Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-17, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Upgraded the to new plan both my wife and I. This is a slam dunk for us.
Old 11-17-17, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Seriously thinking of switching. I activated my card on Nov 1 and have seen 7 movies at 4 different theaters. Total has been $60 so I would hit $90 in one month. Easy.

Of course, I'm going to the movies more because it's a no-brainer at $10/month. Normally, I would go once a week. Only reservation is if they go under. I have a week or so to think it over.

But, it's a shrewd business move considering December is coming up. Someone mentioned it would be a great Christmas gift, now that you can pay the whole year off. My money is this deal will end come January 1.
Old 11-17-17, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
But, it's a shrewd business move considering December is coming up. Someone mentioned it would be a great Christmas gift, now that you can pay the whole year off. My money is this deal will end come January 1.
Also, gifting isn't usually allowed, but they did put some kind of process in place for a limited time.

I think the deal will end when they reach a magic number of paid subscribers...

Oh, I don't remember if it was mentioned here, but when they changed the TOS last month, they put some new language in. One of the new things is that you can't resubscribe for 9 months if you quit.
Old 11-17-17, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah that 9 month thing is a little old, but I saw comments to some of the articles where people said they would cancel and re-sub just in time for the big movie seasons, so I can see MP trying to minimize that extreme example.

Question - how do you all work it when you want to buy multiple tickets for the same showing? As in, seeing a movie with people and want the MP to cover my ticket. I guess I could just ask them to do two totally separate transactions but one of my theatres is assigned seating. Theoretically one could order multiple tix, scan the MP for whatever it went for, then pay out of pocket for the rest, but their TOS are definitely phrased a little firmer than they used to be, especially with that cash charge for each instance of noncompliance.
Old 11-17-17, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would think separate transactions unless the theater allows to use multiple forms of payment for one transaction.

As for reserve seating, just have to make separate transactions and be quick to snag adjoining seats. My app doesn't indicate if theaters have reserved seats even when that's all they have (Alamo).

Speaking of Alamo Drafthouse, when I used my MP there, the counter gal asked if I had checked in. I said "Yep, just did it outside." She said they've been getting people that haven't checked in yet, so they are being proactive in asking.
Old 11-17-17, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm in. I watch 2-3 movies a month. When I don't have MP I don't watch movies but it's a very enjoyable experience for me when I get to do it.
Old 11-17-17, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Yeah that 9 month thing is a little old, but I saw comments to some of the articles where people said they would cancel and re-sub just in time for the big movie seasons, so I can see MP trying to minimize that extreme example.

Question - how do you all work it when you want to buy multiple tickets for the same showing? As in, seeing a movie with people and want the MP to cover my ticket. I guess I could just ask them to do two totally separate transactions but one of my theatres is assigned seating. Theoretically one could order multiple tix, scan the MP for whatever it went for, then pay out of pocket for the rest, but their TOS are definitely phrased a little firmer than they used to be, especially with that cash charge for each instance of noncompliance.
You start # of people - 1 days ahead. Want to go on a Friday with 2 other people, go on Wednesday, sign in for random movie you don't want to see, get an advance ticket for your movie on Friday. Repeat on Thursday. Then on Friday sign in for your movie and buy the third ticket.

EDIT: They changed their TOS, you used to be able to only see each movie once and now you can see any movie multiple times, so just sign in to your movie on three different days. Even easier.
Old 11-17-17, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
You start # of people - 1 days ahead. Want to go on a Friday with 2 other people, go on Wednesday, sign in for random movie you don't want to see, get an advance ticket for your movie on Friday. Repeat on Thursday. Then on Friday sign in for your movie and buy the third ticket.
He's not trying to get around the TOS to purchase multiple tickets with his Moviepass account (please don't do this), he's trying to purchase tickets together so they can sit together and just buy his separately with moviepass.
Old 11-17-17, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yep - I want to buy three tickets, and have MP pay for mine.
MP activates for like 11.50 or something which is slightly more than one ticket (at least matinee), so I either have to pay for one with MP then the others on my card, or run the risk of them catching that I bought 1.25 tickets with the MP instead of just 1.

But tonight it turns out the only seats were in the front row (another side effect of going to reserved seating -bigger seats, so fewer of them, and the front row really sucks), so we didn't see anything tonight.
Old 11-17-17, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 743 Likes on 368 Posts

I've found that usually at theaters with assigned seating, if you just walk up to the counter with your whole group, they will usually let you select x number of seats together and pay for each seat with a different credit card.

Or another trick that I've used if my friends want to buy tickets in advance, I tell them to buy seats with single seat gap in the middle (usually people won't buy a single open seat in the middle of a row). And then I buy the extra seat with my MoviePass when I get there. Sometimes I have time and am in the area, I will run up and buy the extra seat earlier in the day (instead of waiting until right before showtime)

You are of course taking a risk that someone else might buy that seat, but I've never had that happen yet. If I'm going with just one other person, I have them buy the second seat off the aisle, leaving a single open seat for me.

Last edited by Obi-Wanma; 11-17-17 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-17-17, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 960 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Someone mentioned elsewhere that they're planning for an IPO around March of next year. So on the bright side, they should be around at least until then, but this does seem like a way to drum up sub numbers to make the IPO more attractive (though are investors really that dumb to just look at growth and not how they're attaining that growth and whether there's a path to profitability?). But what do we care as long as we can go to cheap movies?
I guess an IPO could be both good and bad. On one hand you (hopefully) have more investors and more cash but on the other hand you need to demonstrate profit and growth a lot more.

Either way there's no way I'd invest in Movie Pass but I sure am going to take advantage of it while it's still here.
Old 11-18-17, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Anyone have issues with MP this evening?

Just had my first hiccup and it sure was frustrating. I had checked early in the day and decided to check out a late night showtime. Upon arriving at the theater, I pull up my phone and it shows no theaters available. I was able to click the "no theater" option and had one of "check-in if movie is missing" messages. Only clicking on that did no good, it couldn't tell I was standing right at the front door of the theater. I updated the app and then uninstalled/reinstalled it to no avail.

I had 2 choices, go ahead and pay out of pocket for the film and work on being reimbursed (heard others indicate a need to do that previously) or give up. I chose the latter, now out 45 minutes of my time round trip.

I do plan to contact them about this "glitch", but there's not much they can do about it. Aside from fix it. Just checked my phone now and it still shows no theater.

Hope this difficulty is isolated. I've used MP nearly 25 times and it's been a flawless experience. Tonight was irritating, however.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 11-19-17 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-18-17, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

I had a hiccup too today. Took a few minutes to load before it accepted my checkin.
Old 11-19-17, 07:01 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111

Just had my first hiccup and it sure was frustrating. I had checked early in the day and decided to check out a late night showtime. Upon arriving at the theater, I pull up my phone and it shows no theaters available. I was able to click the "no theater" option and had one of "check-in if movie is missing" messages. Only clicking on that did no good, it couldn't tell I was standing right at the front door of the theater. I updated the app and then uninstalled/reinstalled it to no avail.

I had 2 choices, go ahead and pay out of pocket for the film and work on being reimbursed (heard others indicate a need to do that previously) or give up. I chose the latter, now out 45 minutes of my time round trip.

I do plan to contact them about this "glitch", but there's not much they can do about it. Aside from fix it. Just checked my phone now and it still shows no theater.

Hope this difficulty is isolated. I've used MP nearly 25 times and it's been a flawless experience. Tonight was irritating, however.
Have you tried restarting your phone?
Old 11-19-17, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just had my first hiccup and it sure was frustrating. I had checked early in the day and decided to check out a late night showtime. Upon arriving at the theater, I pull up my phone and it shows no theaters available.
Didn't you buy your ticket within the 30 mins from check-in?
Old 11-19-17, 08:43 AM

There was an outage last night. They posted this on their Facebook page just now

Originally Posted by MoviePass
Last night, MoviePass experienced a brief outage that impacted our members' ability to check in to movies. If you are a current member and paid out of pocket Saturday night, please submit your ticket stub or receipt to [email protected]. Thank you.
Old 11-19-17, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Month to month is still great, but you guys balking at this concept realize MoviePass locked people into one year contracts in the first few years of the service, at 30-40 a month, right? There was still a risk of them going under, changing the terms, or kicking people out and then making them pay the full fee. Paying 90 up front is pretty damn generous and safe compared to that.
I would much rather lose only $10 than $90, if the program goes under.
Old 11-19-17, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb

EDIT: They changed their TOS, you used to be able to only see each movie once and now you can see any movie multiple times, so just sign in to your movie on three different days. Even easier.
But still gaming the system, and violating the TOS.
Old 11-19-17, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
Have you tried restarting your phone?
Yes. Did everything I possibly could. Sounds like it was down for everyone. Hopefully a random event. I've had zero issues until last night.

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Didn't you buy your ticket within the 30 mins from check-in?
I probably wasn't clear. I checked the app that morning for showtimes. There was one at 10:45 last night. Got to the theater and pulled up the app and there were no theater/film listings at all. So I couldn't check in.
Old 11-19-17, 02:04 PM

If you want to buy your ticket out of pocket if/when that happens again, you shouldn't have any problem getting a refund. It might take a couple of weeks for them to get to your email and process your refund, but they will. They will just issue a refund to the card that you pay with in the amount of the ticket. When this has happened to me, I have used that same card to buy the ticket, that way the refund gets issued to the same place.
Old 11-19-17, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
If you want to buy your ticket out of pocket if/when that happens again, you shouldn't have any problem getting a refund. It might take a couple of weeks for them to get to your email and process your refund, but they will. They will just issue a refund to the card that you pay with in the amount of the ticket. When this has happened to me, I have used that same card to buy the ticket, that way the refund gets issued to the same place.
I considered it. And probably would have had I been with others or if it was a film I was really anxious to see. But I figured it would take time based on what you and others have said about their response time and didn't want to go through the hassle.
Old 11-19-17, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I probably wasn't clear. I checked the app that morning for showtimes. There was one at 10:45 last night. Got to the theater and pulled up the app and there were no theater/film listings at all. So I couldn't check in.
Gotcha!
Old 11-20-17, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some may find MoviePass' competitor www.sinemia.com as an option instead of, or complement to, MP.

I heard about it recently but have not given it a try, so this is just a notice that it is out there.

Some features:

Monthly Membership:
 Tickets for any theater, any day, any showtime, any movie
 2D - 3D - IMAX - 4DX - DBOX - ScreenX
 Buy tickets in advance from home or at the theater
 Your card will be sent right away, shipped free
 Bonus: Invitations to premieres, galas, and special events

There is an option of "sinemia for two" so when you buy tickets, you get two tickets instead of one.

The main drawbacks are price and the limit on tickets you buy per month, but there are features that MP does not have.

The main positives are the types of movies you can see, ordering from home, "couples" plan.

The positives don't really fit me other than the ordering at home, so I'll probably pass.
Old 11-21-17, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you guys get the survey email about Justice League? I thought there were two interesting questions.

1) Did you purchase concessions?

2) (paraphrase) Would you have seen it if you didn't have MoviePass?

It was pretty short, only like five or six questions.
Old 11-21-17, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's the direct data-fication. I did not get that survey. Was it email or in the app?
I did buy concessions. and I would have seen JL anyway. But there's a ton of movies I wouldn't have seen without MP.

The few times i had to do the OOP reimbursement, I never had a problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.