Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Ugh - I much prefer thinking that sifo-dyas was sidious. Read some wiki stuff about the "real" sifo-dyas and it's even more convoluted that any PT plot-line. Including the blood of a frozen syfo-dias being injected into General Greivous... Not sure what is canon and what's not, but yeesh.
Old 08-30-15, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
Ugh - I much prefer thinking that sifo-dyas was sidious. Read some wiki stuff about the "real" sifo-dyas and it's even more convoluted that any PT plot-line. Including the blood of a frozen syfo-dias being injected into General Greivous... Not sure what is canon and what's not, but yeesh.
Not sure where you read that, as I couldn't find that, but most of the articles on Wookiepedia are now broken into two Tabs, "Canon" and "Legends".

"Canon" is the movies, the two animated series, and the new in continuity novels and comic books that have been made since Disney took over.

"Legends" is the old EU stuff which is no longer in continuity.

The Sifo-Dyas article I linked goes directly to the Canon tab.

And personally, I don't mind that Sifo-Dyas was a real person, it was plainly stated as such in AOTC, but I prefer to think that Sidious killed him and then used his name in placing the order for the clone army. It just makes more sense with what we already know.
Old 08-30-15, 03:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is that you making sense of bad plotting/continuity or just what?
Old 08-30-15, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

How many of you have your Jedi robes ready for the midnight release of the toys on the fourth? Or all of those members already in line?
Old 08-30-15, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stvn1974
How many of you have your Jedi robes ready for the midnight release of the toys on the fourth? Or all of those members already in line?
I live in a pretty crappy part of town so I won't be camping out for 9 hours. I've decided instead to hit up my local Target around 9pm and see if there's a line, if not I will gladly hang around til midnight.
Old 08-30-15, 06:17 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Not sure where you read that, as I couldn't find that, but most of the articles on Wookiepedia are now broken into two Tabs, "Canon" and "Legends".

"Canon" is the movies, the two animated series, and the new in continuity novels and comic books that have been made since Disney took over.

"Legends" is the old EU stuff which is no longer in continuity.

The Sifo-Dyas article I linked goes directly to the Canon tab.

And personally, I don't mind that Sifo-Dyas was a real person, it was plainly stated as such in AOTC, but I prefer to think that Sidious killed him and then used his name in placing the order for the clone army. It just makes more sense with what we already know.
yeah, it was wookiepedia, but i was on my phone, didn't notice the Canon and legends tab. That grievous stuff was Legends, thank god. But still, i'd rather have kept it simple and been sidious. If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebra.
Old 08-30-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

No robe but I think I'll check it out. I only have the option of Walmart and Target (not sure if the local Target is participating in the midnight launch for Force Friday though) to check out. Luckily they're close by each other so I can go to both and plus Walmart here is open twenty-four hours. Not sure if I'll get anything though since Hot Toys is doing a reveal for Force Friday too which would probably interest me more.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-31-15 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-30-15, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

I was out at midnight for Episode I, and despite the fact that I'm super excited for film, I have zero interest in doing that again. Even if I wanted all that stuff, I have nowhere to put it. I'll probably browse one day over the weekend, but unless I fall in love with something and want to put it on my desk, not likely to buy anything.
Old 08-30-15, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Where I'm at it probably won't be too busy so that's the main reason I'll probably check it out. Living in a smaller town has advantages at times.
Old 08-30-15, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

My buddy has already rented out a theater at The Alama Draft House for the premiere. It is is forth wedding anniversary so they decided to do that for friends instead of fly to California. I am pretty stoked.
Old 08-30-15, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Pass.
Old 08-30-15, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will check out the midnight launch and probably grab a few figures - they are having some Force Friday celebrations at Fan Expo Canada in Toronto that runs sept 3-6 - my ticket includes a Force Awakens lunchbox that I'm looking forward to.

Already found a Kylo Ren Force Awakens Throw blanket at Walmart tonight so I'm already getting my Force Awakens Merch whoring on
Old 08-30-15, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson
My buddy has already rented out a theater at The Alama Draft House for the premiere. It is is forth wedding anniversary so they decided to do that for friends instead of fly to California. I am pretty stoked.
So if I don't get tickets the first day I know who to blame.
Old 08-31-15, 02:50 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T Hudson
Damn. Where can I find friends like these? None of my friends' wives would ever allow them to pull off some shit like this.
Old 08-31-15, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So how soon will tickets actually go on sale for December, cannot recall how soon in advance I was able to buy tickets for the PT.
Old 08-31-15, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
An interesting thing about the OT is how simple the whole thing is. There is very little plot to it. ANH, ESB, and ROTJ can have their plots described in single, brief paragraphs.

A farmboy named Luke Skywalker comes across two droids who are carrying hidden plans for an evil Empire's battlestation. This leads him to an old hermit, who is secretly a knight of a lost order, and they join up with a smuggler to rescue a princess from the Empire's battlestation. After the princess is rescued, Luke joins up with her rebel alliance and destroys the battle station.

By contrast, the prequels are extremely plot heavy and are filled with people sitting on sofas discussing philosophy and negotiating politics. They are plot-heavy, and pretty much the opposite of the simple, straight-forward OT. Almost all of the politics took place off-screen; the OT was a very intimate story that only hinted at bigger things.

It makes me wonder if the prequels weren't a lost cause from the beginning. By 1999 the original fanbase had grown up, had been digesting dozens of novels and comics and video games that expanded the universe beyond the original three films. Everyone was expecting bigger, better, faster, louder, and they got it. More plot. More action. Bigger special effects. How would audiences have reacted to a prequel trilogy that was more in line with the tone of the OT? Simpler, and more intimate? No CGI-enhanced lightsabre duels, no space battles with dozens of ships onscreen at any given second, scenes that took place without a million things happening in the background? Sounds better, but would have walked away wanting more?

Given this, I wonder what the sequel trilogy will be like? A smaller, more straightforward tale like the OT? Or a dense plot like the PT? A happy medium between the two?
The difference between the 2 trilogies can be summed up in one line uttered in ANH. Tarkin mentioned that the Emperor dissolved the senate in a throw away line. We didn't know what the senate was at that point and we didn't care. We just knew that the local governors would keep the systems in line, whatever that meant. In the PT that wouldn't have been an underlying plot point for a whole movie.

They were just written so differently that it's hard to picture them as parts of a whole when they don't even seem like they go together.
Old 08-31-15, 08:17 AM

I think I bought Avengers tickets on March 11. I think that was a day or two after they went on sale. So maybe 6-7 weeks before December 18th.
Old 08-31-15, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read somewhere advance tickets go on sale October 9.

As for Force Friday, there's a TRU and Target right next to each other down the street from my house so I'll go for the community experience if not for anything else. Maybe a Poe Dameron X-Wing lego if they still have it by the time I get in the store.
Old 08-31-15, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

My biggest worry about buying advance tickets is that there was a rumor going around for a while that they were going to open it in IMAX early (on Wednesday instead of Friday). Not that I don't plan to see it more than once, but I'd hate to drop $15 on an IMAX ticket for what I thought was going to be the "first" showing, and then discover they moved the premiere back a couple of days.
Old 08-31-15, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This may or may not spoil some things about certain characters.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6plXGDtM67o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-31-15, 12:55 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
My biggest worry about buying advance tickets is that there was a rumor going around for a while that they were going to open it in IMAX early (on Wednesday instead of Friday). Not that I don't plan to see it more than once, but I'd hate to drop $15 on an IMAX ticket for what I thought was going to be the "first" showing, and then discover they moved the premiere back a couple of days.
if an earlier showtime comes up, just get that ticket and get a refund on the other ticket when you go to the showing.
Old 08-31-15, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Has anybody seen/bought the Empire magazine yet? I've been to 2 B&N and neither had it on their shelves.
Old 08-31-15, 02:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
This may or may not spoil some things about certain characters.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/6plXGDtM67o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
What do you think it spoiled?

Spoiler:
Kylo Ren chasing and killing BB8?

The people who make a commercial most likely haven't seen the movie or read the script. That scene was most likely just made up entirely by the commercial people for the commercial. It is basically fan-fiction.
Old 09-02-15, 08:51 AM

I stopped by Wal Mart this morning just curious if anything leaked out. There were a couple of marketing material style card board stand ups for a Stormtrooper and Kylo Ren. In the action figure aisle they had a cheap style light saber on a few pegs. And next to those was a surprisingly small empty area for figures.

And adult hot wheel collector was asking the manager if they were ready for Force Friday. The manager said " Yeah we don't expect it to do very well. The last one didn't do anything. This is just a remake anyway."

Ah well, my anecdotal tale. Thought it was funny. I will be out Friday to buy a couple of BB-8 toys. Maybe a shirt. My action figure completist days are long since over.
Old 09-02-15, 08:58 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I stopped by Wal Mart this morning just curious if anything leaked out. There were a couple of marketing material style card board stand ups for a Stormtrooper and Kylo Ren. In the action figure aisle they had a cheap style light saber on a few pegs. And next to those was a surprisingly small empty area for figures.

And adult hot wheel collector was asking the manager if they were ready for Force Friday. The manager said " Yeah we don't expect it to do very well. The last one didn't do anything. This is just a remake anyway."

Ah well, my anecdotal tale. Thought it was funny. I will be out Friday to buy a couple of BB-8 toys. Maybe a shirt. My action figure completist days are long since over.
The manager thinks The Force Awakens is a remake of the original Star Wars? Is the lack of a VII in the official title confusing people?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.