Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Old 04-25-19, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

A Man Escaped - 1956

In a film based on the writings of French Resistance fighter and POW André Devigny, Fontaine (François Leterrier) is being held by the Nazis at Fort Montluc. When he gets word that he's scheduled for execution, Fontaine channels his energy into hatching a plan to break out. His plan is interrupted when he is assigned a new roommate. Fontaine grudgingly brings the newcomer in on the escape effort, which involves homespun weapons and an intricate knowledge of the layout of the prison itself.
Release date: August 26, 1957 (USA)
Director: Robert Bresson
Cinematography: Léonce-Henri Burel
Screenplay: Robert Bresson
Languages: French language, German language
Streamed from Criterion Channel

4.5/5
Old 04-25-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 177 Posts

Dark Ride (2017) — Well acted British-drama with some haunting scenes and a somber tone. Ruth Wilson was excellent. 3.75/5

Serenity (2019)
— One of the more bizarre movies. Going in I thought this was going to be a simple crime-drama based on the synopsis but by the film's end,
Spoiler:
this was closer to The Truman Show than The Woman in the Window or any other film noir mysteries.
Acting was... interesting with McConaughey going from decent to over-the-top and Anne Hathaway has a couple good scenes and serves well within the plot written and directed by Steven Knight. 4.0/5
Old 04-25-19, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 674 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
Agreed! There are a few good ones but people go nuts just because it says 'Disney'. They'll pass on much better but lesser known animation films from other sources and will see and buy anything Disney. It reminds me abit of the Criterion Collection. People go crazy when it says Criterion and will ignore sometimes better films (even by the same director) that are not 'Criterion'. Fortunately Criterion has a much better batting average as not much of their films are not worth a look.
I don't like how they have the most control and hands on most of the entertainment media we consume
Old 04-25-19, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Revisited this and did not change my mind. Boring and some of the acting was horrible and glad I never did a blind buy on this.

Maybe this is when Fraser jumped the shark back in 2010.
Old 04-26-19, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Glad I was able to avoid Spoilers for this one.

Fun film. Feel that Infinity War was the better of the two films.
Old 04-26-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 148 Likes on 124 Posts

Watched I Am a Hero (2015):

This is a great zombie flick for the first 30-40 minutes with an outstanding set piece involving survivors trying to escape a zombie attack in a taxi. Then it slows down and almost grinds to a halt in the second act before the protagonists wind up in (wait for it) a shopping mall. (It's actually an outdoor outlet mall, but that's splitting hairs.) The climax involves a lot of exploding heads and flying giblets, but there's the usual tension/conflict/threat from other survivors before you get there.

The reviews I read for this film were glowing. I suspect those reviewers had to sit through a lot of bad zombie schlock before watching this one.

Rating: 6.5 / 10
Old 04-26-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger - 3.5/5

Not Allen's best, but still good.
Old 04-26-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Avengers Endgame Awesome, awesome finale to the series.
Old 04-26-19, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It premiered on Showtime last week.

How did they get Mark Strong, Jeff Daniels, Sienna Miller, Guy Pierce, Paul Giamatti, and Shea Wigham all in one movie?

It was ok but wiith this Pro Bowl cast it should have been a better and more exciting movie
Old 04-26-19, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 359 Likes on 302 Posts

Gomorrah (2008)

The strongest stories in the film hit hard, the ones that don't drag down the pacing of the film, which is partly to due with its overall structure.

Really loved that ending.
Old 04-26-19, 11:03 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 866 Likes on 732 Posts

Avengers: Endgame...Amazing! Perfect ending to a perfect series. I had no idea what to expect and was surprised many times over. This was an epic ending. Dare I say better than LotR: RotK which, yes, is epic and extended even more so, but something about all the endings bothered me. I was flabbergasted after this. Speechless. That was a movie in all its film glory. Incredible story telling and movie making. Pure character driven. Hardly any action and it was made fantastic that you didn’t even miss it. Characters you’ve come to know and love in this glorious series of movies. Just so much and 3 hours flew. Didn’t check time once. Just perfect. The 3D absolutely sucked though. Maybe some depth, but had no idea I was watching in 3D, but no way detracted from this phenom that will be all time domestic BO.

5 stars (first or second since Brooklyn)
Old 04-27-19, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69
I like Bava's Sabbath but prefer Ozzy to Dio!
right now i prefer tomorrow's Sabbath....where melodic blackend screaming
village kids nailed to walls get the crutch of fuck burned out of them in games of thrones and start shining like rainbows in the dark

.. for me.. i'll always rape the music replay button for BOTH ozzy and ronnie there's no 'favorite" or "better" because every black sabbath era is iconic on their own...whether its ozzy riffing vocals or ronnie james dio throwing down his vibrato octave 4 fach to sustane the chords in sabbaths classical music on distorted instruments we call heavy metal . * rip RJDand Hail metal!

Last edited by ScHoLaR oF SMuT; 04-27-19 at 07:45 PM.
Old 04-27-19, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Avengers: Endgame (2019)

Glad I was able to avoid Spoilers for this one.

Fun film. Feel that Infinity War was the better of the two films.
I Agree. Infinity was better. This one has too many slow moments, too much humour and the end scene is over the top. Not awful, had a good time but a slight disapointment. I won't spoil anything either but know that there is NO after-credit scene. So don't bother waiting.

Old 04-27-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The feel good movie of 2018
Old 04-27-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Conversation (1974) — A great movie that resonates even more so today than even back then. Wonderful performance from Gene Hackman who deserved an Oscar nomination (strange he didn't, though stiff competition with Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino) and the movie itself had the unfortunate bad luck going up against Coppola's own The Godfather Part II that year. Still a great film that I've seen countless times. Oh, and Harrison Ford was creepy as all hell... 4.25/5
Old 04-28-19, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1900 (1976)

Bernardo Bertolucci's 5+ hour epic about the ~ 1900-1945 class struggles in Italy, told through the experiences of two childhood friends -- one the son of a prosperous landowner, the other the son of a peasant employed by the landowner. Picked this one up when I saw the cast included Robert De Niro, Gérard Depardieu, Donald Sutherland, and Burt Lancaster. Didn't care for it.
Old 04-28-19, 01:53 PM

The Bicycle Thief (aka Bicycle Thieves, 1948)

Re-watch of my favorite among Italian films I've seen. Amidst the extreme poverty following the end of WWII a man secures employment hanging posters, only to have his bicycle stolen in his first day on the job. Director Vittorio De Sica chose people with no previous acting experience for the main roles: a factory fitter who brought his son for an audition as the male lead; a journalist who interviewed De Sica for the female lead; and a child he noticed in a crowd for the role of their son.
Old 04-28-19, 02:06 PM

Quigley Down Under (1990)

An American sharpshooter (Tom Selleck) is hired by a villainous Aussie rancher (Alan Rickman). Aside from the magnificent outback scenery in Australia's Northern Territory this is pretty much a formulaic western. Trivia: apparently Navy SEAL snipers who saw the film began calling a shot that takes out two foe simultaneously "a Quigley".
Old 04-28-19, 02:09 PM

Pitch Black (2000), The Chronicles of Riddick (2004)

Watchable, but nothing in either that would make me want to re-watch.
Old 04-28-19, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
The Conversation (1974) — A great movie that resonates even more so today than even back then. Wonderful performance from Gene Hackman who deserved an Oscar nomination (strange he didn't, though stiff competition with Jack Nicholson and Al Pacino) and the movie itself had the unfortunate bad luck going up against Coppola's own The Godfather Part II that year. Still a great film that I've seen countless times. Oh, and Harrison Ford was creepy as all hell... 4.25/5
Gave it a low rating several years ago. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for a good drama -- will need to re-watch it someday.

Old 04-28-19, 03:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

rewatched scorsese's taxi driver (1976) and fincher's the girl with the dragon tattoo (2011)...

*i have not yet watched alvarez's the girl in the spider's web (2018) so i'm very much looking forward to thisdirector's different spin and his casting of a different actress in the lead
Old 04-28-19, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1
Gave it a low rating several years ago. Perhaps I wasn't in the mood for a good drama -- will need to re-watch it someday.
It's definitively a slow burn mystery-thriller.
Old 04-28-19, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Seduction (1982) — Entertaining enough erotic(ish)-thriller from the 1980s that probably is more notable for Morgan Fairchild's nude scenes than anything with the thinly stretched out story. Still, found it mildly amusing. 3.0/5
Old 04-28-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was not that bad though maybe Keanu was miscast though his acting improved a little towards the second half of the movie where he probably had less dialogue.

This still holds up after all these years and still cracks me up
Old 04-28-19, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Hstrybuff1
It's a great film, and one of Coppola's top achievements, but it definitely has its longueurs, such as the interminable party scene in Hackman's loft.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.