Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Last Movie You Watched Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Last Movie You Watched Thread

Man Hunt (1941)

I haven't seen many Fritz Lang films that weren't excellent. This is probably the only one I wouldn't rewatch from the 15-20 of his I've seen so far. I find that wartime movies did siuffer from too much good intentions and the war effort and all that. Not as much nuance as before since I guess they were part of the propaganda too. Here, a ridiculous plot has a world famous big-game hunter track pre-war Hitler to his summer house/HQ and take a fake shot at him (without bullets) just to prove he could do it. Of course he gets caught and things get blown out of proportions between german and british diplomats over the incident. Meanwhile the hunter escapes but Nazi police are on his trail to London...
Apart from the risable premisse, the London part of the film also has many nonsensical bits (like everyone the hero meets all over the city is an undercover german spy). Not a total dud but not worth the time.
Old 01-17-19, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Falling Down (1993)

Did not care too much for it when I'd seen it in the cinema when it came out but a second viewing made me appreciate it more. Robert Duvall has some nice moments - especially the last scene on the pier with the ever-lovely and talented Barbara Hershey - and the general buid-up is well played.
An ordinary guy blows his top psychologucally and will go on a rampage across LA, with increasing madness and violence, to get back to his ex-wife's and little girl for her birthday.
Old 01-17-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rory O'Shea Was Here (2004)

Nice comedy/drama about two heavily handicapped young men who try and live a 'normal' and dignify life but meet stubborness by the people who want to help them and say they know better and a reality-check when it comes to living on their own for real. Very funny at times and - of course - very moving at other moments. Reminded me of dutch film of a decade back about a group of handicapped youth who rent a van to go to Spain at this whorehouse where they want to lose their virginity to some hooker who supposedly does it with wheel-chair bound disabled men. Can't remember the tilte though...
Old 01-17-19, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Streetfighter (1994)

Had to suffer through this again since my son who likes the video game wanted to see it. Bad all over. Sad it was one of Raul Julia's last performances.
Old 01-17-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Land of the Lost (2009)

Not a big Ferrell fan but this was nice in a shallow kind of way. I know it bombed and critics dismissed it but we did have a good family time and a few laughs thoughout. Have never seen the series so can't judge if it was a rip off or a rape or what.
Old 01-17-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

La proie (2011)

Okay french thriller with Albert Dupontel (who's also a director of great films like 'Bernie' and 'Aurevoir là-haut') as an escaped con trying to find his little girl who's been abducted by supposedly wrongfully accused pedophile. A bunch of cops are after him but one nicer one suspects that he's been framed up by this whiter than white victim of a judiciary error.
Old 01-17-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sleepwalkers (1992)

Very average Stephen King adaptation about a group of men who have been imparted a gift of telepathy by an alien (disguised as a retarded boy) who get caught in the middle of a rival evil alien invasion. You need a lot of suspension of belief for this one!
Old 01-17-19, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Defiance (2008)

Not very well-made true story of Polish Jews who hid in the woods for years during WW2 and formed a resistance movement lead by 4 brothers. Too cold and biased to make it interesting.
Old 01-17-19, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 725 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerrobert69

Streetfighter (1994)

Had to suffer through this again since my son who likes the video game wanted to see it. Bad all over. Sad it was one of Raul Julia's last performances.
I fell asleep during that movie
Old 01-17-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anything with Gerard Butler is usually shit but this was ok but not great.
Old 01-18-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A money grab for Nolte or this is the best he can get?
Old 01-19-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Cobra
(1986)
— Second-rate action vehicle for Stallone had its moments but such a dumb plot (so a cult is trying eliminate the weak or something?) and just an all around terrible cop who chases down the bad guys... with his star witness and almost gets her killed! Worst. Cop. Ever. Still, there was some fun to be had but doesn't overcome the stupidity of it all. 2.25/5

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
— Fun comedy-crime film featuring three wonderful performances. Not quite as good as I remembered (went a bit long) but still really entertaining 80s flick. 3.75/5
Old 01-19-19, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Glass (2018)

Considering Unbreakable (2000) is my favorite M. Night Shyamalan film, this conclusion to the Trilogy is a bit disappointing.

The film has a few interesting ideas that never quite get fleshed out, which would have helped how emotionally vapid the entirety of the film feels.
Old 01-19-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Black Mirror: Bandersnatch (2018)

Not sure if I can even review this, considering the numerous endings available to the viewer.

Still, I thought the experience was fun and the particular ending I got was pretty hilarious/awesome.
Old 01-20-19, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Escape Room (2019)

Interesting rooms but filled with the standard Character Archetypes for these types of films.
Old 01-21-19, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman

Cobra
(1986)
— Second-rate action vehicle for Stallone had its moments but such a dumb plot (so a cult is trying eliminate the weak or something?) and just an all around terrible cop who chases down the bad guys... with his star witness and almost gets her killed! Worst. Cop. Ever. Still, there was some fun to be had but doesn't overcome the stupidity of it all. 2.25/5
I'm assuming this is the new Shout Factory release coming this week? How is the quality of it? Transfer and bonuses if you viewed them? I have the old WB BD release from 2011, which I paid under $10 for and I'm curious if this new release is worth it or not. I'm a little hard pressed to shell out $24-25 for not one of Stallone's better movies and more of a "guilty pleasure"
Old 01-21-19, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm assuming this is the new Shout Factory release coming this week? How is the quality of it? Transfer and bonuses if you viewed them? I have the old WB BD release from 2011, which I paid under $10 for and I'm curious if this new release is worth it or not. I'm a little hard pressed to shell out $24-25 for not one of Stallone's better movies and more of a "guilty pleasure"
I felt the transfer was good, though nothing entirely stunning, but it is taken from a scan at 2K resolution, so likely the best the movie will ever look. Here's a link to the screen caps I took: https://imgur.com/a/OvVaecD

As for the features, the new interviews with a few of the supporting actors was rather good, especially Brian Thompson who told some fun stories on set, including his displeasure of working for Cosmatos, and how he was more a de facto director, only when Stallone wasn't on set. All told, the interviews totaled around 82-minutes.

Last edited by TheMovieman; 01-21-19 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-21-19, 12:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

Avengers: Infinity War (3D)...just a near perfect superhero movie. loved it just as much as the first time i saw it and the 3D in this is just breathtaking. i love everything about this one and it is my #1 MCU movie thus far.
Old 01-21-19, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

It was better than I expected. I enjoyed it.
Old 01-21-19, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
(2011)
— Really enjoyed this crime-drama and although it's not one of Fincher's best, far from it as I place it well below Se7en, Zodiac, The Game and Gone Girl but probably on par with Fight Club (might be blasphemy to some), Panic Room and The Social Network. The direction was beautiful and did like Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara's performances. 3.75/5

The Girl in the Spider's Web (2018)
— Not as good as the first but I did like Claire Foy's performance as Lisbeth but the guy they got to replace Craig, Sverrir Gudnason, was so milk-toast. It also wasn't as strong of a story but all in all was still entertaining with some decent action. 3.25/5
Old 01-21-19, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shadows (1958)

Not a big fan of John Cassavetes although I respect what he tried to accomplish. Here in his first film, we get a preview of everything he did in latter films: improvisation, jazz music, artistic type characters with penchant for not fitting in, social concerns, NY city night life, etc.
Too dated for me with its almost university feel but has a certain artsy value I guess.
A young woman tries to be happy in her relationships with various men.
Old 01-21-19, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Time Machine (2002)

Total misfire. Non-interesting script and character. Some nice sets but they mostly look fake. The 1960 film isn't much better from memory.
Old 01-21-19, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

36 Hours (1964)

WW2 film started rather well with American prisonner in Truman Show-like set up to try and have him reveal vital info about D-Day. But once he gets wise to the thing, film goes onto a romantic/patriotic weaker route.
Old 01-21-19, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Danton (1983)

I had fonder memories of this. Now, decades later, the fact that more than half the cast playing important historical French revolutionnaries (like Robespierre, Saint-Just, etc) was polish certainly is strange. Given the director Wajda was himself from Poland I can understand but surely such a pivotal point of the history of France would have worked better with a french cast. Even Depardieu playing Danton seemed lost sometimes in scenes with non-french speaking actors.
The script is also too confusing and its sometimes hard to follow all the political shenanigans.
The story is basically a duel between two factions of the revolution two years into the new republic.
Old 01-21-19, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Strange Circus (2005)

Totally bizarre and ultimately unsatisfying japanese film about a writer who may or may not write about her past and her assistant who may or may not be her daughter turned boy. I don't mind weird but here, not enough explanations or resolution in strange subplots to feed our reflection.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.