Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hobbit: IMAX vs. 48fps

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Hobbit in IMAX or 48fps
IMAX
22.92%
48 fps
50.00%
You live close to BOTH of these formats? You suck.
27.08%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

The Hobbit: IMAX vs. 48fps

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-12, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Th Hobbit: IMAX vs. 48fps

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Yes, HFR 3D and Atmos. Only one in the state, apparently. A bit of a haul from my house, is Atmos worth it?
The Dolby Atmos trailer that played before the one film I've seen in Atmos (Brave) was far more effective. Personally, I've heard a lot more impressive 7.1 mixes in theaters (Step Up 3D, Sinister, etc). If there's a theater in a closer proximity playing the film in both HFR 3D and 7.1, that would be another ideal way to go.
Old 11-29-12, 08:14 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Hmm...but isn't Tyson's IMAX one of those fake ones? Or at least the ones that are retrofitted to be such.

Although I can't argue with the banana dance.
yeah... but at least it's three stories and the largest and best (IMO) IMAX-D screen in the DC metro area.

there's a rumor that the Bow Tie Reston 'specialty screen' screening will be 48fps and Atmos - but nothing's been confirmed ... yet (my fingers are crossed).
Old 11-29-12, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 470 Likes on 323 Posts

Is there a list of Atmos theaters?

Edit: Looks like this might be the most complete list:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer/...tml#3-Theatres
Old 11-30-12, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Hobbit wasnt filmed in Imax 15/70 24fps so seeing it in this theater would be moronic.

For whatever reason most people are not understanding that the LieMax Digital theaters will be playing The Hobbit in either regular 24fps 3D OR HFR 48fps 3D.

You can go to these two links on Imax.com or Fandango.com to find out which IMAX-Digital theater in your area has upgraded to play HFR 48fps 3D!

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/p...imax-theatres/

http://www.fandango.com/thehobbit:an.../movieoverview

Originally Posted by Giles
yeah... but at least it's three stories and the largest and best (IMO) IMAX-D screen in the DC metro area.
Well thats bullshit. The Imax-D screen in Silver Spring puts it to shame, but sadly will not be playing The Hobbit in 48fps.
Old 11-30-12, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

48. It has to be. I mean, it's the first film ever commercially released in this format and I've got to check it out.
Old 11-30-12, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lara Means
The Hobbit wasnt filmed in Imax 15/70 24fps so seeing it in this theater would be moronic.

For whatever reason most people are not understanding that the LieMax Digital theaters will be playing The Hobbit in either regular 24fps 3D OR HFR 48fps 3D.

You can go to these two links on Imax.com or Fandango.com to find out which IMAX-Digital theater in your area has upgraded to play HFR 48fps 3D!

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/p...imax-theatres/

http://www.fandango.com/thehobbit:an.../movieoverview

Well thats bullshit. The Imax-D screen in Silver Spring puts it to shame, but sadly will not be playing The Hobbit in 48fps.
in all honesty, I've not been over to the IMAX-D screen at Silver Spring due to the fact that it's Regal and it's pricing is highway robbery - not providing reduced matinee pricing on the IMAX-D screen is flat out dumb. Secondly since AMC stubs program is vastly superior to Regal's frequent attendance card - which does not honor it's own RPX, IMAX or even 3D screenings, I can and will apply my accrued $10 Stubz rewards towards the IMAX-D screening at Tysons making it only $2 out of pocket - Regal can suck it for all I care.
Old 11-30-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah... but at least it's three stories and the largest and best IMAX-D screen in the DC metro area.
in all honesty, I've not been over to the IMAX-D screen at Silver Spring.
Nice of you to admit you are full of shit. Go to all the IMAX screens in the D/M/V and then we'll talk.
Old 11-30-12, 03:28 PM

Nice of you to admit you are full of shit. Go to all the IMAX screens in the D/M/V and then we'll talk.
ouch... sheesh louise.
Old 11-30-12, 10:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Most movies aren't filmed in 15/70 but look and sound great in 15/70.
Old 11-30-12, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As someone who has been to a handful of digital IMAX auditoriums across the west coast, the only decent ones are those built originally for 15/70 IMAX. Or, in this case, most IMAX auditoriums built pre-2004 that have gone digital. Most of these auditoriums have already been upgraded to IMAX's rail system, so they can alternate between 15/70 and Digital. Any IMAX auditorium that originally used the MPX projection system are now all digital-only, meaning they originally looked like shit and continue to still look like shit.

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Most movies aren't filmed in 15/70 but look and sound great in 15/70.
Agree and disagree. Films shot on actual film have looked far superior in their IMAX presentation compared to those films shot natively in digital. Two cases in point: Speed Racer and Tron: Legacy. Sounded fantastic in IMAX, but the DLP presentations were far superior in terms of picture quality. However, The Hobbit is a different beast being shot natively in 4K, 3D, and 48fps.

EDIT: When Googling for when the MPX originally was introduced, Google introduced me to this fun (and recent) discussion on Blu-ray.com regarding large format and IMAX and after reading a few posts, I have literally gone retarded.

Last edited by Matthew Chmiel; 11-30-12 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-01-12, 12:33 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Hobbit: IMAX vs. 48fps

I saw Speed Racer in IMAX and digital and felt that the IMAX looked better because it did look like film, whereas the digital looked too synthetic. I saw Tron: Legacy once and that was more than enough.
Old 12-01-12, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tron Legacy is so fucking underrated. Anyway, that being said its was T:L that turned me into a imax-d true believer. I ended seeing the movie twice. First in a imax-d screen and next in a regular real d 3d screen. Ill never go back to that real d shit again unless its my only option. Imax-d was above and beyond in presentation.
Old 12-01-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I saw Speed Racer in IMAX and digital and felt that the IMAX looked better because it did look like film, whereas the digital looked too synthetic. I saw Tron: Legacy once and that was more than enough.
See, I think that's one of Speed Racer's strong points (and why the Blu-ray still ranks as one of the best transfers out there).

Tron Legacy is so fucking underrated. Anyway, that being said its was T:L that turned me into a imax-d true believer. I ended seeing the movie twice. First in a imax-d screen and next in a regular real d 3d screen. Ill never go back to that real d shit again unless its my only option. Imax-d was above and beyond in presentation.
I saw Tron: Legacy twice, once in IMAX 3D (15/70) and again in RealD. The IMAX presentation had too much ghosting which was unlike other IMAX 3D presentations I've seen prior (Avatar, Open Season, Superman Returns, etc) whereas that issue was non-existent in the DLP presentation.

To be fair, I've seen a lot digitally shot films look terrible in Digital IMAX as well. The Hunger Games looked like absolute shit in IMAX to the point that my wife, who would never "notice" such things, commented after the film on how awful it looked. The Amazing Spider-Man also looked pretty bad with the exception of the few minutes that was "optimized" for IMAX.
Old 12-01-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 449 Posts

No option for me either as I'll see it on Imax with HFR in the theater where I just got a job.
So also free for me.
Old 12-04-12, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I encourage everyone to go see the 48fps version, if only so you can see how FUCKING TERRIBLE it makes the movie look, for yourself. Then we can all go back to the 24fps that we've been enjoying for years and pretend this never happened
Old 12-04-12, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I encourage everyone to go see the 48fps version, if only so you can see how FUCKING TERRIBLE it makes the movie look, for yourself. Then we can all go back to the 24fps that we've been enjoying for years and pretend this never happened
That would be nice but I guarantee there will be a hundred schmucks on here singing it's praises from the hilltops even if they honestly think it looks like shit. It happens all the time.
Old 12-04-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,054 Likes on 835 Posts

Not really, most people around here tend to be pretty honest with their feelings in that regard. Can't think of many people that praise motion compensation on 240hz TVs.

They'll defend a shitty movie though.
Old 12-04-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,314 Likes on 957 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Read a review where the guy said it was distracting at first but was adjusting to it halfway through. He went back for a second viewing and the experience was much better. So there's that.
Old 12-04-12, 01:08 PM

Since it's an option not too far from me - Columbia MD AMC - I'm planning on seeing it in IMAX 3D (obviously "liemax" but Imax digital is still a step above most other theaters). No Atmos anywhere near here.
Old 12-04-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Strevlac
That would be nice but I guarantee there will be a hundred schmucks on here singing it's praises from the hilltops even if they honestly think it looks like shit. It happens all the time.
Yeah, everyone here just loves to lie about stuff
Old 12-04-12, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Of course we do! And NO ONE could POSSIBLY like HFR filmmaking. ANYONE who says they do is obviously lying.
Old 12-04-12, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 686 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Of course we do! And NO ONE could POSSIBLY like HFR filmmaking. ANYONE who says they do is obviously lying.
I... I don't hate motion interpolation. *runs and hides*
Old 12-04-12, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 12-04-12, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
So no one here ever rationalizes themselves into liking something? That never happens? You don't think any of those folks who "love" the Star Wars prequels don't really know, deep down, in their heart of hearts, that those movies completely suck?
Old 12-04-12, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by RoboDad
ROTFLOL the guy who raves about 99% of every piece of shit he's ever seen.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.