Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The One and Only Bruce Willis Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The One and Only Bruce Willis Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-23, 06:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: The One and Only Bruce Willis Thread

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So you'd be okay for his family to wheel him out so everyone can gawk at him looking confused. That's fucked up.
if only they would allow other people to attend the awards ceremony and accept it on his behalf. maybe someday they'll allow this practice to happen.

Old 03-12-23, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,100 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So you'd be okay for his family to wheel him out so everyone can gawk at him looking confused. That's fucked up.
Don't be afraid to read the whole post
I have no idea what Willis understands about his condition, so that is certainly a factor, but one to be explored by the Academy and his family.
Is he wheelchair bound? There was a photo of him taken a few months ago, standing up on his on two legs in front of a Christmas tree.

If he is not able to understand and appreciate what is happening, then I would not want him to make an appearance, but do we know that is the case? Do you have some insider knowledge of how lucid he is? Maybe attending the ceremony would not be good for him, but he could say something in a video. Do you know that he is unable to do that? I don't.

Why do you think the audience would "gawk at him?" I expect that if Bruce Willis appeared on the Oscar stage, the entire audience would leap to their feet and clap until their hands hurt.

Like I said, I have no idea what his mental status is, but it is never going to be better than it is right now. So if he were able to engage in the honor, I would have liked to see him receive it this year.
Old 03-19-23, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by whotony:
andicus (03-20-23), DJariya (03-19-23), RocShemp (03-20-23), Runaway (03-20-23)
Old 03-19-23, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Glad he looks happy and alert. I hope he stays that way as long as possible.

By the way, is he missing a tooth?
Old 03-20-23, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

What's with the scarf? Does he think he's a rock star or something? I remember his album. It wasn't that good.
Old 03-20-23, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket1312
What's with the scarf? Does he think he's a rock star or something? I remember his album. It wasn't that good.
AlbumS.
But your point is accurate.
Old 03-20-23, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

That sucks that Bruce left Rumer hanging on the high five.

But, good to see him in good spirits it seems. Even though he and Demi Moore are long divorced, it's nice that they are still friends after all these years.
Old 03-20-23, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe he thinks he won the Fields Medal for Mathematics?
Old 03-20-23, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

It’s probably comfy.
Old 03-21-23, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

He's almost 70. It probably keeps him warm.
Old 03-21-23, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk God

I know Willis' music career was kind of ridiculed, but I saw this pop up on Twitter on his B-Day. This performance was from 1987. It's pretty awesome.

The following users liked this post:
GoldenJCJ (03-21-23)
Old 03-21-23, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I'm watching Apex tonight as I rented it off of Vudu. I wanted to see it as it was referenced in the Red Letter Media Bruce Willis video.
Old 03-28-23, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Bruce Willis' final film unsurprisingly sucks according to Richard Roeper.

Sad that his long career ends on such a whimper.

Old 03-28-23, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Man, looking back over his filmography in hindsight, it seems obvious something was not right with Bruce for a long time. I’d have to go all the way back to 2012 when he made Looper and Moonrise Kingdom - 50 films ago!! - as the last time he turned in a quality performance. Not all of his movies after that we’re direct-to-video trash but his roles were diminished and his performances were mostly phoned in.
Old 03-28-23, 04:11 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure he knew something was brewing and just took every paycheck he could to pay for whatever treatments he might need, or to just set up his family forever.

I was definitely one of the people thinking why the fuck is Willis doing every direct to video shitfest offered to him, but when his illness came out it all made sense to me.
whotony (03-28-23)
Old 03-28-23, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 616 Likes on 454 Posts

As has been written in some of the articles about his condition, it seems like the filmmakers, and presumably his co-stars were often more in the loop than they could probably let on to the outside world. In some cases, I think his co-stars -- many of whom are DTV regulars themselves -- actually give above-average performances, perhaps to compensate for the fact that his participation was so limited, or to help carry him in scenes they shared with him. I just watched GASOLINE ALLEY last week from the library here, and it was forgettable, but not too bad. Willis is clearly just going through the motions – which undercuts a third-act twist involving his character that really requires more dialogue and a stronger performance than he was capable of delivering -- but Devon Sawa, Luke Wilson, Sufe Bradshaw, Kenny Wormald and a few of the smaller players really step up to fill the void. I've noticed that on a few others as well. Of course, there are plenty of others that are just unmitigated junk, with true hacks behind the camera cashing in on Willis' downslide.
Old 03-28-23, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
I'm sure he knew something was brewing and just took every paycheck he could to pay for whatever treatments he might need, or to just set up his family forever.

I was definitely one of the people thinking why the fuck is Willis doing every direct to video shitfest offered to him, but when his illness came out it all made sense to me.
Bruce Willis had already earned five times the money that he and his current wife, his ex-wife, all his children, and all his grandchildren would ever need, twenty years ago. Unless his secret hobby was standing in his backyard and compulsively lighting $100 bills on fire, Willis hasn't needed a single one of these DTV paychecks from the last ten years.
Old 03-28-23, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
Bruce Willis had already earned five times the money that he and his current wife, his ex-wife, all his children, and all his grandchildren would ever need, twenty years ago. Unless his secret hobby was standing in his backyard and compulsively lighting $100 bills on fire, Willis hasn't needed a single one of these DTV paychecks from the last ten years.
He was cashing $1 million paychecks for each of those Direct-to-video movies and only spent a few days filming each. For someone who knows he’s likely to never work again, that’s pretty tempting. Just counting the shitty movies over the last 10 years or so that’s like $40 million. Not bad for a few months of work.
Old 03-28-23, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
He was cashing $1 million paychecks for each of those Direct-to-video movies and only spent a few days filming each. For someone who knows he’s likely to never work again, that’s pretty tempting. Just counting the shitty movies over the last 10 years or so that’s like $40 million. Not bad for a few months of work.
None of what you said is untrue, and none of what you said has anything to do with Willis or his family needing the money.
Old 03-28-23, 07:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

I never said his family NEEDED the money.

But if you are dying, and can make serious cash for doing nothing, and it just all goes to the coffers for his family, I'm not sure anyone who would turn that down.
Old 03-28-23, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku

How do you know what he needs financially, healthcare wise or otherwise?
TGM (03-28-23)
Old 03-28-23, 07:48 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Bruce is just a treasure. Die Hard is iconic. You knew his talent way back to Moonlighting. He had that something. It’s sad with what he and family are going through. Both my grandparents had dementia. Much older, but still sad. I hope he sticks around some more years and it’s not as degenerative as many cases are.
Old 03-28-23, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TGM
I never said his family NEEDED the money.

But if you are dying, and can make serious cash for doing nothing, and it just all goes to the coffers for his family, I'm not sure anyone who would turn that down.
This what you said:
​​​​​​​What's that four letter word in there that starts with N and ends with D?
Old 03-28-23, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
How do you know what he needs financially, healthcare wise or otherwise?
I've never been to China, but I know it exists.

I have not examined Bruce Willis' financial records, but I know he has been paid ten times what the average American earns IN A LIFETIME for making just ONE of his movies.

And I know that the health care system in the US is a fuck show, but I am 100% certain that Bruce Willis has the best health insurance coverage that money can buy, and even if he didn't have any insurance, he has (y'know) the tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens and tens of millions of dollars that he has earned for (y'know) being one of the biggest movie stars in the world for a couple decades.

I know it's fun to argue by pretending to be clueless, but we don't have to do that here, do we?
Old 03-29-23, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Maybe it wasn't about the money for Bruce. I know a lot of people who value working, and continued to do so, even when the work they were capable of doing was beneath that of their glory days. I suppose you could argue that work was meaningless, and they should have just taken that time for themselves, but I think that was too hard for them to do. They wanted to feel productive, because that was what they were used to. Isn't the common thought that people are more likely to die after they retire? Maybe these movies were Bruce Willis' way of "rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.