Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

who is the next PT Anderson

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

who is the next PT Anderson

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: who is the next PT Anderson

Originally Posted by bootsy
This PTA love is a little too much. This is a borderline cringeworthy thread. He's a very good director but he isn't THAT good to have a thread where no director compares to him. He has a good resume but he isn't the best thing going right now. He's had one movie(TWBB) that I really loved but outside of that nothing that I would qualify as movies that are masterpieces. He's a good director with plenty of room to grow for greatness, let's leave it at that for now.
Especially when he has yet to make an original film (right now he is in Malick/Kubrick copying phase, ten years ago he was in the Scorsese/Altman copying phase). All his projects start out as "I want to make a film like ____" . He adds a melodramatic twist to them, but he is not an artist the way the masters are, whose work begins and end from their imagination.

His work also doesn't have real maturity. All the F-words and screaming scenes just take away from the big picture. As for who is the next American directing star? No one. The Hollywood system just isn't designed to allow this kind of art-filmmaking anymore. Film is dead as they say.
Old 08-08-12, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'm still waiting for Paul Thomas Anderson to become Paul Thomas Anderson. So far every one of his movies have felt like "Paul Thomas Anderson does his version of [insert director here]." Even Punch Drunk Love and There Will Be Blood, his two best and most mature films, are PTA doing Godard and Kubrick, respectively. I'm quite excited for the day we see a PTA film that's in his own voice completely.
Exactly, I think the new generation of film watchers have emerged who haven't seen a lot, so PTA is their first experience with art film.
Old 08-08-12, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by CloverClover
He adds a melodramatic twist to them, but he is not an artist the way the masters are, whose work begins and end from their imagination.
Unless you consider people like Mauritz Stiller and Griffith and Sjostrom the only "masters" of film, then you're deluding yourself here. Pretty much every filmmaker who has made a film in the past 90 years was heavily influenced by another filmmaker - and that includes the "greats" like John Ford and Bergman and Kurosawa and Welles and Ozu and Renoir and Hitchcock (and certainly the masters of the French New Wave and of New Hollywood and so on.) Yes, they each eventually developed their own unique style - but that style wasn't entirely derived "from their own imaginations."
Right now he is in the Malick/Kubrick copying phase
Oh give me a break. I don't even love either of his two most recent films (his only two great films, in my opinion, are Boogie Nights and Magnolia - and yes, both are heavily influenced by Scorsese and Altman, and no I don't think that detracts from their greatness since he brings his own unique voice to both films) but you're selling them way short if you think they're merely "copying" either Malick or Kubrick. They show those influences, yes - just as many of Kurosawa's films clearly show the influence of Ford - but they're pretty uniquely his own films.
Old 08-08-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CloverClover
Exactly, I think the new generation of film watchers have emerged who haven't seen a lot, so PTA is their first experience with art film.
Offense taken I guess because I like all kinds of cinema but I like PTA too. Shocker, I know.
Old 08-08-12, 08:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Bro, you've been talking shit. Mad shit.
So have others in this thread,

Bro

including you,

Bro
Old 08-09-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Wow. What a steaming pile of shit this thread became.

Remind me never to get on bootsy's bad side.
Old 08-09-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 08-09-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by thematahara

(I was wondering who else here would make that connection.)
Old 08-09-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

PTA Jr.
Old 08-10-12, 08:45 AM

wow i didn't expect this thread to last lol I appreciate everyone's opinion