Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-12, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by kefrank
I think Dragon Tattoo's explanation about the Bat is bonkers.
Well, it's the explanation, whether you like it or not.
Old 07-25-12, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I don't think that's made clear. It would seem strange for it not to be communicated at some point between the two of them, though if that communication isn't shown, we just don't know. It doesn't really matter though. I think Dragon Tattoo's explanation about the Bat is bonkers.
It makes me wonder if that conversation was filmed, but cut for pacing reasons. At the risk of unleashing more of the ire of our friendly neighborhood Nolan disciples, it would seem like sloppy script-writing to leave it out. But on the other hand, it could make sense to film it and then later cut it. Things were moving at quite a clip during that portion of the film, and stopping for an expository conversation might have been too abrupt.
Old 07-25-12, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
We got that you know what 'evidently' means, but apparently you have trouble with the difference between 'explanation' and 'assumption'.
Old 07-25-12, 03:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I notice you still haven't explained how you somehow leapfrogged to this startling conclusion.
This is especially hilarious considering your massive leapfrogged conclusion that Wayne managed to communicate with an air vehicle designed for urban flight on the other side of the world and have said vehicle fly to India, then back into Gotham.
Old 07-25-12, 03:46 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Who says he was on the other side of the world? You people have obviously never been to Schenectady...
...I can't even pronounce that.
Old 07-25-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Kevin Smith's longform discussion/review of Dark Knight Rises:

http://smodcast.com/channels/fatman-on-batman/

I recommend checking it out. He has the same quibbles we all do, but he does a better job capturing the moments that resonated on an emotional level than I've seen elsewhere. The ones that stuck out for him are the last moments between Gordon and Batman and the last scene with Alfred, which is where I *might* have gotten a little bit glassy eyed.

He does spend the first 5-10 minutes discussing the Colorado shooting...so fair warning on that.
Old 07-25-12, 04:19 PM
Banned

Question on that...how annoying does he get? I like Smith..but sometimes..he gets too annoying and I just tune out.
Old 07-25-12, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 342 Likes on 231 Posts

Even if we completely ignore the implausibility of an aircraft with that design flying across the world, "the" explanation still doesn't make sense. What you're saying is that Bruce took the time to procure an "Arab/Indian terrain camo cover" so that he could use it to hide the Bat on the rooftops of Gotham City once he got back. Here are a few of my questions about this explanation:

1. Did Bruce think Gotham City had "Arab/Indian terrain" (especially in the winter)?
2. Time was of the essence. Given all of Bruce's connections, was his quickest exit really waiting for the Bat to fly halfway across the world to pick him up?
3. Why would Nolan tip off the audience to the fact that the autopilot on the Bat was functional, when he subsequently goes to great lengths to conceal that in order to maximize the emotional impact of the climax?
Old 07-25-12, 04:25 PM
Banned

Yeah. For someone who really pays attention to details....seems like he made some up along the way. It's Bruce fucking Wayne. Rich or not...I'm sure he has connections somehow that are of greater convenience to him...which is not the Bat. I don't need a shot of him getting into Gotham. He's the Batman. I'm sure he has his methods.
Old 07-25-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even if we completely ignore the implausibility of an aircraft with that design flying across the world, "the" explanation still doesn't make sense. What you're saying is that Bruce took the time to procure an "Arab/Indian terrain camo cover" so that he could use it to hide the Bat on the rooftops of Gotham City once he got back. Here are a few of my questions about this explanation:

1. Did Bruce think Gotham City had "Arab/Indian terrain" (especially in the winter)?
2. Time was of the essence. Given all of Bruce's connections, was his quickest exit really waiting for the Bat to fly halfway across the world to pick him up?
3. Why would Nolan tip off the audience to the fact that the autopilot on the Bat was functional, when he subsequently goes to great lengths to conceal that in order to maximize the emotional impact of the climax?
And why would he need the camo at all in India if all the Bat did was fly there to pick him up?
Old 07-25-12, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This thread is a mess.

All of the answers...which is to say mostly non-answers:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dark-...ons-32070.html

The Dark Knight Rises is plenty long without adding in an extended sequence of how Bruce Wayne hitches rides on goat trucks in Albania, does some itinerant farming to earn his keep on some Czech farm, hops into the cargo section of an airplane in Frankfurt and finally sneaks his way across the last remaining bridge leading to Gotham, all in order to surprise Commissioner Gordon out on the ice. He gets from point A to point B; do you really need the details?
And my personal favorite:

“He’s fucking Batman. He figured it out.”
Old 07-25-12, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goat3001
And why would he need the camo at all in India if all the Bat did was fly there to pick him up?
So that we could know he was in India? I don't know, man. It's Wayne. He's got connections for sure. He somehow got into Gotham..and I'm cool w/ that. I don't need to see him get in. His return was set up and again for the emotion it's trying to bring a sacrifice of visual action. Something this film does and it brings flaws but it also gets you to objective w/ greater purpose. Just one of those things....I say uncomfortably.
Old 07-25-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 342 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by chess
This thread is a mess.

All of the answers...which is to say mostly non-answers:

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Dark-...ons-32070.html

And my personal favorite:
And that's pretty much the view that most of us here hold...except for Dragon Tattoo. The movie gives no indication of how he got back and it doesn't really need to.
Old 07-25-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

I don't remember this much nitpicking when Avengers came out. Then again, Avengers was directed by Joss FUCKING Whedon!

/sarcasm
Old 07-25-12, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Question on that...how annoying does he get? I like [Kevin] Smith..but sometimes..he gets too annoying and I just tune out.
He doesn't seem particularly stoned, if that's what you mean. He's pretty focused.

I unsubscribed from most of his podcasts for the same reason, but I thought this was a good listen.

Skip to the 15:00 mark...maybe even 20:00

Last edited by chess; 07-25-12 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-25-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So that we could know he was in India? I don't know, man. It's Wayne. He's got connections for sure. He somehow got into Gotham..and I'm cool w/ that. I don't need to see him get in. His return was set up and again for the emotion it's trying to bring a sacrifice of visual action. Something this film does and it brings flaws but it also gets you to objective w/ greater purpose. Just one of those things....I say uncomfortably.
People are lazy. They want an extra 45 minutes of exposition, because if it would have been longer, these same people would be complaining that the film was too long.

Haters will simply hate.
Old 07-25-12, 04:37 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I don't remember this much nitpicking when Avengers came out. Then again, Avengers was directed by Joss FUCKING Whedon!

/sarcasm
I'd say there are way more people here that unreasonably hate Joss Whedon than unreasonably hate Christopher Nolan.
Old 07-25-12, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get me wrong, I don't care how he got back to Gotham. It has no bearing on the story and for all we know a montage of him getting back was cut out.

I just wanted to help point out how stupid Dragon Tattoos assumption is.
Old 07-25-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I'd say there are way more people here that unreasonably hate Joss Whedon than unreasonably hate Christopher Nolan.

I like them both, but Nolan is by far a better director. Joss Whedon is a better writer than director, though. Nolan is also a better writer in terms of his non-Batman stuff.
Old 07-25-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

People are lazy. They want an extra 45 minutes of exposition, because if it would have been longer, these same people would be complaining that the film was too long.

Haters will simply hate.
I didn't like how he jumped from one place to another, but it doesn't mean I want 45 minutes of exposition or that I hate the movie
Old 07-25-12, 04:40 PM
Banned by request

Sure, Nolan is a better director, although Whedon does a great job with actors.
Old 07-25-12, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I didn't like how he jumped from one place to another, but it doesn't mean I want 45 minutes of exposition or that I hate the movie
It's all in the edits and this one has lots of sharp edits that one has to pay attention too in order to get the passage of time and how it's moving forward, etc...

There's the one scene right before he has the Ra's Ahl Ghul vision where he gets punched in the back to put the vertebrae in place, he screams, and then it cuts to him hanging there passed out on the rope. There's no way to say how long he was hanging there on that rope before he saw the vision, but it's there in the edit. The same with Bruce getting back to Gotham. It could have been minutes, hours, or days.

Editing is an art form, as well.
Old 07-25-12, 04:43 PM
Banned

/sarcasm
awwwwwww shit.

Originally Posted by chess
He doesn't seem particularly stoned, if that's what you mean. He's pretty focused.

I unsubscribed from most of his podcasts for the same reason, but I thought this was a good listen.
Alright. I'll give it a listen.

Haters will simply hate.
I would like to know though..in this Batman world where that pit was and Bane's ethnicity and etc. But again...those are needless..those are just details I like to enjoy for the sake of more...they're not needed in the grand scheme. My only major gripe is probably Blake figuring out Bats' identity and Wayne's lack of well..hiding that. I understand the logic but...I wouldn't mind some type of detective work on Blake's part...just something more for me to believe it better. Again..it's a thing that was sacrificed to bring emotion to the big picuture. Still a fucking great ride.
Old 07-25-12, 04:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goat3001

I just wanted to help point out how stupid Dragon Tattoos assumption is.
You've yet to actually do that.

Anyway, I have my explanation. You who reject it can just accept the plot-point as unexplained or continue fumbling in the dark for all I care.
Old 07-25-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only one who doesn't have him on ignore?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.