Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Name a few lesser known movies that you love that are from a big name director.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Name a few lesser known movies that you love that are from a big name director.

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-11, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Name a few lesser known movies that you love that are from a big name director.

John Huston - Wise Blood
Alfred Hitchcock - Rope and Stage Fright

Last edited by Paul1957; 04-16-11 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-16-11, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Name a few lesser known movies that you love that are from a big name director.

Originally Posted by mike7162
I've always loved Oliver Stone's U Turn, but don't know anyone else who likes it.
I think Brian De Palma's Femme Fatale is a masterpiece and his last great film (so far, I hope).
I love U-Turn. It's got an amazing cast and the film they shot in on really gives it a unique look. In my top 3 Stone movies
Old 04-16-11, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does Richard Linkletter count for Before Sunrise and Before Sunset?
Old 04-16-11, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Billy Wilder-Five Graves To Cairo
Old 04-16-11, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts

Paul Verhoeven - The 4th Man
Old 04-16-11, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mamoru Oshii - Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer

Roland Emmerich - Moon 44

Last edited by dugan; 04-16-11 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-16-11, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

Peter Weir - The Mosquito Coast

Clint Eastwood - Bronco Billy, and White Hunter, Black Heart
Old 04-16-11, 11:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Spielberg - Empire of the Sun

such a great movie.
Old 04-17-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Patterson

such a great movie.
I agree.

My introduction to Christian Bale (Which, to my surprise, many other fellow "Gen X'ers" failed to notice)
Old 04-17-11, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Jim Patterson

such a great movie.
The name rings a bell but I am certain that I have never seen Empire of the Sun... thanks for mentioning it! I gotta see it after reading this editorial review from Amazon.com .....>>
Roundly dismissed as one of Steven Spielberg's least successful efforts, this very underrated film poignantly follows the World War II adventures of young Jim (a brilliant Christian Bale), caught in the throes of the fall of China. What if you once had everything and lost it all in an afternoon? What if you were only 12? Bale's transformation, from pampered British ruling-class child to an imprisoned, desperate, nearly feral boy, is nothing short of stunning. Also stunning are exceptional sets, cinematography, and music (the last courtesy of John Williams) that enhance author J.G. Ballard's and screenwriter Tom Stoppard's depiction of another, less familiar casualty of war.
In a time when competitors were releasing "comedic," derivative coming-of-age films, Empire of the Sun stands out as an epic in the classic David Lean sense--despite confusion or perceived competition with the equally excellent The Last Emperor (also released in 1987, and also a coming-of-age in a similar setting). It is also a remarkable testament to, yes, the human spirit. And despite its disappointing box-office returns, Empire of the Sun helped to further establish Spielberg as more than a commercial director and set the standard, tone, and look for future efforts Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan. --N.F. Mendoza
Old 04-17-11, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've yet to see that movie...always wanted to.
Old 04-17-11, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Great movie and with Christian Bale as a kid.
Old 04-17-11, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Woody Allen - Radio Days and Zelig
Old 04-17-11, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's good but I wouldn't call it great. It seems confused as to exactly what kind of movie it wants to be.
Old 04-18-11, 01:21 AM
Banned

It's not a drama? That's what it looks like...
Old 04-18-11, 08:30 AM

Roman Polanski - Pirates, What!

Brian de Palma - Greetings, Hi Mom
Old 04-18-11, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Albert Brooks' two "life" movies-- "Real Life" (1979) and "Defending Your Life" (1991). Actually all of Albert Brook's directorial efforts are off the mainstream radar.

Oliver Stone's "Heaven and Earth" (1993).
Old 04-18-11, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Even though he only made around 7 movies, and I've only seen 4 of them (yet own 6...damn), Sergio Leone's first feature, Colossus of Rhodes is excellent.
Old 04-18-11, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
Albert Brooks' two "life" movies-- "Real Life" (1979) and "Defending Your Life" (1991). Actually all of Albert Brook's directorial efforts are off the mainstream radar.

Oliver Stone's "Heaven and Earth" (1993).
I really like Defending Your Life but having just seen Real Life, on account of the Favorite Grodin film thread, I have to say it wasn't that great on the basis of Grodin being criminally underused. I get why the film changed, but the length of the film hurts the best character.

Heaven and Earth would definitely be my Stone pick, a very good film with a great score.
Old 04-18-11, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

De Palma's Phantom of the Paradise.
Old 04-18-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Maybe not too big of a director to the average person but Wim Wender's Until the End of the World. One of my top 5 favorites and would love in high-def!
Old 04-18-11, 10:49 PM

No disrespect to Wim Wenders, but there's no way he's a "big name director." All of his films are "lesser known."

I was going to name a Jim Jarmusch movie, but that's not the point of this thread.
Old 04-18-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wim Wenders not a big named director? This ain't the IMDB forum.
Old 04-19-11, 01:28 AM

He's not. Sorry, that's the truth.
I don't think any of his films have ever grossed more than $10 million.
You could ask 300 random people on the street if they know who he is and not get a single yes.

If Wim Wenders is a big enough name for this thread, then why aren't we talking about the "lesser known" films of such household names as Jarmusch, Hal Hartley, Alex Cox, Abel Ferrara, James Gray, Bruce McDonald
Old 04-19-11, 02:05 AM
Banned

yeah, Wenders isn't a big name. He's a fine director, sure. He's not Coppola, Spielberg, Scorsese, Nolan, Coen Bros, Hitchcock, Burton, Bay, Ford, Kurosawa, etc etc etc big. Hell more people know about Michael Bay than Wenders. The Recognizable level doesn't equal to quality all the time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.