Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

This was pretty good

Wish Lily James kept the blonde hair for this movie.

Spoiler:
She never gave up on him and was persistent. I thought she would have ditched him for good.

A lot of bonus features on the Blu-ray I need to watch.

Wish my friend who died in 2016 and a big Beatles fan had a chance to see this movie
Old 10-19-19, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

Enemy Mine - 3/5 it was entertaining but noting special
The Natural - 5/5 love this one. One of my all time favorites.
Jaws 4/5 - about as good as a evil creature must be stopped movie can get
Old 10-19-19, 07:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

This was pretty good

Wish Lily James kept the blonde hair for this movie.

Spoiler:
She never gave up on him and was persistent. I thought she would have ditched him for good.

A lot of bonus features on the Blu-ray I need to watch.

Wish my friend who died in 2016 and a big Beatles fan had a chance to see this movie
Missed it att the cinema when it came out (was away on vacation and it had a short run only here) but it's on. my wish list. Danny Boyle and the Beatles, should be worth it.
Old 10-19-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Excellent film about scientists stopping a deadly virus from outer space. Not sure this should have got a G rating more likely should been PG cause there are scene little kids might find too disturbing
Spoiler:
dead people including children, rheus monkey getting killed, a topless woman it darkly show but you can see her tits.
Old 10-19-19, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
I also like a bizarre little fictitious film from a few decades back called 'Shadow of the Vampire' about the shooting of Nosferatu. Willem Dafoe played the actor who played the vampire but he's intensely into it, to the point where he thinks he is actually a vampire. Not everyone enjoyed this film but I loved it
Thx, may check that out someday. Have usually enjoyed watching Dafoe's performances even in films I absolutely hated such as The Last Temptation of Christ.

Old 10-19-19, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by MR Round
The Bridge On The River Kwai - 4/5 - I loved in until the end, seem ed like it was all for nothing then.
Interesting. Been some time since I watched the film but my reaction was the opposite -- I hated it until the end but loved the ending.
Old 10-19-19, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Maybe second time in 10 years I have seen this and one of the few good Clooney movies that hold up.

WIsh Anna Kendrick would get more roles like the one she had in this movie and which probably jump-started her career.
My favorite among the Clooney films I've seen with excellent authentic performances imo by Clooney as the sociopathic downsizing "expert", Vera Farmiga as the sex interest, and Kendrick as the very aptly-named Keener character. Apparently most of the people seen fired in the film are not actors -- they're real people recounting their experience of being 'downsized'.

Old 10-19-19, 02:29 PM

The Magdalene Sisters (2002) 4.0/5

Three young women placed in one of Ireland's Magdalene Asylums in 1964 find themselves imprisoned indefinitely, forced to labor 6 days per week from dusk to dawn doing laundry, and are treated harshly by the Sisters who run the Asylum (all of whom must have belonged to the Roman Catholic Church's "Sisters of No Mercy" order).

In 2013 the Irish government issued a formal state apology and established a £50 million compensation scheme for survivors of the Magdalene Asylums. The religious orders who ran the asylums have refused to contribute to the compensation scheme or acknowledge any responsibility for their harsh & deviant treatment of the young women in their care.

Sex In a Cold Climate (1998) 4.0/5

TV documentary that inspired The Magdalene Sisters film. Interviews with four elderly women who recount their experiences as young residents of the Magdalene Asylums and the devastating effect that had on their lives.

Old 10-19-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56

Excellent film about scientists stopping a deadly virus from outer space. Not sure this should have got a G rating more likely should been PG cause there are scene little kids might find too disturbing
Spoiler:
dead people including children, rheus monkey getting killed, a topless woman it darkly show but you can see her tits.
When I was younger, this was one of the few books I couldn't put down and read in one go through the night (The Hobbit was another). I have seen the film decades ago and liked it but wasn't as taken by the suspense as I was from the book. I recently found a DVD copy of it in a pile of things I bought so am looking forward to rewatching it. Inceidentally they did a miniseries a few years back (with Mark Ruffalo I think) that wasn't too impressive.
Old 10-19-19, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Red Heat (1988) — Entertaining enough buddy-cop movie has some fun action scenes (the bus chase sequence was great). Only thing holding it back was the pairing of Schwarzenegger and Belushi never quite worked for me. Still a good flick from Walter Hill, though not sure it ranks all that high compared with others from the era. 3.5/5
Old 10-19-19, 03:19 PM

Spaceballs (1987) 4.5/5: Re-watch of my favorite Mel Brooks film. Love Rick Moranis' portrayal of the "evil" Dark Helmet, and the scene where Lone Star & Princess Vespa are located by using a rental copy of the Spaceballs movie never fails to crack me up. Nice tribute to John Candy in the Extras.

High Anxiety (1977) 2.5/5: Have seen about half of the Hitchcock films spoofed in this one, but Mel Brooks' parodies of some of the scenes from those films were imo juvenile and not very funny.

Young Frankenstein (1974) 2.5/5: Highest rated (8.0/10) of Mel Brooks' films on imdb. Disliked this one when I first watched it years ago, and still do. Perhaps if I'd seen some of the 1931-45 Universal Frankenstein films Brooks was spoofing I might appreciate it 0.5/5 more.

Blazing Saddles (1974) 3.0/5: Brooks' spoof of the Western genre. Considered it very funny when I saw it years ago. Less so today.
Old 10-19-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Missed it att the cinema when it came out (was away on vacation and it had a short run only here) but it's on. my wish list. Danny Boyle and the Beatles, should be worth it.
If you have Netflix move it to the top of the que
Old 10-19-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It had some funny moments which surprised me.

It was cool to see Jake Gyllenhaal play a villain in a comic book movie though I still prefer the Tobey Maguirre Dunst Spiderman movies over the current version.

I wish Gyllenhaal got a chance to play Peter Parker since he has the perfect look for that role though he might not be as skinny as the other actors who played that role.
Old 10-19-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They don't make action movies like this anymore.

Tom Cruise could never do this

Old 10-20-19, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Singin' in the Rain (1952)

Love this film. Never get tired of re-visiting it.
Old 10-20-19, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The stuntman - 4/5 wasn't groundbreaking but it was allot of fun. Peter o toole sure wasn't a nice guy
True Grit 2010 - 5/5 fantastic remake. I prefer the original just because none can replace John Wayne. But Steinfeld and Bridges were awesome and I like how its more like the book.
Hooper 3.5/5 - it was fun and breezy I liked it more then I thought I would.
Old 10-20-19, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1
Interesting. Been some time since I watched the film but my reaction was the opposite -- I hated it until the end but loved the ending.
I think the previous reviewers need to watch this one again; they seem to not be paying attention.

Excellent WWII action/adventure with a moral compass plotline alongside the commando jungle trek with superb characterizations for both British & Japanese cultures. Madness!

Old 10-20-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Toy Story 3 (2010) — Just an all around wonderful and poignant sequel that surpasses the others. Great seeing the gang working together and the voice casting was, once again, perfect. While Toy Story 4 was good, this served as a great finale. 5.0/5
Old 10-20-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Had no idea this was even a thing. This is Easy Andy from Taxi Driver, Scorsese directed him a documentary about his heroin use. Dude is a trip and a masterful storyteller. It's obvious that Tarantino used the adrenaline needle in addition to how he tells stories like Mr. Orange in Reservoir Dogs. Hell, there's even a fight scene that's reminiscent of Nice Guy Eddie and Mr. Blonde in Joe Cabot's office included. This doc is from 1978.

It's only 51 mins. but flies by.

Old 10-20-19, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got this from Netflix two weeks and was not that excited to see it.

Dennis Quaid was ok but the dogs are less cute with the Josh Gag voiceover.

Probably belongs on the Hallmark channel and not the cinema.
Old 10-20-19, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,019 Likes on 629 Posts

Glass - I really liked it. Shyamalan is very hit-or-miss-by-a-mile, but this trilogy is consistently good.
Old 10-21-19, 08:32 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Just watched Zombieland 2 on Friday and The Addams Family on Sunday. The money could have been spent a lot more wisely.
Old 10-21-19, 03:44 PM

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

A very worthy sequel to the sequel etc. #4 in the series. I enjoyed it and will watch again.
Old 10-21-19, 05:48 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Midsommar - The fuck was that?
Old 10-22-19, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

White Buffalo - while Bronson wasnt the best Wild Bill it was an oddly enjoyable flick 3/5
White House Down 4/5 - like this alot more then Olympus Has Fallen
Pirates Of The Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales 3/5 it was okay, i hope this is the last one made
21 Jump Street 4/5 its dumb but alot of fun.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.