Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Trevor
Deleted old wiki from another thread that was moved here by the update
Print Wikipost

MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-17, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
re: MoviePass... would it work for you? [UPDATE: THE DEAD SHALL RISE]

I posted this in another thread, but I had a "glitch" with the MP last night. Noticed a showing of Three Billboards... at an AMC 25 miles away. On a whim, checked my AMC app and didn't see it listed. Figured I'd better check. A call to the theater verified the film wasn't playing there and I wasn't the first one to inquire about it. Fortunately I didn't waste a trip. Not sure how this happened.
Old 12-01-17, 09:40 AM

Received 1,906 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Mine came mid-November and I saw two movies. I've been sick and so have the kids most of the month so I'm satisfied.

Does the "month" reset on the 1st or the date when the card arrives?
Old 12-01-17, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 740 Likes on 366 Posts

Your next billing date should be exactly one month from when you activated the card.
Old 12-01-17, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
I posted this in another thread, but I had a "glitch" with the MP last night. Noticed a showing of Three Billboards... at an AMC 25 miles away. On a whim, checked my AMC app and didn't see it listed. Figured I'd better check. A call to the theater verified the film wasn't playing there and I wasn't the first one to inquire about it. Fortunately I didn't waste a trip. Not sure how this happened.
Not sure what could've happened. As a rule of thumb, I never use the MP app to see what's playing. I usually use the theater's website or Fandango.
Old 12-01-17, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Just finished out my first month using MoviePass. I wound up seeing 10 movies at five different theaters starting on Nov 1st. Not a bad mixture of studio/indie movies.

1. American Made
2. Thor Ragnarok
3. Mansfield 66/67
4. Bad Mom's Christmas
5. Murder on the Orient Express
6. A Killing of a Sacred Deer
7. Justice League
8. Lady Bird
9. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
10. Coco
About A dollar a movie. Very nice.
Just watched Thor and Justice League last month.Going to watch Lady Bird tonight .And I want to see Blade Runner before it leaves the theaters.
American Made was good.

Ordered cards for my wife and kid.She is close enough to 18.
Found out Tuesday is discount ticket day for most theaters near me.
Must be within 100 yards to use app is interesting.
Old 12-01-17, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
My viewing history on the MP app stopped updating a week or 2 ago. A little disappointed since I like to occasionally scroll through what I've seen.
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Mine is missing three movies... but they're not my last three. It only shows six movies but I've seen nine.
Mine has upated, adding the last two movies I saw. Can't figure out a correlation between the ones that don't show.
Old 12-05-17, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I got an email from my Cinemark theater that they are offering a movieclub for $8.99 a month. Unfortunately, it's only for one 2D movie. but you get 20% off concessions which does intrigue me because it costs me $12 for a drink and popcorn. Another plus is you can reserve seats online.

I can't help but think that this is in response to Moviepass.
Old 12-05-17, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My Cinemark is $4.50 for a 2D movie until 6pm everyday.
Old 12-05-17, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
I got an email from my Cinemark theater that they are offering a movieclub for $8.99 a month. Unfortunately, it's only for one 2D movie. but you get 20% off concessions which does intrigue me because it costs me $12 for a drink and popcorn. Another plus is you can reserve seats online.

I can't help but think that this is in response to Moviepass.
Is it 20% off just for that one ticket or for the month? Because otherwise it just seems like a discounted pass for a single movie.
Old 12-05-17, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 724 Likes on 529 Posts

Cinemark Unveils Monthly Movie Subscription Program to Battle MoviePass
By Dave McNary @Variety_DMcNary

Cinemark has unveiled a monthly subscription program, dubbed Movie Club, that lets customers buy a movie ticket a month for a discount price of $8.99, in addition to 20% off on concessions.

The Texas-based chain, which owns about 350 theaters with more than 4,500 screens, unveiled the program on Tuesday. It also allows members to roll over unused tickets every month and buy additional ones for friends at the lower price.

Cinemark’s move appears to be a specific response to MoviePass, which began offering unlimited films in theaters for $9.95 a month earlier this year.

MoviePass announced last month that it was debuting a limited-time subscription that allows users to pay $6.95 a month to watch a movie a day for a year, with the provision that users commit to a 12-month subscription.

MoviePass pays theaters the full price for a ticket, so it is in essence subsidizing its users’ moviegoing and losing money each time they check out a film. The average movie ticket cost $8.60 through the first three quarters of 2017, but in major cities, such as Los Angeles and New York, tickets often cost more than $10.

AMC, the country’s largest chain, threatened legal action against MoviePass in August and predicted that the the company would fail because its business model was not sustainable. There is anxiety among exhibitors that customers will get accustomed to paying a discounted rate for tickets, which will depress prices.

The move comes with domestic box office revenues for 2017 trailing last year by about 4% thanks to disappointing movie performance in the summer and in October, according to comScore.
Old 12-05-17, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

They need to do their research, they make it seem like the Moviepass 6.99 thing is still available. Makes sense for Cinemark since they're getting paid full price for the Moviepass tickets anyway, and now they can get a monthly fee plus people will buy more concessions with the discount off a 15 dollar tub of overpriced popcorn.
Old 12-05-17, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,186 Likes on 4,213 Posts

I was disappointed that I couldn't use my Movie Pass for Titanic 3D (I knew I wasn't able to; I just didn't like paying for an $18 ticket to a 20 year old movie). But I had just joined AMC Stubs Premiere as I figured if I was going to have to pay $2.25 for an online ticket purchase (which I wanted to do so I could get a Titanic UV code with purchase), I might as well pay an extra $12.75 and get a year of Stubs benefits.
I noticed that the same theater was offering a free Disney pin with purchase of ticket to Coco last weekend. Since i was there already, I just used my Movie Pass to buy a ticket to Coco and got a free pin out of the trip so it wasn't a complete loss.
Spoiler:

I'd highly recommend spending the $15 on a Stubs membership for Movie Pass owners
Old 12-05-17, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The main thing keeping me from a Stubs membership is the fact that my nearest theater isn't an AMC. Well that, plus my fear that AMC will either find a way to successfully block them, or they go under soon.
Old 12-05-17, 03:24 PM

Well, it's $15, lasts a year, they give you a free XL drink with membership, that's $6, free upgrades with every popcorn or soda, that's what $2 each time, waive online booking fees that may or may not be of any use with MP purchases. I think you could find your break-even point pretty quickly if you go to them sometimes.

You get $5 with every $50 spent using the program. That's $5 with every 5 movie tickets purchased with MP.
Old 12-05-17, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Technically, though, if you use Moviepass you're not supposed to be eligible for Stubs. While I doubt they can legally restrict Moviepass members from buying tickets (since it's just a debit card) they would be within their rights to restrict points earned.

But you're right, it's probably worth it and I'm too lazy. I'll get on it.
Old 12-05-17, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
Technically, though, if you use Moviepass you're not supposed to be eligible for Stubs. While I doubt they can legally restrict Moviepass members from buying tickets (since it's just a debit card) they would be within their rights to restrict points earned.

It's just a debit card, their system can't tell the difference between MoviePass and any other MasterCard debit card. The only thing they can do is train their register jockeys to tell you that you can't use your Stubs card with MoviePass (which in some areas they have been doing), but they can't stop you from using it at the kiosk.
Old 12-05-17, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Well, it's $15, lasts a year, they give you a free XL drink with membership, that's $6, free upgrades with every popcorn or soda, that's what $2 each time, waive online booking fees that may or may not be of any use with MP purchases. I think you could find your break-even point pretty quickly if you go to them sometimes.
I only save about a dollar with popcorn and soda upgrades (when purchasing both) at my theater. It's around 50 cents each. Large is around 50 cents more than small, and there are no medium sizes anymore.
Old 12-05-17, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig

Is that correct? I have used my Stubs account with MP several times. Never had an issue.

I don't see any wording precluding it :

* Discount applies to full price tickets only. Total discount will not result in a discounted ticket price below the lowest published non-promotional Adult price for the same movie, theatre and day. Present your card or member number to receive Tuesday Ticket Savings at participating theatres, only at the box office. Upcharges and exclusions may apply.

** AMC Stubs Insider rewards may be redeemed for concession purchases only.

AMC Stubs members are eligible for one large popcorn refill on day of purchase only. Premiere service available at participating locations only.
Old 12-05-17, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Decker
Is that correct? I have used my Stubs account with MP several times. Never had an issue.

I don't see any wording precluding it :
https://www.amctheatres.com/amcstubs...and-conditions

c. Ineligible Purchases.

The following purchases or products are NOT eligible toward earning points or redemption of rewards:
•AMC pre-paid discount, bulk or exchange tickets, Show Snack Coupons, passes or free admissions of any sort, subscriptions (including Movie Pass) or other discounted or bulk purchase items, either at the time of purchase OR time of redemption.
Old 12-05-17, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I mean they mention MoviePass by name now...

Oops, ninja'd by Obi-Wan
Old 12-05-17, 04:05 PM

Ah, I didn't see that page.

Anyway, I haven't had a problem so far. And you could buy your ticket in automated kiosk. I can't imagine the machine can tell a Movie Pass from a Master Card.

And this whole Stubs Premiere thing is so weird with the dollars-to-points conversion. It looks like it's not a good deal compared to the free program but I bet it actually is for most people.
Old 12-05-17, 04:13 PM

If you're a frequent moviegoer, Stubs Premiere is infinitely better than the free program. Disregarding any other perks, you accrue points 80% faster.

Also, technically you also violated the MoviePass TOS by purchasing tickets for a movie that you didn't stay to watch, but I don't know how they plan on enforcing that one.
Old 12-05-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I gotta go get a Stubs card. I keep forgetting
Old 12-05-17, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

That Cinemark deal sucks. They have offered the monthly email coupons for concessions going back years, and it's usually good for discounts or freebies on popcorn or a drink. Tuesday is $6.50 night.
Old 12-05-17, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts

Is there a top limit that MP will pay per ticket? Went to a showing that showed up on the pass. It happened to be one of those bogus 'pay a little more for our biggest screen' deals and the total was $14 but for some reason MP only paid $12. It was a 2D showing and it was listed on the MP app so I didn't expect and issue. Anyone else have an issue like this?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.