Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Revisiting Ridley Scott's Films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Revisiting Ridley Scott's Films

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts
Re: Revisiting Ridley Scott's Films

I'm a big fan of Black Rain. Great movie.

Of course, Alien and Blade Runner are phenomenal films, and they really made his reputation.

American Gangster is pretty good, and I like the DC of Gladiator a lot. Prometheus is good, but not as good as it should have been.

I don't think I've seen the rest of his movies.
Old 06-13-12, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, I liked American Gangster well enough when I first watched it, but: a) I remember very little of what I liked, and b) I haven't felt the urge to return to the material.

The Duellists, on the other hand, is fantastic. Among my five favorite Scott films, a list that will look fairly similar to others in the thread.
Old 06-16-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089469/

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kOxViR7eCuM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First time watching this movie and I liked it a lot. This is the most visually stunning films I've seen in a long time. It feels like a fairy tale geared towards Adults and intended to scare kids. Reading IMDB review the theatrical cut was heavily butchered and the Director's cut is completely different and Is Scott's true version. Now I'm curious to see the Theatrical version just to see what was changed.
Old 06-16-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I've always liked Legend. I remember that it got hammered with bad reviews when it came out, but I thought that despite its overly simple plot, it was visually amazing to watch and, looking back now, a bit ahead of its time given that Fantasy Films are more accepted nowadays. And Ridley Scott visually rising above the scripts he has to work with is also now recognized as something he does quite often.

Although the Director's Cut is the best version of Legend, I still think the U.S. Theatrical Cut is decent because, for a short version, it doesn't really change much of importance in the story. I think the main difference is the music, which is better in the Director's Cut with Jerry Goldsmith's solid score, but I'm even OK with the Tangerine Dream score in the U.S. version (however, I am a TD fan and someone who isn't may just hate the music in this version).
Old 06-16-12, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Finally watched The Duellists today and really enjoyed it. Though I'm not sure I'd be able to identify it as the work of Scott if I didn't kow he made it.

Would love to see this one on Blu-ray.
Old 06-16-12, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Legend is all sorts of under-appreciated.
Old 06-17-12, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Legend doesn't quite click for me. Some gorgeous visuals - I love the set designs - and a few striking scenes, but there's something lacking in it that I can't put my finger on. The elements are there, but they just don't come together to make a compelling story.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
No love for Matchstick Men?
I think it's an overlooked gem.
Old 06-17-12, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the problem with Legend is that the journey to get to Darkness is completely boring. If you were to cut out the portion between Jack meeting the gang and when they enter the lair and fight in the kitchen, you wouldn't miss much.
Old 06-17-12, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Legend is definitely something that grows on you. It actually makes me wish that Ridley Scott would go back to the fantasy genre for at least one more movie like he did with sci-fi. However, since this was not a financial success, I doubt he sees the reason to do such.

While I admit the DC of Legend is the superior version, I was so used to the regular version with the TD score that the new one sounded kind of weird. Hell, I'll admit to having the ST to Legend , makes for a good playlist mix with Blade Runner.
Old 06-19-12, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 286 Likes on 182 Posts

One of the best directors of our time. Love many of his films, including Alien, Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, Matchstick Men, American Gangster, and (gasp!) Prometheus. Hannibal was entertaining, if nothing else. I admittedly didn't like Legend.
Old 06-19-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
While I admit the DC of Legend is the superior version, I was so used to the regular version with the TD score that the new one sounded kind of weird. Hell, I'll admit to having the ST to Legend , makes for a good playlist mix with Blade Runner.
Agreed. As much as I'd like the DC to be my go-to version, TD's score is just too awesome, and it's etched into my mind as the definitive soundtrack.
Old 06-21-12, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094008/

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ErFGGccIfkc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was my first time watching this film and boy what a piece of crap. To go from great films Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, and Legend, to this cliched by the numbers movie was so disappointing. The plot has been done to death. I was thinking maybe Scott would add a twist to the story that would make it stand out but no. You can tell he was just doing this one for a quick buck.
Old 06-28-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096933/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/95-bc1DZovg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I loved this Film! It almost felt like Ridley was trying to be like his brother Tony with all the big chase and action scenes. The look of the film reminded me of Blade Runner when they arrive in Japan.

I liked all of the characters except for that chick from Temple Of Doom. Horrible actress. My favorite character was Douglas's partner.
Old 06-29-12, 12:43 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It seems Scott's 80s output was him at his most visionary.
Old 06-29-12, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Ken Takakura was a brillaint casting choice, given his legacy in Yakuza cinema. This is honestly one of my favorite Scott films, even though it has a few clunky moments.
Old 06-29-12, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

^ Agreed, Takakura is great and he was also good in the other film I've seen him, The Yakuza.

Yeah, this is a top favorite of mine; it's the buddy cop genre with some class to it.

I really liked the music by Hans Zimmer and Ryuchi Sakamoto's Laser Man, played when Douglas is in the nightclub.
Old 06-29-12, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the music in Black Rain - gives me goosebumps. But what a horrendous trailer! It gives away several key twists while generating no momentum or anticipation to see the flick. Shockingly bad stuff.
Old 07-07-12, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103074/

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PRr0HY9MPZ0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Just watched this for the first time. You can tell right away It's a Scottt film with how beautiful the movie looks. The American landscape is captured perfectly throughout. It does seem like an odd choice for Ridley Scott to Direct this as one would think a feminist director made this movie due to the story premise.
Not better than Black Rain but much better than Someone to watch over me.
Old 07-07-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
What about Legend. His fantastical trilogy, Alien, Blade Runner, Legend. He should stop with the historical and go more fantastical.
Agreed.

Legend is underrated if wildly uneven. Sure Tom Cruise is miscast, the dialogue suffers, but the production design, Alex Thomson's cinematography, the makeup and matte work, Tim Curry and both scores (Goldsmith/Tangerine Dream) are fantastic as well as the Jon Anderson/Bryan Ferry contributions. Mia Sara never looked more beautiful.