Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-19, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Inspecteur La bavure (1980 ). (Inspector Blunder)

Some funny bits in this french comedy with much loved stand up comic Coluche (who died soon after in a motorcycle accident). Not the greatest film but nice to reminisce about this guy who had a too short career (but who was an asshole rumours say).
A new inspector, son of an idiot who died a hero in service to his country, befriends a criminal unbeknownst to him and helps the later kidnap the girl he loves. But when he gets wise to the identity of his "friend" it is too late. He'll ask the help of his old crook friends to set things right.
Old 09-18-19, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Joseph Gordon Levitt acting like a wigga
Old 09-18-19, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haunt (2019). Not bad. About a group of friends who enter a haunted house expecting to have an enjoyable Halloween night out but instead experience something terrifying. The plot might be a bit cliche (what isn't nowadays) but it's still an enjoyable watch overall.
Old 09-19-19, 06:20 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

First Blood, Rambo II, Rambo III, John Rambo (Rambo extended cut).
Old 09-19-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
Is it about being gay or bisexual?
Old 09-20-19, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Booksmart (2019)

Enjoyed this film.

Beanie Feldstein & Kaitlyn Dever were great as was Billie Lourd.
Old 09-20-19, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Devil's Rejects (2005)

The first time I saw this in theaters was 14 years ago and I loved it.

Was fortunate to see it again in theaters again yesterday. Still love it.
Old 09-20-19, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Rambo: Last Blood

Decent conclusion? to the Rambo saga with an insane final 40+ minutes with some gruesome kills. Plot is paper thin and villains are very one note and cliched.

Overall a B- from me.
Old 09-20-19, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

3 From Hell (2019)

Even though I loved Sheri Moon Zombie attempting to push her character a bit further, the film is flat, lacking intensity in its 111-minute run-time.

Bill Moseley & Richard Brake feel wasted here. Moseley's character looks bored compared to previous iterations of Otis and Richard Brake had better material written for him in Rob Zombie's previous effort, 31.
Old 09-20-19, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Surprised Paul Shraeder directed this since it seems beneath him and his talents as an artist.

I was hoping Annette O' Toole would be the one that would go fully nude too.
Loved Bowie's rendition of "Putting Out Fire" that opens "Cat People". Nastassja Kinski was nice to look at. Other than those two things the film was pretty blah.
Old 09-20-19, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Play Misty for Me (1971)

Eastwood's first directing job is not bad but uber-cheezy in the love interludes. And his wooden acting with his jaw set in concrete like he has a pole up his ass is quite unbearable. Apart from thast, the crazy psycho story of the lady stalker is effective.

A radio dj has a one night stand with a fan but she turns out to be some psychotic chick who thought they were in love and will cling dramatically and violently to their non-relation.
Liked Jessica Walter's portrayal of the psycho. Agree with your observations on Eastwood's performance.

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 09-20-19 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-20-19, 01:30 PM

Autómata (2014) 0.5/5

Never before while watching a Sci-Fi film have I pressed the remote button so often to see how much time remained as I did with this POS.

Intense solar storms have eliminated 99.7% of the earth's population and survivors rely on robots to construct safe cities.* When a robot is observed repairing itself in violation of a built-in security protocol an investigator (Antonio Banderas) is assigned to track down the source of the security override.
Old 09-20-19, 01:56 PM

The Ladykillers (1955) 4.0/5
Posing as classical musicians needing space to practice, a group of criminals rent space in the home of an elderly Camden widow as cover for their major heist. When the widow discovers the crime and insists the criminals return the money they decide she must die, which results in tragic consequences ... for the criminals.

A charming British film with excellent performances by all, including a barely recognizable Sir Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers in his first major film role, and Herbert Lom who would later play Chief Inspector Dreyfus to Seller's Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther films.

The Ladykillers (2004) 3.0/5
Posing as classical musicians needing space to practice, a group of criminals rent space in the home of an elderly Mississippi widow as cover for their major heist. When the widow discovers the crime and insists the criminals return the money they decide she must die, which results in tragic consequences ... for the criminals.

The Coen brothers' adaptation for American audiences is a dud with stereotypical characters that Tom Hanks, J.K. Simmons, and Marlon Wayans could not make interesting.

Last edited by Hstrybuff1; 09-26-19 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-20-19, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) — Pretty out there (in a good way) sequel that doesn't make a whole lot of sense but still was an entertaining supernatural horror flick, the kind of horror I'm generally not a fan of. Kind of surprising Ashley Laurence didn't go on to bigger things (her last movie was 2008). 3.5/5
Old 09-20-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1
Loved Bowie's rendition of "Putting Out Fire" that opens "Cat People". Nastassja Kinski was nice to look at. Other than those two things the film was pretty blah.
It also had that Giorgio Moroder soundtrack
Old 09-20-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am a sucker for a prep school drama but this was boring and it does not really show how he came up with the LOTR premise until the end.

The Catcher in the Rye was the better movie with Hoult playing an author.

Last edited by JeffTheAlpaca; 09-20-19 at 06:58 PM.
Old 09-20-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

Dark Star - John Carpenter's first film, which apparently took 3 years to make. Co-written by Dan O'Bannon, this is a pretty trippy movie about a group of astronauts that go around blowing up planets. While some of the effects actually look really good for it's time (and the set design is surprisingly good), there's others that are extremely dated (i.e. the alien beach ball thing). Pretty funny at times, but they definitely extended as many scenes/sequences as they could, to make sure the movie's running time was close to an hour and a half. All in all, I'm glad I finally watched this, as I had read about it for years...And the Blu-Ray actually looks and sounds pretty good...I'll probably check out some of the special features later on this weekend...Carpenter definitely grew big time as a filmmaker between this and his follow-up, the masterful Assault on Precinct 13...

I do wish this film had commentary by Carpenter, as he remains one of the best in the biz when it comes to that sort of thing...
Old 09-20-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 88 Posts

I loved when Tarantino used that same song in Inglourious Bastereds...The way he edited that scene to go along with the music was great...

But I agree, not a big fan of Cat People...And I typically love Schrader films...
Old 09-21-19, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Ladykillers (1955) 4.0/5
Posing as classical musicians needing space to practice, a group of criminals rent space in the home of an elderly Camden widow as cover for their major heist. When the widow discovers the crime and insists the criminals return the money they decide she must die, which results in tragic consequences ... for the criminals.

A charming British film with excellent performances by all, including a barely recognizable Sir Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers in his first major film role, and Peter Lom who would later play Chief Inspector Dreyfus to Seller's Inspector Clouseau in the Pink Panther films.

The Ladykillers (2004) 3.0/5
Posing as classical musicians needing space to practice, a group of criminals rent space in the home of an elderly Mississippi widow as cover for their major heist. When the widow discovers the crime and insists the criminals return the money they decide she must die, which results in tragic consequences ... for the criminals.

The Coen brothers' adaptation for American audiences is a dud with stereotypical characters that Tom Hanks, J.K. Simmons, and Marlon Wayans could not make interesting.
Agree with you the Coen remake was a bore. And I like them very much and am more tolerable with my criticisms of their work. But this was a complete missfire.
And it's Herbert Lom not Peter, just for the record.
Old 09-21-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

I am a sucker for a prep school drama but this was boring and it does not really show how he came up with the LOTR premise until the end.

The Catcher in the Rye was the better movie with Hoult playing an author.
Darn! I am a huge JRR fan and was looking forward to this having read a few biographies and all his books ... many times! I'll probably end up watching it some day anyways but now it's gone down on my wish list. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 09-21-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goonies85
Dark Star - John Carpenter's first film, which apparently took 3 years to make. Co-written by Dan O'Bannon, this is a pretty trippy movie about a group of astronauts that go around blowing up planets. While some of the effects actually look really good for it's time (and the set design is surprisingly good), there's others that are extremely dated (i.e. the alien beach ball thing). Pretty funny at times, but they definitely extended as many scenes/sequences as they could, to make sure the movie's running time was close to an hour and a half. All in all, I'm glad I finally watched this, as I had read about it for years...And the Blu-Ray actually looks and sounds pretty good...I'll probably check out some of the special features later on this weekend...Carpenter definitely grew big time as a filmmaker between this and his follow-up, the masterful Assault on Precinct 13...

I do wish this film had commentary by Carpenter, as he remains one of the best in the biz when it comes to that sort of thing...
I have vague memories of seeing this on VHS back in the day. And my friend was all enthusiastic because it was Carpenter and the Alien guys and supercult, but I just remember it looking almost like a university project and not laughing very much. I'll have to rewatch it some day but there are more important things on my list.
Old 09-21-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Three Stooges Meet Hercules (1962)

I knew OF the 3 Stooges and their history in US cinema but apart from a few seconds of Moe slapping his friends, I had never seen any of their work. This was exactly what I expected. Slapstick to a point of unfunniness and a few good one-liners but that mostly feel telegraphed. I wasn't bored but it was more like a historical/anthropological experience for me. Now I can tick the Three Stooges box in my cinematographic culture.
Old 09-21-19, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I removed the shrinkwrap after 4 years and I thought it was even more funnier the second time around.

Naomi Watts was so hot in this
Old 09-21-19, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was in my Netflix que though I never collected or played with anything that was Pokemon related.

Maybe for diehards only. Bill Nighy is in this
Old 09-21-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
Netflix - Time Trap. A fun and fairly quick watch (unless, like me you keep pausing the film turning it into a 2+ hour viewing).
I watched this last night and liked it a lot. It's a cool premise and pretty well executed, though the characters are a bit dense much of the time. A fun sci-fi/horror B-movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.