Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-19, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Originally Posted by DWilson
I'll agree it's too long. They could have easily dropped the Meryl Streep cameo, which felt out of place for me. Blunt was good but lacked that something that Julie Andrews had. The Dick Van Dyke scene at the end really saved the movie for me.
Disney movies are overrated
Old 04-23-19, 09:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

enjoyed dario argento's the bird with the crystal plumage (1970), ...... it is one of my favorite gialli in the giallo genre universe
Old 04-23-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts

^It sure is. It's probably the classiest and least-campy of all gialli.
Old 04-23-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe it was more extreme back in 1981 but could probably be PG-13 today.
Old 04-24-19, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

The Hole in the Ground (2019) — Effective Irish horror film has many effectively creepy scenes, though kids in these kind of movies have a built-in creepiness anyway. Some solid acting from both leads, especially Seána Kerslake. Won't be long until Blumhouse decides to remake it... 3.75/5
Old 04-24-19, 04:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

enjoyed a decadent LOUD double dose of black sabbath : one from a maestro and the other from a master!..
thats right..mario bava and ronnie james dio.!. cause nasty motherfckrs , witches, rainbows and mountains don't get any better than this
Old 04-24-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Return of the Living Dead II (1986)

Stupid and not funny. Dan O'Bannon, where were you?
Old 04-24-19, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ScHoLaR oF SMuT
enjoyed a decadent LOUD double dose of black sabbath : one from a maestro and the other from a master!..
thats right..mario bava and ronnie james dio.!. cause nasty motherfckrs , witches, rainbows and mountains don't get any better than this
I like Bava's Sabbath but prefer Ozzy to Dio!
Old 04-24-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Invincible Super Chan (1971)

By the palm of Buddha! I haven't laughed like this in a while. Awesomely bad 70s Hong Kong kung fu film. The doubling was just hilarious. Felt like "Kung Pow: Enter the Fist" all over. 78 minutes film has 3 minutes of plot and 75 minutes of mind boggling fights,
Old 04-24-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blackkklansman (2018)

I admit I was a bit disapointed by this. Had high expectations after all the buzz and good critics. Great, unbelieveable story - much fictionalized I'm told - but as usual Spike Lee is heavy handed and unsubtle in the scenes where he needs to get his message through. Although the message is important (be proud you're black, jew or whatever, don't wait for the white man to validate your life, don't tolerate racism and exploitation, etc), I just wish Lee would not take his public for slow witted idiots. I liked his piques at Trump and the conservative America. Still, good film but not worth the Palme d'or at Cannes imho.
For those who don't know, it tells the story of black rookie cop who in the 70s infiltrated the KKK with phone conversations (using one of his partners for real-life meetings) in Colorado.
Old 04-24-19, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was not really a Seagal movie and more of an ensemble piece

Nas, Ice T, and Chilli From TLC round out this superb cast.

Old 04-24-19, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Vermilion Pleasure Night vol 2 (2000)

Bizarre Japanese skit show with comedy numbers sometimes reminescent of Spike Milligan (zombie family dinner) or Robot Chicken (the Fukkers). Uneven but some nice stuff. The music bits I'm not too sure about. To me they seemed cheesy-funny but I suspect some were just your regular J-pop and were meant to be serious musical interludes. As with all things japanese, the culture gap sometimes makes it hard to get the original intent. Oh well...
Old 04-24-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Plague of the Zombies (1966)

I love 60s Hammer Horror. Not particularly scary and the small budgets show but the victorian ambiance and slow pace is joyful to me.
Old 04-24-19, 08:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Darn! Just when I thought Justin Trudeau's vacuous politics and smiling good-looks was all a front and that he really was a mastermind waiting for the right moment to do something good! You HAD to blow my bubble! Damn you mld!
LOL. Credit to you, RR69, you saw through JT’s facade long before I did. I naively expected more substance from someone with his lineage and had assumed he would surround himself with seasoned political staff to guide him through the blind spots resulting from his privileged upbringing.

Heard JT will be featured in an upcoming episode of ‘The Simpsons’. Made me wonder whether his idiot-stick handlers might convince JT to change the family name to Tru-D’oh! to capitalize on that.
Old 04-24-19, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Maybe it was more extreme back in 1981 but could probably be PG-13 today.
... or G. Body Heat continues to be my favorite Kathleen Turner film.

Old 04-24-19, 08:46 PM

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)

Re-watch of my favorite Python film.

Beatle George Harrison apparently mortgaged his home and office building to finance the film when the original backers reneged due to fears about public reaction. Those fears proved prescient as the film was banned in several locales. In some places where it screened the film drew massive protests from many Christian denominations, prompting John Cleese to joke “
"We've brought them all together for the first time in two thousand years!"
Old 04-24-19, 09:28 PM

The Bang Bang Club (2010)

Based on the true-life story of four young photographers who captured images of the factional violence between supporters of the Inkatha Freedom Party and supporters of Mandela's African National Congress during the final years of apartheid in South Africa. Two would win Pullitzer Prizes for photos that brought world-wide attention to the violence in South Africa and the famine in Sudan. One would be killed in a friendly-fire incident, and a second committed suicide the same year.
Old 04-24-19, 10:03 PM

African Cats (2011)

Nice and sometimes amazing photography, but I dislike Disney's penchant for ascribing human values & emotions to wildlife in order to frame a story.
Old 04-25-19, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1

Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)

Re-watch of my favorite Python film.

Beatle George Harrison apparently mortgaged his home and office building to finance the film when the original backers reneged due to fears about public reaction. Those fears proved prescient as the film was banned in several locales. In some places where it screened the film drew massive protests from many Christian denominations, prompting John Cleese to joke “
"We've brought them all together for the first time in two thousand years!"
Even though the Pythons kept saying they weren't making fun of Jesus - he's in there for about 30 seconds and the sermon on the mount is the same as in the Bible - but of blind faith in anything and anyone with enough charisma, Christian groups were just stubborn (there's a novelty!) in their protests. Even if they started the movement BEFORE the film was out and no one had seen it. Which to me just shows there is no place for self-thought in these groups. Glad the whole thing backfired on them though as the protest and ban only made the film's success bigger since more people went to see it just to see what the fuss was about. Any publicity is good publicity as the saying goes. In towns where it was banned, groups organised buses to go see it in the next town, thus making it a bigger success!
Old 04-25-19, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Kin (2018)

Very ordinary (to be polite) action/drama disguised as a sci-fi film. Aimed at teenagers like so many would-be 'franchises' these days. Another that won't see a sequel due to poor box office. I thought it was adapted from a series of books but it seems its an expansion of a short film the two directors made.
A young boy finds an extra-terrestrial artefact/gun in a disused factory in his neighbourhood and goes on a road trip with his brother just out of prison. Both have people pursuing them for different reasons but it all ends up in gun fights and happy end!
Old 04-25-19, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Dead Want Women (2012)

Another forgettable low-budget horror from Full Moon. Eric Roberts seems drunk and/or bored in all his scenes.
Old 04-25-19, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For No Good Reason (2012)

Although artist/cartoonist Ralph Steadman himself is a bit of an ego-maniac, it still makes for an interesting documentary. Mostly known for his collaboration with gonzo writer/journalist Hunter S Thompson, the film also looks as his other work, some of it very political. All the contributions mentionned oin the cover (Gilliam, Richard E Grant, Johnny Depp, etc) are basically just cameos that don't bring anything to the process. Depp, a friend of Steadman is particularly useless (I suspect he was the catalyst that made the film possible - which has been rumoured to take over a decade to make - since his name is a big attraction for budget givers and distributors) as he just nods and goes "hum hum" to all Steadman says. Still, an ok look at the mind process of a dedicated and weird artist.
Old 04-25-19, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shazam! (2019)

Saw this in the theater with my 13 year-old son. Clearly geared towards him more than me! Didn't like anything about it really. Humour, Disney-type family, Foam-filled costume, actors, etc.
I wonder how they will (if) incorporate this annoying teenager farce into the more adult/serious (albeit limping) Justice League universe. They already had Flash as an immature teenager/comic relief so Shazam would look like a toddler maturity wise.
Old 04-25-19, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
Disney movies are overrated
Agreed! There are a few good ones but people go nuts just because it says 'Disney'. They'll pass on much better but lesser known animation films from other sources and will see and buy anything Disney. It reminds me abit of the Criterion Collection. People go crazy when it says Criterion and will ignore sometimes better films (even by the same director) that are not 'Criterion'. Fortunately Criterion has a much better batting average as not much of their films are not worth a look.
Old 04-25-19, 08:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Curse of La Llorona (2019)

I wasn't too impressed with this, though I enjoyed the lead actors' performances. I haven't seen any of The Conjuring universe movies, so maybe this is how they go, but there were just way too many jump scares here. It didn't help that the filmmakers made La Llorona look like Samara, or every other J-horror ghost, except for maybe a couple of scenes.

There's a better movie to be made about the subject. I wonder if we'll ever see it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.