Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-15, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Disney has 4 billion reasons why George can piss off.
Old 12-02-15, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 987 Likes on 696 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

You guys are reaching. There are literally 3 quotes about the new movie in the article taken completely out of context. You can't read the tone in his voice. You have no idea what the actual line of questioning was, and again, what do you want him to say? He reiterates that he's fine with the decision to step away and that it was his decision. Maybe if we could see the actual transcript of the interview we would have a better idea of how he really feels. Otherwise it's just this (totally understandable) desire of fans to fit him into some sort of narrative surrounding the new movie.
Old 12-02-15, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't seen anything new from Lucas talking about it since that first teaser. But from what the way it reads, basing on what he says from whoever posts it here, it does sound like he's kind of bitter that SW is getting the kind of crazy as fuck love that it had before the PT films released.

I would be jealous too. He fucked up 3 films that will never be anywhere near as loved as the OT. Add in that they're barely mediocre. Went to sell it... and a big SW fanboy is directing now... and he's making them in the production vein of the old ones.. and people LOVE it already. And applaud it for not being anything remotely like you previously did w/ the franchise.

He can try to word it how he wants but I think his failures have finally come realized to him maybe.

But then... he's kind of hard to read at times.

<iframe width="660" height="415" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YhhACgJJkc4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't want to believe that he's that blind to see how he didn't fuck up cuz that's illogical but then he defends them so well too. Still defends the whole "Han shooting" thing w/ some post development BS reason of making Han not as dickish/seedy/negative for the overall. I don't give a fuck about SW, not a fan of the franchise... but as a narrative element? Han shooting first adds so much more to the character than making him a reactionary for that scene. Han took control of that situation.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 12-02-15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 09:03 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

He knows it, despite his whole "I never look at the Internet, read emails, etc" bullshit. He knows. And he's still trying to convince everyone how characters like Ja-Ja were part of his experimenting or whatever the hell he thinks. Like that one interview where he said he liked Jar-Jar the most. I just don't buy any of that garbage. He's pissed and jealous at the possibility Episodes VII-IX will be held in much higher regard than his last offerings. The anthology movies will probably be much better as well.
Old 12-02-15, 09:19 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

While I don't disagree with you guys I must point out that none of us have seen the new movie yet. It could be a turd worse than Phantom Menace. I'm just not willing to have this conversation until I've seen the film.
Old 12-02-15, 09:25 AM
Banned by request

Very true. We were fooled a few times before.
Old 12-02-15, 09:45 AM
Banned

That can be true. But.... there's no fucking way w/ that kind of crew on it. That it could go near PT quality? Fuck. That's just bad.
Old 12-02-15, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
While I don't disagree with you guys I must point out that none of us have seen the new movie yet. It could be a turd worse than Phantom Menace. I'm just not willing to have this conversation until I've seen the film.
I have thought about this alot, and I think the only thing that could bring down TFA is it ends up being such a ridiculous story with this Kylo Ren guy, and ends up as a bad EU novel/fan fiction. But I think the execution will be better then the PT, in terms of having Kasdan writing the screenplay and JJ using more practical effects and definetly not gearing it for the kids like TPM was.

I think the biggest problem with the PT wasn't the story, but the execution by Lucas because it was a bad screenplay/dialogue and his bad directing of actors. Lucas actually writes interesting stories, its just putting it altogether and crafting a great film is what lacks in the PT.
Old 12-02-15, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

The story could be pure shit but it will look better on the screen and the effects will hold up much better than the prequels the RotJ. People may hate it but they'll respect it which isn't something that TPM ever had.
Old 12-02-15, 10:50 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
That can be true. But.... there's no fucking way w/ that kind of crew on it. That it could go near PT quality? Fuck. That's just bad.
What crew? Oh you mean the StarTrek crew.

Like I said the jury is still out...very out. I see no reason to be optimistic in a world full of Crystal Skulls and Mission Impossible sequels and Super 8.
Old 12-02-15, 10:56 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

What do any of those movies have to do with Star Wars, aside from Super 8 (which was pretty good)?
Old 12-02-15, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

blah, blah, blah. Can't wait for this flick to hit so you guys will have something new to talk about but..............I have a feeling you guys will still be stacking shit on top of Lucas regardless.
Old 12-02-15, 11:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brack
What do any of those movies have to do with Star Wars, aside from Super 8 (which was pretty good)?
Let's see:

There's old Harrison Ford
Forgettable JJ Abrams helmed sequel
An unremarkable franchise reboot
And an attempted pastiche of '80s adventure films

This is like the 12 days of mediocrity. Any one else have some entries?

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-02-15 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-02-15, 11:25 AM
Banned

Let's see:

There's old Harrison Ford
Forgettable JJ Abrams helmed sequels
An unremarkable franchise reboot
And an attempted pastiche of '80s adventure films

This is like the 12 days of mediocrity. Any one else have some entries?
Uhm... Ford is still a good actor.

MI franchise did amazingly w/ getting Abrams on MI3. Add in... a great casting for Hoffman. That franchise really needs a villain worth a damn cuz Hoffman is the best one so far.

Also Star Trek was pretty dead before they got Abrams. He actually made it a viable property of sorts again.

And Super 8 worked for me. I thought it was good.
Old 12-02-15, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Uhm... Ford is still a good actor.

MI franchise did amazingly w/ getting Abrams on MI3. Add in... a great casting for Hoffman. That franchise really needs a villain worth a damn cuz Hoffman is the best one so far.

Also Star Trek was pretty dead before they got Abrams. He actually made it a viable property of sorts again.

And Super 8 worked for me. I thought it was good.
It's true. All of it. (Sorry, I couldn't resist)
Old 12-02-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have reservations about the film but JJ Abrams is not one of them. Think I'll go and watch Cloverfield again.
Old 12-02-15, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

What crew? Oh you mean the StarTrek crew.

Like I said the jury is still out...very out. I see no reason to be optimistic in a world full of Crystal Skulls and Mission Impossible sequels and Super 8.
Star Trek >>> PT... just sayin

Edit: Super 8 , Crystal Skull, MI sequels >> PT
Old 12-02-15, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shits I've taken >> PT
Old 12-02-15, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Shazam
Shits I've taken >> PT
The Phantom Pooper?
Old 12-02-15, 11:56 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
blah, blah, blah. Can't wait for this flick to hit so you guys will have something new to talk about but..............I have a feeling you guys will still be stacking shit on top of Lucas regardless.
If TFA is well received by the fans then I think Lucas will get even more crap because fans will say, "If only Disney bought Lucasfilm in 1994, the PT could have been so much better....."

If TFA and the ST overall is hated like the Prequels, then I think Lucas will sort of get a pass for the PT. It will be a testament to how great the OT was, and in the end nothing was going to ever duplicate them no matter who was helming the ship.

Lucas should be rooting for TFA to fail.
Old 12-02-15, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rob V
Star Trek >>> PT... just sayin

Edit: Super 8 , Crystal Skull, MI sequels >> PT
That's damning with faint praise.
Old 12-02-15, 02:34 PM

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/f...151202?page=15

Old 12-02-15, 06:05 PM
Banned by request

Fucking meth.
Old 12-02-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Not that this is the type of movie that is known for getting major awards, but will this have screenings in enough time to be eligible or Golden Globes? I've never fully understood how those nominations are decided, as they seem pretty random compared to the Oscars.
Old 12-02-15, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Knowing the Globes, they'd probably nominate it in the Musical or Comedy category anyway...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.