Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Spookies (1986)

Given the extremely troubled production history of this film, I wasn't expecting it to be very coherent.

While the film is a bit of a mess (by no fault of the original Directors & Writers), where it shines is in the practical effects & creature design. It's clear a lot of love went into those aspects of the film.
Old 12-18-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

It was on the Lifetime Movie Club on Directv though wonder how a movie with this cast could be part of Lifetime.

Ronan and Nixon gave good performances
Old 12-18-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Finally got all of 'em!
Old 12-19-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Fatal Instinct - Carl Reiner-directed parody movie of film noirs and '90s thrillers. I thought this was extremely weak. Extremely. I didn't laugh out loud once. I got all or most of the references they made in the movie (the Cape Fear stuff was okay), but overall this was just 'blah.' I'm surprised the Olive disc has a commentary track and some deleted scenes. I've also read how two key music cues were changed due to rights issues. I generally like Assante, and I can appreciate the efforts he made to star in a comedic film, but it really doesn't suit him. And it's not like I don't like films like this (I pretty much love Hot Shots! and Hot Shots! Part Deux, and really wish that they were on Blu-Ray...Hell, I also loved Loaded Weapon...and I don't think that has been released in Hi-Def yet)...

Once Upon a Time...In Hollywood - Second time watching it and I still don't get the acclaim (and I'm a giant Tarantino fan...Reservoir Dogs is probably in my top ten favourite movies of all-time, and Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Kill Bill Vols 1 and 2, Django Unchained, Inglourious Basterds, and The Hateful Eight are all just fantastic films...The only one I'm not too enamoured with is Death Proof)...This one, as many have noted, is essentially plotless, and I didn't see any reason why it needed to be close to three hours long. Brad Pitt was very good. I thought DiCaprio was good but overrated...Kurt Russell was awesome...It's always nice to see Bruce Dern make an appearance...I can appreciate the production design and all the homages strewn throughout, but didn't feel like there was a strong narrative to tie everything together...I know many others feel otherwise, but to each his own...I was also surprised that I really didn't care too much about the musical selections like I have for his other movies...Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a good movie overall, but it's not up to the standard I usually expect from Tarantino...

Cult of Chucky - Not that great. I much, much prefer Curse of Chucky. I thought that movie was a surprisingly good return to form, as while I enjoyed Seed and Bride, I felt that the series had run its course...Good thing I only paid $5.00 for Cult (although I probably should've just watched it on Netflix)...
Old 12-19-19, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

The Cotton Club Encore (1984)

Saw this on my Best Buy yesterday and pick it up. Flawed but entertaining flick. The added scenes was nothing special it however missing a couple of scenes one of James Cagney and one Charlie Chaplin making his silverware his trademark walk on the table. 3.5/5
Old 12-19-19, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Gremlins (1984)

Even though I've watched this film countless times, I was able to see it in an actual theater as a part of a local Double Feature.

Love the film! Still want a Mogwai.
Old 12-19-19, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

3615 code Père Noël (aka Deadly Games/Dial Code Santa Claus) (1989)

Fortunate to have caught this as part of a local Double Feature in an actual theater.

While the film's comparison's to Home Alone (1990) are somewhat warranted, I feel that's oversimplifying Director René Manzor's effort. There are tonal shifts that I never quite got from watching that particular film.

Wonderful performances from Alain Musy, Louis Ducreux & Patrick Floersheim (who is delightfully creepy). I also love how much Manzor gets out of filming at (mostly) a single location, as the mansion as a set is great.
Old 12-19-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017)

Re-visiting this film for only the 2nd time since I initially saw it in theaters.

The overall feelings I have for it haven't changed too much but I enjoyed it slightly more than time around.

The film's action sequences are exciting and the film boasts great cinematography. Other than that, I felt everything connected to the main plot (essentially an ultra low-speed chase scene), felt underdeveloped, repetitive or unnecessary.
Old 12-19-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another Stockholm syndrome movie.

Not one of Hawke's best movies
Old 12-20-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

On first viewing, I felt in the middle of the road about it.

There are things I enjoyed about the film (action scenes, bits of humor and specific characters) but so much of the film erases the films before it (including J.J. Abrams' first entry in the trilogy). It also doesn't seem too concerned with (real) character development and what is given to even a character like Rey, is very slap-dash.
Old 12-20-19, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was into it until
Spoiler:
Until they went to Antarctica and then the movie sucked

Old 12-21-19, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Sheep Without a Shepherd (China, 2019)

This Chinese remake of the Indian film Drishyam revolves around a mid/lower class family in Thailand whose peaceful existence is soon jeopardized after their teenage daughter accidentally kills the police chief's sleazy teenage son (who had secretly raped her days earlier and filmed it on his phone) in self defense. Mom conceals the body in the cemetery next to their house while Dad soon arrives home from a business trip and quickly goes about getting rid of all the evidence and concocting the perfect plan to provide his family with an airtight alibi.

Unfortunately, the police chief (a superb Joan Chen) happens to be a resourceful, intelligent, and unethical pursuer of justice who will stop at nothing to find the person responsible for her son's disappearance. But Dad may have more than one ace up his sleeve.

This movie starts out like it's going to be an insufferable silly comedy, but then swiftly turns into a stylish, crackerjack crime thriller that expertly ratchets up the tension with each passing minute. We are completely in Dad's corner as he relentlessly coaches up each family member (even his very young second daughter) to give the right responses to an interrogation, knowing full well that the police will inevitably turn their attention upon his family. He's also a big movie buff and uses his extensive knowledge of movie plots to help in his plan to outwit the police.

The twisty storyline may not be the most believable and the ending is typical of Chinese cinema in how it has to resolve everything in a predictable manner, but the film moves at a pleasing pace and allows for some effective moments that humanize the characters by showing the emotional toll that the crime has on both the family and the police chief. The movie also now has me interested in the Korean thriller Montage, which this film heavily references.
Old 12-21-19, 03:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 923 Likes on 776 Posts

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker....a fitting, safe, sometimes rousing, highly predictable, but ultimately satisfying end to this saga. I liked it for what it was. Liked the cameos, especially
Spoiler:
Ford.

Spoiler:
The Hux reveal was stupid and Gleeson was terrible at it,

but that was very predictable.
Spoiler:
Kylo turning was a little surprising and kinda out of blue.
Rey being a Palpatine was something i didn't see,

but again, this was safe, really took most ques from RotJ, but i liked it for the most part. 3rd best of the new three, but way better than the PT. Overall, this was fan service and i enjoyed it for that.

Old 12-21-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)

Second viewing. The aspects of the film I enjoyed the first time I saw film, I still enjoyed.

Nothing changed in terms of the aspects I didn't enjoy.
Old 12-23-19, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Was this ever released in the theaters or a direct to video release?

Old 12-23-19, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The ending wow WTF?

It was really short and maybe 1 hr and 22 minutes if you take out the closing credits.

This should be Rambo 3 and 1/2 and not the final Rambo.
Old 12-23-19, 06:15 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Jojo Rabbit.
Very quirky film. These type are right up my alley. For some strange reason I fell asleep twice during it. I'm not sure if that was a product of the film or just being overly tired.
Old 12-23-19, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

The Lighthouse - 4.5/5
Old 12-23-19, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Intruder (1953)

Decent british post WW2 drama about the commander of a tank division who a few years after the war catches a burglar in his house and recognizes him as one of his ex-troopers. The ex-soldiers flees but the officer goes on a manhunt to try and find the burglar to help him. Thus meeting with members of his old platoon. But the police is also after the burglar...
Directed by Guy Hamilton of James Bond fame (Goldfinger, You Only Live Twice, etc.)
Old 12-23-19, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The President’s Analyst (1967)

Not too funny satire on the cold war and the world of spies. James Coburn as a comic icon? Not working!
A psychiatrist is hired as the personal shrink to the US president but quits after a few months of overtiring work. All the secret services of the world, including his own, are after him either to kill him or get his secrets,,,
Old 12-23-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Contagion (2011)

Excellent Stephen Soderbergh film about a killer virus that wipes out rapidly a part of the world population. We follow different characters, Doctors, normal folk and contaminated ones, as the world goes into chaos. A lot of material and avenues that were hardly explored. Could have used another hour to beef it up. Still a good film, but could have used more development in certain areas.
Old 12-23-19, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hands over the City (1963)

Still pertinent italian political drama about corruption in the municipal government. Although set in another time and another place, we see frequent echoes of the same kind of lobby groups, be they business, individuals or whole sectors of industry, who do shady dealings with people in power to get their hands on such or such contracts from the government. In the case of Francesco Rosi's film, it's a group of developers (led by corrupt municipal representant/building company owner Rod Steiger) who bribe the city council to get the proposed city development plan changed so the city will now build housing on land they own thus astronomically rising the profit they make by selling it to the city. Great stuff if a little dry for non-Italians.
Old 12-24-19, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Rambo: Last Blood (2019) — Action (and violence) filled sequel (and likely last) in the Rambo franchise. Not nearly as good as First Blood or Rambo (2008), but still darkly entertaining flick with another solid performance from Stallone who thankfully hasn't gone into the lazy realm like Steven Seagal.

There are some plot contrivances one has to get past but still enjoyed this entry and it is one insane of an ending. 3.75/5
Old 12-24-19, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amanda Crew is hot and maybe Patrick had some quotes you might agree with but it was an average movie.
Old 12-25-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It was terrible

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.