Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) S: Serkis, Oldman, Russell, Clarke

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) S: Serkis, Oldman, Russell, Clarke

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-14, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 206 Likes on 159 Posts
Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) S: Serkis, Oldman, Russell, Clarke

Battle comes across as a quick wrap-up . I am still confused about the ending

Spoiler:
John Huston in an orangotaun mask seems to indicate that all turned out well and we see a statue of Caesar beginning to cry as humans and apes appear to now live in peace. I don't know if that meant Caesar averted the future encountered by Taylor or not.
Old 07-07-14, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It is confusing, it sort of wants to fit in with the existing mythology while still having a happy ending. Apparently Dehn's script was rewritten pretty heavily, and since he'd crafted the whole thing previously, maybe he planned a different ending? I don't know the whole story. Apparently Fox cut the budget to hell too, and that really shows, it looks way cheaper than the other films.
Old 07-07-14, 11:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Reeves, 2014) S: Serkis, Oldman, Russell, Clarke

Battle and Beneath are the worst. The first is the best (obviously), and the third and fourth are both very good.
Old 07-08-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Battle and Beneath are the worst. The first is the best (obviously), and the third and fourth are both very good.
Whoa! You and I just agreed on something again! This is surreal! But yeah, I think you're right. The second feels a little too pulpy and occasionally cheesy. The third has a nice lighthearted satirical edge with some darker undertones, and the fourth in incredibly dark and surprisingly effective. The fifth feels way too jumbled, wanting to follow through on the mythology and still have a happy ending, and it doesn't really work. Obviously, the first is the best.
Old 07-09-14, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
The only one I think is bad is "Battle"

"Beneath" has problems but the good outweighs the bad and it has a great pessimistic ending.
Old 07-09-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Beneath's "psychos who worship a bomb and make other people kill each other" metaphor is a bit on the nose, but some of the sets are interesting, and the design for the mutants is effectively spooky.
Old 07-09-14, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beneath is horrible and silly and has long, boring stretches, but the underground mutant civilization is cool. That's the sort of thing I love in cheesy sci-fi movies.

And if nothing else, without Beneath, Leela's backstory in Futurama would've been very different.
Old 07-09-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dawn is posting a strong 97% RT rating with 33 reviews so far. I know it's against the Oscar rules, but I'd love to see this get a BP nomination, assuming the movie matches all the praise. Some of the reviews say it's one of the best of the year and it should be a big hit. District 9 even managed a BP nomination.
Old 07-09-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

It really isn't against Oscar rules ever since the Lord of the Rings movies.
Old 07-10-14, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does Battle have a happy ending?

Spoiler:
Caesar's son is dead, the apes sacred law is broken..but they will attempt to live in peace.. cut to the future...the Lawgiver is asked "who knows about the future?" To which he replies "Perhaps only the dead" Pan to Caesar's statue that is weeping.

That is not a happy ending.
Old 07-10-14, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Got my ticket to see this Sunday night. Can't wait.
Old 07-10-14, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
It really isn't against Oscar rules ever since the Lord of the Rings movies.
Or the first Star Wars or 2001.
Old 07-10-14, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hasslein
How does Battle have a happy ending?

Spoiler:
Caesar's son is dead, the apes sacred law is broken..but they will attempt to live in peace.. cut to the future...the Lawgiver is asked "who knows about the future?" To which he replies "Perhaps only the dead" Pan to Caesar's statue that is weeping.

That is not a happy ending.
It's ambiguous at best. It's clearly enough in the future to suggest that humans and apes worked everything out. But a lot could still happen. However,

Spoiler:
it also sets up the mutant race with the bomb being revealed but not launched.
Old 07-10-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,199 Likes on 923 Posts

Seeing this tonight!
Old 07-10-14, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Dawn is posting a strong 97% RT rating with 33 reviews so far. I know it's against the Oscar rules, but I'd love to see this get a BP nomination, assuming the movie matches all the praise.
Not since there's 10 nominations now.