Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fisher

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-14, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

I figured the guy in the snow was Adam Driver's character...but who knows?

I can't believe we're having this Clonetrooper/Stormtrooper debate. It's been pretty well-established that stormtroopers in the OT are NOT Clonetroopers. They just re-established that in an episode of REBELS, where Ezra is in training to become a stormtrooper (he's undercover, of course).
Old 12-01-14, 03:15 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Star Wars: Episode VII - The Force Awakens (2015, D: Abrams) S: Hamill, Ford, Fis

to all of you trisaber opponents... the first time you see that guy plunge one of those side bad-boys into the eye socket of an attacker you will be creaming your Yoda onesies.
Old 12-01-14, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
If one thing settles it its the fact that Lucas thought to redub Boba Fett's lines in Empire to match Jango Fett but he didn't do the same with any stormtrooper dialogue.
By the time of Episodes IV-VI, the clones were no longer used as troopers. Stormtroopers were cadets from "the Academy" that Luke wanted to attend. The troopers of that era have no connection to Jango and would not have his voice.
Old 12-01-14, 03:19 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
By the time of Episodes IV-VI, the clones were no longer used as troopers. Stormtroopers were cadets from "the Academy" that Luke wanted to attend.
correct. although doesn't explain why one would hit his head on the door frame exactly the same way Jango did.
Old 12-01-14, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Cuz it's a friggen in-joke. No more. No less.
Old 12-01-14, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

BTW, a lot of speculation here. Just because someone is in a uniform, doesn't mean they are that.

Luke & Han were not really stormtroopers in IV, and Lando and Leia were not actual bounty hunters in VI.
Old 12-01-14, 03:26 PM

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
to all of you trisaber opponents... the first time you see that guy plunge one of those side bad-boys into the eye socket of an attacker you will be creaming your Yoda onesies.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iY2XhHtKhoE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-01-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by joe_b
They should have just put an actual metal hilt under the mini-sabers to prevent your hand from accidentally getting sliced off.
Why? Jedis are way too coordinated and in tune to their surroundings to ever let a silly accident like that happen to them. But it would look cooler if the sides were at more of an angle, like a "W".
Old 12-01-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by slop101
But it would look cooler if the sides were at more of an angle, like a "W".
Old 12-01-14, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Man, that just makes me think that they need to get Bobby Digital in one of these movies as a Jedi.
Old 12-01-14, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
... so at most it's proof that Tie Fighter pilots aren't clones.
Of course they aren't Clones. We all know Stormtroopers are white guys and TIE Fighter pilots are black guys.

The Empire can't use black guys as Stormtroopers because they always die first. Wait, that might be horror films ...

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
yeah, the two coming out the side each have their own mini-handle...almost like mini lightsabers coming out the side
Wait till everybody finds out the (alleged) Sith in the trailer is actually three little Ewoks standing on eachother's shoulders. During a fight they all scatter and the Tri-saber splits into three mini lightsabers. *mind blown*

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I figured the guy in the snow was Adam Driver's character...but who knows?.
It is definitely Adam Driver. Here is how we know ... He is wearing black. Black = Morgan Freeman. Morgan Freeman was Miss Daisy's driver. Daisy somebody-or-other plays the protagonist, so her driver - Adam Driver - must be the antagonist!

Why? Jedis are way too coordinated and in tune to their surroundings to ever let a silly accident like that happen to them. But it would look cooler if the sides were at more of an angle, like a "W".
That might work ...
Old 12-01-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Old 12-01-14, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Of course they aren't Clones. We all know Stormtroopers are white guys and TIE Fighter pilots are black guys.

The Empire can't use black guys as Stormtroopers because they always die first. Wait, that might be horror films ...
Hey, the Tie Fighter pilots were a lot more competent than stormtroopers. Making them ground troops might be an improvement.
Old 12-01-14, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
No, it does not. It just means there is a minimum height requirement, like a rollercoaster. You must be this tall to ride.
If one wanted to argue that the stormtroopers are clones, then the fact that Luke is too short absolutely supports that argument.
Old 12-01-14, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I don't believe for one minute that Lucas has the clone aspect worked out when he made but first film .
Old 12-01-14, 04:41 PM

Received 1,926 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
Hey, the Tie Fighter pilots were a lot more competent than stormtroopers. Making them ground troops might be an improvement.
Old 12-01-14, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
They just re-established that in an episode of REBELS, where Ezra is in training to become a stormtrooper (he's undercover, of course).
I don't think the audience for that animated series is nearly as big as the audience for the movies.

Originally Posted by TGM
correct. although doesn't explain why one would hit his head on the door frame exactly the same way Jango did.
Coincidence? Just because two people bump their heads similarly doesn't mean there is any relation between them. I have bumped my head in some pretty stupid situations as well. Does that make me a Jango clone too?

Really I think all it means is that visibility in both the helmets probably isn't very good. They probably lack peripheral vision.
Old 12-01-14, 04:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
If one wanted to argue that the stormtroopers are clones, then the fact that Luke is too short absolutely supports that argument.
No, it does not at all.

Did you completely ignore the rollercoaster comparison? Is everyone who rides a rollercoaster the exact same height? Are all rollercoaster riders clones? No and no.

Rollercoasters just have a minimum height requirement. That's all the "too short" comment likely means. Soldiers have a minimum height requirement to enlist. Wasn't that one thing Steve Rogers got docked for was that he was a scrawny little midget dude until they turned him into Captain America?

Just because Luke is "too short" doesn't mean that the stormtroopers are clones at all. They can have varying heights, just not "too short" heights.
Old 12-01-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by story
They were being shot at while performing a precision flying maneuver. Messing up in such circumstances is hardly a sign of incompetence.

Only three Rebel fighters survived the Battle of Yavin, and we know two of them were damaged. The only reason the Rebels won was because Luke was strong with the Force. That's far better than you can say about the stormtroopers.
Old 12-01-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Old 12-01-14, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Isn't there already a hilt there? I admit I haven't nerded out over this, but it looks like he's basically holding a metal cross by the long end, with a metal crosspiece that the smaller blades are jutting out of.
A hilt/guard under the smaller blades:
Originally Posted by @chillmage
Why? Jedis are way too coordinated and in tune to their surroundings to ever let a silly accident like that happen to them.
I suppose it would be a good test for a potential Sith: "If you can't twirl this weapon without slicing your hand off at the wrist, you're not fit to wield the power of the DARKSIDE!"
Old 12-01-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-01-14, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 988 Likes on 697 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
No, it does not at all.

Did you completely ignore the rollercoaster comparison? Is everyone who rides a rollercoaster the exact same height? Are all rollercoaster riders clones? No and no.

Rollercoasters just have a minimum height requirement. That's all the "too short" comment likely means. Soldiers have a minimum height requirement to enlist. Wasn't that one thing Steve Rogers got docked for was that he was a scrawny little midget dude until they turned him into Captain America?

Just because Luke is "too short" doesn't mean that the stormtroopers are clones at all. They can have varying heights, just not "too short" heights.
I made it perfectly clear in my initial response to you that I believe the comment referred to Luke's relative scrawniness and not clones. But if I were to make the argument that they were clones, the "short" line would be part of said argument. Taken on its own, it can easily be read that way. I don't see why that's such a difficult concept to grasp.
Old 12-01-14, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-01-14, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I made it perfectly clear in my initial response to you that I believe the comment referred to Luke's relative scrawniness and not clones. But if I were to make the argument that they were clones, the "short" line would be part of said argument. Taken on its own, it can easily be read that way. I don't see why that's such a difficult concept to grasp.
It's evidently a difficult concept for you to grasp. What part of a minimum height requirement do you not understand?

Absolutely nothing about Leia's "too short" comment would imply that the troopers are clones. It just means there is a minimum height to be a trooper.

Suppose for example that the minimum height is 5'7". A 5'7" person could be a trooper. A 6'2" person could be a trooper. A 7' person could be a trooper. However, a 5'5" person is too short. He doesn't meet the minimum height requirement.

NOTHING about Leia's comment implies that the troopers are all the same height (like clones would be). It just implies that there is a minimum height requirement. Luke doesn't meet the minimum height requirement apparently.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Reminds me of a Japanese roleplaying game where the protagonist always has a sword that's three times bigger than his body.

Last edited by taffer; 12-01-14 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.