Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-14, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It has some really good Spielberg set pieces, but the screenplay was phoned in. It's a textbook summer movie where nothing has has been thought out beyond the special effects and action sequences.
Old 03-18-14, 12:46 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts
Re: Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow) S: Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/...jurassic-world

Writer-director Colin Trevorrow is about to head to Hawaii to start work on his second feature film – namely the Jurassic Park sequel Jurassic World.

Before he commences principal photography however, the Safety Not Guaranteed director granted IGN an interview to discuss some of the rumours that have been swirling around the project, and to announce one unexpected but actually pretty logical piece of casting news...

IGN: Writing and directing a Jurassic Park movie is a pretty big step-up from Safety Not Guaranteed in terms of scope and scale. What’s been the biggest challenge thus far?

Colin Trevorrow: Getting the script right was the tough part. There are a hundred different ways to tell any story, finding the right one takes persistence. Jurassic Park movies don’t fit into a specific genre. They’re sci-fi adventures that also have to be funny, emotional and scary as hell. That takes a lot of construction, but it can’t feel designed. The characters have to be authentic, the situations real. Derek [Connolly, co-writer on the film] and I started with a blank page and worked all the way through the summer. The process got easier when we decided not to rush to meet that 2014 release date. There just wasn’t enough time. Steven [Spielberg] had the foresight to make that call, the studio was supportive, and I couldn’t be more grateful.

IGN: Can you tell us anything about how the film will look?

Trevorrow: We’re shooting 35mm and 65mm film. We’re also using an aspect ratio that hasn’t been seen theatrically in a very long time. The movie will be presented in 2 to 1. It’s basically a middle ground between 2.35 and 1.85. It allows us enough height to fit humans and dinosaurs into a single frame, without giving up that sense of scope. It’s very close to the ratio of the digital IMAX screens, so it will look great in large format. I think other filmmakers will want to give it a try when they see how it looks. It’s very comfortable.

IGN: Will any of the characters from the original films be returning for this one?

Trevorrow: I know a lot of fans want to see the original characters back. They’re iconic. But I respect those actors too much to shoehorn them into this story for my own sentimental reasons. Jurassic Park isn’t about the bad luck of three people who keep getting thrown into the same situation. The only reason they’d go back to that island is if the screenwriters contrived a reason for them to go. But there is a character from the first film who makes sense in our world. This hasn’t been announced yet, but BD Wong will be returning as Dr. Henry Wu. He had a much larger role in the original novel, he was the engineer of this breakthrough in de-extinction. He spent two decades living in Hammond’s shadow, underappreciated. We think there’s more to his story.

IGN: What can you tell us about Chris Pratt’s character in the movie?

Trevorrow: He’s a classic hero in a very modern context. He’s the guy who will get you through the jungle alive – but like Malcolm, Grant and Sattler, he’s an expert in a scientific field that’s connected to our story. The character allows us to explore some new ideas about our relationship with these animals, without losing the humor and sense of adventure. He’s a great contrast for Bryce Dallas Howard’s character, who starts off very corporate, very controlled. Until the running and screaming starts. Then they need each other.

IGN: How will your Jurassic movie differ to the previous films?

Trevorrow: I’m not on a mission to separate this film from the ones that came before. That will happen naturally – I have different instincts. But, like a lot of people my age, I grew up on Amblin movies. They’re a part of who I am as a filmmaker, and arguably as a person. This film will have a lot of new ideas in it, but I think the spirit will be familiar. It will have an old soul.
Old 04-21-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Concept Art:

Old 04-21-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,215 Likes on 2,074 Posts

^Very cool. Looks to be inspired by Dubai which makes me think Hammond's dream from JP 1 of having a park where everyone, regardless of wealth, could enjoy doesn't come true.
Old 04-22-14, 04:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I just got hard.

Seeing a fully operational Jurassic Park (World) has been something I've been wanting to see since '93! Even if it's not for that long before the dinos eff things up.
Old 04-22-14, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saw Trevorrow's film with Aubrey Plaza. It was good, a bit uneven in pace but entertaining. It'll be interesting how he does this one.
Old 04-22-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 286 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow)

Oh no, that annoying little shit from Iron Man 3 is in this? Goddamnit.
Old 04-22-14, 09:24 AM

Re: Jurassic World (2015, Trevorrow)

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Oh no, that annoying little shit from Iron Man 3 is in this? Goddamnit.
I thought most people liked him in that?
Old 04-22-14, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 286 Likes on 182 Posts

Not me. To be fair I think most child actors suck, but this particular kid annoyed me more than most.

I don't know what the consensus on the kid is, but I Googled "reasons why Iron Man 3 sucks" and the kid is on every list I looked at.
Old 04-22-14, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

The kid didn't bother me, but I think IM3 is the best Marvel movie yet, so I'd have trouble writing a "reasons why it sucked" list.
Old 04-23-14, 06:10 PM

Among the panoply of filmmakers to have contributed to Empire’s latest and 300thest issue – Coppola! Spielberg! Whedon! Fincher! – a less familiar name, Jurassic World’s Colin Trevorrow, chips in with a fascinating status report from his dino disaster movie. The big news? That Universal has further Jurassic movies planned and Trevorrow is keen to direct them - “if they’ll have me”. Warning: minor spoilers follow.

“We definitely talked about [sequels] a lot,” the director/co-writer revealed. “We wanted to create something that would be a little bit less arbitrary and episodic, and something that could potentially arc into a series that would feel like a complete story.”

With those story arcs already in place, Trevorrow hinted at the characters likely to participate in them across further films. One of them is cast newbie and Untouchable star Omar Sy. “He’s essentially Chris Pratt’s best friend,” he said of the Sy character. “They work together and have some pretty cool action scenes together. I wanted to create a relationship there that could be memorable and potentially carry on to future films.”

Before anyone points and shouts ‘Spoilersaurus!’, Trevorrow did say “could” rather than “will”. There’s still a chance, albeit a slender one, that Pratt’s ex-military man will still end up on a pterodactyl’s water biscuit.

While it’s well-known that Jurassic World revisits the Isla Nublar 22 years after the events depicted in Jurassic Park – the film’s shoot is currently underway in Hawaii, before heading to New Orleans – the specifics of what exactly has come to pass, dino-wise, in the intervening period are remaining under wraps. Trevorrow, though, was happy to confirm that he’ll be using animatronic dinosaurs and elaborated on the movie's broader set-up.

“It’s about alpha dominance and the fact that humans have been the alpha species for a very long time", he explained, "and so now we’ve brought back another that happened to be the alpha species during its time, and we have to co-exist, so what is that relationship?”

Jurassic World, which is set for release on June 12 next year, also stars Vincent D’Onofrio, Irrfan Khan, Nick Robinson, Ty Simpkins and some massively angry ‘sauruses. For much more on the movie – and many other movies – pick up a copy of Empire’s June issue from Thursday.
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=40832
Old 04-24-14, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm going to be upset if there isn't a scene with a person picking up a Barbasol can, looking at it and saying "huh."
Old 05-20-14, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

If this is even CLOSE to the actual storyline, I'm skipping this:

http://io9.com/the-plot-to-jurassic-...ulo-1578986495
Old 05-20-14, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

If done right it could still be a good movie. I am not dismissing the movie until I see how it looks.
Old 05-20-14, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If this is even CLOSE to the actual storyline, I'm skipping this:

http://io9.com/the-plot-to-jurassic-...ulo-1578986495

Idk, I mean it takes the logical next step in the slippery slope of genetic engineering. Plus it's not just a total rehash of "hey, let's go to dinosaur island and walk around because there's definitely no chance THAT'S a bad idea!"
Old 05-20-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I wouldn't watch that.
Old 05-20-14, 07:59 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

But will this explain Sharknado?
Old 05-21-14, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
But will this explain Sharknado?
You ruined the surprise. JP5 is named Rexnado

I hate to pre-judge so far in advance but that does look pretty horrible.
Old 05-21-14, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

My art has been commended as being strongly vaginal, which bothers some men.

The word itself makes some men uncomfortable.

Vagina.
Old 05-21-14, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That sounds really really bad. It's amazing how they can't make a good movie with guns and dinosaurs.
Old 05-21-14, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm torn. On the one hand at least there trying something different, and like another poster said that's more interesting than "An amusement park with Dinosaurs? What can go wrong?" and randomly seeing people be eaten. On the other hand, isn't that why we watch these movies? To see people get eaten?
Old 05-21-14, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Extra points if there is a 'Small World' ride and during it giant dinosaurs come busting in and crush all these tiny people.
Old 05-23-14, 08:46 AM

Somewhat of a spoiler -

Map of the park:

Spoiler:

Old 05-26-14, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,246 Likes on 857 Posts

Seriously ... a
Spoiler:
golf course
? I'm out.
Old 05-26-14, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Seriously ... a
Spoiler:
golf course
? I'm out.
Wait, seriously? That's your breaking point? How many of those are there at Disney parks? Once the park is up and running that seems like a natural thing to have.

There are probably gift shops too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.