Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 84th Academy Awards --> 2012 Awards Show Discussion

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The 84th Academy Awards --> 2012 Awards Show Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The 84th Academy Awards --> 2012 Awards Show Discussion

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I think they need to cut out some awards from the broadcast. Definitely still give the people awards but we really don't need to see sound mixing, sound editing, the short films awards, costume design, or art direction.

Off the top of my head they should keep the following:

Best Picture/Director
Best/Supporting Actor/Actress
Original/Adapted Screenplay
Best Animated/Foreign/Documentary
Visual Effects
Editing
Cinematography

That's it.
So why does something like art direction or costume design not make the cut, but cinematography and visual effects are okay?
Old 02-27-12, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 316 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Brent L
I'm just saying give it a shot, I'm not really debating anything here, that's all. It certainly isn't just "a silent film" just to be wacky and have a silent film all these years later for no reason. Unfortunately, that is what most people think and don't even bother to look at it.
Agreed. There seems to be this perception among people who haven't seen the film that it's getting most of its acclaim because of the "silent film gimmick" and the fact that it is a send-up to classic hollywood so only film geeks like it. The reality is that most of its acclaim is earned by being a really engaging, well-executed movie that also happens to have the above stuff going for it.
Old 02-27-12, 03:56 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I know a lot of people who work in various areas of the film industry, and they all work their asses off. They should get their chance to shine, too. A ton of awards are already relegated to the non-televised technical awards. Seems silly to reduce the Oscars to even less televised categories, or cut speeches for people who do win. Cut the interstitial stuff instead.
Old 02-27-12, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Hugo and The Artist won 5 awards each. The Iron Lady won 2. Everything else won less than 2. Therefore, by my count The Iron Lady won the second-highest number of Oscars this year after the two movies that tied for first place.
I do not think that word means what you think it means. After first comes second. When two people tie for first, the next place is third. That was the point.
Old 02-27-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Also I'm scratching my head when several times throughout this thread, cinematography has been considered a "minor" or a purely technical award. On a forum dedicated to movies that's just baffling.
Old 02-27-12, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
So why does something like art direction or costume design not make the cut, but cinematography and visual effects are okay?
Cinematography is more important to a film than costume design or art direction. Visual effects should stay because usually crappy movies that the masses love get nominated so it should stay for the ratings.
Old 02-27-12, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I know a lot of people who work in various areas of the film industry, and they all work their asses off. They should get their chance to shine, too. A ton of awards are already relegated to the non-televised technical awards. Seems silly to reduce the Oscars to even less televised categories, or cut speeches for people who do win. Cut the interstitial stuff instead.
Yeah, all that crap they put in, all to have stupid shit that fails every year so some producer can feel important about 'their' Oscar show.

I've seen 'O' and 'Mystere', and they're amazing, but I don't need Cirque at the Oscars. They all talk up the importance of film, but silly sideshows dominate the runtime, and they cut off winners after 30 seconds during one of their most important moments of recognition.
Old 02-27-12, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Cinematography is more important to a film than costume design or art direction.
I don't think you realize how ignorant you're coming off when you say something like that.
Old 02-27-12, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad "The Artist" won Oscar for best picture. If anything to show people that you don't need 3D, color or even talking to make a great film. Its the little subtleties in movement and expression that connect us not the flashiness. I only wish more people would look at silent films of the past, hell I wish I had seen more silent films.
Old 02-27-12, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't see them cutting many awards from the broadcast. The acting awards are presented by the previous year's winners, and Best Picture is usually someone with a big stature within the industry. If you cut too many of the others, there won't be enough presenter slots for the likes of Will Ferrell, Emma Stone, or Jennifer Lopez.
Old 02-27-12, 04:25 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
Glad "The Artist" won Oscar for best picture. If anything to show people that you don't need 3D, color or even talking to make a great film. Its the little subtleties in movement and expression that connect us not the flashiness. I only wish more people would look at silent films of the past, hell I wish I had seen more silent films.
If The Artist gets more people to see films by Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Melies, Fritz Lang, Murnau, Eisenstein, etc., then great. I'm glad it won. However, if its sole contribution to our culture is "Look at that cute silent movie in 2012," then fuck it.
Old 02-27-12, 04:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
If you cut too many of the others, there won't be enough presenter slots for the likes of Will Ferrell, Emma Stone, or Jennifer Lopez.
You say that like it's a bad thing.
Old 02-27-12, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Emma Stone was good, but I hope they don't bring Will Ferrell back again.
Old 02-27-12, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
I don't think you realize how ignorant you're coming off when you say something like that.
It's just my opinion. I weigh it higher than costume design and art direction. Even though I actually worked in the art department on a few projects, I still think cinematography is more important. And I'm not saying to not give them awards, I'm just saying not to broadcast it.
Old 02-27-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I feel in the minority in that I really don't mind the length of the show. Heck, I wish it was longer. As a film fan, some extra time devoted to remembering older titles, celebrating classic movie stars, allowing winners to thank those important to them and reflect on their experiences in the industry, etc. are a good thing.
Old 02-27-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anyone know what movie that piece of music was from, that played right at the end of the governors ball montage? I've always had that theme in my head for years, but can't remember what movie it's from.
Old 02-27-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wish they would just start the ceremony an hour earlier. I have no issue with fours hours of show, if it's enaging.
Old 02-27-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Yeti4623
Does anyone know what movie that piece of music was from, that played right at the end of the governors ball montage? I've always had that theme in my head for years, but can't remember what movie it's from.
I loved the music they played during the ending.
Old 02-27-12, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Emma Stone was good, but I hope they don't bring Will Ferrell back again.
How tall is Ben Stiller? Emma towered over him.
Old 02-27-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't believe that they've relegated the lifetime achievement and the Jean Hersholt humanitarian awards to the non-televised event. Those were always my favorites growing up. It's a shame that those aren't given their due, but we get to watch an acrobatics display or drag queen comedy bit instead. Kind of shameful, actually.
Old 02-27-12, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tDscwMnSxvY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

After the Oscars, channel 7 left a camera going.
Old 02-27-12, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I remember the year that they had winners accept their awards at their seat, as well as had nominees on the stage when a winner in a 'smaller' catergory was announced. It was tacky.

There are ways to keep the show on time while giving nominees/winners their due. Cut the corny comedy bits that amuses no one, for starters. And stop having the presenters tell jokes! Most of them can't do it and it becomes awkward, as well as a time killer. Just say a few nice things about the category and move on.
Old 02-27-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 484 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
I feel in the minority in that I really don't mind the length of the show. Heck, I wish it was longer. As a film fan, some extra time devoted to remembering older titles, celebrating classic movie stars, allowing winners to thank those important to them and reflect on their experiences in the industry, etc. are a good thing.
Agree. I love very bit of the Oscars; all the montages, dance routines and silly presentor bits. It's only once a year. I've been watching since 1992 and have never once felt the show was going too long. I want it to go on all night.

Maybe I'm overly sensitive, but I'm astounded they let the Fred Willard monkey joke get through. Don't get me wrong, I laughed, but I thought it was a really shocking joke.

Later on, I realized it was the perfect racist joke, in that if called on it you could always say the line was meant to be taken at face value, and you are the one with the dirty mind for reading into it.

Spoiler:
for those who don't recall, it was during the old time focus group sketech. LBM says next week they'll be watching GONE WITH THE WIND. Fred Willard says, "I hope it has monkeys in it." Cut to shot of LBM looking uncomfortable.
Old 02-27-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^I think you're reaching with the racism angle. Willard's character just couldn't get past how much he loved flying monkeys, period.
Old 02-27-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I saw dump the awards that deal with movies pretty much noone has seen. Best Forign Film, Documentary or Short Film. How many people have actually seen those? They'll probably keep Forign Film to get the ratings from other countries.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.