.
Indeed, historians are saying that slaves fighting to the death -- a key subplot in the film that now appears to be simply Tarantino's fictional brainchild -- has never been proven to have happened

A fan tweeted back at Spike Lee, saying he was taking the film too seriously. Lee replied, "Wrong.Birth Of A Nation Got Black Folks Lynced [sic]. Media Is Powerful. DON'T SLEEP. WAKE UP YO."
Lee has criticized Tarantino before over his 1997 film "Jackie Brown," which starred '70s blaxploitation film actress Pam Grier and frequently featured the n-word. "I'm not against the word... and I use it, but Quentin is infatuated with the word. What does he want? To be made an honorary black man?" Lee said in a past interview with Variety.
And the n-word is said at least 100 times in "Django," which has, by the way, earned five Golden Globe nominations and Oscar buzz. "Django" also broke box office records its opening day, bringing in $15 million -- the highest Christmas Day gross for an R-rated film.
Oddly, "Django" star Jamie Foxx told multiple press outlets -- including Yahoo! Movies -- in prior interviews that he spoke to Lee at the BET Awards and that Lee promised he wouldn't speak out against the film. It seems he changed his mind.
[Related: Jamie Foxx tells Yahoo! Movies of a confrontation with racism during his youth]
Oprah Winfrey, however, gave "Django" her seeming stamp of approval, calling the film "provocative," "twisted" and "hilarious" on Twitter. Other stars including Kanye West and D.L. Hughley have also praised the film.
Comedian Sarah Silverman weighed in on the debate, telling TMZ, "Doesn't it take place like during slavery? Wouldn't it be odd if they didn't have that horrific word in it?... [Spike Lee's] got a lot of mishegas with a lot of art. I think you can't really tell art what to do."
"Django Unchained" is in theaters now.

http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/2013-g...004053624.html

Last edited by mhg83; 12-27-12 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 09:24 PM
Banned

Jesus. You can't even copy and paste it correctly. Take out some of that weird shit.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-27-12 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-27-12, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

To those who read the script AND saw the movie:

Spoiler:
Wasn't there a scene where Broomhilda was being raped by the Speck Brothers?
Old 12-27-12, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
To those who read the script AND saw the movie:

Spoiler:
Wasn't there a scene where Broomhilda was being raped by the Speck Brothers?
yes, i'm quite sure.
Old 12-27-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There was a scripted scene...
Spoiler:

With them watching Django have sex with her, and whipping him while he was doing so, to move faster, etc.
Old 12-27-12, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Brilliant movie. A+. Beautifully shot, and I usually don't think, hey, that's some good composition. I've seen and love Kill Bill 1 + 2 but I don't think I've seen other Tarantino movies (have Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction waiting at the library among others). Man's a genius.

Had a couple who kept talking Throughout the whole movie, and when I asked them various times to shut up they told me to turn around and be quiet. Who gets indignant and belligerent when asked to be quiet at a movie?? I didn't want to go and get a refund or miss part of the movie to get a manager but seriously soured the movie for me. I didn't even get a respite when the music got loud because they just talked louder to hear themselves. Why are you going to go to a movie and keep talking through a good 40% of the movie, seriously?
Old 12-28-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just got back from seeing it. Movie heaven.
Old 12-28-12, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
Brilliant movie. A+. Beautifully shot, and I usually don't think, hey, that's some good composition. I've seen and love Kill Bill 1 + 2 but I don't think I've seen other Tarantino movies (have Jackie Brown and Pulp Fiction waiting at the library among others). Man's a genius.

Had a couple who kept talking Throughout the whole movie, and when I asked them various times to shut up they told me to turn around and be quiet. Who gets indignant and belligerent when asked to be quiet at a movie?? I didn't want to go and get a refund or miss part of the movie to get a manager but seriously soured the movie for me. I didn't even get a respite when the music got loud because they just talked louder to hear themselves. Why are you going to go to a movie and keep talking through a good 40% of the movie, seriously?
Did they talk through the whole movie or just 40% of it? All joking aside, I'm sorry you had to put up with that and I hope you do like I'm going to do tomorrow night and go see it again.
Old 12-28-12, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sometimes the movie managed to drown their voice out. And they had the most annoying and loud laugh but it probably seemed more annoying because of the walking But hey if it's just laughing and gasping and such not much you can do about your laugh I probably will wait until a few weeks until audiences thin out and go again.
Old 12-28-12, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
There was a scripted scene...
Spoiler:

With them watching Django have sex with her, and whipping him while he was doing so, to move faster, etc.
They showed part of that scene in the trailer like it was some sort of flashback. Did any of this even make it into the final cut, because I don't recall seeing it.
Old 12-28-12, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was underwhelmed. Another glitch in the matrix for me.
Old 12-28-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree that the last chunk of the movie drags a bit, and there are some things you can pick apart regarding the choice of some characters, but that said I loved this movie. Pretty sure it's my favorite film of the year. Just so ridiculously satisfying.
Old 12-28-12, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by collector_cliff View Post
They showed part of that scene in the trailer like it was some sort of flashback. Did any of this even make it into the final cut, because I don't recall seeing it.
Nope.

I actually read the script after I saw the movie (I'll never read a script before seeing a film) and there was a lot of interesting things cut out, including full characters.

A scene that I don't know was filmed or not that I was pretty bummed didn't make it in was about how Calvin Candie got Broomhilda in the first place.

Spoiler:
Basically he wins Broomhilda in a card game, killing the guy who owned her afterwards for accusing him of cheating.

There was a whole lot more to her character in the script.
Old 12-28-12, 02:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I am so glad I didn't read the script before seeing this. Going in cold and being surprised was such a joy.
See, I didn't think of the script as I saw the film. I totally forget about it. I always do that w/ films I know the story of pretty damn well. I just take it for what it is and then afterwards I'll think about what I read or remember and go from there. Reading the script for me does absolute fuck all to ruining the experience. It merely hypes it up for me, to which I've only read the scripts to KB, IB, and DU before the film came out.
Old 12-28-12, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tarantino View Post
Nope.

I actually read the script after I saw the movie (I'll never read a script before seeing a film) and there was a lot of interesting things cut out, including full characters.

A scene that I don't know was filmed or not that I was pretty bummed didn't make it in was about how Calvin Candie got Broomhilda in the first place.

Spoiler:
Basically he wins Broomhilda in a card game, killing the guy who owned her afterwards for accusing him of cheating.

There was a whole lot more to her character in the script.
I forgot about that scene. I remember watching the movie and thinking I thought Candie had a bigger part in the story. In the film, it's basically a glorified cameo.
Old 12-28-12, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw this tonight and enjoyed it for the most part. I did have a problem with the audio though, since AMC theaters seems to have the volume cranked to the max now that it's a bit distorted and earache inducing. I thought it was just a freak occurrence when I saw Skyfall and literally jumped and screamed when the first trailer blared over the speakers after it being quiet before hand. But every film I've seen at AMC since then has had deafeningly loud ear bleeding volume levels now and it's annoying in my opinion. This made the much more than normal use of various music(for a Tarantino film) in the film more annoying to me instead of cool.

But the film was amusing, shocking, disturbing, and extremely entertaining. Though I may need to see it again at normal volume levels to truly enjoy the film and see whether it holds up or not. Since at the moment, I think Tarantino's last film was superior, but this is still a quality flick and very unique.
Old 12-28-12, 09:43 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
See, I didn't think of the script as I saw the film. I totally forget about it. I always do that w/ films I know the story of pretty damn well. I just take it for what it is and then afterwards I'll think about what I read or remember and go from there. Reading the script for me does absolute fuck all to ruining the experience. It merely hypes it up for me, to which I've only read the scripts to KB, IB, and DU before the film came out.
I wouldn't be able to do that. I'd be constantly comparing the finished product to the script.
Old 12-28-12, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I wouldn't be able to do that. I'd be constantly comparing the finished product to the script.
have you never seen a movie that was a book that you've read?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.