Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
18.48%
29.35%
26.09%
12.68%
5.80%
3.99%
0.72%
0%
0.36%
0.72%
0%
The Dark Knight Fails!
1.81%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I thought it was because there was some type of plague going around at the time. The guy telling the story to Bruce explains this.
Yep.
Old 07-23-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
And people keep saying there are no memorable lines in TDKR? Enough with the Joker fanboyism. There are tons.

Spoiler:
"Speak of the Devil..."

"And he shall appear."

"You're evil..."

"A necessary evil."
Both of those lines are LITERALLY cliches.
Old 07-23-12, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
The implication was extremely strong, with Bruce leaving the goodies to Blake and the repaired bat signal as a means to call him. Regardless, by the time Bruce was Blake's age, he'd been training for years, with at least one extremely talented fighter who submitted him to a brutal regimen. Unless Batman starts using guns, I can't see Blake having much of a chance.
I still think it would be weird for Gotham to have a Batman back after memorializing him with a statue, after his supposed 'death' that a lot of Gothamites witnessed.
Old 07-23-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I still think it would be weird for Gotham to have a Batman back after memorializing him with a statue, after his supposed 'death' that a lot of Gothamites witnessed.
Thats why he'll be Robin/Nightwing instead!
Old 07-23-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
So is using the word "literally" in such a manner.
Old 07-23-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
So is using the word "literally" in such a manner.
No it's not, because I'm not saying "those lines are so unoriginal."

If there's a big book of cliched sayings both of those would LITERALLY be contained therein. They are actual clichés.

Also my iPhone just decided to do that accent in that last instance and I'm gonna go with it.
Old 07-23-12, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, okay.

Old 07-23-12, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
That's why I was hoping his real name was going to be Jean-Paul.
Old 07-23-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
He can't be "Robin," because that's his REAL name. He'll become Batman.
Old 07-23-12, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, okay.
So "speak of the devil and he'll appear" isn't a saying people have been using for decades, if not centuries? The Nolan brothers thought it up?

Yeah, okay.
Old 07-23-12, 01:18 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand 'the pit'
Spoiler:
Ok there were no guards? Everyone who wanted, had a shot to climb out? Why didn't they make a grappling hook with the rope? Spikes into the wall to climb? I saw the movie twice and there were wobbly metal railing near the guys yelling 'rise' that they could have pulled out to make metal spikes or bend into hooks. The whole lack of evil in THE PIT was sad. No dark evil cannibalistic bad guys, just a bunch of lugs trying to climb out once in awhile. Always jumping instead of throwing a rope.
Old 07-23-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

He can't be "Robin," because that's his REAL name. He'll become Batman.
Ooops, I forgot to add a sarcasm tag.
Old 07-23-12, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So "speak of the devil and he'll appear" isn't a saying people have been using for decades, if not centuries? The Nolan brothers thought it up?

Yeah, okay.

In that context? So you're saying that in DK every single line the Joker spewed was original? You're confusing original with memorable. I made reference to the latter, but you're choosing to nitpick it in a different matter.
Old 07-23-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Save Ferris
I don't understand 'the pit'
Spoiler:
Ok there were no guards? Everyone who wanted, had a shot to climb out? Why didn't they make a grappling hook with the rope? Spikes into the wall to climb? I saw the movie twice and there were wobbly metal railing near the guys yelling 'rise' that they could have pulled out to make metal spikes or bend into hooks. The whole lack of evil in THE PIT was sad. No dark evil cannibalistic bad guys, just a bunch of lugs trying to climb out once in awhile. Always jumping instead of throwing a rope.

Right. Hope was always there, but they were never able to leverage their ideas for escape. That and most were old and decrepit. Maybe these other guys in the pit will take a note from Bruce's playbook and make the jump? Of course, if they don't use the rope and they fall, then they're fucked.
Old 07-23-12, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well Bruce gave them the rope to escape, so they should all be able to get out. The huge muscular dude who kept giving Bruce the rope should have been able to try before that though.
Old 07-23-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well Bruce gave them the rope to escape, so they should all be able to get out. The huge muscular dude who kept giving Bruce the rope should have been able to try before that though.
Likes I said, climbing is one thing, but if they don't make the jump, they're toast. That's a pretty big jump.
Old 07-23-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Give 'em enough rope...

(writing is easy)
Old 07-23-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wait but I thought the rope outside was attached to something, such that they could all escape if one of them were to get out. It was a separate rope outside the pit.
Old 07-23-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Give 'em enough rope...

(writing is easy)

It sure is. Go ahead and write the sequel.

(hating is easier)
Old 07-23-12, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spoiler:
"Ah, theatricality and deception. Powerful agents to the uninitiated. But we ARE initiated, aren't we Bruce?"

Loved that line right before he hits the lights.
Yeah, everything he said in that scene was awesome. I love Batman's yelling and struggling. Bane looking badass climbing down the chain (I'm assuming that was Buster). Bane's grunts and etc. And no music. Just great stuff.

Originally Posted by Groucho
One thing my wife pointed out...if they wanted to hide the fact that the kid climbing out of the well was a girl, why did they cast a recognizable actress?
To you. I've never seen her. I knew it was a girl though cuz of this place though.

Fuck that. The guy who failed being the Bat? That'd get so much hatred from fans.

I dunno..he was a big dude. I'd fail doing that jump and I'm pretty athletic and probably about 50-70lbs lighter than that guy.
Old 07-23-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Fair enough. Nothing in the movie suggests it, but it doesn't rule it out either, so that's as good an explanation as any. Though, I'm not convinced the writers thought it that far through given some of the other issues.
I'm fairly certain that the Nolan brothers thought it through. If their past movies are any indication, they think things through too much and make things unnecessarily intricate at times - and then they simultaneously give the audience too much credit and not enough. What I mean by that is that everything is explainable if you pay attention to the right details, but some of those details are so minute in the midst of the woven complexity that almost everyone is bound to miss something. And then they feel the need to overexplain some things with clunky explanatory dialog, but they can't do that with everything.

It was a ridiculous stretch to believe, within the universe Nolan created, that a magic doctor-punch and a couple months of primitive 'rehab' healed Bruce to the point that he could walk, let alone climb out of the well jail.
This would be the case if the movie was more clear on Bruce's injuries, but it doesn't offer that. He gets pummeled pretty badly by Bane and clearly suffers some sort of debilitating back injury, but not much else is made clear. I'm not saying that section of the movie didn't require some suspension of disbelief, but in Nolan's universe, the "realistic" damage that could be done by Bane dropping an armored Batman on his knee seems fairly commensurate with a few months of rehab. While that part of the movie was obviously a nod to Knightfall, we have to be careful not to apply details from the comic that aren't actually expressed in the movie.

It's even more ridiculous to think Bane planned it that way. Bane's torture of Bruce was supposed to be watching the citizens of the city tear each other apart thinking they can save themselves at the expense of others, while he can do nothing but lay there. This is explicitly explained, and the villains did a piss poor job executing it. It was implied they were going to pit the wealthy against the poor and leave one bridge open with the military guarding it, so that the government would be forced to gun down fleeing citizens. Instead, all that either got cut or never happened. People basically just had to obey the world's strictest curfew while a bunch of criminals distributed food to them, took out their trash, kept the power and water running, etc.
Others have already addressed this stuff by now, so I don't really have anything to add to their replies.

The implication was extremely strong, with Bruce leaving the goodies to Blake and the repaired bat signal as a means to call him. Regardless, by the time Bruce was Blake's age, he'd been training for years, with at least one extremely talented fighter who submitted him to a brutal regimen. Unless Batman starts using guns, I can't see Blake having much of a chance.
I think you're again making a lot of assumptions and inferences. The repaired bat signal was letting Gordon know that Bruce survived - not necessarily that he should start using it immediately. We don't really know exactly what training Blake has had up to this point. Recall that he grew up in the rough boy's home and at a minimum, has had police training for hand-to-hand combat. He certainly seemed to be able to hold his own when given the chance in the movie. He hasn't necessarily had the extensive martial arts and League of Shadows training that Bruce has had, but he's not starting from zero like the privileged heir to the Wayne fortune was. I agree that there are open questions about how he can really become Batman, but as I said in a previous post, getting too caught up in assumed answers to those questions is over-thinking it and missing the point.

Last edited by kefrank; 07-23-12 at 01:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-12, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Marion Cottilard is stunning in this movie. I had never seen her in anything before.
Old 07-23-12, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Marion Cottilard is stunning in this movie. I had never seen her in anything before.

Check her out in:

Inception
Contagion
Public Enemies
La Vie En Rose
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It sure is. Go ahead and write the sequel.

(hating is easier)
Well that just went right over your head.
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember thinking this but I had to google it. The mouth of the pit is so ridiculously close--If he had an extra rope with a bent hook he could have climbed out instead of jump. Ugh.
Spoiler:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.