Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

At this point, I’m happy having stayed out. There is too much baggage with the leadership of the companies — CEOs, Board of Directors, all of them. You would think at some point somebody would step in to course-correct the ship. I believe AMC’s launch and Alamo’s imminent product show there is some viability here. The $9.99 price point was a good tease, but it isn’t sustainable. Rather than bailing water out of the sinking ship and patching holes, MP & HMNY leadership is investing in a new motor and deck chairs.

Ousting the shysters running the show is what Wall Street is looking for.

A trail of lawsuits and a failed psychic hotline. Meet the Miami man running MoviePass

https://miamiherald.com/news/busines...213952134.html
Old 06-28-18, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

I don't think we believed it was sustainable. We were just riding along for as long as we could. I got my moneys' worth.

It wasn't like we (well, most of us) were investing money in the company.
Old 06-28-18, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://www.thewrap.com/how-much-lon...oing-bankrupt/

One financial analyst says he's 80% certain Movie Pass goes bankrupt.

Losses for June are projected to be around $45M
Old 06-28-18, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Yeah, I didn't ever really expect to last (which is why I never invested in the annual membership), but even if it goes bankrupt tomorrow, I won't regret having been a member. It was a great deal for me, having gotten much more than $9.99 worth every month.
Old 06-28-18, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Once Movie Pass officially goes Kapoot, I'll look into the AMC counterpart.

I do hope Regal does something similar in the future. There's one really close to where I live and I prefer going there when possible.
Old 06-28-18, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Once Movie Pass officially goes Kapoot, I'll look into the AMC counterpart.

I do hope Regal does something similar in the future. There's one really close to where I live and I prefer going there when possible.
Once MP goes Kapoot, the AMC counterpart will raise in price by at least 10 bucks, plus restrictions, unless Regal just goes to war with them before that. Considering movie theater chains never really went to war over ticket prices before, I kinda doubt that'll h appen.
Old 06-28-18, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

New FAQ up, I quoted some of it below. There's a convenience fee when you buy a friends ticket at full price, only at eticket locations. There's a convenience fee plus the difference in cost if you want to upgrade to Imax or whatever. That's some BS right there. Also what limited inventory are they talking about?

https://support.moviepass.com/hc/en-...Bring-a-Friend

Why is MoviePass doing this?

The new peak pricing feature is aimed at providing additional flexibility for us and our users around popular movies and times for which there is limited inventory. We are building peak pricing to be flexible and will be able to tweak it as needed based on the community’s response.
Will I be charged for my guest’s ticket?

Yes, the credit card you have on file with MoviePass will be charged for the price of your guest’s ticket. The second ticket is full retail price plus a convenience fee of $1.50, but if the guest signs up for MoviePass within 24 hours the second ticket price will be removed from the member's credit card.

How will MoviePass support RealD 3D and IMAX movies?

MoviePass members will be able to see RealD 3D and IMAX movies by paying the difference between the premium ticket price and standard ticket price, plus a convenience fee of $1.50 through the MoviePass app. Then, members will be able to check in on the app as they normally would and the balance will be billed to the member's credit card on file.
Old 06-28-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

So it will cost more to purchase the friends ticket than if they just bought it themselves at the counter?
Old 06-28-18, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
So it will cost more to purchase the friends ticket than if they just bought it themselves at the counter?
Yes.
Old 06-28-18, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yes.
Hahaha well anyone who falls for this BS...

Old 06-28-18, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Unclejosh
Hahaha well anyone who falls for this BS...
If you're buying tickets for a theater that has reserved seating, it makes it easier to guarantee that you and your friend will be able to sit together. How, exactly, is the "falling" for something. People still have the option to go to the ticket counter together and use two cards, or just buy their tickets on their own.

It's just a convenience thing.
Old 06-28-18, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The answer to all of the problems is in your in-box ... MoviePass merch is NOW available!

Declare your undying love to a dying company by sporting the latest fashion trend ... MoviePass merch! Enjoy a night on the town while we track you in this plain black t-shirt with the MP logo! Don’t want to be seen alone at the movies? Try our plain white MoviePass hoodie!

As if our deeply discounted stock sale wasn’t enough, we’re taking 25% off all merch orders placed in the next 48 hours. After that the terms will change repeatedly. And the shirts may not come with sleeves (but you can add them for an additional convenience and service charge).
Old 06-28-18, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk God

The convenience surcharge is BS. So you would be paying an extra $5 or so plus $1.50.

But I guess how else will they make money on these additions?
Old 06-28-18, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
The answer to all of the problems is in your in-box ... MoviePass merch is NOW available!

Declare your undying love to a dying company by sporting the latest fashion trend ... MoviePass merch! Enjoy a night on the town while we track you in this plain black t-shirt with the MP logo! Don’t want to be seen alone at the movies? Try our plain white MoviePass hoodie!

As if our deeply discounted stock sale wasn’t enough, we’re taking 25% off all merch orders placed in the next 48 hours. After that the terms will change repeatedly. And the shirts may not come with sleeves (but you can add them for an additional convenience and service charge).
Bonus: Wear that merch to a theater and get mistaken for a representative and yelled at. By customers and theater employees.
Old 06-28-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have absolutely no problem paying the difference for an IMAX movie. Beats paying $15. I like having that option.
Old 06-28-18, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 746 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I have absolutely no problem paying the difference for an IMAX movie. Beats paying $15. I like having that option.
The difference + a convenience fee. Yes it's still better than paying full price, but it's also BS.
Old 06-28-18, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,202 Likes on 4,229 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Bonus: Wear that merch to a theater and get mistaken for a representative and yelled at. By customers and theater employees.

It's the perfect thing to wear when your red MAGA hat doesn't piss enough people off.
Old 06-28-18, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
The difference + a convenience fee. Yes it's still better than paying full price, but it's also BS.
Better than the price doubling. I think they're trying everything to avoid a price increase.
Old 06-28-18, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah and with this nickel and dime (or fifteen of them), many people won't really notice or consider it the same way they would if the price went to 19.95 or something.

Not sure what I think. I'm totally supportive of paying the delta between regular and 3d. But the convenience fee is a little annoying.

And paying 1.50 for the convenience of covering the other ticket? No thanks. If I can buy the tickets online then maybe. So I'll just continue to annoy the cashier and say "Two tickets for Show X, paid for separately".
[Last weekend there was an elderly couple buying tix for Incredibles with MP right in front of me. The annoying part is they basically stood right there at the kiosk trying to take a picture, and it was clear they had never done it before. The guy was, 'No, click MP, no, to the right, no, do this' and the woman was just getting nowhere. I took my pic after getting home.]

That apparel is crazy. They should have released them back when they charged 30/40 a month and had 20k customers to try to build more customer base then. Too cheap, too big, too fast, too crazy.
Old 06-28-18, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
The convenience surcharge is BS. So you would be paying an extra $5 or so plus $1.50.

But I guess how else will they make money on these additions?
You would be paying the difference between a standard 2D ticket and a 3D/IMAX ticket, plus $1.50. I don't see the problem. But maybe that is because, before I signed up for MP, I was already used to paying the extra fee whenever I purchased tickets through Fandango (which was most of the time, because of the convenience). Or are you all saying that Fandango is "BS" as well?
Old 06-29-18, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoboDad
You would be paying the difference between a standard 2D ticket and a 3D/IMAX ticket, plus $1.50. I don't see the problem. But maybe that is because, before I signed up for MP, I was already used to paying the extra fee whenever I purchased tickets through Fandango (which was most of the time, because of the convenience). Or are you all saying that Fandango is "BS" as well?
No I have no problem with Fandango. I've used them many times and have paid the $1.50 convenience fee as they are acting like a ticket broker like Ticketmaster to provide convenience. With AMC's stub program the fee is also waived.

What I find annoying is Movie Pass changing the rules constantly because they're running low on cash and need to raise funds in desperation. Cutting off repeat viewings was the start of this craziness and then the peak times thing. The peak times surcharge being the most absurd. And now they're trying to sell Movie Pass swag. Like anyone's going to buy them.

I have no issue paying the difference for a premium show. They should have allowed it from the start. I know they cost more and someone has to make money out of it. But, it seems like every other month there is a new rule change.

Last edited by DJariya; 06-29-18 at 12:16 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What if they start charging the convenience fee for loading your debit card up for each movie you want to watch, what are you going to say then? The claim they made that this is similar to a credit card transaction fee is ridiculous, they load up the card every time you see a movie, are you telling me they're losing a buck in addition to the cost of the movie every single time?

Not to mention that this "convenience" is only for theaters they partner with for e-ticketing, where they reportedly already get a discount on each ticket anyway. So you're paying them full price for an extra ticket, plus the fee, on a ticket they (probably) get a discount on. And even the shenanigans where you can have your friend sign up and they refund the ticket? They don't refund the convenience fee.

On a side note, if you're going to a showing where you're in fear that there won't be enough seats to sit next to each other and you have to put it in the same transaction... that's going to be a crowded theater. Tack on a few extra surge pricing bucks (on your ticket, not on your friend's).

I get it, it's a revenue stream (just like the merchandise), and the fees have not added up to the point where you're disgusted with the service, Robodad, but don't tell me you can't see why others are starting to get there.

edited to add: So the unofficial official moviepass reddit guy says that there won't be a convenience fee on the premium tickets:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MoviePassCl...gk&sh=c0b0bf84

Hello all - we sat down with our product team and have some clarification. The $1.50 convenience fee is only on Bring A Guest. There is no convenience fee on Premium Showings. Sorry for the confusion.

We have let the team know to fix the FAQs. As always thanks for pointing this out.
So this is good. Doesn't give me a lot of confidence that they don't play fast and loose with what they're doing but for now, good. There is no way that this was just a typo, though, the premium section and the companion ticket sections of the faq are completely separate.

Last edited by fujishig; 06-29-18 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-29-18, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I think that Fandango convenience fee is BS. And I especially think the convenience fee of buying a ticket from the theater's own app is total BS. However, I don't have much of a problem with this convenience fee and don't understand why everyone is such up in arms over this change. MP is $10/month for AYCE movies. That is a ridiculous price so if they charge a small amount as a convenience fee for something that is optional I don't have a problem with that. Would you rather the company go out of business and go back to paying $10+ per movie? It's like complaining about baggage fees for budget airlines. Yeah you have to pay for a bag because you just paid $50 for a flight. You're still likely saving a lot more money vs a standard airline.

It's not like this is Ticketmaster who absolutely unequivocally don't provide any kind of a service anymore in the internet era and charge a RIDICULOUS amount for the privilege of using their website that doesn't even work very well. Those are the companies that are ripping people off.
Old 06-29-18, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

... and now exclusive Black Panther merch!
Old 06-29-18, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I think that Fandango convenience fee is BS. And I especially think the convenience fee of buying a ticket from the theater's own app is total BS. However, I don't have much of a problem with this convenience fee and don't understand why everyone is such up in arms over this change. MP is $10/month for AYCE movies. That is a ridiculous price so if they charge a small amount as a convenience fee for something that is optional I don't have a problem with that. Would you rather the company go out of business and go back to paying $10+ per movie? It's like complaining about baggage fees for budget airlines. Yeah you have to pay for a bag because you just paid $50 for a flight. You're still likely saving a lot more money vs a standard airline.

It's not like this is Ticketmaster who absolutely unequivocally don't provide any kind of a service anymore in the internet era and charge a RIDICULOUS amount for the privilege of using their website that doesn't even work very well. Those are the companies that are ripping people off.

I have the Sinemia 3 movies a month plan and I have to pay the Fandango convenience fee, which is still a deal since I am basically getting 3 tickets for the price of one at my preferred reserved seating theater.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.